1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite RRR game?

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by 8timechamps, Oct 3, 2011.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I've had the fortune of being at many OU/Texas games, but my fondest memory is from a game I watch on TV. 2004 #2 OU versus #5 Texas. It was AD's coming out party, his freshman year. AD was amazing that day. It was almost as if he told himself that he was going to single-handedly win that game. It was the kind of game you expected from two top five teams, and especially in the RRR.

2. SoonerPride

SoonerPride Collector Emeritus

2000 63-14

I had never seen anything like it in my life.

I was in disbelief.

I jumped up and down for 4 hours and never once felt the cold nor the rain.

Best.
    Game.
    Ever.

3. Sooner_Tuf

Sooner_Tuf New Member

I have watched either in person or on TV more than forty OU/Texas games. My favorite one is the next one. None has ever filled my appetite to where I have said OK that is enough.

4. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

That would be 1a on my list. I remember it being cold, but don't remember any rain...probably because that was one of the happiest days of my sportsfan life.

5. Memtig14

Memtig14 New Member

My favorite one is the one we just won.

6. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

'71 was the first one I remember and the year I became a sooner fan. It was the first full year of the wishbone offense and it broke a bad streak in the series and started a good streak.

There have been so many great ones since then, I'll just mention an odd one that I attended as an OU student. A tie game is like kissing your sister and no one is happy, right? It wasn't the case in '76 which was a rebuilding year after the '75 MNC squad. The horns owned us all day and controlled the game. Our guys hung in there and scrapped and kept it close at 6-0, but it seemed we could play for days and never score. I don't remember what happened (turnover?), but we managed an unlikely drive right at the end and scored on a pitch sweep (Horace Ivory). But alas, missed the XP and settled for a 6-6 tie. But it almost didn't matter as all the OU fans felt they had avoided a certain loss and the horn fans felt they let certain victory slip away. I can tell you who did the partying and who cried in their beer. Not a typical tie.

7. pb4ou

pb4ou Moderator

This !!!!

8. salth2o

salth2o New Member

This one...

[youtube]ffJusl-xITY[/youtube]

the 63-14 arse whooping was great fun as well.

9. sooneredaco

sooneredaco New Member

October 6, 2001 with 2:06 left to play Super Man to the rescue! Then the guy that can't answer questions on his own drops a pick six right in the hands of Teddy. What a game! Roy was told "whatever you do, don't leave your feet!" Way to listen Roy!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  10. IndySooner

IndySooner New Member

2000. Got engaged the night before. Celebrated in the rain for 4 quarters. That was a blast!

11. Tell this story every year..

Leaving the 2000 game, I'm walking out of the stadium and I see this guy in a UT jacket and windpants celebrating his face off..He was obviously upsetting the other UTers and finally one dude asked him "Why are you so excited?"...The guy says "I put $10,000 on OU to cover"....I actually gave the guy a high five and watched him carry on for quite a while.

12. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

1986, my first OU/* game. I went to Commerce Street the night before and after watching the 44 to 9 beatdown, the few fans still wearing burnt orange wouldn't look you in the eyes afterwards out on the fair park walkways. You just had to be there.

13. soonerboy_odanorth

soonerboy_odanorth New Member

Bosworth and that defense laid waste to them for 4 quarters. They only scored because we fumbled inside our own 5 after receiving a punt deep. Boz had a play where he basically got to Dodge with one arm, then deflected the ball from Dodge's hand with the other, and still made the INT.

Runner up: 1982. World, meet Marcus Dupree.

14. Williesan

Williesan Member

All of my RRSO games - limited to three - had their memories but from the best to worst:

2001: Superman lives. Enough said. (That and my wife managed to win free tix and transportation the night before. Also included pregame on the field and a prime rib meal at the VIP tent as well. :victorious:

1996: We weren't supposed to win. We were 0 and 4. We were 22 point underdogs. They were supremely confident they were gonna rout us. But I had a feeling. Especially after a certain member of this board bailed on us the day before we left Norman for Big D. (You know who you are... ;) I had that feeling that this weekend was going to be one for the ages. I even laid out a foolish bet at the bar the night before the game: $400 straight up OU wins. "No way. That's like taking candy from a baby." - some random whorn fan the night before. Too bad no sucker would take the bet. :)

1997: Texas couldn't stop Demond Parker - only the refs could stop him. We ended up losing that day thanks to Phil Dawson's foot, but for me, the most fun came after the game. As I was making my way through the crown with my friends, I came across some random Poke fan and his arm candy, leaning up against one of the buildings holding up a business-card sized emblem of the "brand." He was repeating this mantra: "Here's the real team right here." To which I responded: "Are you a real fan of this 'real team'?" With a flabbergasted look, he replied yes. I proceeded to remind him that "real fans" of "real teams" fill their stadiums on homecoming weekend - they don't stand around, 250 miles away making fun of other opponents... like you. As he tucked the card away and slithered off into the crowd, a whorn who witnessed this could not resist the urge to deride us for the game that had just happened. "True - you won. At least we kept it close - unlike that clunker against UCLA... what was that score? 66-3? Or did you miss the second half like most who attended that game." Needless to say I received a "FU" in response... But I enjoyed every minute of what led up to it. :smug:

15. SOFSooner

SOFSooner New Member

my favorite OU/ut game is any game that OU wins! BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

16. thecrimsoncrusader

thecrimsoncrusader New Member

2000 bar none. Applewhite couldn't save them. Chris Simms couldn't save them. And.....Q SCORES AGAIN!!! That was the most beautiful day of cold and rainy weather conditions ever.

17. bornred51

bornred51 New Member

My favorite was Oklahoma 48 Texas 27 in 1971. Wishbone was just hitting stride. Hadn't beat Texas in 5 years. Mildren, Wylie, and Pruitt ran wild that day. Team arrived back at Will Rogers to a crowd of over 5,000 people. That was a time when you could go on the tarmac to meet planes. Quite a scene

18. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My first game in person 1973.

19. Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Sooner Born Sooner Bred SoonerFans.com Elite Member

2000 - at one point I decided to go get a hot chocolate because it was cold. I think we scored twice while I was gone.

2001 - Mack takes a knee and Superman

20. Sooner Born Sooner Bred

Sooner Born Sooner Bred SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Honorable mention was 97. We lost but it was my first OU tx game in person. I was in the front row on the 5 so I got to heckle their band and players. Losses don't suck when your team is that bad.