1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hobbit Movie

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by thecynic, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Chuck Bao

Chuck Bao SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dude and fellow Baylor fan, do not listen to these preverts.

That is extremely great that your dad to you to the historical sites of Oklahoma and Western Arkansas.

My dad bragged that he never wanted to leave Marshall Co., which just happens to be the smallest county in Oklahoma.

Real life may be more interesting to you. I think you do romanticize history. It really may not have been as great as you imagine back in those times. Still, you are using your imagination and I can't fault that. By the same token, I assume that you can appreciate our own use of imagination on great fiction.

2. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

Good points, I guess for me no more religious than Clash of the Titans and whatnot

that - and the Army of the Dead green swarm ,,.

3. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

and turning Elrond into kind of a dick. Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights?

4. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

Radioactive Galadriel

5. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

Should be seeing a lot of E and G and Saruman in action in these movies from what Ive learned (White Counsel)

6. tbl

tbl SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I didn't mind excluding Bombadil or the Barrow Wights, but yes, Elrond was another big character change that was completely unnecessary. Like I said, it was changing the nature of the characters that bugged me. No reason to do that at all, and he did it a lot. Faramir as well...

7. tbl

I think all of that would have simply got in the way of the awesome story telling, and the end around would be "they had to learn it for themselves". but whatever...

There's no way they could do that as one movie. It'd have to be multiple movies or a TV miniseries... In that case, I say leave it be. It's WAY too ambitious to cheap out on, and extremely difficult to bring to life accurately.

8. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

not many happy endings, granted. But what a story!

9. tbl

Beren and Luthien would be awesome... The whole saga of Feanor and the curse... The trees... Melkor... Turin... Tuor and Gondolin... A TON of material, no doubt, and I'd be the first in line, even if the JRR rapist directed them. ;)

10. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

The tale of why they no longer get involved would be the perfect tie-in with the Silm movies. Broke the world! Istari was the most they could do (sure, you could tie TB on to an Eagle and suicide them in to Mt Doom but that was not the way by then).

11. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

Another age.... where Sauron was a mere Lieutenant ..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  12. S.PadreIsl.Sooner

S.PadreIsl.Sooner Well-Known Member

Remember, Manwe(King of the Valar) sent the 5 Istari (Maia wizards) to Middle Earth under the instructions that they could not directly confront Sauron (who was another Maia himself). They were supposed to get the remaining peoples to defeat Sauron. So Gandalf isn't allowed to use all his power.

When fighting the balrog, however, that's a different story. Since the balrog was another fallen Maia, Gandalf can open up the full can of Whoop-axz!

Furthermore, when JRR was first writing the LOTR his original intention was to make it another children's story like The Hobbit. Thus you get the silly Bombadil character. He then changed his mind and wrote the trilogy as a much darker story. Frodo's original name was Bingo before the change! BTW, if you read between the lines during the Bombadil part, he is probably a Maia himself.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  13. SoonerDude

SoonerDude New Member

Bret from Flight of the Conchords is going to be in it. If they'd get Jemaine too, I'd definitely see it.

14. tbl

Some people have implied he was possibly Illuvatar himself...

15. hellogoodbye

hellogoodbye New Member

there better be talking animals, or there will be hell to pay