1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nachos

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by The Maestro, May 27, 2011.

1. ouduckhunter

ouduckhunter New Member

The Mont nachos are great! Interurban and the Service Station both used to have great nachos when I was in school, but not sure how they are these days! Nachos in the northwest suck!

2. SactoSooner

SactoSooner Well-Known Member

What happened to the SoonerFans Cookbook? Doesn't seem to be around here anymore. :confused:

3. GDC

GDC New Member

How about that new soul food/Mexican restaurant called Nacho Mama?

Turd_Ferguson likes this.
  4. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

See, we agree on lots of stuff!

5. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

6. delhalew

delhalew SoonerFans.com Elite Member

All the really important stuff.:D

7. SanJoaquinSooner

SanJoaquinSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

My daughter loves nachos, but I rarely eat them myself these days.

I love one particular cousin of nachos, enchiladas mineras.

[​IMG]

When my wife and I brought her youngest sister from Mexico to live with us, this was the one dish she missed the most, so she taught us how to fix it.

You fry or steam the diced potatoes and carrots. You make a red chile sauce from dried chiles - guajillo or New Mexico, garlic, salt and either water or chicken broth. Dip the tortillas in the sauce and quick fry. Mix a bit of the chile sauce into the potatoes and carrots for flavoring. Fill each torilla with the vegetables and roll. Top with more vegetables and queso cotija. Serve with shredded lettuce.

The chile sauce coated tortilla is the star of the show, so you can't use canned chile sauce or chile powder. Gotta soak the chiles in boiling hot water, put in blender with garlic, salt, and water or broth, and then strain through sieve to get rid of the chile skin. Labor intensive but worth it.

It's high high carb so I don't eat it often, but I indulge once or twice a year.

Enchiladas mineras go by other names, depending what state you're in.

8. delhalew

I make my own red chile sauce from dried guajillo and anchos. It's worth it. People lose their minds over my enchiladas.

9. SanJoaquinSooner

Muy Bueno, Maestro Cocinero Delhalew. A good red chile sauce is so versatile - e.g., chile colorado, mole soup, pozole.

10. delhalew

Chili Colorado. What could be easier?

11. C&CDean

C&CDean Administrator

I know it's a hell of a lot easier than Chile Verde. Momma makes chile verde to die for and it takes her all freaking day. Cutting up a pork butt, frying each little piece, roasting tomatillos, garlic, jalapenos, etc and peeling them, chopping all that **** up, stewing it all day, etc. Man I love me some chile verde.

12. DRLSooner

DRLSooner New Member

My favorite food on the planet. I've never made it myself put plan to do so pretty quick.

13. SanJoaquinSooner

Dean, why don't you edit it down to a 5 minute youtube video so we can watch how she does it?

14. King Crimson

King Crimson SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i'll say there's a big difference between very good Chile Colorado than usual Chile Colorado. i used to go to a place here that of course went out of business because it was in an old steakhouse (salad bar!)....old timey huge spot.....but, worst location ever and the space was way to big. they had great chile colorado....was spiced in all kinds of ways, like mole in that had chocolate "intensity"......most of the time it's the chunks of beef that don't get sold with "red" enchilada sauce and maybe some "tricks" to make it work. bleh.

they also had great rellenos sometimes. real eggbatter and real peppers....but the last couple times i went it was cheese city...no balance.

sol azteca in Boulder, RIP. some strong chile colorado and when i could trick the happy hour bartender into making me a real marg and not mix because i love vicente fernandez....i thank you for that.

good mexican food in boulder is almost as unlikely as good BBQ in Colorado....."oh no, you gotta try....". nah.

so it goes.

there's not a lot about actual "nachos" in this thread. toaster oven is the king of nachos and roasted peppers.

anyway i remember being over here in a mexican food thread, Dean was complaining about chile verde....maybe it was mexican food in CO. don't remember.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  15. DRLSooner

DRLSooner New Member

Its been a while since I've been in The Mont, but I remember them having the best peppers. They were diced and perfectly pickled. They werent really hot enough but still very good.

16. SoonerNate

SoonerNate New Member

:D