1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Scotty, Jun 7, 2010.

1. OKLA21FAN

OKLA21FAN New Member

damn it!

2. Scotty

Scotty New Member

I don't know if certain teams (any teams without the prospect of having their own TV network, aka everyone but UT) would pass up doubling their revenue for the sake of tradition.

3. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

I can believe that. Really, what could Texas do? Work out some kind of deal with the cable companies in Texas to broadcast all their games? Maybe an exclusive deal with Versus? Even with the size of Texas, I can't see how that would be very lucrative. And no way do I see them landing a network deal like Notre Dame. They don't have anywhere near that kind of national appeal.

4. soonervegas

soonervegas New Member

Blasphemy! Don't you dare say these things on hornfans.com

5. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

ut and OU want to keep the Big 12 together, OU and ut are the power brokers. Even if Neb and mizzou left that is no gaurantee that the Big 12 breaks up. Alot would have to happen all around for them to decide to implode the Big 12...atleast thats what ive heard

6. Scotty

Scotty New Member

That may be true, but I see it happening differently. If either of NEB or mizzou leave, I see that as the end of the big 12. In fact, if they don't commit to the big 12 by the deadline, that might be enough for UT,OU, etc to bolt.

It's the mexican standoff of conference expansion. NEB and/or Mizzou will be gone if they get an invite from the B10. The "Big 6" will bounce if that happens (or if neb and mizz don't commit). However, most sources say that if the B10 gets ND, they will probably not go after any other schools, Neb and Mizzou included.

Someone is going to have to take a huge risk. Imo, it will have to be Neb and mizzou not committing to the Big 12 without knowing if it will get an invite from the big10 or not.

All in all, this comes back to Notre Dame. The biggest chance for the Big XII to stay alive is if ND takes the Big 10 offer.

7. Collier11

ND isnt taking any offer unless the Big East tells them that they have to join the football conference like other all their other sports where they are Big East.

I dont think Neb and Mizzou leaving means the end of the Big 12 but I do think it will make things more likely for that to happen

8. 47straight

47straight New Member

If you give $9.95 a month, I will remind you of the blunders. And I won't even have to libel an 18-year-old's mom if I was proven wrong.

9. Collier11

I know where he works, just sayin that alot of the stuff he posts as news on Orangebloods is heresay or flat out incorrect

10. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Craig James needs to stfu.

He's saying that the Texas schools, not the legislators, are pulling for Baylor, citing recruiting advantages as the reasons. He says that UT, Tech, aTm, want to be able to tell parents that they can drive to watch their son play as opposed to flying to the west coast every weekend (which, with the divisional setup would not be the case).

11. Collier11

Its true, why do you think Baylor has entered the discussion if we all head to the Pac 10 instead of Colorado, not cus of preference by the Pac 10, its cus of the texas schools pushing it

12. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, I wonder what's a more lucrative TV market, Waco or Denver?

13. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Fixed.

I really doubt Texas, TAMU, or Texas Tech could care less about playing Baylor instead of ASU or AZ, especially when +$10 million a year is on the line.

The whole Baylor thing is a case of Baylor legislators looking out for Baylor.

14. Collier11

well, true

15. Mississippi Sooner

Mississippi Sooner New Member

Let's not forget, Kenneth Starr just became president of Baylor. Love him or hate him, he knows how to make things political.

16. Scotty

Scotty New Member

17. Collier11

until we hear something from the Big 12 or any of these schools it is all rumor, political jockeying. Im not saying it wont happen but I think it is more of a power play for some schools than anything

We will see...

18. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

I think it's definitely a case where OU and UT what to keep the Big 12 together, and find away to make better money. I wouldn't be suprised if Dodds and Castiglione are having a lot of conversations right now. I think OU and UT move in a block, largely to improve bargaining power.

19. OU Adonis

OU Adonis New Member

WTF? Can they not come up with an even number ?

20. Collier11

Exactly, tex pretty much runs the Big 12 with OU right behind them. Why would either want to leave, not to mention they would be giving up a great competitive advantage by going from competing with each other and 1 or 2 other schools each year to competing with each other plus Oregon, USC, and 1 or 2 other schools each year