1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trent Dilfer says Sam is a PROJECT

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by stoopified, Oct 26, 2009.

1. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

I think you've got Minnesota mixed up with the Titans.

2. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

What, Mr. Wunderlich has even screwed that up?

3. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

well hell lets look at it

Matt Ryan
    Stafford
    Sanchez

but then u have

Russell = sucks
    Quinn = sucks
    Alex Smith = sucks
    Vince Young = sucks
    Matt Leinfart = sucks

first round qbs are toss ups

4. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

Of those, the only one that has clearly been a star has been Ryan, and Sam's more like him than any of the others. Stafford plays for a bad team, and has been dinged up, so we might not know this year, or even next, how he'll. Sanchez has cooled off. In fact he just recently had a 5 pick game.

5. Blues1

Blues1 New Member

Sorry to say my gut tells me Sam will last about 2 years in the NFL and then get on with his other goals in Life - (hope I'm wrong) but History tells me OU quarterbacks are not fitted for the Pro's -- Unless you are tough as Rusty Nails (Tommy McDonald or AD ~ example) jmho...!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

With the money they are paying him, he will play longer than 2 yrs, and most OU qbs ran the option, that is why

7. rawlingsHOH

rawlingsHOH New Member

Can't say Tommy McDonald, or anyone else prior to the Stoops-Era, is at all relevent to the discussion.

If you want to specifically discuss Heupel or White, go ahead, but neither one of them had half the arm Bradford owns.

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I don't see how you can generalize all OU QBs. In the Stoops era (i.e. passing era) the QBs have been pretty good. Heupel got a look by the NFL, but he didn't have the arm strength. I think JW would have made it had he not blown out his knees, but we'll never know. Bohmar is on a practice squad and probably would have made a roster if he hadn't blown his chances at OU. If Sam goes in the 1st round, he'll get every opportunity to succeed.

9. Collier11

Bomar will likely be on an active roster next year, Hybl played 3 yrs as a 3rd stringer and backup, Heupel woulda made it had he not been injured despite his relatively weak arm, White woulda been drafted had he not hurt his knees so badly and PT even made a team for a short time

10. cjames317

cjames317 New Member

What's the difference between Sam and young Peyton Manning? Besides the Heisman and conference championships?

11. Collier11

Peyton does cool things at the LOS

12. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Sure. Rookie QBs have a tough time getting up to NFL speed.

*ahem* Ben Roethlisberger what?

13. wishbonesooner

wishbonesooner New Member

I wouldn't bet against Sam.

14. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

helped having one of the best defenses throughout the decade, to give him a great start

same with Flaco

but now the Ravens D looks like poop!!!! Dynasty is over!

15. snp

snp New Member

That's a pretty worthless opinion.

16. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

When Pyeton Manning was a rookie he pretty much stunk up the first half of the season. As he started showing what he was capable of later in the season a reporter asked him what the difference was. Peyton said, "The game slowed down".

I expect Bradford to pick up the game quickly. I agree though that it will take a bit of time for him to have the game slow down.

As for his size situation, he is really quite young. Other than the injury he is in excellent shape. He is just now at that age where men develop into a Man body.

17. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I think those announcers were smoking crack, Romo is one of the more elusive QB's in the league, he just doesn't run a lot.

The last place you should expect expert commentary is from the guys broadcasting the game. Those two yesterday were borderline stupid with the Romo is not elusive BS.

...and yeah, Romo is a lot more elusive than Sam appears to be.

18. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Yeah, Romo is more elusive than Sam. But Sam looks more elusive that either Manning or Brady or Warner (or, etc). He just needs to land in the right system.

19. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

yup

20. goingoneight

goingoneight I said Biiiiiiiitch--

1. All the talk of OU producing a "system QB" in Sam is laughable. He's run a pro style offense since day one at OU.

2. Every drafted player is a project. Especially QB.

3. Sam, unlike Vince... is a smart guy, not just a flashy scrambling QB. He's a better prospect than your Tim Tebows and VYs for that reason among others.

4. Sam needs the kind of coaching that you don't normally get at the college level. It almost seems elementary to roll away from your golden arm on a fall, but things like this will certainly affect who drafts him and how long before any coach will feel confident putting him behind any OL outside of the mid-90s Dallas OL.

Bottom line: if Sam goes to a ****-poor team with a tired coaching staff, likely for top first-rounders, he may be chased out of town in a wheelchair by screaming morons who don't understand the game ala the Browns fans with their coach. If he slips a little bit to somewhere like, say Minnesota or Arizona, somewhere behind a good team with solid veteran QBs and coaches to bring him along, he can make a big splash in teh Neffel.