1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capel says he's returning

Discussion in 'Sooner Basketball' started by badger, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

It's generally a safe bet on any question on schools with mascots to throw Auburn in there somewhere. They've got an eagle, the Plainsman, and the Tigers. I think they may have gone by Sooners and Trojans at one point, I'm not sure.

2. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

How does "Elephaggies" sound for Auburn? You know, because they're they aggie school in Alabama and Bammer's mascot is the elephants? I think "Elephaggies" could catch on, don't you?

;)

3. Frozen Sooner

Not THE elephants, AN elephant. Alex the Elephant, to be precise. :D

And there's an Alabama A&M that might dispute the Barners being the ag school.

4. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

Here's previous salaries and time remaining on them.

Bill Self ($3,000,000, 9 of 10 years remaining)
    Rick Barnes ($2,000,000, 6 of 10 years remaining)
    Travis Ford ($1,300,000, 6 of 7 years remaining)
    Mark Turgeon ($1,200,000, 6 of 8 years remaining)
    Jeff Capel ($1,050,000, 5 of 6 years remaining)
    Greg McDermott ($925,000, 6 of 9 years remaining)
    Pat Knight ($925,000 {median}, 4 of 5 years remaining)
    Mike Anderson ($850,000, 2 of 5 years remaining)
    Doc Sadler ($800,000, 6 of 9 years remaining)
    Frank Martin ($760,000, 4 of 5 years remaining)
    Jeff Bzdelik ($650,000, 3 of 5 years remaining)
    Scott Drew ($521,000, 9 of 10 years remaining)

Anderson will be making 1.35 million, so to keep Capel close to the top of the conference I think they'll pay him between 1.4 and 1.6 million.

5. badger

:mad: not letting me make a joke here, are you?

fiiiiiine, let's get back on discussion, i guess :mad:

WOOHOO! CAPEL ISN'T LEAVING! WOOHOO!!! :D:D:D

6. Frozen Sooner

They're only paying him $1.35mm per? Wow. I'd have thought it would have taken a bunch more to keep him from World Wide Wes.

7. badger

8. tommieharris91

tommieharris91 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I thought Alabama A&M was an historically black school. :confused:

9. Frozen Sooner

You think no black folk worked farms? 'Cause you may want to reconsider that.

10. soonerfan28

soonerfan28 New Member

I mispoke he actually will get the 1.35 + 200,000 after every season if he decides not to leave if I understand it correctly. He just won't get it until the end of the contract. Smart on Missouri's part.

11. Readyfor8

Readyfor8 New Member

The reason the amount has not be disclosed is probably because it will be a little more money than who ever is third in the conference, so dont' expect to hear the amount until after OSU releases the amount they have decided to up Travis Ford to.

Could be as high as 1.6, and if we win the tournament with Capel he will be the second highest paid in conference.

12. oumartin

oumartin New Member

Hey, I'm glad he's staying. I have no clue what they are paying him and my statement of not enough was in fun. I never said Memphis was a better job but that it might have more appeal to certain coaches. As much as I would like to attend games more often and even at all over the past three years I have not been able too. Nobody to blame there but myself as far as scheduling time off so I can attend. Just maybe it has really been improved alot. But IMO its just not a great basketball environment.

For those that think I am just stirring the pot I just express my concerns. As much as I love OU hoops there will always be concerns in my mind about keeping a top flight coach just because of the inability to fill the arena in first couple months and the fact that regardless of what people say. It does have to compete with football as far as fans. People on a budget have to make a choice often times. Places like Duke, UNC, and a few others don't have to worry about people spending their yearly savings on football season tickets.

13. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

What improvements? The lighting sucks...we fans are still too far from the court...and the nosebleeds are aweful to watch a game from.

14. Sooner04

Sooner04 New Member

Lighting is much improved at floor level. Much improved. I think the bad lighting is an old wives tale. They used to darken the seating bowl right at tip in Billy's heyday.

Fans are still too far away from the action down low. Bad angle for the seating. It should be angled to flow right to the side of the playing floor.

The nosebleeds at the LNC are probably the best 'bad" seats in the conference. Go to the Drum in Austin. Go to GIA and walk up there without getting vertigo. Go to the far corners of Allen Fieldhouse. HORRIBLE seats. There's really not a bad seat in Lloyd Noble unless you are directly behind the goal in the upper level. We give those seats to the visitors.

15. Readyfor8

Readyfor8 New Member

I watched 11 home games this season from the nosebleeds, (on nights we weren't encouraged to take seats in the lower section to fill out for TV) and I can honestly say. It's not as bad as watching the game from home.

16. "MVP"

"MVP" New Member

:D :) :D :) :D

Great news. Willie staying is also great news, but Blake expected leaving may just kill those.

17. John Kochtoston

John Kochtoston CEO, Devastation, Inc.

THIS.

The LNC isn't perfect, and I'd love to see a new arena, or the idea at least seriously kicked around (this may not be the best economic environment to do it, though). But, the upper ring seats are pretty good, for upper levels.

They've also moved the seating around and done some things to make the arena as hoops-friendly as it can be. Again, not perfect, but noticeably improved since 1994.

I wouldn't mind seeing some new, non-Nebraska red seats, though.:D