1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-virus software

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by StoopTroup, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Curly Bill

Curly Bill I'm a shootist

I started using AVG after a lot of you were going on about it. No complaints so far.

2. Scott D

Scott D SoonerFans.com Elite Member

note that is now two happy kaspersky users in this thread.

3. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

$49.99 for one user computer for a year. Pretty competitive and if it doesn't use as much of your operating system...even better. AVG does slow mine down when it's scanning.

4. IB4OU

IB4OU New Member

Free - go with AVG
    Pay - Kaspersky or Eset Nod32.

5. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Warning on AVG-it's a bitch and a half to uninstall it if you want to go with other software. AVG does have a tool that will take care of it, which they offer for free download from their site. Took me a couple of hours of yelling at my computer to finally get it figured out though.

6. KC//CRIMSON

KC//CRIMSON New Member

I got tired of AVG wanting to update every single hour. Thing is, it kept wanting to update the same file over and over again. I finally said F it, and got Avast.

No complaints so far.......

7. Scott D

Actually the simple way to do that is to be registry literate. It leaves about 3 markers in the registry that block other AV's from installing. Once you go in there and take them out, it's easy peasy.

8. Frozen Sooner

Why thank you, Scott. I appreciate your advice on this issue. I haven't learned how to regedit on Vista as yet, couldn't find instructions with a websearch, and then when I downloaded Iolo's system tools to do it Iolo couldn't clean it off the registry.

However, rather than going in and editing the registry, I took 10 seconds to download a program that cleaned up the issue in about 20 seconds. But I'm sure regedit is much simpler. Thanks.

;)

9. Scott D

Heh, when I had to look up how to get rid of it's markers the first thing I came across was about the regedit. Plus I was talking to a techie when I was going through the process :)

10. sooner_born_1960

sooner_born_1960 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

A magnetized needle and a very steady hand.

11. Scott D

I was thinking a rosary, a priest, some holy water and the virgin mary.

12. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

I'm suprised Iolo couldn't clean it, it normally does a good job on most stuff. Glad you got it going though.

13. Frozen Sooner

Heh. By the time I was done messing with Iolo, it was like 11:00 here. I figured calling you and telling you it didn't work at 2am wasn't cool.

14. Scott D

I woulda woke his stay puft marshmallow man avatar having *** up. :D

15. soonerboomer93

soonerboomer93 Dirty bastard

hey, i told him to also try the avg site

I knew it did some ****ed up stuff trying to reinstall it, i just could remember what

besides, Iolo does some decent **** to the system, so just running it once handy