1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brainteaser (this may be old, but it's new to me)

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by 8timechamps, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

I heard this over the weekend, and I think I’ve seen it posted on the innerwebs too.

Good Luck.

Three men on a road trip walk into a hotel for the night. They step to the counter and ask the manager how much one room for one night would cost. The manager replies that one room would cost $30 for the night.

The three men agree to take the room and each of the three put $10 on the counter to. The manager gives the men the room key and directions to the room.

After about fifteen minutes, the manger realizes that the hotel is running a special, and that the room should have only cost the men $25. The manager asks a bellhop to take the $5 dollars (in one dollar bills) to the room that the men are staying in, and pass along his apologies.

On the way to the room, the bellhop decides he could make some “extra” money on this deal. Since the manager never told the men about their overpayment, they would have no idea how much they would be getting back. So, the bellhop decides to keep $2 for himself, and give the men $3.

He gets to the room, explains to the men that they had over paid, and gives them $1 each.

Now, let’s recap:

The 3 men originally paid $10 each for the room ($30 total)

The manager realized his mistake and sent back a refund ($5)

The bellhop kept $2 for himself, giving the three men $3

Now, the three men have paid $9 each after the refund (3 x 9 = $27)
    The bellhop kept $2 for himself (27 + 2 = $29)
    The men originally paid $30 (30 – 29 = $1)

Where is the other dollar?

2. JohnnyMack

JohnnyMack SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Obama took it.

Getem likes this.
  3. JohnnyMack

If it was up your butt you'd know where it was.

8timechamps likes this.
  4. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Older than ME :rolleyes:

5. sitzpinkler

sitzpinkler Active Member

They didn't pay $9 per person. Once you take the $5 away from the $30, you're left with $25 which leaves you with roughly $8.33 per person. There's the $2 the bellhop took and then the $3 he gave back. It's all accounted for.

Jello Biafra likes this.
  6. JohnnyMack

7. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything at the compy or I would have spit it out when I read that. Good one :D

Everyone here has already answered it, but if you like these type of brain games, I highly recommend Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the Nintendo DS.

However, once you fall in love with the logic and British artistry, you will hate the developer because they have four games out in Japan, but only brought one to the U.S. so far. :mad:

soonerbrat likes this.
  8. badger

Oh, eff it - if the South Oval is in a brainteasing mood, here is one of my favorite ones from the Professor Layton game...

You just arrived in Kansas City for the first round of the NCAA tourney when you realize that you forgot your camera. Spotting a street vendor with a lovely OU camera case and camera, you ask how much they are. The vendor responds:

"The case and the camera together are $310, but the camera case itself costs $300 less than the camera by itself."

Realizing you can get a cheaper and better camera elsewhere in KC, you hand the vendor a $100 bill to buy the cool OU camera case, but you notice an evil glint in his eye. How much change should you be receiving back from him?

9. JohnnyMack

Does this mean we're gonna lose to Morgan State?

badger likes this.
  10. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

$95. The camera is $305, the case $5.

badger likes this.
  11. badger

Yay, Frozo wins!

12. Frozen Sooner

Frozen Sooner Soon to be Memphibian

Why are manhole covers round?

13. badger

So that we can all giggle as elementary math students try to find all of the lines of symmetry.

14. badger

Ok, so the real answer is so that the manhole can't fall in, unlike other shapes that can be rotated to fit within themselves.

For Mr. Smarty Frozen Sooner and others, here's one that will leave you stumped for awhile.
    [​IMG]
    You start with five squares formed by matchsticks. You must move two matchsticks ONLY ONCE in order to form four equal-sized squares - and you have to use all of the matchsticks to create the squares!

To minimize the frustration, here is the NSFW Penny Arcade take on these never ending matchstick puzzles.

15. Getem

Getem New Member

Leftmost stick on top moves over to the left, bottom stick 2nd from the left comes up and rotates to make a square with it, like dis:

Code:
    [FONT="Courier New"]
       _   _
     _|_|_|_|
    |_| |_|

[/FONT]

badger likes this.
  16. badger

:mad: Argggggh, I was hoping that one would go unsolved a little bit longer :mad:

we have a winner. BUT... I am still in a stump-you-all mood :)

The most challenging puzzle of all so far on this thread...

[​IMG]

In chess, a queen can move horizontally, vertically and diagonally, making the queen the most powerful piece in the entire game. It's like the OU football of chess, it you would :)

On a standard 8 by 8 chess board, place eight queens on positions where they cannot attack each other.

17. 8timechamps

No, no, no...that can't be it. That makes too much sense. ;)

badger likes this.
  18. 8timechamps

How many times do i have to tell you, nobody but you keeps their money up their butt!

19. Getem

Getem New Member

Ok I had to write a program for this one. Is that cheating? :p
    Code:
     _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    |x|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|x|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|x|
    |_|_|_|_|_|x|_|_|
    |_|_|x|_|_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|_|_|_|x|_|
    |_|x|_|_|_|_|_|_|
    |_|_|_|x|_|_|_|_|

There are actually 92 solutions

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    badger likes this.
  20. badger

As you said, there are actually other solutions to this, because you can just rotate the board, of course. However, this is one of the correct solutions :mad:

Ok, another puzzle... hmmm...

Olevet brings his favorite drink to the SoonerFans.com tailgate in a 10 quart pitcher. Dean also brought an empty 7-quart pitcher and an empty 3-quart pitcher, but for some reason, Olevet and Dean want to split the drink evenly so that there are 5 quarts in two of the pitchers.

Using all three pitchers in nine pours, make it so that the 10-quart pitcher and 7-quart pitcher have exactly 5 quarts of the mystery drink in each.