1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The whole "Moderating Without Explanation" thing...

Discussion in 'South Oval' started by GottaHavePride, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sas

sas New Member

we can do it TOGETHER.

It will be swell.

proud gonzo likes this.
  2. Mjcpr

Mjcpr SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Bless your heart for those treasured moments.

I don't know what kind of winky to use here. :confused:

Harry Beanbag likes this.
  3. proud gonzo

proud gonzo SoonerFans.com Elite Member

post reported. :eek:

sas likes this.
  4. Sooner_Bob

Sooner_Bob SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Keeping all of the political threads in a politics forum would make things easier IMO.

Heck I can think of a few folks who might actually help moderate that particular forum if need be.

5. BigRedJed

BigRedJed Mmm... ...ribs.

Do you mean the user note that was posted? I've been too busy posting other stuff to go off on that tangent.

JKM is right; we all supported his decision to post it, and encouraged him to do it. The existence of it was being challenged, like he had made it up. The comment was real. We knew about it a week ago. It was stumbled upon, while following up on reported spek comments which attacked a poster (a poster who has been HIGHLY critical of us, BTW, and who we were looking out for nevertheless).

It was in poor taste, IMO to send the spek comment to begin with, and I told the poster that when he PMd me.

He says that in his heart didn't mean anything by it, and that's fine. Not my fight anyway, other than to confirm that we all told JKM that it was the right thing to do.

But I also told him the poster that whether or not he actually meant it, people make mistakes and errors in judgement, and a simple "sorry, man, I didn't really mean to sound like a horse's *** there" was probably all it would take to put the matter in the rear view mirror.

I'm not sure where it went from there. I was having too much fun reading all of the old school stuff.

I will say this: there were a ton of mods and admins who were on record as saying they thought the dude (the poster) was an overall good guy who they had met in person, and that was definitely a factor in JKM not pushing the issue further.

6. sooneron

sooneron Soonerfans.com Elitist

I heard jkm ran TopDawg off.

BigRedJed likes this.
  7. BigRedJed

I'm sorry; I didn't mean user note. I meant spek comment. Gah. Now THAT is going to be analyzed to death.

8. Sooner_Bob

I'm taking notes for my moderator grade sheet . . . you better get it right.

9. BigRedJed

:bsmf:

Sooner_Bob likes this.
  10. SoonerBorn68

SoonerBorn68 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Thanks for addressing my concern Jed. The comment was in poor taste and the way it was handle was likewise. It could have been handled through PM's or emails, not the Pearl Harbor Attack it turned out to be. I don't have a problem with the moderators' concern or judgement - only the way it was handled. I would hope events like this would be handled in a more private way in the future.

Sorry for fibbin' to you.

Now I'm done.

11. mdklatt

mdklatt SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Well yeah, that's what I was getting at.

I think a better rule is Don't Take Things So ****ing Personally. We all get worked up from time to time, but it always makes me shake my head when I hear about people crying to the mods. There is absolutely stuff that goes over the line and shouldn't be tolerated, but come on folks. None of this is real. It's the innerweb. Even the regular tailgaters only personally know a small percentage of the people here, and they only know a small number of them very well.

Does it really matter that somebody who knows nothing about you said something mean to you? Well nanner nanner boo boo. What do they know? OMFG, somebody who doesn't know me thinks I'm a bad person!

For you all you know you're dealing with somebody who is nothing like the actual person at the keyboard, or is completely imaginary altogether. And for crying out loud, anybody who complains about spek of all things needs to grow a pair.

leavingthezoo and Sooner_Bob like this.
  12. GottaHavePride

GottaHavePride Brewmaster

Heh. A lot of people missed out on the SoonerWill "people on the internets arent' always real" lesson.

Sooner_Bob likes this.
  13. SoonerBorn68

SoonerBorn68 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Gah, I used "handled" 3 times in one post. It's got to mean something.

14. Sooner_Bob

Holy smokes . . . I agree with klatt on something.

:D

15. SicEmBaylor

SicEmBaylor Baylor Ambassador

Are people so impulsive and unable to control themselves that you have to create another forum just to help them control themselves?

If you don't like political threads then try this novel idea, DON'T CLICK ON THE DAMNED THREAD!

16. BigRedJed

It's probably because in some weird way you could tell that I was handling myself when I was posting that.

17. PhxSooner

PhxSooner New Member

Gah. I actually popped out of lurkdom to offer names for his "daughter".

Now I'll pop back in and post again in a few years.

18. GottaHavePride

See? Now, just because some people don't like political threads you're all acting like they're taking away your livelihood. ;)

Try moderating a webforum sometime. You'll learn that people can turd up ANYTHING. Even a thread about fluffy bunnies, sunshine, and pancakes. Or fluffy pancakes, bunnies, and daffodils. Whatever.

19. BigRedJed

20. GottaHavePride

See? Jed just turded up THIS thread. :mad:

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.