1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big 12 should go to 14 schools...

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by OU_Sooners75, Sep 26, 2011.

1. OUwinsagain

OUwinsagain New Member

I LOVE the idea of South Florida! Get back at the SEC in a way. Open up the recruiting pipelines to Florida!! The School is the 9th largest in the country as far as enrollment goes and they have hot cheerleaders!

2. tcrb

tcrb New Member

Except for USF....

Grasping.
    at.
    straws.

3. PalmBeachSooner

PalmBeachSooner New Member

The question is how can the Big XII expand without diluting the share of money that's going to its current members? If you can answer that question then you can answer who will be invited to join. This has always been about money and it will always be about money.

4. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Not a bad idea BUT I would stll consider TCU as well.

5. badger

badger Vacuums eat while yelling

Pickens opened his big fat mouth again to lament the potential of losing Mizzou to the SEC. Seriously, I wish the billionaire would STFU already, but I suppose owning and operating a college athletic program makes him feel like Jerry Jones or something. meddle meddle meddle :rolleyes:

6. 8timechamps

8timechamps Administrator

Unless or until the college football rules are changed to add a debate portion to the games, I don't give a rat's *** how wonderful the new member schools are academically. It's about the product on the field.

Tear Down This Wall likes this.
  7. sooner KB

sooner KB Active Member

Can you please explain how playing Tulane and Rice in sports would make the academics of OU any better? Thanks.

8. BillyBall

BillyBall Well-Known Member

This.

9. sooner KB

sooner KB Active Member

And by the way, Tulane is not that impressive academically. They rank right behind Washington, Penn St, Wisconsin, and Texas, and just ahead of Texas A&M. Good academic school, but nothing to drool over and sacrifice the strength of the conference over.

10. AlbqSooner

AlbqSooner SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Another nice thing about adding South Florida is that when they first addressed the question of whether to start a football team they formed a committee to study the feasibility. The chairman of that committee was a senior loan officer at then First Florida Bank - LeeRoy Selmon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    SoonerInTN likes this.
  11. LASooner

LASooner Active Member

That's like the Kids in the Hall skit where the boss fired everyone because the bottom line kept going up, then after everyone was gone, he felt the best move at that point was to fire himself.

12. sooner KB

sooner KB Active Member

Lets consider the all-time win-loss record, bowl record, stadium size, and academic ranking (US News & World Report) of each of the contenders mentioned in this thread. To me, stadium size is the best measurement. Not only because of the stadium itself and how many tickets they can sell, but because it is a good indicator of how much money their program has brought in, how successful they've been over a period of time, the size of their fan base, etc. Therefore, I'll order the list by stadium size. It should be strongly noted that Tulane and South Florida play in NFL stadiums, so those schools are "cheating" a bit.

I think it would be better to go by win-loss record since 1970 or something like that, but I'm too lazy to look any of that up.

[HR][/HR]

Tulane

483-554-38 (.467)
    4-7
    69,073 (Louisiana Superdome)
    50th of National Universities

South Florida
    103-62-0 (.624)
    4-2
    66,321 (Raymond James)
    181st of National Universities

BYU
    484-369-26 (.565)
    11-17-1
    71 of National Universities

Memphis
    432-449-33 (.491)
    4-3
    Unranked National University (2nd Tier)

West Virginia
    694-454-45 (.601)
    13-16
    164th of National Universities

Air Force
    337-278-13 (.547)
    10-10-1
    33rd of National Liberal Arts Colleges

Louisville
    431-411-17 (.512)
    7-7-1
    164th of National Universities

TCU
    581-512-57 (.530)
    12-14-1
    97th of National Universities

Rice
    428-548-32 (.440)
    4-4-0
    17th of National Universities

Southern Miss
    548-371-27- (.594)
    9-8
    Unranked National University (2nd Tier)

Cincinnati
    552-553-51 (.500)
    5-6-0
    143rd of National Universities

Boise State
    368-144-2 (.718)
    7-4
    67th of Regional Universities (West)

[HR][/HR]

Now, who do you eliminate? I say first eliminate those schools that are not a 1st tier national university academically. I wasn't sure how to consider Air Force in this regard, but they are Air Force, which has to count for something. So I'll leave them. Out of the ones left, I'll eliminate the two schools with less than .500 all-time winning percentage. That means Tulane and Rice are out. Sorry, I just don't think their academics really helps OU. Out of the ones that are left now, I'll eliminate the one that only has a 35,000 capacity stadium (Cincinnati).

This leaves WVU, Louisville, South Florida, BYU, TCU, and Air Force. I personally think WVU should be a shoe-in, with the 700+ all-time wins they will have after this season, and the 13 bowl game wins which tops the list. What the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th as a backup in case Mizzou bolts) teams should be is an interesting question. Louisville brings basketball, BYU brings a big market, TCU brings a currently successful football program, the benefits of South Florida have been mentioned in this thread. Hard to decide.

13. OU_Sooners75

OU_Sooners75 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Are you really this stupid?

The comment was about academics, not sport.

14. sooner KB

sooner KB Active Member

Once again, please explain how playing Rice and Tulane would have any effect or impact on anything. I would like to here it.

15. OklahomaTuba

OklahomaTuba SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Houston is preferable over Rice or Tulane. Houston is a bigger school than OU is enrollment wise.

And SMU for the hot methodist girls.

16. badger

Seriously man, lighten up. You've been coming very mean-spirited to a lot of posters lately.

17. soonergirlNeugene

soonergirlNeugene New Member

I also like SF in this conference but w/ those divisions, West>>>East. Needs more balance imo

18. Tear Down This Wall

Tear Down This Wall Well-Known Member

Tulane is in that AAU thingy. Maybe they'll get a Pac-12 or Big Ten invite.

19. starclassic tama

starclassic tama New Member

lately? dude is always roid ragin'

20. badger

You be nice, too :)

In fact, EVERYONE BE NICE! Undefeated season! Top ranking in the poll that matters! Awesome team! Awesome coaches! Awesome players! Awesome walk-on!