1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1972-2005

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by Sooner24, Jun 24, 2006.

1. texaspokieokie

texaspokieokie New Member

i was mostly impressed with "24" shaming the folks into not leaving early. only a "true Sooner fan" can shame others into staying for entire game.

maybe they had a long drive home, like back to Elk City or Wichita.

(in his 1st favorite game, 73)

thanx a lot for the bump Vet.

2. Sooner24

Sooner24 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

I did a little research and learned I have also seen 13 Heisman Trophy winners in that time.

Good Lord willing I will hit 40 years of home games without a miss and my 300th game over all this year.

8timechamps likes this.
  3. olevetonahill

olevetonahill Well-Known Member

Allsome
    Ima prolly stay at the Legends again this year.

Had a great time last year.
    Now that i think I got My Picture deal workin Ill try and Post some more of em.;)

4. Jdog

Jdog New Member

Very great - Cheers to you and your dad!
    - that Joe Washington return happen right in front of me - me and my buddy were setting with Chaz Evan's family. It was great! That return reminded me of his return against USC - when he didn't get the Touchdown.

5. Salt City Sooner

Salt City Sooner New Member

Joseph was the NU QB in '90 (replaced by Mike Grant after his injury). Gdowski was the QB in '89, & he ripped our secondary & pretty much made 'em like it that day.

6. NMSooner'80

NMSooner'80 Member

My mom went to OU at night to get a Master of Library Science degree - so we had family season tickets in '73 and '74. That OU-0SU game was the last of those games we got to attend on that family plan together.

We were in the south end zone seats, freezing our butts off (it was cold and windy out of the north), so I had a great view of the punt return. It was an epic moment. I'll bet that Aggy punter Cliff Parsley's ankles are still hurting over being turned into a spinning top by Little Joe's moves.

I was only a junior at Ardmore High at the time, so I wouldn't have normally had access to the OU Daily. But my mom did on her commute to Norman, and the game coverage featured several sour-grape comments from the Pokes. I hated Phillip Dokes to the hilt after some of his quotes. Between that, and an earlier trip to Stilly with a buddy whose sister went to OSU and whose family had tickets for that OSU-Colorado game, I learned early on about that penis envy of theirs.

I've told that story before - I went because I was invited, and because OU was on the road, and the locals acted like the CU game was their chance to gloat on ABC about how we weren't on TV that year. I think even their players bought into the "we're going to show up OU" mindset, and they got just WORKED by an Colorado team that OU had beaten 49-14 in Boulder.

7. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

i love this thread.. great reads, thanks for sharing

8. SoonerofAlabama

SoonerofAlabama Actual Poor Student

These are some good stories indeed.

9. Sooner24

You would think someone would want to interview me. ;)

10. 70sooner

70sooner High Plains Drifter

The hit was made by Scott Hill on a Missouri player returning a kickoff. He came down the field full speed and just wiped the guy out.

I still think his hit on Dorsett was one of the best I ever saw, period. Knocked the snot out out of Tony D......

11. Sooner24

Well it's that time of the year again, time for the 2011 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award®.

Since I don't plan on going to Stoolwater I will go ahead and announce my favorite game of the year. This year’s winner of the 2011 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award® is........Florida State!

This game ranks right up there with Alabama and Notre Dame for the friendly fans we encountered in Tallahassee. It also ranks right up there in crowd experience. From the time we landed in Tallahassee we were pretty much overwhelmed with kindness. From the shuttle drive that took us to the hotel, to the hotel staff, (want to give a big shout out to The Hotel Duval and Shula 347 Grill) to the FSU fans that kept coming to our table to tell us how glad they were we were there and what a great time they had in Norman the year before.

What I really liked about the stadium was the fact it holds as many people as ours does and there's no upper deck. From the pregame intros until pretty much the end of the game the crowd was chanting and chopping. Even after the game leaving the stadium never really heard any rude comments and even had people congratulating us on the win and wishing us good luck the rest of the season. Great experience!

The ISU game Saturday marked the 40th year in a row without missing a home game dating back to the first game of the 1972 season. It was also my 301st OU game attended.

See you next year!

12. Sooner24

The 2012 Sooner24 Game of the Year Award® goes to OSU!!!

I was beginning to wonder if Florida A&M was going to win the award until Saturdays game. ;) In the 41 years I have been attending OU football I have only seen a couple of things that I had never seen before in Norman. One was the goal post coming down after the 2000 Nebraska game. That's the only time I have ever seen that at Owen Field. Saturday night was only time I have ever seen the whole stadium erupt in mass celebration. When Clay cross the goal line it was pure pandemonium. OSU wants to think it's because they "have arrived" but you have to win to have actually gotten where you want to be. To Mike Gundy, Robert Allen, and all the other little brothers, just chalk it up to another Poke moral victory. I'm pretty sure you have the series advantage in those. :chuncky:

On a side note Saturday was my 307th OU game and 41st year in a row without missing a home game.

8timechamps likes this.
  13. MyT Oklahoma

MyT Oklahoma New Member

^^ Congrats. That is a world of great memories.

14. cleller

cleller SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Remember the signal light on I-35 in Moore? Hard to believe there was once a red light on I-35. I remember a grad school teacher telling me the interstate ran all the way from Canada to Mexico, and that was the only stop light.

What a distinction.

15. Sooner24

With many more to come I hope.

Wishboned likes this.
  16. Wishboned

Wishboned New Member

This is a great thread. Thanks 24.

17. Sooner24

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

18. Sooner24

In an unprecedented move I am going to name my favorite game of the year before the season is even over. There is no way that anything can top last Saturday in South Bend. We can win a NC this year and it still would not beat out the joy of seeing our team beat Notre Dame for only the second time in our storied history. The setting, the game, the weather, the fans was all over the top. We stayed in the stadium, for what must have been an hour after the game, just soaking in what we had just witnessed. I have been to over 300 OU games and this was top 5 without question and if I were to think about it for a while maybe even higher. After seeing us lose there in 1999 I wasn't sure if I would ever have a chance to see us play there again. Thankfully I did!

19. Sooner24

Quick update. After attending the Iowa State game last month I have now gone 43 years in a row without missing a home game.

20. Breadburner

Breadburner Well-Known Member

Good Job....Thank you for the stories.....!!!