Trent Dilfer says Sam is a PROJECT

Discussion in 'Sooner Football' started by stoopified, Oct 26, 2009.

1. stoopified

stoopified SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Says many NFL people say Sam is 2-3 years or more away from being an NFL starter.According to him this was true even BEFORE Sam got hurt.I have never played NFL footb all or coached BUT IMHO if Sam is healthy I expect him to start as a rookie at some point in his initial season.IF lame a$$ VY can start as a rookie Sam certainly can.Sam is twice the passer that VY will ever be.Dilfer went on to say that Sam needs to learn to read DEFENSES,go through progressions through four recievers.Only thing I can guess is Dilfer has NEVER watched Sam in person or tape just on highlights.Sam has always gone through multiple reciever reads ,even as a frosh.

This was on this morning ESPN THE HERD.BTW Dilfer is now a believer in Clausen as an NFL QB.I'm not saying Sam will be a star in the NFL but I do think he has all the tools especially in terms of intelligence ,work ethic and willl be at least solid if healthy.

2. Collier11

Collier11 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sam is smarter than alot of NFL QBs therefore picking up the Defenses and learning his offense wont be a challenge, Sam still needs to get stronger and I see that as his only downside

I do think Sam would be best suited to not start his rookie year but 2-3 yrs is crazy, JMHO

3. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Sam will go in the 1st round and that means starting pretty quickly if he is ready or not. There is just too much money on the line in 1st round picks to sit on the bench and whoever takes him is in need of a QB. It seems like most high draft choice QBs get on the field around mid-season of their rookie year after it is clear the team is not playoff worthy.

4. westcoast_sooner

westcoast_sooner Well-Known Member

I think it takes awhile (read YEARS) for any college QB to learn how to read NFL defenses. Seems like Eli Manning was thrown to the wolves his first season and the Giants were awful. Stafford is 1-5 with the Lions as a rookie and he'll take awhile to get this whole NFL thing down, IMO.

When Sam gets to the NFL, he'll have to adjust, just like he did in college. I would expect that it will all depend on the situation he's put in. If he's a number 1, and can be the starter early as a rookie, I expect he'd struggle. I think if he has some time to learn the offense, and gets into a situation with a decent offensive line, he'll look a lot better.

Oh, and NFL defenses are faster and are better at disguising what they're going to do, so yes, it will take time for him to learn that.

5. ouleaf

ouleaf New Member

If Sam does land on a team where he is in position to play immediately, I hope it is a team that has a good QB coach or a smart veteran that can help him develop at the next level. Sam could probably benefit from adding a little more weight. His height is a plus, and he is as accurate a passer as they come. I guarantee you he'll score better than a 6 on the Wonderlic, so mentally he is mentally sharp enough to handle the job. He's never had the strongest arm, and I'm not sure these recent injuries help that any.

With that all said, who the hell is Trent Dilfer to talk about QBs. Even at his best he was mediocre and he sure as hell didn't win that Super Bowl ring, his defense did.

6. rawlingsHOH

rawlingsHOH New Member

Dilfer is spot on.

The NFL is heavily west-coast based in their progessions thru the QB drop. As opposed to OU's shotgun, where it is more catch ball, read 1, read 2, and gone.

Unlike a lot of other college "spread" QBs, Sam was under center a LOT! But that passing game was highly comprised of play-pass stuff, and 1 or 2 man routes.

It will definitely require a lot of fundamental work. But Sam is probably borderline brilliant and a good athlete. He'll work it out, but it may take some time.

7. TMcGee86

TMcGee86 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Dilfer was right. He didn't really say Sam couldn't read defenses, just that his accuracy wasn't as good on his second and third reads and that he needed to work on that.

8. BoulderSooner79

BoulderSooner79 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Dilfer is probably right because almost *every* QB coming out of college is a project, so not a huge leap there. I'm just glad Sam won't end up in Detroit - thank-you Mr. Stafford :)

9. IronHorseSooner

IronHorseSooner New Member

Whereas Claussen hasn't had the success that Sam has had, the NFL folks look at the fact that he plays in an NFL-style system, much like SUC QBs.

As far as a "project" goes, even rookies who are starting now are having issues. Stafford has been dinged up, and Sanchez has been downright cold here over the last few weeks. Every QB, and player for that matter, when they jump from one level to the next need that extra coaching and work to be better. What ought to help Sam with the NFL guys on that aspect is how quickly he learned OUr system coming from high school, and how he was immediately effective. He does need to put on about another 10 pounds, but he has time to do that. He is also smart, deadly accurate, and is not a headcase. He will learn progressions as he learns whatever system he enters. It might do him well to go to a place like Seattle, where he could learn from Hasselback, and ease into the job.

10. westbrooke

westbrooke New Member

Dilfer's right, but if he thinks that means Sam won't start for a team in need he's wrong. I watched him say the same things about Sanchez yesterday. Sometimes "projects" learn the hard way.

11. sooner59

sooner59 SoonerFans.com Elite Member

Every QB drafted into the NFL is a project. Its a tough position to jump into in that league. Sam is probably smarter than most, nice arm strength, and good accuracy. He will be fine. Not sure when Dilfer became a talent scout. Sam is a better QB today than Dilfer was his whole career, LOL. Dilfer was absolutely terrible. He has a ring because the Ravens won games in spite of him.....sort of like the Bears and Rex Grossman a few years ago.

12. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Dilfer's book "Quarterbacking for Dummies" could surely help any young NFL Prospect. If his added 2nd book...."How I finally won the big one on my way out of the NFL" is read along with the Dummie Book....any Kid with teh skillz should be able to succeed.

13. sooner59

teh skillz = bone crushing defense (w/ Ray Lewis)

14. StoopTroup

StoopTroup New Member

Trent's currently trying to convince Minnesota to bring him back after Farve retires.

15. sooner59

The Vikings could use an extra water boy.

StoopTroup likes this.
  16. IronHorseSooner

The Dilferception! That was one of Berman's classics!

17. IronHorseSooner

Sorry for the double post, but shouldn't scouts be somewhat concerned about Jake Locker's durability? He was out most of last season. In fact, I think he got injured in his game against us. He's a great overall athlete, like Sam. To me, Claussen = Brady Quinn.

18. SoonerMavrick25

SoonerMavrick25 New Member

I think Dilfer has a point. I'd like to see Sam under center and dropping back reading the D. Rather then OU's Shotgun. Spread operating QB's really have done much in the NFL. Hopefully Bradford can break that trend.

19. Snyder Cyclone

Snyder Cyclone New Member

Yesterday, during the Cowboys game the announcers were commenting on Romo not being the most elusive quarterback in the NFL. This is what most concerns me about Bradford's career in the NFL. Romo is quite a bit more elusive than Sam.

20. IronHorseSooner

Unfortunately, most have came from the SEC, Michigan, Purdue, ND, SUC, or somewhere you've never heard. As a matter of fact, I can't name any former Big XII QBs who are currently starters. VY, Seneca Wallace, Sage Rosenfels, Josh Freeman, Stephen McGee, Booger, and Chrissy are all back ups.