PDA

View Full Version : End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2011, 11:24 AM
Just got word that representatives from a&m meeting with SEC today to work out a deal and as soon as one is reached, they are gone. The same person that told me this was going down said that OU, currently, would not be going to SEC but instead would go to PAC-12 with a couple of other teams.

Right now this is from a source within the aggie football program. Nothing will be posted on or revealed until they and the SEC have a deal.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:25 AM
No surprise here.

jk the sooner fan
8/9/2011, 11:28 AM
i'd rather move to the SEC than the PAC-12

EatLeadCommie
8/9/2011, 11:28 AM
The Pac 12 made some sense before. It doesn't make much sense now.

badger
8/9/2011, 11:32 AM
Just peeked at TexAgs and they appear to have the same sources... but then again, this is what they've all hoped and prayed for so it might just be some wishful thinking.

This is really sad for the little guys of the Big 12. Where exactly will they go? I know that we have to think about OU interests first and foremost because nobody else will if we don't, but we had some solid little guy programs here that needed us all to make this work :(

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 11:33 AM
I have vain hope we will jettison OSU.

MeMyself&Me
The Pac 12 made some sense before. It doesn't make much sense now.

The Pac 16 stills makes sense as long as some local teams go too to make an eastern Pac division.

That said, I went over and looked around at Texaggs when I got word that the LHN contract was available to view via a ling on that sight. I saw mention of something happening today with aTm and the SEC but I also gathered from looking around that that rumor seems to repeat itself every couple of weeks over there. Doesn't mean it's not true, just don't have a lot of faith in it until I see some smoke coming out of other program's camps.

TheHumanAlphabet
The little sisters of the poor conference?

StoopTroup
8/9/2011, 11:34 AM
I remember when it was just the Big 8 and A&M wasn't there.

I understand that someone thinks that their School might leave the Conference they are in....when they start talking about what other Schools will do....They start to lose their credibility quick IMO.

Nothing really Changes at OU as long as we recruit well. Other Teams have to beat us on the Scoreboard. I do think that the weaker the Conference the less chance you have of slicking into the BCS MNC like we have but as long as you schedule decent teams and win....you can still get there.

yankee
8/9/2011, 11:35 AM
Probably a bunch of BS.

StoopTroup
8/9/2011, 11:37 AM
Probably a bunch of BS.

yup.

KantoSooner
8/9/2011, 11:38 AM
Kansas is the most interesting of the 'others'. BS football program, but perennial powerhouse in hoops...and a decentish media market, academics. They have a story to sell. KSU? ISU? Not so much.

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2011, 11:40 AM
Well here is the thing....have there been a lot of departure rumors from the ags? Yes. But the reason why is because they are taking this literally small step by small step. We all know aggies lack critical thinking skills. Anyway, it started with the AD and President, and Board of Regents meeting about their options. Rumor 1. Then a&m has to meet with state representatives because apparently politics are involved with this matter because they don't want to lose their rivalry. Rumor 2. Now this....my point is, there have been a number of rumors but they all mark progress to a departure.

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2011, 11:44 AM
As for the "little guys" I could see titty tech going to the mountain west conference since TCU is peacing out to the Big East next year. Baylor, Kansas, K-state, and Iowa state are really just screwed. Baylor could go Conference USA or Sun Belt, while ku, kstate could go big east as well (mainly for bball purposes) while mizzou and iowa st go Big 10?????

ouflak
8/9/2011, 11:45 AM
Probably a bunch of BS.

Agreed

yankee
I'll believe it when I see it, Rufnek.

badger
The consensus that history will show is that this was all Texas' fault from the beginning. That and that stupid Longhorn Network.

Rumor at TexAgs now is that ESPN is threatening to not televise any of their games if they don't make their UT-Tech game a LHN game.

StoopTroup
8/9/2011, 11:47 AM
Let em go. I still won't give a crap when they are gone. I mean....are we supposed to care? Are we supposed to start a letter writing campaign begging them to stay?

Until the University there has the balls to announce they are shopping around it just doesn't make any difference to me as a fan. They are on the Schedule and we have a game to play against them November 5th in Norman. That's about all I care about is watching our guys run them over with the Schooner.

mgsooner
8/9/2011, 11:53 AM
http://media3.texags.com/0008238-cvrv-640x360.jpg

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2011, 11:53 AM
Well according to BIG XII bylaws, schools can be "charged" depending on how or when they announce they are leaving. When i say charged, I of course mean the conference will with hold money due to a program. For example if a team announces anywhere up to 6 months in advance forfeits 50% of their earnings. If you announce within 2 months or less (Nebraska) you forfeit 90% of what was due to your program. I think a&m is trying to stay quiet about this for that reason alone.

StoopTroup
8/9/2011, 12:00 PM
So we'll only have to endure these "Rumors" until they screw the conference out of their Money halfway into the Season and we can put this **** to bed until they decide to say something in October.

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 12:00 PM
Well according to BIG XII bylaws, schools can be "charged" depending on how or when they announce they are leaving. When i say charged, I of course mean the conference will with hold money due to a program. For example if a team announces anywhere up to 6 months in advance forfeits 50% of their earnings. If you announce within 2 months or less (Nebraska) you forfeit 90% of what was due to your program. I think a&m is trying to stay quiet about this for that reason alone.

That's also why they're filing a grievance first. They want to show cause.

As for OU, everything I'm hearing has OU talking to the Pac 10 and the Big 10. Both options would include OSU and two other teams. I think the Big 10 is a LONGSHOT because I've heard ISU mentioned in that discussion, and there's ZERO chance that Iowa would let that happen. I also don't think OSU fits the academic profile of the Big 10, and frankly, OU is borderline.

badger
8/9/2011, 12:22 PM
That's also why they're filing a grievance first. They want to show cause.

As for OU, everything I'm hearing has OU talking to the Pac 10 and the Big 10. Both options would include OSU and two other teams. I think the Big 10 is a LONGSHOT because I've heard ISU mentioned in that discussion, and there's ZERO chance that Iowa would let that happen. I also don't think OSU fits the academic profile of the Big 10, and frankly, OU is borderline.

OU is heading in the right direction academically, so I think the Big Ten would consider that, whereas another school that they just took, Nebraska, was clearly headed in the wrong direction, yet they took em anyway.

And they also were ready to take Notre Dame, so AACU membership or whatever it is isn't a prerequisite.

usaosooner
8/9/2011, 12:28 PM
OU,OSU,Tech,KU or Houston to the Pac12.. Calling my shot

SoonerPride
8/9/2011, 12:30 PM
Oh how I wish this were true.

3rdgensooner
8/9/2011, 12:31 PM
i'd rather move to the SEC than the PAC-12I hate the idea of moving to the SEC.

SoonerPride
8/9/2011, 12:33 PM
I hate the idea of moving to the SEC.

+1

thecrimsoncrusader
8/9/2011, 12:33 PM
There isn't a more delusional or lacking credibility fan base in all of college football than Texas A&M fans. OK, wait, there is one, but only one.

soonervegas
8/9/2011, 12:36 PM
Here is my best guess:

SEC - A&M
Pac - 12 - OU/OSU/Mizzou/Kansas?
Indy - Texas

Or Beebe convinces Joe C. that losing texas A&M is no biggie,that we are actually stronger as a 9 team conference, and that being next to the warm embrace of Texas is better than actually having balls.

MeMyself&Me
8/9/2011, 12:41 PM
Here is my best guess:

SEC - A&M
Indy - Texas

Or Beebe convinces Joe C. that losing texas A&M is no biggie,that we are actually stronger as a 9 team conference, and that being next to the warm embrace of Texas is better than actually having balls.

Actually, I don't think Texas wants to be indy in a superconference environment and if it's hand is forced, it may be that fourth team going to the Pac 16 and they'll have to make all kinds of concessions for the LHN/ESPN deal or give it up. In fact, I can see the Pac offering just three schools and waiting on Texas to decide.

badger
8/9/2011, 12:47 PM
If we could get some regional teams into the Pac conference (number to be determined), I'd be more open to it, but as it is now, we'd be doing tons of west coast traveling. It might be quite a burden for our budgets, which are not exactly overflowing with money in these harsh economic times.

And yeah, I know we're better off than most, but that doesn't mean we should just throw money away.

A lot of what I'm reading is that UT and ESPN are trying to force the second Big 12 game and the high school broadcast thing, and this is the final straw for Tech and A&M.

This stupid network will be the death of the Big 12. That and that loser Beebe.

usaosooner
8/9/2011, 12:51 PM
@dallasshipp
Dallas Shipp
radio stations in alabama, Kentucky and Mississippi are all reporting A&M to SEC is done deal and will begin in 2012. #gigem

prrriiide
8/9/2011, 12:54 PM
I want SEC. Of course my reasons are selfish.I'd love to see the Sooners at Neyland on a semi-regular basis.

delhalew
8/9/2011, 01:01 PM
The smell of pacthouli makes me want to vomit.

mgsooner
8/9/2011, 01:02 PM
Who the hell is "Dallas Shipp"?

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 01:04 PM
**** the Pac-12. I don't want to play USC and Oregon every year. Bob doesn't want to play Mike every year either.

**** the Pac-12.

And why can't we jettison OSU like Iowa did to ISU?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2011, 01:06 PM
OUDavid's little brother?

sooner59
8/9/2011, 01:09 PM
Who the hell is "Dallas Shipp"?

Kinda what I was wondering.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/9/2011, 01:12 PM
If it was said on Twitter...it is a cold hard fact..deal with it...

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 01:15 PM
**** the Pac-12. I don't want to play USC and Oregon every year. Bob doesn't want to play Mike every year either.

**** the Pac-12.

Iowa and ISU were never tied together. And, if Iowa has its way, they never will be.

jk the sooner fan
8/9/2011, 01:18 PM
I hate the idea of moving to the SEC.

i see a bigger recruiting area there than i do out west

MeMyself&Me
8/9/2011, 01:21 PM

**** the Pac-12.

If divided into 8 team east/west divisions, with two cross divisional games, we wouldn't play USC and Oregon very often, much less every year.

I agree on Bob not wanting to play Mike every year though.

When did Iowa jettison ISU? Iowa athletics has been in the Big 10 since 1900 and ISU never has been there.

badger
8/9/2011, 01:21 PM
Iowa and ISU were never tied together. And, if Iowa has its way, they never will be.

They play every year, that's about it.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 01:25 PM
I don't want to hear of OSU ever again. We gain nothing and lose much by being associated with them.

ouboomer1
8/9/2011, 01:29 PM
i am going to wait till Yahoo reports something, they seem to get it right in the sports world than most other internet sites.

oumartin
8/9/2011, 01:32 PM
OSU is nothing more than dead weight. Funny how they wanna be a big boy but can't walk without holding big brothers hand

badger
8/9/2011, 01:39 PM
My guess is the MWC will reach out to any Big 12ers left without a home. Yes, even Baylor (remember that TCU is leaving, so no worries about them stopping that this time around).

Frankly, I want the Big 12 to hold together somehow, some way, because there's benefits to having a regional conference as opposed to a nationwide, travel-everywhere conference. It's not just abut football and television networks, it's about the fans and the alumni and the whole educational aspect of stuff.

If we have to dump Texas and get someone else on board with that idea, fine.

3rdgensooner
8/9/2011, 01:39 PM
I don't want to hear of OSU ever again. We gain nothing and lose much by being associated with them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/gen3sooner/smilies/1050.gif

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2011, 01:58 PM
Just peeked at TexAgs and they appear to have the same sources... but then again, this is what they've all hoped and prayed for so it might just be some wishful thinking.

This is really sad for the little guys of the Big 12. Where exactly will they go? I know that we have to think about OU interests first and foremost because nobody else will if we don't, but we had some solid little guy programs here that needed us all to make this work :(

C-USA HERE WE COME!

oumartin
8/9/2011, 02:06 PM
C-USA HERE WE COME!

Actually from what I am hearing is there is a good chance Baylor drops football so they can join a decent bball conference.

unbiasedtruth
8/9/2011, 02:11 PM
^^^^^ Baylor has a football team???? ^^^^^

when did this come about??

badger
8/9/2011, 02:15 PM
C-USA HERE WE COME!

I am so sorry SicEm. Perhaps its time to follow sports at your new school, not your old one :(

Tear Down This Wall
8/9/2011, 02:25 PM
As a longtime season ticket holder, I'd love the idea of being in the SEC. Home games against any of those schools is better than an annual does of Baylor, Tech, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Oklahoma State.

Also, getting to visiting real stadiums. The only other real stadiums in the Big 12 outside of Norman are in College Station and Austin. We'll never play in Austin, and we only play in College Station every two years. Nebraska was real.

I'd love road games to Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Auburn...much more tradition than rolling into Waco or Ames or Lubbock.

Chuck Bao
8/9/2011, 02:26 PM
C-USA HERE WE COME!

Bite your tongue. Just bite it.

I still think that the aggie is bluffing. The last thing that A&M or any Big XII team wants is to allow the SEC into the Texas recruitment market.

I think that Bebee should be working his *** off now trying to get Notre Dame to join the Big XII and run an end around A&Ms threats to leave the conference. I think that it would make sense for Notre Dame to join the conference because of the very large recruitment base of Catholics in Texas. In my opinion, if they want to restore their era of dominance, the best way would be to play several games each year in Texas. Yeah, it would help resurrect them but it would still be preferable to several SEC teams pouching Texas players. By fielding mediocre teams is not going to get Notre Dame the TV deals that they once could.

Chuck Bao
8/9/2011, 02:28 PM
I am so sorry SicEm. Perhaps its time to follow sports at your new school, not your old one :(

Badj, I don't love you anymore.

The Maestro
8/9/2011, 02:37 PM
Is that the first two times the word "jettison" has been used on the football board? I'd bet so.

Obviously, living in AZ I sure as heck want OU to the Pac 16...guarantees an OU football game in AZ every year.

Having said that, what would become of OU-Texas? I assume that will be over and done with...which is kind of sad to consider, regardless of the reasons.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2011, 02:41 PM
My guess is the MWC will reach out to any Big 12ers left without a home. Yes, even Baylor (remember that TCU is leaving, so no worries about them stopping that this time around).

Frankly, I want the Big 12 to hold together somehow, some way, because there's benefits to having a regional conference as opposed to a nationwide, travel-everywhere conference. It's not just abut football and television networks, it's about the fans and the alumni and the whole educational aspect of stuff.

If we have to dump Texas and get someone else on board with that idea, fine.
I agree, especially with the regional idea.

yankee
8/9/2011, 02:41 PM
nfm

TMcGee86
8/9/2011, 02:46 PM
Here is my best guess:

SEC - A&M
Indy - Texas

I'd much rather take KU and KSU/Mizzou than Taco Tech.

F all things Texas if this goes down. We'd basically be back to the Big 8 only with AU and ASU instead of Iowa St and Nebbish.

badger
8/9/2011, 02:48 PM
Badj, I don't love you anymore.

What in the hell is wrong with cheering for Ole Miss, SicEm? REBELS! You guys nearly had Ackbar as your mascot!

It's a trap????

SAY IT! Say "It's a trap!" SICEM!

:D

As for the SEC stadiums, I find it amusing that people will use LSU, Florida, Bammer, etc. in their arguments and ignore the fact that they'll also be going to Kentucky, the Mississippi schools (no disrepect to SicEmRebels!) or Vanderbilt.

You will run into this in any conference. The TexAgs argument against going Pac'in over SECeding was that "I'd rather go to LSU, Bammer and Florida than Washington State, Oregon State or Stanford." or something. Essentially, take the worst of the conference you hate, the best of the conference you love.

There is absolutely no exceptions. EVERY conference has crap in football. Do I need to post that graphic I created again to illustrate this?

delhalew
8/9/2011, 02:49 PM
You still gonna love it when those teams are beating your *** week in and week out? That stadium hard-on you got will wear off real quick methinks.

JLEW1818
8/9/2011, 02:54 PM
aggies will never win more than 8 games, if SEC

soonerhubs
8/9/2011, 02:56 PM
Anyone with a link yet?

OU GENO
8/9/2011, 03:02 PM
Would not like to go to lsu and hear tiger bait!

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 03:03 PM
Anyone with a link yet?

Everything I find is paid content on Aggie sites. Lots of tweets. That's all. The newest info from the Aggie sites say that Texas and ESPN are putting pressure on Tech to show the game on the LHN (via telling them that the ESPN networks won't put it on without it being on the LHN) and that has Tech openly looking at its options.

MI Sooner
8/9/2011, 03:24 PM
I love that you'll hear lots of complaints (not just from OU fans, other fanbases as well), about how the SEC dominance is illusory, but then as soon as one of their conference-mates is rumored to go to the SEC, the course of "Good luck, you'll never win there!" begins.

Probably not the same people, just people on the same boards.

northspeter
8/9/2011, 03:26 PM
at least according to twitter updates, a&m officals are denying all rumors....

badger
8/9/2011, 03:27 PM
I think it depends on the program if they'll win in the SEC or not. A good determining factor is if they're winning where they are now. The fact of the matter is that Texas A&M has won the Big 12 a grand total of ONE time, and it wasn't even in this decade. Or century. Or millennium :D

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 03:27 PM
at least according to twitter updates, a&m officals are denying all rumors....

That's to be expected. I also don't know that this is happening any sooner than, say, June of 2012. That said, I really think that this will all go down, it's just a matter of where we end up and how soon it happens.

TMcGee86
8/9/2011, 03:28 PM
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/8/9/2353827/texas-a-m-to-stay-in-college-station

This is getting funny.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2011, 03:36 PM
I give a lot of credence to these new rumors since they're coming from so many different sources at different schools. I first heard about it on the Baylor boards from people who are connected with the brass in the athletic department.

If the rumor is trickling down from the Baylor athletic department, the OU athletic department, and the Aggie department then I'm thinking it's probably true.

soonerhubs
8/9/2011, 03:38 PM
I give a lot of credence to these new rumors since they're coming from so many different sources at different schools. I first heard about it on the Baylor boards from people who are connected with the brass in the athletic department.

If the rumor is trickling down from the Baylor athletic department, the OU athletic department, and the Aggie department then I'm thinking it's probably true.

What'd you eat at the Amish place?

IndySooner
8/9/2011, 03:39 PM

Also seems to be some smoke on the SEC side. That's why I have been pretty confident that something's in the works, too. If it was JUST one Aggie site (like Finebaum is making it sound) then I would take it with a MAJOR grain of salt.

Also, the Aggie sites have backed off a bit, which frankly tells me that A&M is in the process of putting other info out to slow down the information leaks.

TUSooner
8/9/2011, 03:42 PM
C-USA HERE WE COME!

At least you'll have Tulane to beat up on! :O :D

badger
8/9/2011, 03:56 PM
What will actually happen:

SEC: The SEC is proud to announce the addition of a new member school, who was previously in the Big 12 conference.

Aggie: Yes... go on...

SEC: This school has won championships, both conference and national, in football...

Aggie: Yes, technically we have...

SEC: This school brings tradition...

Aggie: Yes!

SEC: A large, nationwide fanbase...

Aggie: YES!

SEC: And identifies with the culture of our respective schools and fanbases.

Aggie: TAKE ME NOW, SEC!

SEC: We are proud to welcome... the University of Oklahoma.

Aggie: :rcmad:

SEC: We have long desired the University of Oklahoma.

Aggie: No.

SEC: We have never sought out another partner school more than the University of Oklahoma.

Aggie: NO.

SEC: And their large presence in the state of Texas and Oklahoma alike is desireable for our continued expansion.

Aggie: ****. ****. ****!!!!!!!! Mobilehoma! Meth heads! Trailer park trash!

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2011, 04:04 PM
What'd you eat at the Amish place?

The roast beef. It's absolutely fantastic. It just sucks that they only serve lunch and close for dinner. I think that place would seriously make a mint off of dinner service.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2011, 04:06 PM
Would OU move without OShi*U?

soonerhubs
8/9/2011, 04:08 PM
The roast beef. It's absolutely fantastic. It just sucks that they only serve lunch and close for dinner. I think that place would seriously make a mint off of dinner service.

Good choice. That's my favorite as well. Their pies are also awesome!

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 04:08 PM
I think if every deal was dependent on us not having OSU, then we would consider it. We can't sink both universities just because one is an academic cesspool and money pit.

picasso
8/9/2011, 04:12 PM
Would OU move without OShi*U?

Nope, legislature would never allow it.

I say wherever aTm goes, we go the opposite direction.

NormanPride
8/9/2011, 04:18 PM
Have legislators come out and said that OU and OSU are attached at the hip? Why does everyone just assume this?

badger
8/9/2011, 04:25 PM
I say wherever aTm goes, we go the opposite direction.

Especially in the polls when they inevitably crash and burn.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2011, 04:38 PM
I've had a rather long running argument with my family over what I want to happen to my body when I die.

Basically, I want to be bronzed in a pose in which I'm flipping the bird. I want my bronzed body to be placed somewhere near HW-6 and University Parks drive in Waco pointed SE toward College Station so that for then to eternity, I can say f'k you to Texas A&M. I even contacted a bronzing company that, on their website, claimed to bronze ANYTHING. Evidently, a human body did not qualify as "anything." Nonetheless, this is what I want to have done when I pass.

Sabanball
8/9/2011, 05:04 PM
The main discussion that I've been reading of this is on the A&M message boards and they are talking
about the powers-that-be are in negotiations now. There is a lot of
smoke for there to be no fire. SEC wants it, I know that for SURE and
don't see how it will not come about and it appears this will be sooner
than later. SEC saw Big 10(12) and Pac 10-->12 getting BIG BUCKS (more
than SEC) with recent TV deals and in SEC contract is re-negotiate clause
if conference expanded. Texas market is big and would make SEC primary
conference for ratings if we get that. As I've been saying, at some point,A&M WILL be coming, mark it down.

SoonerMarkVA
8/9/2011, 05:08 PM

Unfortunately, this (if a&m does bolt) is the only reason we won't be joining them. And that is really sad.

Still, color me skeptical until I hear the SEC itself announce that a&m is joining.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/9/2011, 05:21 PM
I love that you'll hear lots of complaints (not just from OU fans, other fanbases as well), about how the SEC dominance is illusory, but then as soon as one of their conference-mates is rumored to go to the SEC, the course of "Good luck, you'll never win there!" begins.

Probably not the same people, just people on the same boards.

A&M rarely won in the Big 12, where they played in state opponents like TEXAS, TEXAS TECH, and BAYLOR. How are they going to win regularly in another time zone? Saying they won't get above 8 wins if they go to the SEC isn't some absurd comment.

picasso
8/9/2011, 05:55 PM
Have legislators come out and said that OU and OSU are attached at the hip? Why does everyone just assume this?

Because the legislature is chock full of oSu grads.

badger
8/9/2011, 06:03 PM
I really don't get the feeling that the legislators in this state care much about sports conferences as much as the Texas legislators seem to. Rather, the OU-OSU connection seems to be David Boren acting like a mother hen over an entity with similar interests as far as educating the state, bringing high paying jobs to the state via research and education and milking taxpayers and donors for as much money as possible :D

There's really no other way I can describe it --- Uncle Dave's being a mother hen.

soonercoop1
8/9/2011, 07:17 PM
Just got word that representatives from a&m meeting with SEC today to work out a deal and as soon as one is reached, they are gone. The same person that told me this was going down said that OU, currently, would not be going to SEC but instead would go to PAC-12 with a couple of other teams.

Right now this is from a source within the aggie football program. Nothing will be posted on or revealed until they and the SEC have a deal.

OU better not be going to the PAC10...that would suck...

Sabanball
8/9/2011, 07:22 PM
OU better not be going to the PAC10...that would suck...

I predict that is ultimately where you are headed, through process of elimination. The Big 12 will go away and your political entanglements with OSU will keep you from going to the SEC. No way under any circumstances the SEC tenders an offer to the pokes. I realize the Big 10 is a possibility, but I just don't see that as a good fit for you guys--maybe for Mizzou, but not OU.

silverwheels
8/9/2011, 07:27 PM
OU is not a big research university. The Big Ten is not interested. Our future probably lies in the Pac-whatever, which is my preference. We'd have to start cheating a lot harder to be able to keep up with the SEC's elite.

Sabanball
8/9/2011, 08:21 PM
OU is not a big research university. The Big Ten is not interested. Our future probably lies in the Pac-whatever, which is my preference. We'd have to start cheating a lot harder to be able to keep up with the SEC's elite.

Lol.....hey, wait, I know it's been a while, but you guys wrote the book on that back in the '70s and '80s. Cheating is like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget how...;-)

Seriously, I would think with your huge alumni base in Texas and your connection to the petroleum industry that you guys will ultimately end up following Texas to some new version of the PAC-14-16. I'm not buying this 'Texas going Indie' theory.

trwxxa
8/9/2011, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately, I also see the Pac 12 in OU's future. This may seem like a high stakes game of chicken going on right know between UT and aTm, with both sides moving forward with their plan while hoping someone steps in to stop it. At this point, there are only two things that could stop this

1. Texas legislature. They were willing to step in last year to keep the Big 12 together. They have been very quiet on this and may just let things happen. Of course, Gov. Perry is too busy deciding if he wants to go after a higher calling. :P
2. OU. With the money OU is scheduled to get from the Big 12-2 and its history in the conference, I would like to think OU could broker some kind of arrangement. Perhaps that is a pipe dream.

If the move is made, not sure what happens to UT, not do I really care. IF UT wants to go west, ESPN will not be happy since they seem to be going all-in on UT as an indie and the SEC and will let FOX overbid for the Pac 12.

Tuck Fexas!

meoveryouxinfinity
8/9/2011, 10:40 PM
Lol.....hey, wait, I know it's been a while, but you guys wrote the book on that back in the '70s and '80s. Cheating is like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget how...;-)

Seriously, I would think with your huge alumni base in Texas and your connection to the petroleum industry that you guys will ultimately end up following Texas to some new version of the PAC-14-16. I'm not buying this 'Texas going Indie' theory.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/julio-jones-the-man-of-many-suits.php

Football Jim
8/9/2011, 10:54 PM
Fact of life #1 Without OU, OSU has nothing.
Fact of life #2 Without TU, A&M has nothing.

All smoke, no fire. A&M stays put.

finster
8/9/2011, 11:00 PM
You Know, It's time for A&M to **** or get off the pot. I along with the rest of America have seen the blatant hypocrisy of the horns.
The whole, It's out of the Longhorns hands if Longhorn H.S. recruits are featured and interviewed by Longhorn vetted Longhorn announcers on the Longhorn network, Blame ESPN. It’s impossible to swallow outside of Austin. And the NCAA won't.
That said, Have you been to East Texas lately? The SECEDE bumper-stickers and the high pitched whine from the fan base is unbearable. Don't know a lot about Texas politics, But whoever told them their biggest rival will always put A&M interests above their own was not being honest with these numb nuts.

“Stupid is as Stupid does” Mr. Gump

And Nebraska did the same thing,only backwards. At first I was sorry to see them go, but it looked to me like they would be a good fit in the Big 10. Now it,s all OU and the rest of the little 9 are just Texas bitches.
It appears the Big 12 was made up of a bunch of posers and puppy's.

NEWS FLASH COWARDS. Texas Sucks,We’ve been playing them for a while now. THEY HAVE ALWAYS SUCKED! just beat their soft little (My daddy's rich and he say) butts on the field,and all is right in the conference. How the hell can you be scared of this marshmallow school?

Bunch of PU$$Y'S

SoonerinSouthlake
8/9/2011, 11:22 PM
Would not like to go to lsu and hear tiger bait!

you must not have attended the MNC game against LoSUr if thats the worst think you think you would hear

TheHumanAlphabet
8/9/2011, 11:40 PM
I've had a rather long running argument with my family over what I want to happen to my body when I die.

Basically, I want to be bronzed in a pose in which I'm flipping the bird. I want my bronzed body to be placed somewhere near HW-6 and University Parks drive in Waco pointed SE toward College Station so that for then to eternity, I can say f'k you to Texas A&M. I even contacted a bronzing company that, on their website, claimed to bronze ANYTHING. Evidently, a human body did not qualify as "anything." Nonetheless, this is what I want to have done when I pass.

Plasticize Baby! Like the traveling exhibit.

ouwasp
8/9/2011, 11:41 PM

Amen, bro......oh, imagine the wailing and gnashing of tooth from those poke b*stards... :) That will give me sweet dreams tonight.

But I suspect the whole thing is just an aggie wet dream in itself.

silverwheels
8/9/2011, 11:55 PM

The Longhorn Network is what kept the PAC-10 from adding Texas and unless UT gets rid of it (not bloody likely unless it turns out to be a huge failure), they're not going West.

finster
8/10/2011, 12:23 AM

So it goes.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 12:37 AM
There's not a more delusional fanbase out there than our aggies and I think you guys know that by now. Byrne's just trying to get the egg off of his face after he left millions on the table when Dodds offered him a joint 3rd-tier channel with us and he said it would never make money. He's just trying to appease his angry constituents.

And the aggie pay boards are just making money off of their lemmings' angst, driving them to buy subscriptions and they're lapping it up.

silverwheels
8/10/2011, 12:40 AM
Yeah your Aggies have the biggest inferiority complex in the nation and it bugs even me, a diehard Sooner fan. I do not like those nut-squeezers at all.

prrriiide
8/10/2011, 01:02 AM
Because the legislature is chock full of oSu grads.

More proof of the lack of intelligence of the voting public.

educating the state, bringing high paying jobs to the state

Well, if you mean plenty of sheep doctors and pharmacists, then yes. Oh, and don't forget the meth peddlers. Puts a lot into the state's economy.

Of course, Gov. Perry is too busy deciding if he wants to go after a higher calling.

What do you mean, a higher calling then the Governor of the GREAT STATE OF TEXASS? SACRILEGE!!!! :texan:

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 01:06 AM
Yeah your Aggies have the biggest inferiority complex in the nation and it bugs even me, a diehard Sooner fan. I do not like those nut-squeezers at all.

Yep.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2011, 01:11 AM
If Herr agrees with you, you should be baned!

silverwheels
8/10/2011, 01:17 AM
I don't think hating on Texas A&M, whether Sooner or Longhorn, is a baneable offense. They deserve it.

Quik Sand
8/10/2011, 07:55 AM
There's not a more delusional fanbase out there than our aggies and I think you guys know that by now. Byrne's just trying to get the egg off of his face after he left millions on the table when Dodds offered him a joint 3rd-tier channel with us and he said it would never make money. He's just trying to appease his angry constituents.

And the aggie pay boards are just making money off of their lemmings' angst, driving them to buy subscriptions and they're lapping it up.Oklahoma State gives them a run for their money...

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 08:14 AM
Oklahoma State gives them a run for their money...

At least they have a bunch of rasslin titles.

NormanPride
8/10/2011, 09:03 AM
I think baj is right. As much as I love Uncle Dave and what he's done for this university, he's protecting OSU. They're not good enough to get into a major conference without us, and I don't think the legislators have the balls to **** off the Sooner fanbase by sinking a great deal in favor of having OSU tag along.

jkjsooner
8/10/2011, 09:48 AM
Actually, I don't think Texas wants to be indy in a superconference environment and if it's hand is forced, it may be that fourth team going to the Pac 16 and they'll have to make all kinds of concessions for the LHN/ESPN deal or give it up. In fact, I can see the Pac offering just three schools and waiting on Texas to decide.

I think Texas would find being an independent a nightmare. That's even more true with the LHN. No quality opponent would consider playing Texas if the game is exclusive to the LHN and that would either kill the LHN or Texas. In addition, I don't think any other major conference would agree to have Texas conference games on the LHN.

I think Texas pushed the limit a little too far here and they may pay a steep price. Unless they have a patsy conference (Big12) that will comply the LHN can't survive the way it is currently envisioned.

If the LHN wants to televise games other than paycheck opponents they better hope the Big 12 stays intact.

Can you imagine anyone playing Notre Dame if their games were on something similar to the LHN instead of NBC? Any athletic director who agreed to play a series where at least one of the games would not be viewable by the fan base (without paying for the oppenent's network) would be fired pretty quickly.

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 10:17 AM
I think Texas would find being an independent a nightmare. That's even more true with the LHN. No quality opponent would consider playing Texas if the game is exclusive to the LHN and that would either kill the LHN or Texas. In addition, I don't think any other major conference would agree to have Texas conference games on the LHN.

I think Texas pushed the limit a little too far here and they may pay a steep price. Unless they have a patsy conference (Big12) that will comply the LHN can't survive the way it is currently envisioned.

If the LHN wants to televise games other than paycheck opponents they better hope the Big 12 stays intact.

Can you imagine anyone playing Notre Dame if their games were on something similar to the LHN instead of NBC? Any athletic director who agreed to play a series where at least one of the games would not be viewable by the fan base (without paying for the oppenent's network) would be fired pretty quickly.

Yup. That's why I think Tech, OU, and OSU to the pac without a fourth team is a likely invite. They'll keep that spot open until Tejas makes up their mind to give up on LHN. Tejas may make up their mind quick enough that it seems in unison with the other three but it may come later.

badger
8/10/2011, 10:37 AM
I am sure exceptions could be made for other states as far as the LHN goes. I mean, when Packer games were to be broadcast on a cable channel, did that mean most of rural Wisconsin went without Packers that week? HELL, NO! They got some local TV station to carry the cable broadcast and we all just watched the game like we would have had it been on a local channel instead.

Now... if you're in TEXAS, you might get blacked out if you don't have the LHN. But if they played, say, Bammer, there's no way in hell ESPN is missing out on that viewership. They'd likely broadcast it on the local ABC affiliate in every state except Texas.

Octavian
8/10/2011, 11:14 AM
I think baj is right. As much as I love Uncle Dave and what he's done for this university, he's protecting OSU.

I'm in the minority here...but I disagree on this part. Agreed with the Legislature comment though -- there's no state law that mandates we have to be in the same conference. From 1920-1960 we were in different conferences. Last summer, OSU's leaders basically said a big Thank You when we told everyone we didn't want them left behind.

I think OU didn't want to go the SEC and we used OSU as a PR shield to refuse that offer. I think we'd be very happy if the Pac would accept OSU, but I don't think for a second that we'd reject the Pac offer just to protect OSU if the boat was sinking.

We don't have the same BOR. There is no PUF in Oklahoma like Texas. OU's leaders want OSU with us, for sure. I do too. It's good for the state. But if it all hits the fan, OU's leaders aren't going to sacrifice the university and the football program to Mountain West Purgatory just to protect OSU. That's just not going to happen.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/10/2011, 11:37 AM
Texas would have a HARD time making at as a independent. Notre Dame has a pre-set conference like schedule. They know they will be playing Michigan, Navy, USC, Michigan St, Purdue, Boston College every year so those guys are like a conference schedule. Plus they play Stanford, Pittsburgh and Army most years as well so they have to come up with 2 or 3 games a year like any conference team. Texas would have none of those, Oklahoma will play them regardless, outside of that, you think it is a guarantee A&M plays them. You think if Baylor, Kansas, Iowa St, and others end up in Conference USA, they are going to be stoked to help Texas fill their schedule. Do you think SEC teams will want to add a non conference game with a team like Texas? I know if I am Alabama, I don't want to play Texas, especially with the hassle of the LHN. They would have to work there *** off to get to 10 or 11 games and non of them would have any assured quality....

IndySooner
8/10/2011, 04:12 PM
FYI, Finebaum has gone on the record today saying that he was wrong yesterday and he's pretty confident that something is going on with A&M and the SEC.

A&M writers seem confident that it's happening and happening soon.

northspeter
8/10/2011, 05:06 PM
FYI, Finebaum has gone on the record today saying that he was wrong yesterday and he's pretty confident that something is going on with A&M and the SEC.

A&M writers seem confident that it's happening and happening soon.

Emig via twitter... just posted a quote from texas governer Rick Perry on the A&M to the SEC talk... "Conversations are being had..."

usaosooner
8/10/2011, 05:12 PM
Finebaum changed his tune from yesterday

More than just smoke here

silverwheels
8/10/2011, 05:12 PM
A&M has talked too much **** now to back out. The end (of the Big 12) is nigh...

BigUgly
8/10/2011, 05:29 PM
Prolly the end. But what about pulling Arkie away from the SEC to replace Aggie?

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 05:36 PM
Prolly the end. But what about pulling Arkie away from the SEC to replace Aggie?

Why do people continue to mention this like it's a possibility? Is it supposed to be a joke that I just don't get?

Sabanball
8/10/2011, 05:39 PM
On the Paul Finebaum show today , an A&M newsman was re-interviewed, after reporting yesterday it was imminent, and given short shrift yesterday (imagine that), and today both PF and the newsman agreed because their sources both held the same thing. Plus PF reported the Texas Governor, who was a big sticking point last year on the merger, now says they (A&M) are in disscusions, and seemed for the move. The guy on PF said the board of regents at A&M, have called a meeting August 22nd, and that a move is imminent, possibly THIS year as 13th team, if not then next year....Slive is said to be on board. Larry Scott the commish of the pac 12 in a separate interview on the show today, said he's heard the same reports. stay tuned....:pop:

BigUgly
8/10/2011, 06:03 PM
Why do people continue to mention this like it's a possibility? Is it supposed to be a joke that I just don't get?

It's a crazy world.

westbrooke
8/10/2011, 06:04 PM

It's a nice thought, but if this is really going down, can't imagine why Arkansas would bail out of a thriving conference to join a disintegrating one. Rats don't usually jump on sinking ships.

BigUgly
8/10/2011, 06:12 PM
Agree - the cows are out of the barn. I just suspect Beebe won't go down without a fight.

What are the TV numbers between the state of Arkansas v. TAMU fanbase?

Arkie splitting TV revs 10 ways versus 13 - 16 in a revamped SEC may make sense.

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 07:21 PM
It's a crazy world.

It ain't that crazy.

Sooner Eclipse
8/10/2011, 07:43 PM
Agree - the cows are out of the barn. I just suspect Beebe won't go down without a fight.

What are the TV numbers between the state of Arkansas v. TAMU fanbase?

Arkie splitting TV revs 10 ways versus 13 - 16 in a revamped SEC may make sense.

Beebe is a * stooge. Arky would sooner burn the state down before associating with * again. The only way they're leaving the SEC is if * joins.

Muno
8/10/2011, 07:46 PM
Chip Brown was on the radio this afternoon and claimed to tap his sources late last night and all today and here is a summary of his comments:

*A&M does have an invite to join the SEC. No other Big 12 team has an invite and several of his sources believe that they would look east to add the 14th team if A&M decides to join. FSU was mentioned as the leading candidate for that spot with Clemson and Virginia Tech as the other candidates. OU's allegiance to OSU is preventing them from heading east.

*There has been some recent turnover on the A&M Board of Regents and the new Regents are much more open to a move to the SEC to the Regents that left.

*Nothing is imminent (as in the next few days) but A&M has hired consultants to help evaluate whether a move to the SEC could work and a go or no go decision will likely come at the Regents meeting later this month. He doesn't believe the SEC offer is a standing offer so they will need to make a decision fairly quickly.

*His sources within UT stated that UT will attempt to replace A&M with another school to keep the Big12 together. UT does not want to go independent at this time (possibly later) and they know a move to another conference will force them to rework the LHN. Chip mentioned that several schools are pretty frustrated with UT"s antics including the latest debacle with ESPN attempting to force Tech's hand on getting that game on the LHN. He is not sure if the conference could stay together at this point if A&M leaves.

*Officials at several Big 12 schools have confirmed that A&M is considering the move and they are working on contingency plans.

*He also stated that there was no way that the UT/A&M football series would continue if A&M left for the SEC.

*When asked to predict the outcome he believes it is more likely that the A&M Board of Regents will vote to move to the SEC later this month.

IndySooner
8/10/2011, 07:48 PM
Yesterday, Chip Brown said it wasn't happening. It's happening. Things are leaking out quickly today.

Muno
8/10/2011, 07:52 PM
Yesterday, Chip Brown said it wasn't happening. It's happening. Things are leaking out quickly today.

I heard that as well from him but it looks like he has changed his tune.

Sooner95
8/10/2011, 08:14 PM
Based on what I'm seeing, this is a done deal. Big 9..

IndySooner
8/10/2011, 08:16 PM
Based on what I'm seeing, this is a done deal. Big 9..

This will be the first domino. When it happens, expect the rest of the dominoes to fall quickly, with OU leading the way.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 08:18 PM
A&M has talked too much **** now to back out.
That hasn't stopped them before. Just sayin.

Sooner95
8/10/2011, 08:20 PM
Agree.... PAC14

NORTH

Cal
Oregon
Oregonst
Stanford
Wash
Washst
UTAH

SOUTH

AZ
AZST
CU
UCLA
USC
OU
OSU

I know peeps would like to break away from OSU...but hell, why? We own them....lol

And personally I'd like to bust Usuc in the mouth each year for the Div title.. Yea!

Illuminati
8/10/2011, 08:23 PM
Let's go to the C-USA so we can never lose again!

Sooner95
8/10/2011, 08:24 PM
And before I hear the travel budgets argument..... a trip out to Arizona each year would not be more than say a trip to Ames, or Lincoln..

figure 8-9 Conf games..so yes, we would have to make a trip or 2, depending on the year rotation, to WA or OR..but the same can be said for those schools as well.

And a trip out to either L.A. school would not only benefit recruiting, but those games would be on TV all the time.

Sooner Eclipse
8/10/2011, 08:25 PM
Let's go to the C-USA so we can never win an NC again!

FIFY

Illuminati
8/10/2011, 08:27 PM
FIFY

:D

northspeter
8/10/2011, 08:35 PM
a couple more teams would join the move out west... look for a pac 16... that commish is a forward thinker... the 1st of the new breed mega conferences...

spanielboy
8/10/2011, 09:00 PM
If you are really interested in following a Twitter account of the events involving A&M, then the best will probably be http://twitter.com/#!/BrentZwerneman

Brent is the reporter for San Antonio News Express and Houston Chronicle follwing the Aggies. Brent makes the Aggies on Texags quite mad at times since he does not follow the "plan".

In regards to the reporter that was on the Finebaum show today, it was Billy Liucci, who is one of the co-owners of Texags. He has been dropping hints behind his premium paying curtain for weeks, but it looks like the Scout website (Aggiewebsider) has really leaked the information to get the natives frothing at the lips these last couple of seven-ten days.

One rumor being ballooned out, and it is from the Aggiewebsider site, is that the renegotiation of the SEC contract would pay each program in the neighborhood of $34M/year. Undoubtly the PAC and Big10 would try to follow suit by expanding, but if the rumor is correct that A&M is the only new program at this time, the follow-up three programs would undoubtly cause the SEC contract to be renegotiated again to make sure the PAC and Big10 did not get too much of the loot.

There is another rumor that if A&M does truly leave, the Flyover Conference may try to get a replacement to keep the conference going. Rumors of potential replacements are TCU and UH, and an outside chance that Texas may push for BYU and Air Force to join too. Again, it is the latest rumor based on what seems that Texas does not want to become an independent. If either TCU or UH, probably the most likely candidate, is added as a replacement, the new conference would likely try to keep its current television deal -- that means more money for Texas and Oklahoma at least (divy up the A&M pot to however Beebe decides is best for the conference).

Sooner Eclipse
8/10/2011, 09:10 PM
If you are really interested in following a Twitter account of the events involving A&M, then the best will probably be http://twitter.com/#!/BrentZwerneman

Brent is the reporter for San Antonio News Express and Houston Chronicle follwing the Aggies. Brent makes the Aggies on Texags quite mad at times since he does not follow the "plan".

In regards to the reporter that was on the Finebaum show today, it was Billy Liucci, who is one of the co-owners of Texags. He has been dropping hints behind his premium paying curtain for weeks, but it looks like the Scout website (Aggiewebsider) has really leaked the information to get the natives frothing at the lips these last couple of seven-ten days.

One rumor being ballooned out, and it is from the Aggiewebsider site, is that the renegotiation of the SEC contract would pay each program in the neighborhood of $34M/year. Undoubtly the PAC and Big10 would try to follow suit by expanding, but if the rumor is correct that A&M is the only new program at this time, the follow-up three programs would undoubtly cause the SEC contract to be renegotiated again to make sure the PAC and Big10 did not get too much of the loot.

There is another rumor that if A&M does truly leave, the Flyover Conference may try to get a replacement to keep the conference going. Rumors of potential replacements are TCU and UH, and an outside chance that Texas may push for BYU and Air Force to join too. Again, it is the latest rumor based on what seems that Texas does not want to become an independent. If either TCU or UH, probably the most likely candidate, is added as a replacement, the new conference would likely try to keep its current television deal -- that means more money for Texas and Oklahoma at least (divy up the A&M pot to however Beebe decides is best for the conference).

If all this works out to be true and it all implodes around the arrogant asses in austin, Ima be highly pissed if we dont bail for the SEC or PAC. If we allow * to buy more time by inviting in more exSWC retreads, JoeC & DB need their heads examined. This noose needs to hang around *s neck.

LASooner
8/10/2011, 09:21 PM
The guy on PF said the board of regents at A&M, have called a meeting August 22nd, and that a move is imminent, possibly THIS year as 13th team,

You mean for basketball and other sports?? There's no way they move to the SEC this season in football.

soonervegas
8/10/2011, 09:29 PM
Uh....OU and Houston better not be in a conference together. I am believing more in the Pac 12 inviting OU, OSU, and Tech? To put pressure on Texas to fold the network and join the Pac. Texas may have overestimated their power this time. We will see....

Sooner Among The Pack
8/10/2011, 09:44 PM
Seriously, would OU stay in a Big 9 Conference sans A&M, to be replaced with a team like UH or BYU, if a move to the PAC-X was on the table? I would hope not.

Sabanball
Everything I'm hearing says this is all still very fluid but it would appear that the TAMU/SEC ship has sailed. My OU friends--Enjoy being in the PAC-14-16....and, respectfully, I think you're being sold down the river by your administration for political expediency. You all are more aligned with us in the Deep South than you are with the western US..Your fan base would have travelled better being in the SEC. A road trip to GA/AL is a one day thing--going to California is not. But then again, there are some positives-- you guys might have the opportunity to dominate there more than you would have had you cast your lot with us. And, Maybe this is your opportunity to reverse your futility against USC....you'll probably get a shot at them if not every yr every couple of years. Wherever you land, the Sooner nation will be just fine....I just wish it had been in the SEC.

IndySooner
Seriously, would OU stay in a Big 9 Conference sans A&M, to be replaced with a team like UH or BYU, if a move to the PAC-X was on the table? I would hope not.

If so, there will be riots in Norman.

Phil
8/10/2011, 10:07 PM
A road trip to GA/AL is a one day thing--going to California is not.

Ummm, no. Athens, GA is only about 400 miles closer to Norman than Los Angeles is. When you're driving 1000 miles, another 400 is not a big deal. Not a big deal to me either way, because if it's further than Kansas City, I'm flying anyway. The only occasional exception to that is College Station, because it's at least two hours from anywhere, but that problem is apparently going to solve itself.

Besides, odds are very good that if a PAC expansion happens, you would see OU, OSU, Tech, and one other school in this general area in an East Division with Utah, Colorado, and the two AZ schools. That'll mean one trip to CA, OR, or WA every year, along with a trip to AZ. The rest of the time, the travel will be similar to what it is now. With the non-conference road games we usually have every year (Washington, Oregon, Miami, Florida State, etc.), our fans are used to traveling.

Another thing - the PAC is doing their conference championship game at the home stadium of the division winner with the best record. How's OU-Oregon for the conference title, IN NORMAN, strike anybody?

Sabanball
8/10/2011, 10:12 PM
Ummm, no. Athens, GA is only about 400 miles closer to Norman than Los Angeles is. When you're driving 1000 miles, another 400 is not a big deal. Not a big deal to me either way, because if it's further than Kansas City, I'm flying anyway. The only occasional exception to that is College Station, because it's at least two hours from anywhere, but that problem is apparently going to solve itself.

Besides, odds are very good that if a PAC expansion happens, you would see OU, OSU, Tech, and one other school in this general area in an East Division with Utah, Colorado, and the two AZ schools. That'll mean one trip to CA, OR, or WA every year, along with a trip to AZ. The rest of the time, the travel will be similar to what it is now. With the non-conference road games we usually have every year (Washington, Oregon, Miami, Florida State, etc.), our fans are used to traveling.

Another thing - the PAC is doing their conference championship game at the home stadium of the division winner with the best record. How's OU-Oregon for the conference title, IN NORMAN, strike anybody?

You wouldn't have to go to Georgia every yr. But .....Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

For what its worth, it would appear that TAMU is stabbing you guys in the back....

Talked with a former member of the BOT @ aTm and a former player with prominent family in College Station. This is supposedly what is going down:

Take away:
1. TAMU to SEC will happen as long as OU is not included.
2. Preference would be to bring Missouri with AU moving to the east.
3. To get past TX legistlature, TX Tech & Baylor to Pac 10(12) (OU & OSU would most likely join them)
4. Legistlative pressure will be put on aTm and UT to agree to keep series.

If the above happened, I assume UT goes Independent and Kansas goes to Big 10, possibly with Syracuse. K-State and Iowa State are left out to dry, maybe CUSA?

soonervegas
8/10/2011, 10:18 PM
I can't see a scenario where the PAC-12 takes Baylor. Heck if I was them I wouldn't even take Tech, I would be mote interested in Mizzou.

I can definitely see A&M pushing for no OU, although it is irrelevant because of our link to OSU

IndySooner
8/10/2011, 10:18 PM
Sabanball,

I think it's cute that A&M thinks they would be picked over OU for the SEC berth. From what I hear, OU has already told the SEC thanks, but no thanks. OU is negotiating with the Pac 10 and the Big 10. Big 10 might just be a pawn in this game because I don't see how they'd let us drag OSU along.

Also, if you think the SEC will stop at 14, you're nuts. There will be four super conferences with a minimum of 16 teams when all of this is done. That will be your "playoff" for college football.

IndySooner
8/10/2011, 10:19 PM
I can't see a scenario where the PAC-12 takes Baylor. Heck if I was them I wouldn't even take Tech, I would be mote interested in Mizzou.

This

Phil
8/10/2011, 10:24 PM
You wouldn't have to go to Georgia every yr. But .....Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

I want that.

For what its worth, it would appear that TAMU is stabbing you guys in the back....

Meh, Aggy would be doing us a favor.

Talked with a former member of the BOT @ aTm and a former player with prominent family in College Station. This is supposedly what is going down:

Take away:
3. To get past TX legistlature, TX Tech & Baylor to Pac 10(12) (OU & OSU would most likely join them)

If the above happened, I assume UT goes Independent and Kansas goes to Big 10, possibly with Syracuse. K-State and Iowa State are left out to dry, maybe CUSA?

#1 - heh. They're going to get their brains bashed in every week in the SEC West anyway - they don't want one more team wielding a hammer on them. #2 - Good riddance. #3 - Certainly plausible. #4 - For sure. Aggy's whole existence is tied up with UT. I can't imagine, even if they went to the SEC, that they wouldn't be required to play each other every year. We will always play Texas, whether we're in the same conference or not. I'm extremely confident of that.

Sooner Eclipse
8/10/2011, 10:25 PM

Take away:

They've made their bed, If OU elected to join the SEC, Im sure Slive would be more than happy to have us. aTm would have to lay there and take it in the azz. What are they going to do? Crawl back and suck off *?

Sabanball
8/10/2011, 10:26 PM
Sabanball,

I think it's cute that A&M thinks they would be picked over OU for the SEC berth. From what I hear, OU has already told the SEC thanks, but no thanks. OU is negotiating with the Pac 10 and the Big 10. Big 10 might just be a pawn in this game because I don't see how they'd let us drag OSU along.

Also, if you think the SEC will stop at 14, you're nuts. There will be four super conferences with a minimum of 16 teams when all of this is done. That will be your "playoff" for college football.

Indy,

I don't think we disagree on much, but I DO think our conference would rather get a foothold in the state of Texas than invite you guys--not that I agree with that, but I DO think that is the situation. We are definitely headed toward super conferences. That being said...I dont see a scenario where OSU would ever be invited to the SEC, whether that is truly the rub between OU and the SEC, I don't know, however, I suspect it is at least a part of the discussion.

Regardless of where you guys land in all of this, it really won't matter in the large scheme of things. OU is a valuable brand, and you will continue to compete for championships no matter what.

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 10:27 PM

THIS, by and large, is why I'd prefer the Pac. Most reasonable alignment would continue with mostly local games with a pretty cool conference game setup and a Rose Bowl invite to the winner. I actually like that better than the old Big 12... not as good at the old Big 8 though.

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 10:32 PM

Take away:

This post was so far off in so many ways I thought you were going to start counting national championships again...

Indy,

I don't think we disagree on much, but I DO think our conference would rather get a foothold in the state of Texas than invite you guys--not that I agree with that, but I DO think that is the situation. We are definitely headed toward super conferences. That being said...I dont see a scenario where OSU would ever be invited to the SEC, whether that is truly the rub between OU and the SEC, I don't know, however, I suspect it is at least a part of the discussion.

Regardless of where you guys land in all of this, it really won't matter in the large scheme of things. OU is a valuable brand, and you will continue to compete for championships no matter what.

That one made a lot more sense. No problem with that one.

It seems you have so many really good posts mixed with really off the wall posts here... can't figure you out...

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 10:32 PM
Everything I'm hearing says this is all still very fluid ...
Won't happen. Period. Our Aggies are (Byrne) trying to mitigate their stupidity on TLN. They're still just trying to negotiate on the high school games and the Big XII game on our network. The NCAA is set to rule on the high school game issue on Aug 22.

Personally, I hope they leave and I never have to interact with those idiots ever again. But they won't. Again.

FirstandGoal
8/10/2011, 10:35 PM
In all honesty, I'm not worried or curious about where we might end up.

To me, this whole situation is like being back in grade school and 2 team captains are taking turns picking their teammates.

Its a great feeling to know that we are the kid that everybody wants to snap up on their team first so however this goes down, it will us going where we want to go.... and we will know that we are a coveted and valued commodity.

SoonerMom2
8/10/2011, 10:37 PM
Would I rather go to Athens, GA, or Los Angeles? LA hands down and more -- we used to live in SoCal in the foothills and would love to be the tourist in the area. Driving to Pasadena to play UCLA in the Rose Bowl would be awesome. My daughter and I were at the Rose Bowl about 10 days before the Bowl Game OU went to and won. They already had everything in place with OU signs everywhere. Been through a lost of the SEC towns going to and from Orlando -- I will take going west not to mention airfare to the west coast is cheaper from here even though I hate to fly. I think our style of football fits in better there and frankly wouldn't mind going back to Phoenix or Tuscon to watch OU either. It is really not a bad drive and the scenery is beautiful. Although hope it is warmer in Phoenix then it was for the Fiesta Bowl.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 10:39 PM
In all honesty, I'm not worried or curious about where we might end up.

To me, this whole situation is like being back in grade school and 2 team captains are taking turns picking their teammates.

Its a great feeling to know that we are the kid that everybody wants to snap up on their team first so however this goes down, it will us going where we want to go.... and we will know that we are a coveted and valued commodity.

OU will definitely be fine in any scenario. Very true. Top 5 program all time.

sooner59
8/10/2011, 10:43 PM
Kansas wouldn't be bad for the PAC-12 to go after either, seeing as they are a bball power.

AlboSooner
8/10/2011, 10:44 PM
OU is not a big research university. .

huh?

sooner59
8/10/2011, 10:48 PM
Conferences champions of each of the 4 mega-conferences + 4 at-large = Playoffs. I like it. I DGAS who else does or doesn't. :D

sooner59
8/10/2011, 10:49 PM
huh?

Somebody needs to tell all these rich people that are donating money to build all of these research facilities on campus.

ouwasp
8/10/2011, 10:52 PM
If the inevitable does indeed come to pass and the Big XII has the fatal collapse... say OU can work a deal that does NOT include OSU.

Let's hear the pros and cons. Smart-*** and/or intelligent remarks are both welcome.

Sabanball
8/10/2011, 10:53 PM
Won't happen. Period. Our Aggies are (Byrne) trying to mitigate their stupidity on TLN. They're still just trying to negotiate on the high school games and the Big XII game on our network. The NCAA is set to rule on the high school game issue on Aug 22.

Personally, I hope they leave and I never have to interact with those idiots ever again. But they won't. Again.

I respectfully disagree. There is too much going on for this to be just posturing. To me, the timing is the only issue left that is in doubt. Barring something unforeseen, I think AM is headed to the SEC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no big fan of TAMU--in fact, some of their traditions and activities during the football season strike me as being very cult-like and downright weird. If we did what I wanted to do, OU would be headed to the SEC and we'd bring in another team from the eastern seaboard to balance out the league. But that is not what the PTB want. I'm simply saying what I think is going to happen...

AlboSooner
Somebody needs to tell all these rich people that are donating money to build all of these research facilities on campus.

iknowrite, there's like a new building research facility being built each year.

sec i like for football and it would make NC meaningless. If you win a conference with OU, Bama, Florida, and LSU in it, you got nothing else to prove.

I do like the pac 10 for academic reasons, and beautiful sites. OU's academic profile would increase dramatically. research partnerships with UCLA and Stanford = drool...

brainpimp
What is this Con of which you speak?

ouwasp
8/10/2011, 10:55 PM
What is this Con of which you speak?

This is a good question :confused:

AlboSooner
8/10/2011, 10:57 PM
i feel bad for them. i really do. but not enough to want to diminish OU even an ounce.

sooner59
8/10/2011, 11:00 PM
I would grin if they ended up in the new Mountain West with Boise.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 11:03 PM
I respectfully disagree. There is too much going on for this to be just posturing.
That's fine. I would submit they're just trying to maintain their position in the Big XII given the new reality of a Longhorn tv channel with the NCAA decision on high school games coming up.

But I hope you're right. I hope they leave. And you have no IDEA about their weirdness.

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2011, 11:03 PM
It astounds me that with all of the major football programs that exist east of the Rockies and west of the Mississippi that there may not be a major conference left in that geographical area except part of the Big 10(+2).

I really and absolutely do NOT want to see OU go to the Pac-12. I think that would be nothing short of disastrous. How well is OU going to consistently travel that far west week after week?

I couldn't give two-****s where OSU or the remaining former north teams go.

I can see Tech and Baylor going somewhere together...possibly. I don't consider us moving down to a non-BCS conference to be as disastrous as some think it will be. Our facilities far far outclass anything else in the non-BCS conferences (minus the football stadium). The only concern I have on that front is how it might affect the, as of now, very early plans for a new on-campus stadium. If we move to a non-BCS conference the money people might sink more money into renovating The Case instead of building a new place on campus.

My biggest wish in all of this is that A&M get royally screwed out of whatever deal it makes.

Sooner_Tuf
8/10/2011, 11:05 PM
There might be a con for the state of Oklahoma. The con I can think of for OU would be losing a game you win every year.

The pro's would be not having to go to that sinkhole anymore. Plus it would so cool hearing them claim how they wanted to go to Conf USA.

Its time they go be someone else's bitch, they have been ours for far too long.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2011, 11:05 PM
My biggest wish in all of this is that A&M get royally screwed out of whatever deal it makes.

They will despite their best efforts. Either way.

AlboSooner
8/10/2011, 11:06 PM

sure, but am I wrong to think it's all texas' fault? somehow i think texas could have prevented this

Sabanball
8/10/2011, 11:07 PM
I went to HS in Oklahoma back in the '80s with nothing but seemingly OSU fans(students AND teachers). They are the weirdest people I've ever been around in my life(including Auburn fans)....

That being said, I'd hate to think you guys, with one of the top 5 brands in all of college football, would in any way let that little wannabe cow college with a high school stadium dictate with which conference you are going to affiliate. Just doesn't make any sense to me...

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2011, 11:12 PM
sure, but am I wrong to think it's all texas' fault? somehow i think texas could have prevented this

Oh, probably so. My desire to see ****ty things happen to Aggie is not dependent upon any other factors. :D

I think the LHN has everything to do with this season's conference issues, and I blame them for last year's breakup.

Ultimately, it's about UT trying to get every possible advantage it can while having to share or be accountable to as few other programs as possible.

Ut won't be happy until it's independent.

ouwasp
8/10/2011, 11:12 PM
In the interest of full disclosure, I hope OU does the the pokes behind, and not play them non-conf either (unless they would guarantee, say, 17K tix @ Lewis Field)

OU not playing osu would remove their reason for existence! Is that a pro or con? ;)

Saban! Those bast*rds aren't dictating a thing to OU! I hope.The thing that stirs my bile is when any OU admin says we are joined with them at the hip. Why does that need to be? Why does OU need those pr!cks at all? Other than the W, of course.

Sooner Eclipse
8/10/2011, 11:19 PM
Ut won't be happy until it's independent.

Ironically, they won't be happy when their independent either. This won't end until we have 4 super confs & if * is indy at that point they will suffer tremendous scheduling pressures and the level of TV interest outside of BajaOK will be very low due to the unending level of fair to middle teams that will be scheduled. Outside of possibly (big if) keeping RRS intact, their SOS will suffer tremendously.

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 11:23 PM
I really and absolutely do NOT want to see OU go to the Pac-12. I think that would be nothing short of disastrous. How well is OU going to consistently travel that far west week after week?

In the most likely conference divisions, if some other central time zone teams go pac too, OU won't be traveling much more than they do now. Works for OU and whoever else goes too. I think it's best for OU if one or two Texas teams go too for recruiting reasons though but I think that's likely.

Baylor not so much. Sorry Sicem. I see them in C-USA in just about every scenario except where Tejas finds a way to keep some sort of Big 12 conference together.

MeMyself&Me
8/10/2011, 11:33 PM
I went to HS in Oklahoma back in the '80s with nothing but seemingly OSU fans(students AND teachers). They are the weirdest people I've ever been around in my life(including Auburn fans)....

That being said, I'd hate to think you guys, with one of the top 5 brands in all of college football, would in any way let that little wannabe cow college with a high school stadium dictate with which conference you are going to affiliate. Just doesn't make any sense to me...

Garsh, where was that! I grew up in OK around the same time and only knew ONE okiestate fan. The rest I met as an adult AFTER OU lost to them a few times in the 90s (which seemed to create a few OSU fans).

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2011, 11:34 PM
Gov. Cabana Boy confirms:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20110810-rick-perry-on-am-to-sec-rumors-conversations-are-being-had_.ece

Aggie Delenda Est

delhalew
8/10/2011, 11:42 PM

You could say it's our fault for giving Texas a home after they rotted their former conference from the inside out.

We should have foreseen that no one, including their little brother, has the fortitude to deal with Texas arrogance the way we do.

delhalew
8/10/2011, 11:47 PM
I only have one. A century of history. Give that as much weight as you please.

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2011, 11:51 PM
We should have foreseen that no one, including their little brother, has the fortitude to deal with Texas arrogance the way we do.

This is so true that it should be put on a plaque somewhere.

Reading the Baylor boards is just sad. Most seem to be deluding themselves into believing that if Aggie does leave that the Big XII can survive by bringing in some new schools. I simply don't see how on earth that's going to happen when you combine it with last season's departures. What schools are going to agree to enter a conference that is clearly crumbling?

If Aggie leaves then it's all over. Turn out the lights -- the party's over.

TahoeSOONER
8/10/2011, 11:54 PM
Why not lose ANOTHER rival? If we're forced to jump ship I hope the pokes are in the life raft with us.

delhalew
8/10/2011, 11:56 PM
This is so true that it should be put on a plaque somewhere.

Reading the Baylor boards is just sad. Most seem to be deluding themselves into believing that if Aggie does leave that the Big XII can survive by bringing in some new schools. I simply don't see how on earth that's going to happen when you combine it with last season's departures. What schools are going to agree to enter a conference that is clearly crumbling?

If Aggie leaves then it's all over. Turn out the lights -- the party's over.

When I hear a supposed journalist suggest we might get Houston and/or SMU I nearly **** myself.

We wouldn't even have TCU. Every time I here the big east commisioner busting with pride over the move, I want to call and inform him that Oklahoma has a bigger share of the DFW market than TCU.

delhalew
8/11/2011, 12:00 AM
Why not lose ANOTHER rival? If we're forced to jump ship I hope the pokes are in the life raft with us.

I'm big on tradition, even if that includes those inbred sheep****ers. I'm not willing to the Big Puccy conference over it though.

Keep a mid America Conference, or go to the SEC and I'll be happy.

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2011, 12:02 AM
When I hear a supposed journalist suggest we might get Houston and/or SMU I nearly **** myself.

We wouldn't even have TCU. Every time I here the big east commisioner busting with pride over the move, I want to call and inform him that Oklahoma has a bigger share of the DFW market than TCU.

Nobody in DFW gives two-****s about TCU.

It seems as if, and I may be wrong, OU has been working pretty hard as the little dutch boy with his finger on the dyke. However, if Aggies leaves, it's going to be everyone for themselves. OU is in a good position and its only real concern would seem to be what to do about OSU.

We, on the other hand, are being our typical selves. I'd like to think that Ian (our AD) has had an "exit strategy" ready to go since at least last year, but knowing the Baylor administration the way that I do makes that highly unlikely. We're going to be totally unprepared for this as if nobody saw it coming and then we're going to be scrambling to join a mid-major conference.

Anyway, I don't know what the actual numbers are for TCU, SMU, and Baylor games in the DFW market are, but I would assume that all 3 would have to combine in order to compete with UT/Aggie numbers.

delhalew
8/11/2011, 12:08 AM
Nobody in DFW gives two-****s about TCU.

It seems as if, and I may be wrong, OU has been working pretty hard as the little dutch boy with his finger on the dyke. However, if Aggies leaves, it's going to be everyone for themselves. OU is in a good position and its only real concern would seem to be what to do about OSU.

We, on the other hand, are being our typical selves. I'd like to think that Ian (our AD) has had an "exit strategy" ready to go since at least last year, but knowing the Baylor administration the way that I do makes that highly unlikely. We're going to be totally unprepared for this as if nobody saw it coming and then we're going to be scrambling to join a mid-major conference.

Anyway, I don't know what the actual numbers are for TCU, SMU, and Baylor games in the DFW market are, but I would assume that all 3 would have to combine in order to compete with UT/Aggie numbers.

I'd like to see Baylor weather the storm, but I just don't know how it could happen. I'm sure they could find another conference, but I don't think they would recruit as well. So performance would surely drop off in a mid-major.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/11/2011, 12:15 AM
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9233/kahn.gif

sooner59
8/11/2011, 12:17 AM
I'd be willing to bet that OU/TU/A&M has the biggest share of the DFW market and everyone else is small fries.

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2011, 12:18 AM
I'd be willing to bet that OU/TU/A&M has the biggest share of the DFW market and everyone else is small fries.

Yep.

sooneredaco
8/11/2011, 12:57 AM
No cons, only pros. Eff the effing b!tch a$$ aggies

ouflak
8/11/2011, 02:29 AM
If the inevitable does indeed come to pass and the Big XII has the fatal collapse... say OU can work a deal that does NOT include OSU.

There is no deal that *includes* OSU right now anyway. Why should that change?

They're big boys. They can take care of themselves.

ouflak
8/11/2011, 03:05 AM
OU is in a good position and its only real concern would seem to be what to do about OSU.

*shrug* There is nothing to do about OSU. Wave goodbye... maybe? Wish them luck in wherever they end up? That ought to do.

bigfatjerk
8/11/2011, 03:38 AM

It depends on how the divisions are done. If they are the 4 team divisions they are going to be traveling more. If it's 2 8 team division, it wouldn't be a bunch more than they travel some years in the Big 12 when they have say Nebraska and/or Missouri and/or Iowa State on the road. I don't think the SEC travel would really end up being much better outside of A&M and Arkansas.

The Big 12 ended when CU and Nebraska left and they didn't go after 2 teams right away. They could have easily enticed BYU and Notre Dame or Boise State or Utah or even TCU. But adding no teams ended up in the downfall of the conference.

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2011, 03:52 AM
It depends on how the divisions are done. If they are the 4 team divisions they are going to be traveling more. If it's 2 8 team division, it wouldn't be a bunch more than they travel some years in the Big 12 when they have say Nebraska and/or Missouri and/or Iowa State on the road. I don't think the SEC travel would really end up being much better outside of A&M and Arkansas.

The Big 12 ended when CU and Nebraska left and they didn't go after 2 teams right away. They could have easily enticed BYU and Notre Dame or Boise State or Utah or even TCU. But adding no teams ended up in the downfall of the conference.

I don't think Notre Dame would have accepted, but Boise, BYU, or TCU very well might have.

Is your preference for the Pac-12 or Big-10+2? Culturally, I would think OU would fit in with the Big-10 a bit better...

I was thinking tonight that the one thing that we really have going for us in any negotiations with other conferences is the fact that our President is Ken Starr and if there were ever anyone with a **** load of national contacts it would be him.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/11/2011, 04:00 AM
Maybe he can catch Deloss Dodds getting a blowjob from some ESPN exec and get him impeached!

SicEmBaylor
8/11/2011, 04:05 AM
Maybe he can catch Deloss Dodds getting a blowjob from some ESPN exec and get him impeached!

Only if ESPN has a mechanism by which a special prosecutor is to be appointed to investigate any potential unlawful acts by said ESPN exec and only if, in the course of said investigation, said ESPN executive lies under oath.

silverwheels
8/11/2011, 04:19 AM
huh?

We're definitely not on the level of their member institutions.

spanielboy
8/11/2011, 06:15 AM
Saban poster said these things on a post a couple of pages ago,

Take away:
Start off with #3 and #4. The Legislature just ended their special session, and the next time they will be headed back to Austin is January 2013, unless the governor decides to call a special session -- which is not going to happen because of his POTUS manueverings, as well as the Dallas Morning News article already stating he is aware of dialog between the SEC and A&M. The point is, the Legislature is not a roadblock at this time -- they can whine at right now, but the time they start back up, there are other concerns to deal with than what conference Baylor and Texas Tech ended up at.

In continuation, the thought is that A&M could sign the paperwork at the end of this month to enable this 2011 football campaign be the last in the Flyover Conference. The 2012 would then begin the SEC play, and by the time the Legislature gets back together in January, A&M would have already finished one season in the SEC.

The Aggies on the various internet boards are not very keen on the idea of bringing the other Flyover Conference programs to the SEC with them. The idea is one that it is a fresh start. That said, the fans desires do not always match-up with what the A&M administration folks want or do -- lots of the internet fans were quite mad last summer when the A&M administration decided to stay in Flyover Conference. So the use of "stabbing in the back" may indeed be a rush to judgment at this time.

There have been a number of rumors for the last month on a variety of Flyover Conference programs heading to the SEC. One was only A&M. Another was A&M with Missouri. A third rumor was one where A&M and Oklahoma were the only ones getting an invite. Yet another was A&M tied to Oklahoma, OSU, and I believe the fourth was Texas Tech (Time Brando tweeted this a few weeks back). My point is that the predictions have been all over the board and no one really knows how everything is going to shake out.

If the conference were to try to recover as Dan Beebe and Deloss Dodds wants it to if the Aggies were to head to the SEC, the various mouthpieces of the Texas athletic department seem to be crowing the same message now. Both Chip Brown and Kirk Bohls have commented that there is to be a push to find a replacement program to replace A&M -- even to the point that Arkansas and Notre Dame may be the replacement (though it is very doubtful). Could you imagine a league where two of the biggest egos (Texas and Notre Dame) are members?

hefley001
8/11/2011, 06:59 AM
As a Poke fan, I honestly don't care if our universities stay together. I want oSu to head to the PAC and get away from UT and how they run this conference, not with their athletics, but with the politics. If it wasn't for aTm having a sack we would all continue to eat a $hit sandwich.

Keller Sooner
8/11/2011, 07:09 AM
If I were an aggie fan, I wouldn't want my program tied to any other. Tulsa isn't and they do just fine. When you have big Boone picker you shouldn't need anyone else to hang on to.

MrJimBeam
8/11/2011, 07:30 AM
It wouldn't be good for the state of Oklahoma for one of it's two major university's to be in the same conference as UTEP. As strong landgrant college is important to Oklahoma. Boren isn't going to let it happen anyway. He's pals with Hargis and the other Aggies, they're coming with us. As it should be.

cleller
8/11/2011, 07:36 AM
OSU should just go off and join the All Patsy Conference with La Monroe, La Lafayette, La School of Gumbo, etc.

Joe Kidd
8/11/2011, 07:43 AM
The con is that OSU's fundraising on the academic side would take a hit. The endowment gap between OSU and OU is already fairly wide. If OSU were to go to a non-BCS conference that gap would widen. The state of Oklahoma generally and OU itself really aren't served by that.

The question is how much of a pro is not going with OSU? Neither school is a good fit for the Big 10. The Pac seems at least open to accepting both. The only one where is is clearly an advantage is the SEC, and I question how much the powers that be at OU really want to land there.

badger
8/11/2011, 07:55 AM
Thought: What if we tried to create a conference sans Texas and A&M with what's left of the Big 12 and those that are looking to move up in the world?

Maybe BYU?

Maybe Memphis?

A strong maybe on Notre Dame?

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 07:57 AM
little brothers are family and you never turn your back on family

soonervegas
8/11/2011, 08:09 AM
I personally like having OSU in conference. I would miss hearing "team on the rise"......

I want no part of this conference if A&M leaves. Actually, I don't want any part of this conference since Beebe let Nebraska and Colorado walk....

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 08:12 AM
i enjoy smacking them down year after year

badger
8/11/2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah... as much fun as it would be to hear their message board melting down over being abandoned, its far more fun hearing it after every loss, especially ones we hand em.

Let's not abandon our little sister school. Or if we do, help them find a good home.

jk the sooner fan
8/11/2011, 08:20 AM
i really believe that healthy rivalries - tradition, etc - make our program stronger

and yes, i realize many of you dont consider osu a rivalry - but the espn's of the world do and they are the ones with the TV cameras

SoonerBK
8/11/2011, 08:24 AM
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9233/kahn.gif

Well Played!

Seriously, is there another in state "rivalry" anyhwere that is more lop sided than the one we have going with the pokes?

badger
8/11/2011, 08:33 AM
If it hasn't been said enough, Baylor to Pac simply is not happening, because of... well, religion. The Pac has very liberal schools in it that want to stay free from religiously-tied schools and they aren't going to invite Baylor, no matter the Texas political pressure.

NormanPride
8/11/2011, 08:51 AM
Why the hell would anyone want Baylor other than for the Dr. Pepper?

Mac94
8/11/2011, 09:06 AM
I cannot picture ND abandoning their generational series with Michigan, Michigan St., Boston College, Purdue, Navy, Stanford, and USC to throw their lot in with a fragile Big-12 ... all while they've turned down a geographically logical Big-10 that is home to three of those rivals.

If Texas ends up indy I could see a partnership of sorts with Texas, ND, and BYU ... and maybe the serivce academies ... but thats about it.

King Crimson
8/11/2011, 09:12 AM
I cannot picture ND abandoning their generational series with Michigan, Michigan St., Boston College, Purdue, Navy, Stanford, and USC to throw their lot in with a fragile Big-12 ... all while they've turned down a geographically logical Big-10 that is home to three of those rivals.

If Texas ends up indy I could see a partnership of sorts with Texas, ND, and BYU ... and maybe the serivce academies ... but thats about it.

funny thing about indie scheduling if all that were to happen, is that after the 1st or 2nd week in October....all the indie teams would mostly round-robin each other making a de facto new conference....more or less. they can play whoever in September when other conf teams are playing OOC....but once conf play starts, the indies are left with each other for the most part, no?

badger
8/11/2011, 09:13 AM
Why the hell would anyone want Baylor other than for the Dr. Pepper?

They do have very good Dr. Pepper!

And I'd have to say there's some value in having a private, no-you-can't-see-our-records-because-they're-not-open school in the conference.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 09:19 AM
but once conf play starts, the indies are left with each other for the most part, no?

Notre Dame is safe ... they've done this for so long and have the games pretty well set already ... Army and Navy are fine too as they can easily schedule small schools ... they are not BCS players so strength of schedule do not matter to them. Texas and BYU are in different boats ... they would be new comers to the independence ranks and do not have those ties built up like Notre Dame. This has to be one of Texas' biggest worries ... as well as the stuatus of its non football programs .... could they fill out a 12 game schedule ... esp with the ill will that may exist between programs in the area? Or at least a 12 game schedule that makes them viable for the BCS. Playing OU, ND, BYU and and a collection of WAC and Sunbelt teams isnt gonna get them alot of national play or respect. And ... if the Big-12 goes under ... what happens to their non football programs ... would the power conferences want those programs sans football? Would Texas "lower themselve" to compete in ConferenceUSC or the WAC or MWC for other sports? Could they take all sports independent and survive?

King Crimson
8/11/2011, 09:21 AM
mac: who is that in your avatar? facemask and hip pads look to old to be leland mcelroy.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 09:32 AM
Rodney Thomas .... RB for A&M from 1991-94 .... favorite player of mine .... really good running back ... and great guy off the field.

He played with Leeland in 93 and 94.

MeMyself&Me
8/11/2011, 09:32 AM
They do have very good Dr. Pepper!

And I'd have to say there's some value in having a private, no-you-can't-see-our-records-because-they're-not-open school in the conference.

The problem is that all major conferences already have a private institution. Baylor still doesn't add anything.

King Crimson
8/11/2011, 09:39 AM
The problem is that all major conferences already have a private institution. Baylor still doesn't add anything.

not only that, 15 months ago when Ken Starr and Buddy made themselves the story about Baylor's great accomplishments on and off the field of sport by publicly going after Colorado in the media....made them look like idiots armed with questionable "facts". truth is, Colorado is one of the top 25 football programs of all-time....BU is not as bad as they have been in the last 15 years but no where near that. academically, they are about the same really.

if i'm a commish, i see that...and i think BU gives me little national prestige, accomplishment, and a lot of Fergie style drama about what they deserve.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 09:43 AM
Baylor will end up joining old SWC foes Rice, Houston, and SMU in conference USA .... at least thats my prediction ... and honestly ... that may not be a bad thing for them. Being paired with UofH, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP, and Tulane makes sense for the Bears ... there are old SWC ties ... it makes regional sense ... and would put the Bears in a leagure they can compete in.

OSUAggie
8/11/2011, 10:05 AM
It's mildly comical to read the collection of Mensa kids on here make proclamations of OSU and our pathetic football program. Statements like "they bring nothing", "dead weight", "what have they ever done for us", and other cute little jabs are loaded with ignorance. And that makes me weep for the paperclip crew. But only a bit.

If not for us, there would be no 2010 Big XII Championship trophy in your little Switzer Center. Nor would there be a 2008 Big XII Championship trophy. So ... you're welcome.

Never have I seen a group of people so disgruntled that they want to rid themselves over a seemingly-automatic victory at year's end over a top-10ish team. What the **** else do we need to do? We let you kick balls off of our head for victories. We let your refs call us for unsportsmanlike conduct after you throw us into our own wall. We drop passes in the end zone to let you keep your victory. We call timeout before halftime so you can complete a Cale Mary to get some momentum heading into the locker room. We let your 5'2" corner outjump our 6'6" TE so you can keep your national title. We miss our only FG of the year so you can go get embarrassed by USC in the nat'l title game. We purposely don't complete game-winning TD passes against you. We tip balls in the air to your TE for TDs and then flip your QB so he can win a trophy... hell, we even let him complete his QB sneak after he fumbles the ball. We purposely drop an interception and after we mistakenly run back a kick we let your TE outrun our corners for a TD so you can have your next trophy.

And that's just since '83. Think of all the favors we did before then. So **** you guys. We deserve to latch ourselves to your coattails.

NormanPride
8/11/2011, 10:10 AM
It's mildly comical to read the collection of Mensa kids on here make proclamations of OSU and our pathetic football program. Statements like "they bring nothing", "dead weight", "what have they ever done for us", and other cute little jabs are loaded with ignorance. And that makes me weep for the paperclip crew. But only a bit.

If not for us, there would be no 2010 Big XII Championship trophy in your little Switzer Center. Nor would there be a 2008 Big XII Championship trophy. So ... you're welcome.

Never have I seen a group of people so disgruntled that they want to rid themselves over a seemingly-automatic victory at year's end over a top-10ish team. What the **** else do we need to do? We let you kick balls off of our head for victories. We let your refs call us for unsportsmanlike conduct after you throw us into our own wall. We drop passes in the end zone to let you keep your victory. We call timeout before halftime so you can complete a Cale Mary to get some momentum heading into the locker room. We let your 5'2" corner outjump our 6'6" TE so you can keep your national title. We miss our only FG of the year so you can go get embarrassed by USC in the nat'l title game. We purposely don't complete game-winning TD passes against you. We tip balls in the air to your TE for TDs and then flip your QB so he can win a trophy... hell, we even let him complete his QB sneak after he fumbles the ball. We purposely drop an interception and after we mistakenly run back a kick we let your TE outrun our corners for a TD so you can have your next trophy.

And that's just since '83. Think of all the favors we did before then. So **** you guys. We deserve to latch ourselves to your coattails.
No. **** off.

MeMyself&Me
8/11/2011, 10:13 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA

I was about to go neg crazy on you but then it just got too funny. LOL

busynothings
8/11/2011, 10:21 AM
Here's the scenario I heard here in Fayetteville last night on a fairly reputable state-wide radio show: A&M. Oklahoma, OSU, & Missouri to the SEC. The Alabama schools would move to the SEC East with the new schools obviously being in the West along with Arkansas, LSU, and the Mississippi schools. Here's another thing: While they are ok with A&M coming over here to the dark side of things, they're more interested in Oklahoma, with its storied history and status. OSU and MO can come along for the ride because they are two of the stronger football schools in the conference and geographically speaking could make for some fun future rivalries.

This is just what is very much so making the radio waves here right now.

3rdgensooner
8/11/2011, 10:21 AM

This. is. precious.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/11/2011, 10:23 AM
Nor would there be a 2008 Big XII Championship trophy.

I don't get this one, but otherwise, heh.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 10:32 AM
While they are ok with A&M coming over here to the dark side of things, they're more interested in Oklahoma, with its storied history and status. OSU and MO can come along for the ride because they are two of the stronger football schools in the conference and geographically speaking could make for some fun future rivalries.

This is different from what I've heard .... the rumors have had A&M paired with Clemson or FSU in the east. The SEC wants A&M ... not because of out history or tradition or on the field prowess but in real estate terms ... location, location, location. We are a large Texas schools and open up the Texas TV markets and recruiting unlike any other school other than Texas. they wanted us in the early 1990's during the demise of the SWC ... wanted us last year, and do now.

That doesn't mean that they wouldnt want OU ... OU is a huge prize ... certainly vastly more storied in history than my Ags .... but they may not want oSu and I don;t know how tied the two Oklahoma schools are. But the desire for A&M is about our being a major University in Texas.

Anyway ... this will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

badger
8/11/2011, 10:36 AM

I am going to give you green for this precious, precious comment. This is so awesome. Aggie, never change. Never leave SF.com and don't stop! Believing! :stunned:

EDIT: My spekker pwns you all! He just went from red-orange to green-on-green! Yeah!!!!! Go aggie! Now... tell us more about how you've helped us beat you over the years :les: [hairGel] :eddie: :stunned:

busynothings
8/11/2011, 10:48 AM
This is different from what I've heard .... the rumors have had A&M paired with Clemson or FSU in the east. The SEC wants A&M ... not because of out history or tradition or on the field prowess but in real estate terms ... location, location, location. We are a large Texas schools and open up the Texas TV markets and recruiting unlike any other school other than Texas. they wanted us in the early 1990's during the demise of the SWC ... wanted us last year, and do now.

That doesn't mean that they wouldnt want OU ... OU is a huge prize ... certainly vastly more storied in history than my Ags .... but they may not want oSu and I don;t know how tied the two Oklahoma schools are. But the desire for A&M is about our being a major University in Texas.

Anyway ... this will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Well here, there's worry about A&M cutting into Arkansas' Texas recruiting, because Arkansas has the SEC card to pull and doesn't want A&M to have that "advantage." Of course, others think it would be ok as long as it screws Texas. I always thought we Sooners hated Texas, but most Hawgs still hate them even though they never play them.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting ... figured Arkansas would like it ... give them more a road into Texas .... its one reason they were so interested in the OOC series in Dallas ... to give them a game in Texas for recruiting purposes. Now ... A&M being THE Texas SEC team will be used by us as a recruting tool ... but LSU and Arkansas and the other SEC schools will hit Texas hard once the door opens.

And Arkansas HATES the Horns ... old SWC rivals and border state stuff .... and Texas is so easy to hate anyway, lol

PDXsooner
8/11/2011, 10:58 AM
If this happens, joining the Pac 12 is so much more appealing for so many reasons I can't count them.

But as for A&M, why are they so adamant about becoming a perpetual 6-6 team with a 3-5 conference record every year? And let's face it, that's exactly what A&M is in the SEC.

badger
8/11/2011, 11:02 AM
Can we all just agree that ESPN and TV networks in general screwed up big time and should get blamed? The SEC wouldn't be looking to expand now if they had a TV deal as good as the other conferneces, and A&M wouldn't be looking right now if ESPN hadn't done the Bevo Network, and the Big 12 television deal wasn't improved enough to keep everyone happy forever.

Uggggggggggh

GrapevineSooner
8/11/2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah, but Woods catching that pass in the south end zone in 2001 with about a minute left cancels all that out. ;)

MeMyself&Me
8/11/2011, 11:11 AM
If this happens, joining the Pac 12 is so much more appealing for so many reasons I can't count them.

But as for A&M, why are they so adamant about becoming a perpetual 6-6 team with a 3-5 conference record every year? And let's face it, that's exactly what A&M is in the SEC.

I think this would give aTm a recruiting edge over Texas that they never had before and will make aTm a better football team than they have traditionally been. Recruits that want to play in the SEC and play in the state of Texas would now have an option.

As far as SEC schools being able to recruit Texas better, it will work two ways and aTm will be able to recruit SEC territory better.

soonervegas
8/11/2011, 11:12 AM
and just think we could have been hosting Oregon this December for a right to play in the Rose Bowl or the national title game.....fml

Mac94
8/11/2011, 11:12 AM

Maybe ... maybe not. But there are alot of factors at play. First and foremost is shear stability. Most feel in time the era of superconferences will emerge ... and the buyers will be The Pac-12, Big-10, and the SEC. The Big-12 is not on that list. Does anyone doubt that the SEC will be around in ten yrs? Alot of people doubt that about the Big-12. So ... if the door is open ... we'd be crazy not to at least explore it. That door is not guaranteed to be there 5 or so yrs from now. We may have to go it for the long term viability of our athletic program.

Now ... how competitive would we be ... most likely we'd take our lumps big time. But ... if we are a pretty good team this year we'd at least be entering the conference on an upswing. The last two additions to the SEC came in very weak. Arkansas coming off of back to back SWC titles then fell to 3-8 and 6-6 their last two SWC seasons before limping into the SEC in 1992. It tootk Arkansas awhile but thay have become a solid football program again and have won the West several times. South Carolina went 6-5 and 3-6-2 before their first season in the SEC and really struggled until Lou Holtz's second season in 2000.

If A&M does well in 2011 and then enters the SEC in 2012 we'd at least have some momentum going in. Yeah, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama is tough ... really tough ... but over the past decade so has Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech .... add in Mizzou doing well as has Oklahoma st and Nebraska ... we've faced tought schedules here too. No ... outside of a few seasons here and there we have not done well .... and honestly ... thats probably the way it will be in the SEC .... we'll take out lumps, occasionally get a big win ... go to lower or mid level bowls, etc. But thats not any different than now AND we will solidify our future for the foreseeable future in all our programs. That does not exist in the Big-12.

OUMallen
8/11/2011, 11:15 AM
What kind of poons only join a conference if they can win?

soonervegas
8/11/2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe ... maybe not. But there are alot of factors at play. First and foremost is shear stability. Most feel in time the era of superconferences will emerge ... and the buyers will be The Pac-12, Big-10, and the SEC. The Big-12 is not on that list. Does anyone doubt that the SEC will be around in ten yrs? Alot of people doubt that about the Big-12. So ... if the door is open ... we'd be crazy not to at least explore it. That door is not guaranteed to be there 5 or so yrs from now. We may have to go it for the long term viability of our athletic program.

Now ... how competitive would we be ... most likely we'd take our lumps big time. But ... if we are a pretty good team this year we'd at least be entering the conference on an upswing. The last two additions to the SEC came in very weak. Arkansas coming off of back to back SWC titles then fell to 3-8 and 6-6 their last two SWC seasons before limping into the SEC in 1992. It tootk Arkansas awhile but thay have become a solid football program again and have won the West several times. South Carolina went 6-5 and 3-6-2 before their first season in the SEC and really struggled until Lou Holtz's second season in 2000.

If A&M does well in 2011 and then enters the SEC in 2012 we'd at least have some momentum going in. Yeah, LSU, Arkansas, Alabama is tough ... really tough ... but over the past decade so has Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech .... add in Mizzou doing well as has Oklahoma st and Nebraska ... we've faced tought schedules here too. No ... outside of a few seasons here and there we have not done well .... and honestly ... thats probably the way it will be in the SEC .... we'll take out lumps, occasionally get a big win ... go to lower or mid level bowls, etc. But thats not any different than now AND we will solidify our future for the foreseeable future in all our programs. That does not exist in the Big-12.

Truly a case of getting into the world of Porn (SEC gangbangs) to finally break free of your abusive boyfriend (Texas)....

Mac94
8/11/2011, 11:16 AM
I think this would give aTm a recruiting edge over Texas that they never had before and will make aTm a better football team than they have traditionally been. Recruits that want to play in the SEC and play in the state of Texas would now have an option.

that's our hope ... see how it plays out. Texas will always get kids ... We are hoping if this happens it will big us a whole new brand to sell kids.

PDXsooner
8/11/2011, 11:21 AM

Makes some sense.

Wishboned
8/11/2011, 11:23 AM
The last two additions to the SEC came in very weak. Arkansas coming off of back to back SWC titles then fell to 3-8 and 6-6 their last two SWC seasons before limping into the SEC in 1992. It tootk Arkansas awhile but thay have become a solid football program again and have won the West several times.

Arkansas has only won the West twice. Since they have joined the SEC they have only had two 10 win seasons, and three 9 win seasons. Compared to six losing seasons.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 11:30 AM
Arkansas has only won the West twice. Since they have joined the SEC they have only had two 10 win seasons, and three 9 win seasons. Compared to six losing seasons.

Actually they've won the west three times ... 95, 02, and 06.

Otherwise ... yeah .... but we're talkign Arkansas not Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St., Texas, USC, etc. Look at A&M in the Big-12 over the same stretch ... we've done worse in the Big-12 than they have in the SEC this past decade. That's out model .... Arkansas does not have any advantages over us .... we can at least match them with the right coaching and committment.

Wishboned
8/11/2011, 11:33 AM
Actually they've won the west three times ... 95, 02, and 06.

Otherwise ... yeah .... but we're talkign Arkansas not Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St., Texas, USC, etc. Look at A&M in the Big-12 over the same stretch ... we've done worse in the Big-12 than they have in the SEC this past decade. That's out model .... Arkansas does not have any advantages over us .... we can at least match them with the right coaching and committment.

Ooops...you're right. I missed one.

Mac94
8/11/2011, 11:36 AM
When Arkansas left the SWC for the SEC they went into the league struggling and had just cut ties with their prime recruiting areas. Texas recruiting became so much harder for them wiht them no longer tied to the state.

If this happens hpefully we will be entering in with some momentum and we will not be cutting off our historical recruiting areas ... really ... we used to recruit Louisianna alot more back in the day so it could be said that it strengthens our reach into an old stomping ground.

I'm not saying we'll go in an domiate ... but ... A&M has resources ... and the potential is there for us to be pretty darned good. Yes there is risk .. and in the short run it probably wont be pretty ... but for the long term for all our programs who knows what our ceiling is. We are in a talent rich state with a rabid fanbase and alot of resources in the premier conference in America ... so who knows what we'll be ten to 15 yrs from now.