PDA

View Full Version : End of the BIG XII - THREAD FOR ALL REALIGNMENT DISCUSSION

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Sco
9/22/2011, 12:51 PM
Assuming that the realignment is a no-go and we're stuck in this crapfest of a conference, we should look to shore up the north and add somebody like TCU to the south, taking them away from the Big East. I saw some combination of BYU, Boise, and TCU. Maybe AFA if not TCU due to their Big East obligations that they are now not very happy about, with BYU or AFA becoming the replacement for aTm in the south.

TCU is not happening. No Texas team is joining the conference. Texas doesn't want it, the other schools don't want it, and TCU offers nothing financially to the conference.

It's likely going to be BYU and a couple of Big East teams (if we go to 12).

Ugh. This conference is a joke.

JiminyChristmas
9/22/2011, 12:58 PM
Can we somehow archive this thread up thru say the latest development of the PAC saying no expansion? Or, just start a new realignment thread for post-no pac expansion talk? So much of the information here is outdated and wrong now.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 01:07 PM
TCU is not happening. No Texas team is joining the conference. Texas doesn't want it, the other schools don't want it, and TCU offers nothing financially to the conference.

It's likely going to be BYU and a couple of Big East teams (if we go to 12).

Ugh. This conference is a joke.

For now, the Zombie Conference is eating the faces of the rest of CFB.

JiminyChristmas
9/22/2011, 01:35 PM
No one is really talking about the idea of 20 team leagues. What little talk I have heard is that this is preferable to the 16 team league. Karl Benson, former WAC commissioner who has experience with a 16 team league is one that agrees with this. With that in mind, here is my dream result of all this mess:

SEC 20

2 - 10 team divisions - play each team in your division (9 games), then a conference championship game. Keep the normal 3 non-conference games.

West Division:
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss St
Missouri
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St

East Division:
Florida
South Carolina
Georgia
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Tennessee
Clemson
Florida St
Virginia Tech
Miami

This would solve geographic issues with the furthest trip from Norman being to Auburn. You could rotate the conference championship game between Jerry's World and the Georgia Dome. And, you can give Texas the finger and say have a nice life. I would not schedule Texas at all in this scenario. That relationship would be done.

We would then be in conference that would be pimped louder and stronger than anything ESPN could possibly do for Texass via the LHN.

I know there are still some SEC haters out there, but, don't just bitch and moan about it, give me a better solution than this one.

Sooner95
9/22/2011, 02:14 PM
I like this game, I'll play too..

The New BigXII

North

BYU
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas state
Missouri
West Virginia

South

Baylor
Louisville
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texass
Texas Tech

OR

East

Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Louisville
Missouri
West Virginia

West

Baylor
BYU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texass
Texas Tech

Sooner1972
9/22/2011, 03:47 PM
Why don't we just leave temporarily for the SEC or ACC (i.e. for a term contract of 3-5 years)? This would be the ultimate slap to Texass' face. Then they and their LHN can play the likes of Houston, Baylor, SMU, and North Texas all season long. Also, this would show the nation what a jackass that Texass and their decision makers really are, and have them humbled and begging for anybody to have anything to do with them.

I really wish that I could start a thread on this, as this would be the ultimate way to give Texass the humbling that they need for life.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 04:04 PM
Soonersports.com saying there will be a press conference at 6:30 with Pres Boren, Joe C and Bob Stoops live on Soonersports.com.

Also WV BoR meeting tonight for what that is worth.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 04:12 PM
On Twitter some are saying it is WV, Louisville, and Cincy. Basketball would get more interesting.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 04:15 PM
Soonersports.com saying there will be a press conference at 6:30 with Pres Boren, Joe C and Bob Stoops live on Soonersports.com.

Also WV BoR meeting tonight for what that is worth.

Well...that's odd.

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2011, 04:20 PM
Well...that's odd.
Mizzou is having one at 6pm as well.

It's odd that both schools would hold separate announcements at almost the exact same time. I don't know if this is a good or bad sign.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 04:21 PM
Soonersports.com which is the OU Twitter just posted that about the press conference.

WV part came from a tweet from an east coast sportswriter. I obviously do not know how twitter works as I never followed the guy from the east coast. I gave up trying to figure it out too!

NormanPride
9/22/2011, 04:25 PM
Just ****ing copy the NFL already.

Four 16 team divisions. Each division has four pods of four teams. Playoff at the end of the year.

ddub0224
9/22/2011, 04:32 PM
Guess texas will have one at 5:50 then.

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2011, 04:48 PM
http://www.koco.com/sports/29270488/detail.html#ixzz1YihXJtxH

OU is affirming its commitment to the Big XII.

NORMAN, Okla. -- A source with the University of Oklahoma tells SportsXtra's Daniel Holdge that school officials plan to support the Big 12 at a press conference Thursday night.
The University of Oklahoma athletics department scheduled a press conference for Thursday night. It will start at 6:30, and KOCO.com will livestream it.
University President David Boren, athletics director Joe Castiglione and head football coach Bob Stoops will attend.
The OU source told Holdge that Boren will tell reporters that the university wants to make it work with the Big 12 conference.

Read more: http://www.koco.com/sports/29270488/detail.html#ixzz1YijGHuvE

delhalew
9/22/2011, 04:54 PM
Seems weird to have a press conference for what we already know.

I guess it's a we are really really serious type thing meant to reassure prospective members.

SoonerNate
9/22/2011, 04:55 PM
Is this true or just a twitter rumor?

OUHOMER
9/22/2011, 04:57 PM
YES

:smug:

8timechamps
9/22/2011, 04:58 PM
Twitter Rumor = Tumor?

SoonerNate
9/22/2011, 04:58 PM
I just heard about this.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 05:00 PM
Soonersports.com is reporting and it will be carried live by them.

zandozan
9/22/2011, 05:03 PM
OU and Missouri are both having pressers at 6:30 and 6:45 respectively. Probably gonna be the 'we're glad to be in the big 12 and we're committed to making it work' bull****.

My wish would be the 8 remaining schools have a joint presser, and say they're stopping this Texas nonsense once and for all. It's time to end this go it alone crap and show some joint leadership.

SoonerNate
9/22/2011, 05:05 PM
OU and Missouri are both having pressers at 6:30 and 6:45 respectively. Probably gonna be the 'we're glad to be in the big 12 and we're committed to making it work' bull****.

My wish would be the 8 remaining schools have a joint presser, and say they're stopping this Texas nonsense once and for all. It's time to end this go it alone crap and show some joint leadership.

Agreed.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 05:07 PM
Funny thing. We were just talking about that in the realignment thread.

ouflak
9/22/2011, 05:11 PM
If it does indeed have to do with re-alignment, this likely will be merged at some point. It seems strange to re-iterate something that you've already re-iterated just recently (that you are committed to the Big XII blah, blah, blah...). Oh well.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 05:16 PM
If it does indeed have to do with re-alignment, this likely will be merged at some point. It seems strange to re-iterate something that you've already re-iterated just recently (that you are committed to the Big XII blah, blah, blah...). Oh well.
If they expect anyone to join this conference, be really need to sell that point. Prolly reiterate that the days of cowtowing to Texas are over.

SoonerNate
9/22/2011, 05:18 PM

If that is the case I apologize for duplicating. I did a rough search before posting but only in the thread titles.

limey_sooner
9/22/2011, 05:20 PM
Allegedly West Virginia is having a presser too. Could be interesting.

sperry
9/22/2011, 05:28 PM
Seems weird to have a press conference for what we already know.

I guess it's a we are really really serious type thing meant to reassure prospective members.

It's just a save face move. They have to come out and act like being stuck in a worse version of what we had before is what we were dying for all along. Getting approval to switch conferences and trotting out a list of demands that won't be met was just part of our master plan.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 05:32 PM
It's just a save face move. They have to come out and act like being stuck in a worse version of what we had before is what we were dying for all along. Getting approval to switch conferences and trotting out a list of demands that won't be met was just part of our master plan.
Pffft.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 06:32 PM
I sort of agree that finding out beforehand what everyone announces, during this entire process, is bothersome. Reminds me of the government and "carefully placed leaks"...see: Orangebloods.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 06:35 PM
Chair of the BoR is also scheduled to speak.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 06:37 PM
What if you gave a Press Conference and nobody came?

Apparently OSU has now scheduled one for 6:45...according to WWLS.

SoonerOX
9/22/2011, 06:40 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH....get on with it please

sooner KB
9/22/2011, 06:48 PM
Boren just mentioned "very strong handcuffs."

OUHOMER
9/22/2011, 06:51 PM
BIG 12 LIVES, ATLEAST FOR 6 YEARS

marfacowboy
9/22/2011, 06:54 PM
This is a good thing, folks. For all the reasons he's mentioned.

oumartin
9/22/2011, 06:57 PM
did they get rid of Dan Blow longhorn c@ck Bebee?

yankee
9/22/2011, 07:00 PM
Just started watching it as Stoops started speaking. What did Boren say? We're committed to the Big 12? Golly we look weak if that's the case, after throwing the Big 12 under the bus earlier.

Lott's Bandana
Yes...Chuckie starts next week.

OUHOMER
did they get rid of Dan Blow longhorn c@ck Bebee?

YES , HE'S GONE

dennis580
9/22/2011, 07:02 PM
#1. We need 12 teams
#2. Those teams need to be from outside the state of Texas.

Three of these five teams.

#1. BYU
#2. West Virginia
#3. Air Force
#4. Cincinatti
#5. Louisville

oumartin
9/22/2011, 07:02 PM
Well maybe theirs hope.. Are they gonna bring anyone in? team wise? I'll take the Mountaineers and horned frogs along with someone else

Soonerfan88
9/22/2011, 07:04 PM
I would have no problem with any of those five.

And everybody have a celebratory drink, Boob Beebe is gone!!!!!

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:06 PM
Interesting that the conference changes that were made alleviate in many ways, the reasons for aTm's departure.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 07:09 PM
Are we changing names since The Heartland was brought up so much? The Heartland Conference is sure better than the Big 12 or whatever number you want to throw out.

If it wasn't for Oregon and Washington travel, it would have worked but when you are talking some of the other sports, it would have to been a logistics nightmare.

49r
9/22/2011, 07:10 PM
#1. We need 12 teams

#1. BYU
#2. West Virginia
#3. Air Force
#4. Cincinatti
#5. Louisville

It's Cincinnati. Three "n's" and one "t".

It has a -nnati, like Cincinnati. Not -natti, like...um...Natti Light. :D

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2011, 07:10 PM
Great news out of Mizzou and OU tonight.

These Big XII reforms are fantastic and will truly strengthen the conference. I couldn't be more pleased.

oumartin
9/22/2011, 07:11 PM
it would be moronic to change the name of the conference. Lets just add some damn teams already and keep the automatic bcs bid

FtwTxSooner
9/22/2011, 07:12 PM
Beebe fired, Neinas hired, and 6 year handcuffs have been placed on all members. Any and all other issues will be discussed in a committee, including revenue sharing and LHN. Also, they agreed not to bring these issues up in public.

Really, nothing much.

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2011, 07:13 PM
Beebe is gone.

All remaining (9) schools have signed over their Tier I and Tier 2 media rights to the conference for the next 6 years (this is even better than the 5 year commitment I was hoping for).

The expansion committee is reactivated.

Great news all around.

oumartin
9/22/2011, 07:18 PM
can we cut the dead weight Baylor now? :D

delhalew
9/22/2011, 07:19 PM
Neinas is the big guns.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 07:19 PM
#1. We need 12 teams

#1. BYU
#2. West Virginia
#3. Air Force
#4. Cincinatti
#5. Louisville
The problem is adding 3 schools off of that list likely decreases value for the exisiting 9. I think the Big XII is probably best served by taking the strongest team off of your list they can get and stand pat at 9.

OU Adonis
9/22/2011, 07:20 PM
This is devastating news.

OU Adonis
9/22/2011, 07:21 PM
I guess OU can't renegotiate to get OUr balls back can we?

jkjsooner
9/22/2011, 07:22 PM
How do you have a six year commitment prior to resolving all issues. Seems to me this could easily break down.

marfacowboy
9/22/2011, 07:24 PM
Anyone that feels they have a better plan can write Dr. Boren and express their ideas....

[email protected]

Lott's Bandana
ESPN released a statement that none of this is their fault. That the LHN is not the reason for all this instability.

Many other media outlets calling them out for their hypocrisy and note that during the entire process, ESPN remained quiet and reported what others were saying, not doing any investigative reporting on their own.

delhalew
Any Big East School would be getting a pay raise. That should be easy, but they want 27 months to exit. Surely, that can be overcome.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 07:26 PM
Anyone who thinks this is all about money, and that staying in a viable Big 12 wasn't the #1 goal is an aggie

delhalew
9/22/2011, 07:28 PM
I'm glad we get to keep a conference in our neighborhood.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 07:32 PM
ESPN released a statement that none of this is their fault. That the LHN is not the reason for all this instability.

Many other media outlets calling them out for their hypocrisy and note that during the entire process, ESPN remained quiet and reported what others were saying, not doing any investigative reporting on their own.

The problem isn't the network or money, it's the sketchy, low brow moves being made so the they can "force" the network on tv providers, stuff that UT was aware of because it's in the contract. It's ESPN bribing ku for approval to move a game, etc.

sooner518
9/22/2011, 07:32 PM
Embarrassing....

FtwTxSooner
9/22/2011, 07:36 PM
I'd rather see issues resolved prior to the 6 year commitment.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 07:37 PM
Actually, the fact that ESPN released a statement regarding lhn not being at fault speaks volumes in regards to their culpability.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:39 PM

Embarrassing?

If you believe all the pontification and grandiose statements made on this board, and by the media over the past several weeks, and ignore the official statements released by the University during this time, then perhaps.

But the embarrassed parties should be all the tools that twittered and wrote columns about pods and posted that OU was gone and this was how the world was now going to be. There were no fewer than HUNDREDS of local and national columns and tweets announcing what was coming, and it was all wrong. Yet, the media spin will make it look different. Its coming and now ESPN has been freed up to start promoting their interest again without ramifications.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:41 PM
It bothers me that now they return to being able to continue their conflict-of-interest promotion of their own products, under the illusion of journalism and reporting.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 07:42 PM
I'd rather see issues resolved prior to the 6 year commitment.

I agree, I see no reason to agree to a 6 year commitment until some very specific issues are resolved.

UberSooner
9/22/2011, 07:42 PM
I don't understand all the hate for Boren. Many here assume that we are weak and he is an idiot, but based on what? We clearly wanted to be in the big 12, otherwise we would have bolted last year. We got rid of Beebe and brought whorns to the table on LHN issues. They flew up here to talk just a week ago. Boren is president of the U of O, not the general manager for the football program and there are a ton of issues that none of us are knowlegable enough to even speculate on. Has anyone done the numbers on dollar comparison costs for team travel across all the women's sports implicated by a move to the Pac. I haven't but I guarntee you Boren knows. All I know is that while I was at O.U. they were in danger of losing acredidation for their Law School. Since Boren's arrival its become a solid tier 2 school and the university endowments have sky rocketed. Give the guy some props. This deal is way bigger than football.

colleyvillesooner
9/22/2011, 07:44 PM
How do you have a six year commitment prior to resolving all issues. Seems to me this could easily break down.

Can't. All teams have given up rights to TV for 6 years. You can't leave

3rdgensooner

Link?

trwxxa
Any expansion will need to be to an odd number, such as 11. I heard nothing tonight that tells me Texas can't go independent in football before the next TV renewal. They will keep the rest of their teams in the Big whatever and get to keep some of the Tier 1/2 money. Any money they lose will be covered by any new independent TV agreement with ESPN.

It will be interesting to see some of the other "reforms" proposed. Perhaps schools like Baylor will have to generate a minimum amount of revenue on their own or maintain a certain TV rating when their games are carried.

SoonerNate
9/22/2011, 07:46 PM
I don't understand all the hate for Boren. Many here assume that we are weak and he is an idiot, but based on what? We clearly wanted to be in the big 12, otherwise we would have bolted last year. We got rid of Beebe and brought whorns to the table on LHN issues. They flew up here to talk just a week ago. Boren is president of the U of O, not the general manager for the football program and there are a ton of issues that none of us are knowlegable enough to even speculate on. Has anyone done the numbers on dollar comparison costs for team travel across all the women's sports implicated by a move to the Pac. I haven't but I guarntee you Boren knows. All I know is that while I was at O.U. they were in danger of losing acredidation for their Law School. Since Boren's arrival its become a solid tier 2 school and the university endowments have sky rocketed. Give the guy some props. This deal is way bigger than football.

Aside from making us looking like complete fools?

Boren has a lot of explaining to do.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:47 PM
Link?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/espn-dont-blame-us-for-sweeping-college-football-realignment/1

sooneredaco
9/22/2011, 07:48 PM
In Boren We Trust! At least I do. He's given me no reason to feel otherwise. The University of Oklahoma is as strong as it's even been on many levels. Especially in the one that's relevant in this thread FOOTBALL!

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:52 PM
Aside from making us looking like complete fools?

Boren has a lot of explaining to do.

He just explained it.

You got played by a media for three weeks that no longer reports facts, only speculates based on "sources", and now YOU feel foolish. We're the ones that have posted over 2000 times about all this.

Boren always wanted the BigXII to stay together, never said otherwise, however...he also realized there needed to be a place to land if need be. Once the BigXII started looking like it could survive and be more stable, he and Larry Scott determined that moving was no longer an option, especially if whorn was not going to follow the PAC model.

That's it. In a nutshell.

BigTip
9/22/2011, 07:53 PM
We clearly said to Texass we don't need your dyin' ***, so shape up.

I don't think there is egg on our face at all. I think we have strengthened the OU name if all this latest stuff plays out.

3rdgensooner
9/22/2011, 07:54 PM
Thank you!

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, oddly enough, I imagine the conference could now decide to not allow individual tv networks

Vegas Sooner
9/22/2011, 07:55 PM
Louisville, TCU, and Air Force?????

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:56 PM
Hmmm, oddly enough, I imagine the conference could now decide to not allow individual tv networks

They could, but Boren said a few minutes ago that he expects OU to be the second university with its own network.

dennis580
9/22/2011, 07:57 PM
The problem is adding 3 schools off of that list likely decreases value for the exisiting 9. I think the Big XII is probably best served by taking the strongest team off of your list they can get and stand pat at 9.

Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC all have championship games we NEED a championship game.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 07:57 PM
I'd love Air Force. One of the best away games I have ever attended.

Now that CU is gone, it would be nice to get to the mountains again to see a game.

cleller
9/22/2011, 08:12 PM
At every turn Texas has screwed this conference and its schools over. Lets swap them for Nebbish.

Sooner98
9/22/2011, 08:15 PM
THE BIG 12 LIVES ON!!!

http://accidentalsexiness.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/anchorman.gif

Sooner1972
9/22/2011, 08:16 PM
Orangebloods and baylorfans are having a field day with this, claiming that they made OU handcuff ourselves. This absolutely sucks, and if Boren isn't incompetent, then he certainly is a bad PR man in all of this. JMHO

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 08:18 PM
Orangebloods and baylorfans are having a field day with this, claiming that they made OU handcuff ourselves. This absolutely sucks, and if Boren isn't incompetent, then he certainly is a bad PR man in all of this. JMHO

When did you start caring about what whorn thinks? And, I'm not going to even mention your other reference.

Sooner1972
9/22/2011, 08:19 PM
Congrats to Texass (they now get to control the conference some more while they wait to go independent). Congrats to Baylor as well I guess. This sucks.

8timechamps
9/22/2011, 08:22 PM
READ Lott's post!

This has always been a media driven episode. If you look at the statements (official statements) released by the university, you'll see that 99% of this crap was based on speculation be people with "sources" and all of us message board folks. Nobody ever really knew what was going on behind the scenes EXCEPT those directly involved.

I don't feel like a fool, because Boren and the university never said or did anything to make me feel that way.

Thinking that Boren or OU made us look stupid is like thinking that Bill Gates made you look stupid because you fell for some internet get rich quick scheme.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 08:23 PM
Congrats to Texass (they now get to control the conference some more while they wait to go independent). Congrats to Baylor as well I guess. This sucks.

I get the Baylor comment, but whorn does NOT look good in all this. If you believe the reports, they were turned down by two conferences and have caused 2 (and 1) universities to leave.

Step back and separate your emotions and you'll see. David L. Boren clearly stated, and then got, what he wanted all along.

btb916
I think I'll go watch OU's highlights from the game last Saturday. Thanks, HolaKyle, for giving me an escape from this madness that is conference realignment...

SoonerMom2
Very well said! The media drove this the whole time quoting anonymous sources at OU.

I was thinking tonight that if we get WVA, then the former OSU Coordinator gets to play OSU! Made me chuckle.

sooneredaco
9/22/2011, 08:26 PM
Sooner in 1972, take your 16 posts and enjoy all the BS on those other worthless boards if you really feel that way.

PLaw
9/22/2011, 08:26 PM
This is a good thing, folks. For all the reasons he's mentioned.

I'm on a plane and didn't get to hear the presser.

Big whoop if Beebe is gone - Deloss is still in Austin.

What has * given up?

I'll catch up later tonight, but this 6 year committment to hitch the Schooner behind Bevo's butt doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Wish we had showed this backbone last year before ancient partners Nebbish and CU bolted from the the burn orange haze.

Weren't we all in for this unequal revenue sharing and TV network carp? Now, we say we want equal footing for all? What am I missing?

BOOMER

Prodigal
9/22/2011, 08:27 PM

This is the real reason so many are upset. A huge number of fans' opinions were based on emotion and when they believed things would happen a certain way they started getting arrogant. Now they don't like it that they look foolish and they need someone to blame.

The administration and coaches made decisions not based on emotions but based on the school's and programs prorities.

Soonerfan88
9/22/2011, 08:27 PM
Any expansion will need to be to an odd number, such as 11. I heard nothing tonight that tells me Texas can't go independent in football before the next TV renewal. They will keep the rest of their teams in the Big whatever and get to keep some of the Tier 1/2 money. Any money they lose will be covered by any new independent TV agreement with ESPN.

It will be interesting to see some of the other "reforms" proposed. Perhaps schools like Baylor will have to generate a minimum amount of revenue on their own or maintain a certain TV rating when their games are carried.

No, even if * or any team leave as independents or to another conference their Tier 1/2 rights still belong to the Big 12. No matter what money they make from those games, the Big 12 gets it all and not the school or their new conference. It's like selling your land but retaining the mineral rights - the new guy gets the house and land but you get all the $$ from the oil in the ground.

And they can't just decide to go independent in football only, the rest of the conference would have to agree to allow the minor sports to stay. I don't see that happening.

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 08:28 PM
Very well said! Everyone needs to keep in mind if we get WVA that OSU's former offensive coordinator will be playing OSU as the head coach of WVA. As I said on another thread -- that makes me chuckle.

In a lot of ways I wanted to go to the PAC 12 because they had a Commissioner who would keep UT in check. Now with Beebe gone, I want a Commissioner who understands that Dodds does not run the Big 12 or UT. The other schools need to stick together like they have in the past on rule changes to make sure TX doesn't get their way.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 08:34 PM

What has * given up?

I'll catch up later tonight, but this 6 year committment to hitch the Schooner behind Bevo's butt doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Wish we had showed this backbone last year before ancient partners Nebbish and CU bolted from the the burn orange haze.

Weren't we all in for this unequal revenue sharing and TV network carp? Now, we say we want equal footing for all? What am I missing?

BOOMER

I'll try.

Boren made it very clear he wanted to stay in a stable BigXII Conference, but spoke with PAC in case there needed to be a landing place if the conference crumbled.

Chuck Neinas takes over as "interim" commissioner next week.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV revenues are likely going to be equalized throughout the conference and Boren admitted OU would be giving up $$$ in this arrangement. He stated that it was worth it to keep conference together.

No revenue changes re: LHN

OU's network coming very soon.

Committee re-organized to explore new membership.

aTm was in meeting and voted.

6-year rights agreement basically locks all members in until after TV rights are renegotiated.

While Boren seems to understand the animosity towards Austin from the fan's perspective, as well as the other schools that departed, he stated that nobody will be "driving the boat" and that each member moving forward will be equal.

I think that covered most of it.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/22/2011, 08:35 PM
If that is the case I apologize for duplicating. I did a rough search before posting but only in the thread titles.

dont apologize....swear people on this board get so uptight about topics that are talked about in more than one spot. Nobody with job/family/life has time to read every page of every a thread to make sure you havent stepped on another thread.

PLaw
9/22/2011, 08:35 PM

ESPiN and the TLN/LHN are the sole reasons for this mess which prompted TAMU to call BS. Props and a Gig 'em to Aggieland for having the kahunas to do something about it.

BOOMER

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 08:36 PM
Pac 12, Big Ten, SEC, and ACC all have championship games we NEED a championship game.
Big Ten and Pac-12 did fine for years without one. Are you so enthralled with the notion of a championship game that you'd be willing to sacrifice revenue to get it? I doubt most of the remaining 9 schools are.

PLaw
9/22/2011, 08:37 PM
Very well said! Everyone needs to keep in mind if we get WVA that OSU's former offensive coordinator will be playing OSU as the head coach of WVA. As I said on another thread -- that makes me chuckle.

In a lot of ways I wanted to go to the PAC 12 because they had a Commissioner who would keep UT in check. Now with Beebe gone, I want a Commissioner who understands that Dodds does not run the Big 12 or UT. The other schools need to stick together like they have in the past on rule changes to make sure TX doesn't get their way.

Big whoop with Beebe being gone - Deloss is still in Austin and the next guy will be his puppet, too.

BOOMER

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 08:39 PM
Keeping AQ status without a CCG is better for OU, if not the KSU's of the world. We don't need it, especially after beating ND, tOSU, Tennessee, TCU and LSU over the next decade.

PLaw
9/22/2011, 08:39 PM
I came up with a perfect analogy.

Texass is the beautiful trophy wife that in reality is a high maintenance bitch. Men think they want to be with her, but when they actually are, they can't wait to get out of the relationship.

^^^ WINNAH ^^^

BOOMER

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 08:40 PM
Big whoop with Beebe being gone - Deloss is still in Austin and the next guy will be his puppet, too.

BOOMER

PLaw, Chuck Neinas got Deloss his job in Austin after working for him. Until the next guy is hired, Deloss ain't pushing Chuckie around.

PLaw
9/22/2011, 08:43 PM
I'll try.

Boren made it very clear he wanted to stay in a stable BigXII Conference, but spoke with PAC in case there needed to be a landing place if the conference crumbled.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV revenues are likely going to be equalized throughout the conference and Boren admitted OU would be giving up $$$ in this arrangement. He stated that it was worth it to keep conference together.

6-year rights agreement basically locks all members in until after TV rights are renegotiated.

While Boren seems to understand the animosity towards Austin from the fan's perspective, as well as the other schools that departed, he stated that nobody will be "driving the boat" and that each member moving forward will be equal.

Gracias, mi amigo, for the recap.

So - are TAMU and MU staying or have they pulled up stakes and headed East?

BOOMER

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 08:44 PM
Someone said that the new interim Commissioner also helped with the hire of Joe C and Bob Stoops. At least he knows the TX AD and what he is capable of doing. I want him to help pick the permanent Commissioner without any input from DeLoss who seems to be much more of a problem at UT than the President. Maybe they will decide that DeLoss needs to spend more time with his family and have Mack Brown as the new AD next year. :)

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 08:46 PM
Love the ESPN halftime -- Beebe and the Big 12 reached agreement and he is out effective immediately. Then talked about twice in a year that the conference almost collasped -- the second time ESPN needs to look in the mirror!

Soonerus
9/22/2011, 08:46 PM
Great job Boren and OU....

SoonerMom2
9/22/2011, 08:51 PM
MO is staying for sure! Don't have a clue about A&M

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 08:52 PM
I noticed that ESPN release totally side stepped the reasons the lhn is a problem

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 08:56 PM

If you're worried about what Baylor and horn fans think, go **** yourself.

trwxxa
9/22/2011, 08:57 PM
No, even if * or any team leave as independents or to another conference their Tier 1/2 rights still belong to the Big 12. No matter what money they make from those games, the Big 12 gets it all and not the school or their new conference. It's like selling your land but retaining the mineral rights - the new guy gets the house and land but you get all the $$ from the oil in the ground.

And they can't just decide to go independent in football only, the rest of the conference would have to agree to allow the minor sports to stay. I don't see that happening.

I guess I don't understand the 6 year grant of rights. I was thinking the 6 years was a set time that would end in 2017. This would give Texas and ESPN the time it needed to get the LHN close to profitable. Close enough that Texas could let the conference keep its Tier 1/2 money without breaking a sweat. If it is a perpetual 6 year grant, that changes things.

I still see Texas causing problems down the road. Probably around the time of the next TV deal.

Keller Sooner
9/22/2011, 08:59 PM

There is noone handcuffed yet. I don't think anything will be signed until all schools issues have been addressed and they are comfortable with the conference moving forward. Texas isn't driving this train any longer and any other school will be either. They're all equal members.

LASooner
9/22/2011, 09:00 PM
Last time this all happened, OU stayed quiet and looked at worst that they were walking behind Texas every move at best seemed like they were above all the in fighting, this time OU took more of a lead, talked more openly about leaving, talked about not playing Texas and we didn't need them to go anywhere and when it all fell through acted like this what we always wanted. It's like when a guy asks out a girl and she says "no" and the guy says "she's probably a lesbian anyway." to justify his position as a loser.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 09:01 PM
Gracias, mi amigo, for the recap.

So - are TAMU and MU staying or have they pulled up stakes and headed East?

BOOMER

TAMU is likely gone.

MU is staying. In fact, it appears that OU and Misery have developed a bit of an alliance in all this. Boren and Misery's chancellor have been pretty tight the past few weeks.

aggy tagging along, as usual.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 09:02 PM

What has * given up?

BOOMER

The equal revenue sharing helps out the lower level conference members and helps elevate their footing with regards to Texas. It helps make them less likely to be swayed by a lhn bribe and makes everyone equal partners in the success of the conference.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 09:03 PM
Last time this all happened, OU stayed quiet and looked at worst that they were walking behind Texas every move at best seemed like they were above all the in fighting, this time OU took more of a lead, talked more openly about leaving, talked about not playing Texas and we didn't need them to go anywhere and when it all fell through acted like this what we always wanted. It's like when a guy asks out a girl and she says "no" and the guy says "she's probably a lesbian anyway." to justify his position as a loser.

Perhaps. IF you believe OU's priority was to leave. I don't think it was, as they claim.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 09:04 PM
The equal revenue sharing helps out the lower level conference members and helps elevate their footing with regards to Texas. It helps make them less likely to be swayed by a lhn bribe and makes everyone equal partners in the success of the conference.

AND, they won't forget Boren giving them life support in the form of stability and more $$$. The Senator won't forget.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 09:06 PM
Someone said that the new interim Commissioner also helped with the hire of Joe C and Bob Stoops. At least he knows the TX AD and what he is capable of doing. I want him to help pick the permanent Commissioner without any input from DeLoss who seems to be much more of a problem at UT than the President. Maybe they will decide that DeLoss needs to spend more time with his family and have Mack Brown as the new AD next year. :)

Deloss used to work for Chuck. He helped him get his job in Austin.

Chuck will be instrumental in deciding who to bring into the conference, as well as who the next Commish is. Never forget, Chuck was Commissioner of the Big 8, not the SWC.

Neath a Western Sky
9/22/2011, 09:07 PM
I'll try.

So what about the LHN showing high school football highlights' programs? I would imagine those could run into the hours in length or frequency if they have them.

8timechamps
9/22/2011, 09:07 PM
The people that are ACTUALLY in positions of power know exactly why this conference was on the brink of extinction. If anything, Boren will be respected for what he has done, and that won't soon be forgotten.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/22/2011, 09:10 PM

Boren did a great job playing the hand he had AT THAT TIME. The hand is over. Dodds looks good...TODAY. This poker game is an allnighter. IF whorns, and especially their teet-sucking little bears are gloating already...the are like the jackass who starts pelvic thrusting at 10:30 when the sharks are figuring out his "tells".

This isnt over by a longshot. And believe me, Deloss Dodds isnt gloating (although he's been a tiny bit cocky in interviews today) Ken Starr isnt gloating (he's just happy as heck Baylor has a home).....its the jackwagons on Orangebloods who didnt even attend UT who are gloating.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 09:11 PM
Another Chuck factoid:

Chuck Neinas left the Big 8 to become the Commissioner of the CFA. If you don't know this, back in the day, OU and Georgia sued the NCAA and won. The suit was to release schools from the NCAA restrictions at the time that only allowed teams to be on national TV twice a year during the regular season. This was when the NCAA stopped receiving revenues from D-1 football, which continues today.

OU/Georgia won the suit and Chuck led the CFA which negotiated all new TV contracts and this structure is what led to the football heavy sports scheduling we have today. Otherwise, OU would probably still only be on TV twice this year.

Which game would you pick? Exactly...imagine what it was like back in the '70s when we couldn't see a lot of these great matchups. Every year we got to see on ABC: OU/TX and OU/Neb.

FtwTxSooner
9/22/2011, 09:14 PM
If any high school content is aired on LHN, then this whole episode has been an epic failure.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 09:15 PM

Except, what is now obvious also, is that while we deal with Texas, they can't go anywhere because no one wants to deal with their arrogance and the lhn problem. They are not in a position to go independent, and I don't think any major conference except would take their non-football sports.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 09:16 PM
So what about the LHN showing high school football highlights' programs? I would imagine those could run into the hours in length or frequency if they have them.

Somebody joked during the presser about OU's Network showing HS games.

Boren's eyes flashed and he shot that down immediately. Muffled, nervous laughter.

LASooner
9/22/2011, 09:26 PM
Perhaps. IF you believe OU's priority was to leave. I don't think it was, as they claim.

It doesn't matter what I believe it has everything to do with perception, and that's the perception. Personally I believe they were going to leave based on something erroneously assured to them by the Pac-12 Commissioner and the Pac-12 members weren't on board with what he promised and now OU is back tracking. I don't feel like I'm alone in this assessment.

Rocker
9/22/2011, 09:26 PM
Another Chuck factoid:

Chuck Neinas left the Big 8 to become the Commissioner of the CFA. If you don't know this, back in the day, OU and Georgia sued the NCAA and won. The suit was to release schools from the NCAA restrictions at the time that only allowed teams to be on national TV twice a year during the regular season. This was when the NCAA stopped receiving revenues from D-1 football, which continues today.

OU/Georgia won the suit and Chuck led the CFA which negotiated all new TV contracts and this structure is what led to the football heavy sports scheduling we have today. Otherwise, OU would probably still only be on TV twice this year.

Which game would you pick? Exactly...imagine what it was like back in the '70s when we couldn't see a lot of these great matchups. Every year we got to see on ABC: OU/TX and OU/Neb.

From wikipedia:

Subsequent developmentsAs a direct result of this ruling, College Football grew as a major television sports entity through the 1980's and the boom continues today. In 2009-2010 the University of Texas reported profits of almost $69 million just from football. Most of this money was earned in television contracts before UT added it's own Longhorn Network which will add approximately $30 million in revenue during the 2011-2012 season. The major conferences have begun re-shuffling, and the landscape of college football has changed significantly. Individual universities, their associated athletic conferences, and the individual bowl games continue to increase their revenue streams from television. As the profits for the Universities and their Athletics Departments have grown, the sense of exploitation of the amateur athlete has also grown. Between 2009 and 2012, six of the major football programs (University of Southern California, University of Miami, the Ohio State University, North Carolina University, Auburn University, and the University of Oregon) have been under investigation and/or sanctioned for players accepting inappropriate benefits. This has led to the first ever vacated national championship (USC, 2004) and could lead to other vacated championships pending current investigations (Miami-2001, Auburn, 2010)

your welcome texas

Plexis22
9/22/2011, 09:28 PM
TAMU is likely gone.

MU is staying. In fact, it appears that OU and Misery have developed a bit of an alliance in all this. Boren and Misery's chancellor have been pretty tight the past few weeks.

aggy tagging along, as usual.

Any way to force A&M to stay? Having A&M would keep this joke of a conference somewhat respectable. Sorry but potentially adding BYU and Cincinnati doesn't excite me, neither does playing K-State, Baylor and Iowa State. I was hoping to get rid of those...

BASSooner
9/22/2011, 09:50 PM
Funny thing is...this is not over. Missouri can still try to destroy this whole thing.

My mind is ready to explode and create a time warp continuum.

Tear Down This Wall
9/22/2011, 09:55 PM
It doesn't matter what I believe it has everything to do with perception, and that's the perception. Personally I believe they were going to leave based on something erroneously assured to them by the Pac-12 Commissioner and the Pac-12 members weren't on board with what he promised and now OU is back tracking. I don't feel like I'm alone in this assessment.

You're not alone in that assessment. And, although you and I disagreed about which conference we thought OU should go to, I think it's pretty clear that what happened over the last 48 hours is that Boren got his *** handed to him. Then, like any bottom-feeding politician, he cowed to the inevitable position of loss and tried to spin it to his favor.

It's been disgusting to watch. Thankfully, there's a football game this weekend. It would suck to be stewing in this defeat during the offseason with nothing happening for weeks on end.

Even though Texas can't get their sh*t together on the field enough to win as many conference titles as we have, they run complete circles around our president and athletic director off the field. It's an embarassment. Especially when you live down here in DFW with the UT and Baylor jackasses.

We could have escaped it all if Boren and Castiglione had even one testicle worth of manhood between them. Look at Texas...their damn AD is running the show. Ours is hiding behind the skirt of a has-been politician. Awful.

...and making Bob Stoops sit up there with them. Sickening. Bob didn't make that damn mess. Boren did by running off with the mouth three weeks ago. Castiglione had to have been in on it as well. Otherwise, Bob wouldn't get up in front of the press and pop off about the OU-Texas game the way he did.

No damn way Bob says those things if he didn't believe they were true. He's football coach, not some damn snake in the grass politician like Boren. Boren and Castiglione pumped him full of crap. Then, when the Pac-12 kicks their d*cks in the dirt, they make him sit up there on stage with them during their "Big 12 is alright after all" dog and pony show.

Phonies. Leave Bob out of your bullsh*t. He's the only one who's doing his job right these days.

Rocker
9/22/2011, 09:56 PM
Funny thing is...this is not over. Missouri can still try to destroy this whole thing.

Please explain what Missouri can do I have missed that.

Soonerfan88
9/22/2011, 09:56 PM
I guess I don't understand the 6 year grant of rights. I was thinking the 6 years was a set time that would end in 2017. This would give Texas and ESPN the time it needed to get the LHN close to profitable. Close enough that Texas could let the conference keep its Tier 1/2 money without breaking a sweat. If it is a perpetual 6 year grant, that changes things.

I still see Texas causing problems down the road. Probably around the time of the next TV deal.

You are correct that the grant of rights is only for six years, ending in 2017. However, your original post said Texas could leave before the next TV contract, which is 2016 for ESPN/ABC and 2025 for FOX which is why I disagreed with you. I'm pretty sure the six years was chosen as a good compromise to give all teams, and the rest of college football, some stability while still exploring future options. IMO, the superconferences of either 16 or 20 teams will happen but with a little more thought and organization than the mad scramble we might have seen this fall.

BASSooner
9/22/2011, 10:03 PM
Their press conference. They said that ALL options are still on the table.

and also:

@PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel
After a confusing night, this much is clear. Missouri hasn't signed their rights away, and the door remains ajar for them to go to the SEC.

Soonerfan88
9/22/2011, 10:03 PM
The conference already ruled in August against any high school content (not just games, but content which includes highlights) for a year and will then revisit. They set the one year cap because the NCAA had not yet made any rulings. Now that it's been outlawed by the NCAA, I expect the Big 12 to make it a permanent bylaw just to emphasize the point to the thickheaded ones in Austin and Bristol.

Landthief 1972
9/22/2011, 10:11 PM
#1. We need 12 teams

#1. BYU
#2. West Virginia
#3. Air Force
#4. Cincinatti
#5. Louisville

WV seems like a good fit...not pretentious, they play tough ball. Cincinnati's O fits in with the Big XII, same with Louisville. Air Force would suck, because you have to prep for an offense you won't see for the rest of the year, assuming you don't play GT in a bowl game. BYU is a scheduling nightmare.

SoonerinSouthlake
9/22/2011, 10:25 PM
WOW!!!!! COULDNT DISAGREE MORE WITH THIS

You're not alone in that assessment. And, although you and I disagreed about which conference we thought OU should go to, I think it's pretty clear that what happened over the last 48 hours is that Boren got his *** handed to him. Then, like any bottom-feeding politician, he cowed to the inevitable position of loss and tried to spin it to his favor.
TODAY IT APPEAR WHORN HAS GAINED THE UPPER HAND...THAT CERTAINLY WASNT THE CASE 72 HOURS AGO. IT MAY NOT BE THE CASE 72 HOURS FROM NOW, NEXT WEEK OR NEXT SUMMER....HE HAS A GOOD TRACK RECORD AS A POLITICIAN...AND WASNT A BOTTOM FEEDER BY ANY STRETCH. THATS JUST STUPID

It's been disgusting to watch. Thankfully, there's a football game this weekend. It would suck to be stewing in this defeat during the offseason with nothing happening for weeks on end.

Even though Texas can't get their sh*t together on the field enough to win as many conference titles as we have, they run complete circles around our president and athletic director off the field. It's an embarassment. Especially when you live down here in DFW with the UT and Baylor jackasses. TEXAS HAS HAD A FULL HOUSE SLID ACROSS THE TABLE TO THEM WHILE EVERYONE ELSE HAS TO START WITH A PAIR OF 2'S. THIS WAS AND STILL IS ABOUT THE WHORNS HAVING ALL THE CARDS IN THIS GAME....NO ONE OTHER THAT THE AGGIES, BY LEAVING AND DAVID BOREN HAS TRIED TO MAKE MOVES TO STAND UP TO THEM .....AGAIN...TODAY, AND ONLY TODAY, IT APPEARS WHORNS HAVE REGAINED THE UPPER HAND...THIS THING CHANGES EVERY 24 HOURS .. I LIVE IN THE DFW AREA AND I CAN SAY WITH COMPELTE CONFIDENCE THAT DAVID BOREN HAS DONE MORE WITH NO AMMO THAN DELOSS DODDS DID WITH AN ARMY....AND WHO CARES WHAT THE BAYLOR BEARS SAY (SORRY SICEM)

We could have escaped it all if Boren and Castiglione had even one testicle worth of manhood between them. Look at Texas...their damn AD is running the show. Ours is hiding behind the skirt of a has-been politician. Awful. REALLY??...PAY ATTENTION TO THE FACTS...THE TEXAS AD HAS BEEN RUNNING THE SHOW FOR 20 YEARS...OUR PRESIDENT AND AD HAD THE ALL POWERFUL WHORNS FLYING TO NORMAN BEGGING US TO STAY IN THE B12. THIS LATEST ROUND OF MOVES SHOWS NOTHING BUT BRASS ONES...YOU COMPLAIN NOW CAUSE IT DIDNT END UP THE WAY WE WANTED....WOW YOUR HINDSIGHT 20/20 IS AWESOME

...and making Bob Stoops sit up there with them. Sickening. Bob didn't make that damn mess. Boren did by running off with the mouth three weeks ago. Castiglione had to have been in on it as well. Otherwise, Bob wouldn't get up in front of the press and pop off about the OU-Texas game the way he did. BOB STOOPS IS A STAND UP GUY...AND HE WILL BE THE FIRST TO TELL YOU THAT HE HAS ULTIMATE RESPECT FOR OUR AD AND PRES.

No damn way Bob says those things if he didn't believe they were true. He's football coach, not some damn snake in the grass politician like Boren. Boren and Castiglione pumped him full of crap. Then, when the Pac-12 kicks their d*cks in the dirt, they make him sit up there on stage with them during their "Big 12 is alright after all" dog and pony show.

Phonies. Leave Bob out of your bullsh*t. He's the only one who's doing his job right these days BOB STOOPS HAS FULL CONFIDENCE IN DAVID BOREN AND JOE C... IVE HEARD HIM SAY IT IN PUBLIC AND IN PRIVATE FORUMS...... AND SO DO MOST OF THE STRAIGHT THINKING OU FANS,,,,READ THE THREADS FROM 3 DAYS AGO IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME. IF BOB DIDNT BELIEVE IN THEM, HE WOULDVE LEFT FOR AN OTHER JOB 5 YEARS AGO.

UberSooner
9/22/2011, 10:31 PM
Then, like any bottom-feeding politician, he cowed to the inevitable position of loss and tried to spin it to his favor

Pure jackassery. You don't know jack. admit that you know absolutely nothing about what has transpired and then we can talk. You know only what the media has spun. He may be an idiot, he may be, or he may be a genious. We won't know for quite some time if ever. All this makes us look like so many believe we are, Sooner football is OU. It's not. Not by a long shot. I love OU football and come here because i'm a fan, but this crap is embarrasing. Not Boren, some of the fans attitudes. **** the whorns and everybody else. Sooners foerever. Period.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 10:32 PM
The SEC still needs another team. 13 doesn't make much sense for an extended period of time. So long as no one has signed the 6 year rights agreement yet, Missouri could still hypothetically walk away. That said I don't see them doing it.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 10:36 PM

Even though Texas can't get their sh*t together on the field enough to win as many conference titles as we have, they run complete circles around our president and athletic director off the field. It's an embarassment. Especially when you live down here in DFW with the UT and Baylor jackasses.

We could have escaped it all if Boren and Castiglione had even one testicle worth of manhood between them. Look at Texas...their damn AD is running the show. Ours is hiding behind the skirt of a has-been politician. Awful.

...and making Bob Stoops sit up there with them. Sickening. Bob didn't make that damn mess. Boren did by running off with the mouth three weeks ago. Castiglione had to have been in on it as well. Otherwise, Bob wouldn't get up in front of the press and pop off about the OU-Texas game the way he did.

Phonies. Leave Bob out of your bullsh*t. He's the only one who's doing his job right these days.

Twisted. I know you're not mad that Boren and Joe C put together a contingency plan. So you're upset about the public statements that got whorns to the table? When Bob made the RRS comment, most of said it was a masterful piece of bargaining. It was also true. The world would keep turning without whorn.

Whorn needed to be reigned in. Thanks to us and Misery, they have been.

Are you really gonna miss the nut grasping Aggies that much? I won't.

8timechamps
9/22/2011, 10:36 PM

About the only thing I agree with is that Stoops shouldn't have had anything to do with any of this.

Let me ask you, what would you have done if you had been in Boren's place? As far as Castiglione, I have to admit, I don't know much about the guy, but I know he is responsible for Stoops being at Oklahoma (and staying here), that buys a ton of credibility in my book.

Who says OU looks bad? ESPN? Other fans? Who cares? I've never once given a **** what other fans have to say about OU, and I'm not starting now. As far as ESPN goes, I gave up on them a long time ago. I only watch them because they carry the sports I follow, but I don't give a **** what they think either.

This will blow over, or it won't...in the end, OU will land on it's feet because of Boren and Castiglione, not in spite of them.

If you are really this upset, then Texas accomplished what they intended to do...deflect the blame (where it really belongs). Me, I just don't give a **** what anyone else thinks. I know what OU is about, and I know where we're going on the field.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 10:38 PM
There's some ****in **** stains in this thread. UT has no bargaining power as no one wants to deal with them. Larry Scott said just that much, texass only cares about Texas. He issued the warning that as while they might be the hawt wife, only a 20something fragmag wants to put up with them at then end of the day.

GottaHavePride
9/22/2011, 10:43 PM
Boren incompetent and a bottom feeder? The former Governor, Senator, and head of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence? Still on the President's Intelligence Advisory Board AND the Board of Directors for American Airlines?

Yeah, that guy must be a moron. :rolleyes:

delhalew
9/22/2011, 10:46 PM
There's some ****in **** stains in this thread. UT has no bargaining power as no one wants to deal with them. Larry Scott said just that much, texass only cares about Texas. He issued the warning that as while they might be the hawt wife, only a 20something fragmag wants to put up with them at then end of the day.

I hope some of our fans will get their heads on straight, and realize what a coup we just pulled.

I was ready to bolt because I didn't think what Boren and Joe C just did was even possible. I'm impressed.

BigTip
9/22/2011, 10:48 PM
At every turn Texas has screwed this conference and its schools over. Lets swap them for Nebbish.

All this makes me think we maybe should have taken their bitchin' more seriously. Drawn the line in the sand back then.

FaninAma
9/22/2011, 10:50 PM
If this is a done deal Boren is a genius. If Texas is locked in for 6 years they suddenly lose their leverage to push the rest of the conference programs around. Now they are just another vote and if the rest of the conference votes to restrict what the LHN is allowed to show the horns can't do a damn*ed thing about it.

So either Boren schooled Deloss or this is not a done deal.

delhalew
9/22/2011, 10:55 PM
If this is a done deal Boren is a genius. If Texas is locked in for 6 years they suddenly lose their leverage to push the rest of the conference programs around. Now they are just another vote and if the rest of the conference votes to restrict what the LHN is allowed to show the horns can't do a damn*ed thing about it.

The details need to be finalized before anyone signs. This was put together in mere days.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 11:02 PM

I don't know about that... The Big 12 has already voted to authorize the LHN. There is no going back from that now for 14 years. If anything Texas has more leverage in this now than before. If everyone signs onto the six year agreement, Texas is now assured a home for the next 6 years.

Octavian
9/22/2011, 11:06 PM
No, FanIn is right.

If Boren said we're all-in and Texas says no, there goes their "We love the Big 12 like a child molester loves the day care center" routine.

If they say yes, they're trapped. And just one vote of many.

FaninAma
9/22/2011, 11:16 PM
I don't know about that... The Big 12 has already voted to authorize the LHN. There is no going back from that now for 14 years. If anything Texas has more leverage in this now than before. If everyone signs onto the six year agreement, Texas is now assured a home for the next 6 years.

Compensation for tier1 rights> tier2 rights > tier 3 rights. The LHN is all about tier 3 rights. With Texas locked in and the conference controlling tier 1 and tier 2 rights I have no problem with Texas selling their tier 2 rights to ESPN and IMG for 300 million dollars over adecade or more. That figure may look small by the time the end of the contract rolls around and in the meantime the conference owns their @$$........at least for 6 years.

Either Texas signs or they prove what a bunch if frauds they are.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 11:21 PM
Compensation for tier1 rights> tier2 rights > tier 3 rights. The LHN is all about tier 3 rights. With Texas locked in and the conference controlling tier 1 and tier 2 rights I have no problem with Texas selling their tier 2 rights to ESPN and IMG for 300 million dollars over adecade or more. That figure may look small by the time the end of the contract rolls around and in the meantime the conference owns their @$$........at least for 6 years.

Either Texas signs or they prove what a bunch if frauds they are.
They'll sign that 6 year deal and they'll love it. This is exactly what Texas wanted. If everyone signs on, Texas has 1) a stable home for 6 years 2) ensures they get to keep the LHN. That is a huge win for Texas. Texas loses no leverage at all. The fact that everyone else is suddenly committed to the league for the next 6 years gives Texas more leverage if anything.

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 11:22 PM

Either everybody signs or they prove what a bunch if frauds they are.

We're all equal now, right?

Lott's Bandana
9/22/2011, 11:24 PM
I keep smiling when I think about that little BigXII store at Will Rogers.

Saved again.

King Barry's Back
You got played by a media for three weeks that no longer reports facts, only speculates based on "sources", and now YOU feel foolish.

Who got played? As I see it, and i live in Germany so I may have missed some developments, the story broke like this:

"Sources" indicated that OU had made PAC membership it's number one goal, that we were going to pursue that, and leave the Big XII in the dust. Some of this was public. Bob Stoops even said OU could lose the RRS and seemed to not care.

A lot of this came from TX sources. A bunch of university owned aircraft flew around between Big XII cities and potential Big XII cities, and one day, a bunch of TX bigwigs flew into Norman to talk to us.

(When was the last time TXans came to OU to talk?)

TX sources said that OU didn't want to stay in the Big XII anymore because of instability.

In the end, TX gave up some concessions, and we didn't leave.

If you believe Boren's current spin, that's all because we bluffing about leaving, that we really wanted to stay all along, but needed to scare TX to get them to bargain in good faith.

That leads me to this conclusion:

OU lied like a rug. The PAC commissioner was in on the lie, for some reason. OU privately lied like two rugs directly to TX. And I also believe that when you read an unnamed but "high level Oklahoma source," that's Boren himself.

So if all this is true, it wasn't US FANS that got played by the press, it was TX that got played. The press got used and we just along for the ride.

What I do not understand is why we had to go through this sharade (sp?) to get Beebee dumped. If we didn't like him, we only had to get four other schools to vote against keeping him. TX only has one vote, at the end of the day.

I am disappointed that we are not heading to greener pastures, but deep in my hear I am still a Big 8 guy. I really miss Nebraska, somewhat miss Colorado, and don't care about A&M.

But if this new deal can work, so be it.

sooneredaco
It blows my mind how Internet University Presidents and Athletic Directors on this forum! Sure wish they would have been handling all of this!

FaninAma
9/22/2011, 11:30 PM
They'll sign that 6 year deal and they'll love it. This is exactly what Texas wanted. If everyone signs on, Texas has 1) a stable home for 6 years 2) ensures they get to keep the LHN. That is a huge win for Texas. Texas loses no leverage at all. The fact that everyone else is suddenly committed to the league for the next 6 years gives Texas more leverage if anything.

They have lost the leverage of leaving the conference with 6 years of tier 1 and 2 television rights intact. If you feel that means they haven't lost any leverage then so be it.

So tell me. What willTexas do if they get out-voted on conference issues including the content that is allowed on school-owned networks?

King Barry's Back
9/22/2011, 11:30 PM
dont apologize....swear people on this board get so uptight about topics that are talked about in more than one spot. Nobody with job/family/life has time to read every page of every a thread to make sure you havent stepped on another thread.

THANK YOU!! We need much more of this attitude on this board.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 11:33 PM
They have lost the leverage of leaving the conference with 6 years of tier 1 and 2 television rights intact. If you feel that meabs they haven't lost any leverage then so be it.

So tell me. What willTexas do if they get out-voted on conference issues including the content that is allowed on scool-owned networks?
They don't want to leave the conference though. Why would they? They have a situation where they get a conference distribution check plus $15 million on the side! Those guys had the most to gain of anyone short of Baylor, ISU, and KSU by keeping this thing together.

They might get outvoted on the content allowed on school networks, but Texas is set for the next 14 years. You can't retroactively go back and tell them they can't have their network after you already voted to allow them to have it. The best you can hope for is to shut it down in 14 years if this conference is still around then...

SicEmBaylor
9/22/2011, 11:33 PM
You are correct that the grant of rights is only for six years, ending in 2017. However, your original post said Texas could leave before the next TV contract, which is 2016 for ESPN/ABC and 2025 for FOX which is why I disagreed with you. I'm pretty sure the six years was chosen as a good compromise to give all teams, and the rest of college football, some stability while still exploring future options. IMO, the superconferences of either 16 or 20 teams will happen but with a little more thought and organization than the mad scramble we might have seen this fall.

The TV contract ends in 5 years -- the commitment deal is for 6. Meaning, the Big XII schools will have to sign a new TV contract before the commitment deal expires. Essentially, this stabilizes the conference for a very long time unless the new TV deal is only for 1-year.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 11:38 PM
The TV contract ends in 5 years -- the commitment deal is for 6. Meaning, the Big XII schools will have to sign a new TV contract before the commitment deal expires. Essentially, this stabilizes the conference for a very long time unless the new TV deal is only for 1-year.
Not really. It stabilizes the conference for 6 years. A team could still walk away from the new television contract in year 1. See Nebraska or Colorado walking away in the middle of a television deal. The fact the rights would be retained for by the conference for a 6 year period essentially cuts teams off from leaving for six years and only 6 years. The overlapping the deal by +1 years from the end of the ABC deal is to get more money from that deal. See ABC Fox or whoever bids on that package, "we still have all 9 teams."

delhalew
9/22/2011, 11:47 PM
They don't want to leave the conference though. Why would they? They have a situation where they get a conference distribution check plus $15 million on the side! Those guys had the most to gain of anyone short of Baylor, ISU, and KSU by keeping this thing together.

They might get outvoted on the content allowed on school networks, but Texas is set for the next 14 years. You can't retroactively go back and tell them they can't have their network after you already voted to allow them to have it. The best you can hope for is to shut it down in 14 years if this conference is still around then...

Why shut it down? We voted for school networks. If we have the leverage to make them adhere to reasonable guidelines, let them have BevoTV.

soonerboomer93
9/22/2011, 11:48 PM
I have no doubt that Boren and Scott were in communication just to be open about their Texas problem. OU may have been upfront about using the PAC as leverage, and Scott may have been upfront about no OU without UT and sharing on tier 3 rights.

UT has made their stand on LHN public and any conference that wants them has to deal with that.

Remember "no matter how hot she is, somebody is sick of her ****"

prrriiide
9/22/2011, 11:52 PM
You can't retroactively go back and tell them they can't have their network after you already voted to allow them to have it.

You can if they try to air content that wasn't part of the originally negotiated agreement. That's called bargaining in bad faith and will void any agreement in existence before you can say Tier 3. That's been a big driving issue in this whole thing. When the conference agreed to tLHN, there wasn't any mention of HS content or conference games. Just OOC games and other texass athletics content. When the HS and conference ideas came out, the rest of the league felt (rightfully so) that they had been sandbagged all along by texass and ESPiN. TRUST. texass hasn't even tried to look like they are engendering it.

Mr. Nuke
9/22/2011, 11:55 PM
You can if they try to air content that wasn't part of the originally negotiated agreement. That's called bargaining in bad faith and will void any agreement in existence before you can say Tier 3. That's been a big driving issue in this whole thing. When the conference agreed to tLHN, there wasn't any mention of HS content or conference games. Just OOC games and other texass athletics content. When the HS and conference ideas came out, the rest of the league felt (rightfully so) that they had been sandbagged all along by texass and ESPiN. TRUST. texass hasn't even tried to look like they are engendering it.
If ESPN is cutting a separate deal with FSN who the conference already sold the rights to (and in said sale said FSN can do whatever they want with the rights) it isn't a LHN issue anymore. It is an issue between the conference and it's media partners that needs to be addressed. I agree that the 2nd game is an issue and it should've been addressed by the conference immediately after it became known that this was ESPN's and Texas' intention, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Even if you "fix" it going forward, Texas is still guaranteed an average of $15 million a year for the next 14 years from ESPN regardless if they deliver the 2nd game or not.

King Barry's Back
9/23/2011, 12:04 AM
deleted

King Barry's Back
9/23/2011, 12:09 AM
You can't retroactively go back and tell them they can't have their network after you already voted to allow them to have it. The best you can hope for is to shut it down in 14 years if this conference is still around then...

Something just occured to me while reading your post.

1. Why not? The conference could in fact do just that. Maybe there would be a financial cost, but if TX can't leave for six years, then we could de-authorize the LHN and TX would be stuck.

2. Assuming reports that TX withheld information about its deal w/ ESPN are true, other conference members could sue them for fraud. That would be a lot of fun!

Mr. Nuke
9/23/2011, 12:12 AM
Something just occured to me while reading your post.

1. Why not? The conference could in fact do just that. Maybe there would be a financial cost, but if TX can't leave for six years, then we could de-authorize the LHN and TX would be stuck.

2. Assuming reports that TX withheld information about its deal w/ ESPN are true, other conference members could sue them for fraud. That would be a lot of fun!
1. The conference already authorized 3rd tier individual networks. Texas went out and signed a deal. The best that could be hoped for is to not allow a LHN to be continued after the current deal expires.

2. Ultimately you'd likely have to sue ESPN and Fox your two media partners as they are the two parties that allowed the extra game and or high school stuff to happen. Not a great way to maintain a business relationship with the hand that is feeding you.

soonerboomer93
9/23/2011, 12:19 AM
This is not about third tier rights, or on OU/UT fight this is an OU/ESPN fight over certain programming being aired on lhn via ESPN transferring first tier right and ignoring/using possible loopholes in conference and NCAA loopholes.

FYI 'I'll be negging some if you **** stains tomorrow.

Statalyzer
9/23/2011, 12:26 AM
soonerboomer, OU will never ever be affected by that. This game will never fall to 3rd tier or be switched to 3rd tier no matter what, unless both OU and TX want this to happen and stand to gain from it (which is pretty unlikely).

AlboSooner
9/23/2011, 12:30 AM

Huh? Texas doesn't want to leave the Big 12. Texas can go anywhere they want. I don't know the details of the deals, but the fact is that Pac made OU look really bad.

The press conference was a sad attempt to show that Boren is in charge and he got what he wanted, and that he doesn't have massive egg of his face. Nobody who is not wearing crimson glasses is buying it.

I actually prefer the JC method of being quiet, no rah rah comments, no celebrating Pac move without invitation. What was the purpose of Stoops being there?
Sometime it's best to take the blow, swallow the pride, and destroy your enemy next time, mercilessly. The only way to do that it to go to SEC, and play aTm in Jerry World every October, rather than Texas.

Mr. Nuke
9/23/2011, 12:39 AM
Huh? Texas doesn't want to leave the Big 12. Texas can go anywhere they want. I don't know the details of the deals, but the fact is that Pac made OU look really bad.
I don't think Texas can go anywhere they want and that is becoming more apparent. The LHN is a pretty big albatross around the neck when trying to shop themselves. Pac-12 won't take them nor while the Big Ten. They don't appear to be interested in the SEC. Again though, that doesn't necessarily mean they've lost leverage within the Big XII, because it is becoming apparent that no one else right now has much better options either other than potentially Missouri (who doesn't appear to want to exercise it if they do have the SEC invite).

AlboSooner
9/23/2011, 12:39 AM
Their press conference. They said that ALL options are still on the table.

and also:

@PeteThamelNYT Pete Thamel
After a confusing night, this much is clear. Missouri hasn't signed their rights away, and the door remains ajar for them to go to the SEC.

Boren said it was a done deal. Either Thamel is lying, or Boren is lying.

AlboSooner
9/23/2011, 12:49 AM
They can drop the LHN if they wanted and go anywhere. Texas was just trying to eat their cake and have it too, when dealing with the Pac. It's not an albatross when you have ESPN writing you and $300 million check.

Why can't you guys see it? Boren was rejected yesterday by PAC, and today he is giving a press conference. Guess who did not give a press conference? The people who did not feel insecure about their perception. Texas.

They let OU get embarrassed, and let OU do all the heavy lifting today.

It takes a huuuuuge amount of faith and blindness to spin this as OU went through the trouble of being rejected by Pac to save Big 12. They could have done what they did today, two months ago.

Mr. Nuke
9/23/2011, 12:49 AM
Boren said it was a done deal. Either Thamel is lying, or Boren is lying.
Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Boren mentioned getting off the President's teleconference about 15 minutes before the OU PC. If an agreement in principle was reached on the teleconference, but no legally binding documents signed, all parties are "technically" correct.

kcboom
9/23/2011, 12:51 AM
Reports here in Kansas City is that Mizzou is still looking at all options including the SEC.

AlboSooner
9/23/2011, 12:53 AM
Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Boren mentioned getting off the President's teleconference about 15 minutes before the OU PC. If an agreement in principle was reached on the teleconference, but no legally binding documents signed, all parties are "technically" correct.

Boren should know too well right about now that agreements in principle mean nothing and can embarrass you nationally.

I used to think the world of Boren. The only technicality that doesn't get you embarrassed is when ink is placed on the paper, and only after that is done should you say anything.

AlboSooner
9/23/2011, 12:54 AM
Reports here in Kansas City is that Mizzou is still looking at all options including the SEC.

but but Boren had a press conference...

prrriiide
9/23/2011, 12:57 AM
Not really. It stabilizes the conference for 6 years. A team could still walk away from the new television contract in year 1. See Nebraska or Colorado walking away in the middle of a television deal. The fact the rights would be retained for by the conference for a 6 year period essentially cuts teams off from leaving for six years and only 6 years. The overlapping the deal by +1 years from the end of the ABC deal is to get more money from that deal. See ABC Fox or whoever bids on that package, "we still have all 9 teams."

After the fiascos of the last two years, do you think any network in their right mind would pick up the BigXII rights for more than 1 year without an extension of those grants? The networks will pay for those rights and pay for them dearly. But only if the grants are extended. If they aren't, then you will see a nosedive in the value of the conference TV deal.

OU_Sooners75
9/23/2011, 01:18 AM

Please provide me one link that shows the University of Oklahoma was officially looking to move conferences.

Sure they opened their options and did a feel around to see where they could possibly land. Think of it as a college underclassman thinking about going pro, but not sure what round they would go in. So they ask the league for an official evaluation and get an idea of where they could be drafted.

No much difference in what OU did in all of this!

NEVER has OU said they are looking to leave the conference!

Some of you need to pull your heads out of your asses and try to actually understand what was happening!

sooner KB
9/23/2011, 01:21 AM

Why would the SEC take Mizzou if they have given up their media rights for the next 6 years?

kcboom
9/23/2011, 01:29 AM
Why would the SEC take Mizzou if they have given up their media rights for the next 6 years?

Show me the SIGNED contact that says anyone committed their media rights for six years.

SoonerMom2
9/23/2011, 01:30 AM
Picked up my daughter at the airport tonight and was listening to Fox Sports on the radio. They ripped TX a new one along with the LHN -- then they ripped Beebe for favoring TX over everyone else -- they went on and on and said if President Boren had not stood up with the fact that OU might move that Beebe would still have been Commissioner. They said the interim Commissioner will put up with no nonsense out of TX. They laid the blame squarely on UT and Beebe for trying to break up the conference two summers in a row. Called them greedy and arrogant with the LHN. TX has the biggest black eye of all. Both guys thought that there should be a conference in the middle part of the Country.

SoonerMom2
9/23/2011, 01:31 AM
One thing I have learned in all of this is that the media doesn't have a clue what is happening.

kcboom
9/23/2011, 01:34 AM
One thing I have learned in all of this is that the media doesn't have a clue what is happening.

Dewey defeats Truman.

OU_Sooners75
9/23/2011, 01:38 AM
1. The conference already authorized 3rd tier individual networks. Texas went out and signed a deal. The best that could be hoped for is to not allow a LHN to be continued after the current deal expires.

2. Ultimately you'd likely have to sue ESPN and Fox your two media partners as they are the two parties that allowed the extra game and or high school stuff to happen. Not a great way to maintain a business relationship with the hand that is feeding you.

1. BS! If Texas did business in bad faith, then it is called fraud. Then not only did Texas hide things from the other members of the conference about their TLN, but they also could be facing federal court charges for fraud! Yes, if this was fraud, then the Big 12, can reneg on their agreement and start over.

2. No we wouldnt. the NCAA has ruled already, that no high school content can go on any conference or individual networks.

Also, think of it this way. Since ESPN decided to give Texass 300 Million dollars, they just became a booster of Texas. Meaning they must also abide by NCAA rules when it comes to recruits. That is until the NCAA decides to add a bylaw in favor of Texas.

SoonerMom2
9/23/2011, 01:39 AM
Some things have not changed since 1948 either -- the media is still trying to beat each other and still getting it wrong.

Octavian
9/23/2011, 03:05 AM

If it's only a 1-year deal, will you sue everyone?

SoonerinSouthlake
9/23/2011, 03:39 AM
Also, think of it this way. Since ESPN decided to give Texass 300 Million dollars, they just became a booster of Texas. Meaning they must also abide by NCAA rules when it comes to recruits.

I'll believe THAT one when I see

Sooner_Tuf
9/23/2011, 06:37 AM
I don't know about you guys but I have been in business for enough years to know when someone just kicked someone else in the junk. Boren looks a little like Chuck Norris right now. I think he did a really good job. If you're embarrassed I don't know what to tell you other then your goals are obviously different than OU's goals. OU did pretty good here, good for themselves, and good for the conference. It's too bad this couldn't have happened before the defections but OU comes out of this looking powerful and Texas looks a little whinier and a little greedier.

Last night everyone was wide eyed that Boren was demanding Beebe get replaced and wondering what he is smoking thinking he has that kind of power. Today by god it looks like he might just have the stroke he claimed to have Beebe is walking away with no fight.

I'll say it again it doesn't matter if you like David Boren or not don't underestimate the man. He's connected and he gets things done. I for one can't think of anyone better to lead us through all of this. This is baby stuff to him compared to a lot of the other things he has dealt with in his career. Congrats to OU for having David Boren in this trying time.

Maybe with a little luck he can get A&M to stay after all.

mojohornfan
9/23/2011, 06:48 AM
Picked up my daughter at the airport tonight and was listening to Fox Sports on the radio. They ripped TX a new one along with the LHN -- then they ripped Beebe for favoring TX over everyone else -- they went on and on and said if President Boren had not stood up with the fact that OU might move that Beebe would still have been Commissioner. They said the interim Commissioner will put up with no nonsense out of TX. They laid the blame squarely on UT and Beebe for trying to break up the conference two summers in a row. Called them greedy and arrogant with the LHN. TX has the biggest black eye of all. Both guys thought that there should be a conference in the middle part of the Country.

Local fox sports radio show I take it?????

LMAO

And then you post this.....

Funny stuff I tell ya.

MeMyself&Me
9/23/2011, 07:20 AM
First, since they were on tele-conference, I can't imagine anything binding being signed yet by anyone. They just agreed that is what they are going to do. Mizzou chancellor danced around the commitment thing during his presser which indicates he's still looking at options. However, I think we have to assume they're staying. That said, I wouldn't sign anything binding until Mizzou did.

Now for the bigger picture. While we didn't get what most of us wanted out of this (another conference), we're not as bad off and beholden to Texas as many of you seem to think. Before 1 month ago, the 'have nots' were too scared to vote for things that Texas didn't want for fear Texas would leave. What we, and all the other schools in the Big 12, learned is that Texas can't go anywhere with LHN hanging around their neck. In fact, if you believe that OU said no instead of the Pac, it's OU that has options. I get the feeling from the presser that OU is rounding up the rest of the Big 12 to force some reforms on Texas that Texas doesn't want. They having done anything to LHN yet but they will. They're looking at what should be done to limit it.

As far as the conference itself, it's not as bad as some of you are making it out to be. Most of the 'bad' is perception based on 3 schools leaving but not from actual performance.

MeMyself&Me
9/23/2011, 07:25 AM
As for what the signing of 6 year rights does, I think that kills super conferences for a long long time. Or at least, ensures that the Big 12 will be one of them. No one is going to leave the Big 12 with that kind of a condition and they'll just extend it when they sign their next Tier 1 TV deal before the commitment of rights runs out. And with the Big 12 locked down, that makes it near impossible for the Pac to expand and difficult for the SEC and Big 10 to expand. ACC may be the only 16 team conference.

FaninAma
9/23/2011, 07:53 AM
They can drop the LHN if they wanted and go anywhere. Texas was just trying to eat their cake and have it too, when dealing with the Pac. It's not an albatross when you have ESPN writing you and $300 million check.

Why can't you guys see it? Boren was rejected yesterday by PAC, and today he is giving a press conference. Guess who did not give a press conference? The people who did not feel insecure about their perception. Texas.

They let OU get embarrassed, and let OU do all the heavy lifting today.

It takes a huuuuuge amount of faith and blindness to spin this as OU went through the trouble of being rejected by Pac to save Big 12. They could have done what they did today, two months ago.

Once they sign away their tier 1 and 2 rights for 6 years they can't go anywhere even if they drop the LHN unless they want to lose their share of about $1.5 billion dollars over those 6 years.

This means Texas, if they get out-voted on important issues , can't take their ball and go home. They are stuck in this conference for better or worse. Their vote counts the same as Iowa State's.

If you can't see what Boren and the rest of the league just did to Texas then you just want to b*tch about not getting to go to the PAC 10 or leaving Texas. In other words youmare mad at Boren because he didn't get all pizzed and give Texas the finger.

In my opinion he did something better, he got Texas to agree to be our trophy bride for perputuity which will come in handy when we are negotiating our tier 1 rights in 4 years.

picasso
9/23/2011, 07:54 AM

The press conference was a sad attempt to show that Boren is in charge and he got what he wanted, and that he doesn't have massive egg of his face. Nobody who is not wearing crimson glasses is buying it.

I actually prefer the JC method of being quiet, no rah rah comments, no celebrating Pac move without invitation. What was the purpose of Stoops being there?
Sometime it's best to take the blow, swallow the pride, and destroy your enemy next time, mercilessly. The only way to do that it to go to SEC, and play aTm in Jerry World every October, rather than Texas.
We don't know what happened. I heard Blevins more or less say that the PAC 12 did not want to deal with Texas. There are rumors and scenarios to support any argument right now.
Big whoop de doo. Did any of you really want to join out west? What a cluster**** that would have been.

picasso
9/23/2011, 08:00 AM

They can have the network, but with regulations. OU will probably have one also. Did you not hear Boren talking about how he would be willing for OU to lose money on this deal to keep the league strong? That means in a nutshell they've all agreed to a level playing field.

Perhaps he should have spoken slower.

sooneron
9/23/2011, 08:03 AM

That is pretty doubtful now, because Brady Deaton is Chairman of the board of directors. It would look REALLY bad if it appeared that he couldn't accomplish what Miz wanted as far as the future of the Big 12 was concerned.

rekamrettuB
9/23/2011, 08:22 AM
Does OU still have a football team?

FaninAma
9/23/2011, 08:35 AM
Show me the SIGNED contact that says anyone committed their media rights for six years.

If they haven't then we are right back to the beginning of the week with no agreement and you can quit worrying that Texas snuck one over on OU.

It is put up or shut up time. If the conference members don't sign the agreement then the conference is dead and we can can look at going to the PAC 12. At least now Boren can look at making a deal without having to have OSU tag along because he can claim he tried his best to make the Big 12 work but since it didn't and nobody wants OSU then he HAS to do what is best for OU even if that means leaving OSU behind.

Tear Down This Wall
9/23/2011, 08:40 AM
This is the distinct feel of last year's "Beebe saved the conference" baloney. And, many of you are biting again.

As to the question a couple of pages ago, what would I have done - I'd have gotten off my fat *** and called the SEC.

BigTip
9/23/2011, 08:42 AM
Austin paper has a column saying Texass won, OU lost.

I don't see it that way at all. Texas is making concessions. The rest of the conference is winding up in a sort of new conference that is structured better than the old one. The majority will rule, not the one with the money. We win because we keep traditions and we don't have all the down sides that we have discussed about moving.

In retrospect, the eleven should have done this when Colorado and the Cornholers were bitching a couple of years ago.

jkjsooner
9/23/2011, 08:43 AM
It's not that hard to win MNC in SEC: Saban won two, Meyer won two, even crazy Leslie won one.

I agree with this simply because the SEC now gets every bit of the benefit of the doubt. LSU got in the title game (in their back yard) with two losses.

Kansas only had one loss that year. I'm not saying Kansas (who didn't play in the Big 12 championship game) deserved to be in the title game but it does point out that a two loss SEC team can get in above a one loss BCS team. No matter how tough the SEC is, it is easier to go through the SEC schedule with two losses than to go through another BCS conference with no losses (which Kansas would have had to have done).

That year was an anomoly but it still points out that the schedule strength in the SEC doesn't tell the whole story now that the SEC has been given every benefit of the doubt.

FtwTxSooner
9/23/2011, 08:50 AM
Austin paper has a column saying Texass won, OU lost.

I don't see it that way at all. Texas is making concessions.

Are they really making concessions? Nothing has been mentioned on LHN. Dodds has repeatedly said the LHN was non-negotiable. If ESPN says high school content would bring in more revenue for the network, you can only guess which side Dodds will be on.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 09:03 AM
The spin out of Austin illuminates the attitude that drove Nebbish and aTm away. While I am pleased the Heartland continues to have a major conference, this article is a perfect example of why my hatred of whorn has grown from just a rivalry dislike to pure and utter loathing.

Now that college realignment has thankfully hit the pause button, it's time to recap and evaluate the fallout.

Here are the winners, losers and ties — not to be confused with bowties:
Winners
• Texas.
Don't the Longhorns always win? As athletic director DeLoss Dodds said when I asked him about how his trip to Los Angeles went last week, "I like winning." By preserving the Big 12 for the time being, the Longhorns get to keep their network, keep the status quo, remain the moving force in the league with the most clout and the most money, and basically get to have their cake and eat it, too — and then belch in Oklahoma's face.
• DeLoss Dodds.
If Larry Scott isn't the smartest man in the room, Dodds is. He's the most powerful athletic director in the country, if not the most powerful college sports figure in the nation.
• Any Big 12 team not named Oklahoma.
Baylor lives to fight again. So does Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State. The small private school in Waco has no one beating down its door for conference membership, but it has so far successfully held up Texas A&M's departure for the Southeastern Conference and put pressure on the four Big 12 schools to stay put. And Texas figures to let Baylor keep thinking it did all this.
• Bob Stoops.
The Sooners football coach remained in constant communication with OU President David Boren and expressed his reservations about going to the Pac-12 without Texas. Translation: He really didn't want to have to play Texas in a non-conference game every year and then play a full Pac-12 schedule more taxing than the Big 12's.
• Big 12 fans with a budget.
They don't have to break the bank to go to Texas' and OU's road games.
• The Longhorn Network.
ESPN held on to its new toy, Texas gets richer, and even if the Big 12 crumbles in a year or two or five, the LHN will be more established and will have grown even more powerful. Dodds said the instability of the league had much to do with ESPN being largely unable to make LHN deals with cable carriers and satellite companies, and he expects that to change now.
Losers
• Oklahoma.
The Sooners have the most egg on their face of anybody in the country, and you could probably fry an egg on the faces of some OU regents. Boren got on his soapbox, preached that OU is nobody's "wallflower," and made demands to Texas for continued Big 12 membership — only to have the Pac-12 rebuff Oklahoma's interest and Texas scoff at those concessions. No word yet on whether OU is changing its nickname to the Oklahoma Wallflowers.
OU, along with Oklahoma State, should have applied for Pac-12 membership the day after its clandestine meeting in Norman with Texas officials. It probably would have been accepted, thus killing the Big 12 and forcing Texas' hand. Scott wisely wavered when Texas balked and OU started getting wishy-washy, although many in the OU camp still very much wanted to go West. "We've been approached by OU forever," a source said. "They reached out to us before the ink was dry last summer."
• Dan Beebe.
We're guessing he's not living in Arizona under an assumed name. Bless his heart, but the smart commissioner — who parted ways with the Big 12 on Thursday — failed to get out in front of conference realignment, was made to look foolish by all the machinations, and did not inspire or lead. He's a good man who deserved better, but that's the price of lacking vision.
• Bill Byrne.
Texas A&M marginalized one of the best athletic directors in the country. Byrne opposes going to the SEC and wasn't allowed to speak on the issue. Hey, A&M, why do you think the SEC is even interested in you? It's because Byrne has made strong hires and built the Aggies' overall program into something that has teeth.
Ties
• The Pac-12.
With an asterisk. The league will do fine with its 12, but it had a chance to wreck the Big 12, become the first superconference with teams stretching from the Midwest to Malibu, and further strengthen its position as one of the nation's foremost leagues.
Larry Scott.
The Pac-12 commissioner pulled the plug on further talks with OU and Texas when it became clear Texas wasn't that committed to coming and Boren began making strange comments. If the Big 12 were smart, it would hire Scott as its new commissioner so he could boss around Texas. Scott would be in the winner's category, but he couldn't complete his vision of a Pac-16.
• Texas A&M.
Are you leaving or not? While A&M's stable of lawyers pore over their books to see whether Baylor's threat of litigation has merit, the Aggies sit tight. If there's any way the Aggies don't wind up with the invite to the SEC — I'm convinced A&M will complete the deal — and end up being forced to go independent for a while, you can move A&M into the Losers category.
• The Big 12.
The conference is alive. But for how long? When asked if he felt good that no other Big 12 school might leave, Dodds said: "I feel confident. But who do you believe anymore?"
Exactly.
[email protected]

jkjsooner
9/23/2011, 09:13 AM
The other schools need to stick together like they have in the past on rule changes to make sure TX doesn't get their way.

Here's the way I see it.

OU/Missouri - Have some ability to make demands on Texas because they know that if Texas leaves they can either follow Texas (OU to PAC with Texas) or that Texas's departure will shake things up enough to open up space for them somewhere.

OSU/Tech - Same as above but their position is a little weaker.

Baylor/KU/KSU/ISU - Pretty much still have to kiss Texas's behind because recent events have shown that if Texas leaves there's no doubt that they will be left out in the cold.

Nobody has the power to demand equal revenue sharing or no LHN. Texas knows that they can go anywhere they want with these conditions.

Add all this up and even assuming that OU/Missouri/OSU/Tech have the authority to make demands from Texas, they still don't have the votes. Texas can threaten to walk and Baylor, KU, KSU, and ISU will have no choice but to cave.

This long term deal is going to favor Texas.

FaninAma
9/23/2011, 09:21 AM
This is the distinct feel of last year's "Beebe saved the conference" baloney. And, many of you are biting again.

As to the question a couple of pages ago, what would I have done - I'd have gotten off my fat *** and called the SEC.

If this deal works out Texas is hemmed in. Yes they will still make a bunch of money.....as will we all.

If it doesn't work out Boren can negotiate with other conferences and,IMO, do so without the shackles of OSU around his ankles.

If the Big 12 fails it will be Texas' fault for not signing the deal. If the Big 10 or PAC 12 won't take OU with OSU in tow then Boren has to do what is best for his university. Even the morons in the state legislature wouldn't demand OU go to a 2nd rate conference just to stay connected with the aggies........although we are talking about the aggies.

MeMyself&Me
9/23/2011, 09:21 AM
Nobody has the power to demand equal revenue sharing or no LHN. Texas knows that they can go anywhere they want with these conditions.

Add all this up and even assuming that OU/Missouri/OSU/Tech have the authority to make demands from Texas, they still don't have the votes. Texas can threaten to walk and Baylor, KU, KSU, and ISU will have no choice but to cave.

This long term deal is going to favor Texas.

I don't agree with you here. Texas can't go anywhere with LHN so there is no risk to in making demands and the 'have nots' will be able to vote without concern. If anything, they're more likely to vote with Missouri, OU, OSU, and Tech who do have options.

NormanPride
9/23/2011, 09:34 AM
Are we sure that's the sticking point? That nobody wants OSU?

I mean, I'd be tickled pink if it was, but have we seen any quotes that say as much?

BigTip
9/23/2011, 09:40 AM
Texas can't go anywhere with LHN so there is no risk to in making demands and the 'have nots' will be able to vote without concern. If anything, they're more likely to vote with Missouri, OU, OSU, and Tech who do have options.

I agree with this. Texass learned that they don't have too many options if things fell apart. They are much more inclined to keep "their" conference mates happy so that they themselves actually have a conference to be in.

FaninAma
9/23/2011, 09:43 AM

I mean, I'd be tickled pink if it was, but have we seen any quotes that say as much?

To the PAC.....no.

To the Big1G........yes.

Fraggle145
9/23/2011, 09:48 AM
Any way to force A&M to stay? Having A&M would keep this joke of a conference somewhat respectable. Sorry but potentially adding BYU and Cincinnati doesn't excite me, neither does playing K-State, Baylor and Iowa State. I was hoping to get rid of those...

This is kinda what I am thinking...

SoonerMom2
9/23/2011, 09:52 AM
Last night on Fox Sports radio they said that Texas has ZERO options except to help make the Big 12 work or go independent. With a new Commissioner they expect him to get tough with Texas. The one guy said that Scott actually got USC and UCLA to share revenue which they thought possible on the West Coast. They went on to say that no conference wants TX now with this happening twice in one year.

Tear Down This Wall
9/23/2011, 09:53 AM

Yes. There was a quote from Pac-12 Commish regarding OU's offer of a Pac-14 with OU and OSU without Texas and Tech. Pac-12 was uninterested.

The fact is, they wanted us and Texas as a package. Because politicians are hissy babies, we have to drag along OSU, Texas has to change the diapers of Tech and Baylor, KU has to watch out for KSU.

The only schools in the Big 12, really, with no one to hold them back were Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Iowa State. Three of them have taken advantage and hit the exit. Mizzou still may despite Boren's blathering about a 6-year deal already being nailed down.

That leaves Iowa State. If I was their president and AD, I'd keep banging on those Big East phone lines. ISU has that phony baloney AAU status, so maybe that will make them attractive to someone. But, it hasn't so far. It's plain to see that Iowa wasn't making a pitch for them to join the Big Ten last year just because some pointy-head gab-gathering says they both have the same academic status.

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2011, 09:55 AM
All the more reason we should've pressed the hell out of * by bolting for the SEC or Pac-12 when we had the chance.

* is locked in, they just lost one of their bigger rivals. I don't care how many people they have, no one is going to pay to watch * play houston and baylor in baseball or whatever. Another couple of bad years in football and the network will be a bust, and then they will be left with nothing but themselves.

Now we get to watch mizzou and a&m bolt. hoooray, the big-??? is saved!!!!!!

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 10:02 AM
Compare this with what that tool kbohls wrote in my earlier post:

From Rivals.com:

• (http://www.950kjr.com/player/?station=KJR-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=ian_furness.xml&mid=21428930) Meanwhile, back in the future… Contrary to certain reports out of Austin (http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/sources-texas-has-three-viable-realignment-options-1851020.html?cxtype=rss_sports_86442), the Pac-12 was never close to accepting Texas (http://www.950kjr.com/player/?station=KJR-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=ian_furness.xml&mid=21428930)[/URL], according to commissioner [URL="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/players/206150/"]Larry Scott (http://www.950kjr.com/player/?station=KJR-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=ian_furness.xml&mid=21428930), who said in a radio interview Thursday that Oklahoma was pushing the conference to add OU and Oklahoma State (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/ood/) to get to 14 teams and stop there, without Texas (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/teams/tth/). But settling on 14 "never really made sense to us," Scott told 950 KJR-AM in Seattle, and Pac-12 presidents were wary of dealing with Texas after being publicly burned by the Longhorns (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/It-s-alive-Texas-shuns-Pac-10-for-big-bucks-in-?urn=ncaaf-248346) last year. "It wasn't nearly as close as the media painted it out to be," Scott said. "If you paid attention to where the media reports where coming from that it was imminent, it was all out of Texas. … I don't see any scenario in which we're going to be having this conversation anytime soon again."

OklahomaTuba
9/23/2011, 10:03 AM
The SEC would take OSU (I think). We should've bolted for the SEC once the pac-12 was off the table. This is ending up to truly be a disaster for us me thinks.

jkjsooner
9/23/2011, 10:06 AM
I don't agree with you here. Texas can't go anywhere with LHN so there is no risk to in making demands and the 'have nots' will be able to vote without concern. If anything, they're more likely to vote with Missouri, OU, OSU, and Tech who do have options.

What I said was we can't demand the removal of the LHN or equal revenue sharing. If we demanded that much they could go anywhere with the same conditions. We can meet in the middle but we can't make the same demands that the Big 10 or the PAC 12 have made.

marfacowboy
9/23/2011, 10:11 AM

You should write Boren and express your feelings. He'll write back. When he does, perhaps you could copy and paste the exchange here for all to see.

schooners
9/23/2011, 10:17 AM
Just a question...Could Texas even sign such an agreement that turned over any rights to the Big 12whatever? I think ESPN might have a problem with that.

FtwTxSooner
9/23/2011, 10:18 AM
Since Boren seems very keen on a very high stakes game of bluffing, why not push Texass to the limits on the LHN? Force them in a corner. If they get up and leave, we'll just deal with it, similarly to how we're dealing with the Pac-14 blowup.

Tear Down This Wall
9/23/2011, 10:23 AM
The SEC would take OSU (I think). We should've bolted for the SEC once the pac-12 was off the table. This is ending up to truly be a disaster for us me thinks.

Yes, and we're giving away money in our bid to conference unity. So, there's another thing all of this hemming and hawing by leadership has gotten us.

Tear Down This Wall
9/23/2011, 10:23 AM
You should write Boren and express your feelings. He'll write back. When he does, perhaps you could copy and paste the exchange here for all to see.

Fine. I will. What is his e-mail address.

Lawton4Life
9/23/2011, 10:24 AM
Just a question...Could Texas even sign such an agreement that turned over any rights to the Big 12whatever? I think ESPN might have a problem with that.

The LHN is their 3 tier rights. The signing over part is Tier 1 and 2.

Mr. Nuke
9/23/2011, 10:26 AM
After the fiascos of the last two years, do you think any network in their right mind would pick up the BigXII rights for more than 1 year without an extension of those grants? The networks will pay for those rights and pay for them dearly. But only if the grants are extended. If they aren't, then you will see a nosedive in the value of the conference TV deal.
No I agree completely with you that it is necessary if the conference has any chance to get a decent Tier 1 deal. All I was saying is that if we are you get to years 4 through 6 of that deal, the deterrent of leaving diminishes for all 9 schools. At that point if a conference really wants you they may be willing to wait on your rights for a year.

Soonerfan88
9/23/2011, 10:28 AM

ESPN/LHN only has Tier 3 rights. The entire conference's Tier 1 & 2 rights are contracted to ESPN/ABC and FOX/FX.

Ultimately, UT will never get a better deal from another conference unless they give up the LHN. The only real option they have other than Big 12 is going independent. I'm not that worked up about the $15M or their network in general. The biggest issue I had was HS content and the conference games somewhat. The NCAA has already shut down HS content, so no more problem there. As for conference games, because of the way media contracts are written FOX has the right to sell those games as long as the school agrees. So if KU wants to make $4M off the deal, no one can stop them. I'm happy to still be in the Big 12 but I really wouldn't have minded being in the PAC either. IMO, Boren did a great job and I'm not worried about how they spin this in Austin.

MeMyself&Me
9/23/2011, 10:32 AM
What I said was we can't demand the removal of the LHN or equal revenue sharing. If we demanded that much they could go anywhere with the same conditions. We can meet in the middle but we can't make the same demands that the Big 10 or the PAC 12 have made.

We don't need removal of LHN. The idea of Texas having a network isn't a problem. There are some elements of LHN that need to be changed though. Equal revenue sharing of tier 1 and tier 2 rights is happening... already agreed to. No one is asking for equal revenue sharing of tier 3 which would be necessary for Pac and B1G. Texas making money of Tier 3 is not a problem, its the use of it to be a recruiting advantage or to weaken the conferences tier 1 and 2 right's value.

Yes they can. LHN is a tier 3 issue. Not tier 1 or 2.

jkjsooner
9/23/2011, 10:33 AM
To the PAC.....no.

To the Big1G........yes.

I don't think B1G wants us either. Like it or not, they don't view us as academic equals.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 10:35 AM
Fine. I will. What is his e-mail address.

[email protected]

Mr. Nuke
9/23/2011, 10:36 AM
They can have the network, but with regulations. OU will probably have one also. Did you not hear Boren talking about how he would be willing for OU to lose money on this deal to keep the league strong? That means in a nutshell they've all agreed to a level playing field.

Perhaps he should have spoken slower.
Yes I did, but that was another Boren words coming out of his mouth but not making any sense type of situation. The unequal revenue sharing model being discussed doing away with was veto proof due to the OU, Sip, NU, and A&M voting block. Missouri has benefited under said system in recent years. OU can vote to do away with it and lose a couple of million dollars there if they want to. I really don't think that is a big deal to Texas anymore either due to the LHN on the side (that wouldn't be a part of any vote).

schooners
9/23/2011, 10:37 AM
Even if ESPN has a "right to first refusal" on tier 1 and tier 2 rights if Texas were to go independent?
This website is stupid but it has some great info on the ESPN LHN contract.

http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/2011/08/documents-reveal-intention-behind.html

MeMyself&Me
9/23/2011, 10:38 AM
So if KU wants to make $4M off the deal, no one can stop them.

The issue is that ESPiN, who owns the more valuable 1st rights has to let it fall to Fox before they can purchase it from fox. Let's say by the time Texas and Kansas were undefeated by the time they played and were ranked (I know Kansas has lost now but this is hypothetical). That game would certainly have been picked up via first tier under normal circumstances. Because ESPiN owns 1st tier and Texas's 3rd tier, they can do an end around to force undervaluing games to their advantage.

Tear Down This Wall
9/23/2011, 10:38 AM
I don't think B1G wants us either. Like it or not, they don't view us as academic equals.

Again, not all Pac-12 member are in the AAU.

Utah isn't in the AAU...and, they don't have jack for football or basketball history. And, the Pac-12 took them. Guess it was to tap that all important Salt Lake City market everyone covets.

That's a key point to remember - Utah goes in on its own merits, and they tell us no thanks with your little sister OSU.

Utah, people. Utah.

And, you want to try to convince me that Boren didn't get played?

Academics? Baloney. Only seven of the current Pac-12 are in the AAU. And, if they they took a non-BCS AQ like Utah without it, it amounts to what I've said all along as far as the conference game goes - nothing. AAU membership is nothing but a big bag of nothing. Anyone who argues otherwise must explain Utah in the Pac-12.

MeMyself&Me
9/23/2011, 10:40 AM
Even if ESPN has a "right to first refusal" on tier 1 and tier 2 rights if Texas were to go independent?
This website is stupid but it has some great info on the ESPN LHN contract.

http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/2011/08/documents-reveal-intention-behind.html

The contract also says that it will abide by conference rules.

SoonerLaw09
9/23/2011, 10:43 AM
I must say, now that the details have emerged, I'm starting to warm up to what Boren did. Now, I still hate Texass and Baylor and want to drown all their kittens. However, the even revenue and the 6-year handcuff cuts all ways, and cuts at least 1 ball off Bevo, if not both. If OU comes out with its own network after all, and we've locked everyone in, then whorn truly loses a lot of stroke.

What we really need to do now is 1) Get the Sooner Network up and running ASAP, and 2) work on getting three *quality* teams to fill out the conference. Heck, I say invite BYU, AFA *and* Cincy and be done with it.

King Crimson
9/23/2011, 10:51 AM
OU is comparable or better than both AZ schools, WSU and OSU and probably Oregon. Utah, as well. that's a dodge....the Pac is top heavy with Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC (lately, big money infusion)...those are top tier schools......with a middle class of UW and CU....and then the rest may have the west coast chic factor but aren't superior to U of Oklahoma at all.

now Tech and OSU i could see being worrisome. i was never really excited about the Pac anyway....no sour grapes, but Pac never interested me much. last time around i could get behind an SEC move. Pac, meh.

Dio
9/23/2011, 10:52 AM
Heck, I say invite Boise, TCU *and* Wf'nV and be done with it.

fixed.

If we're going to give money away for the sake of conference "stability", we might as well buy some teams that will make for some interesting football games. **** it, let's get BYU, UCF, USF (Fla recruiting/ *teams on the rise*) and Cincy and go to 16.

FtwTxSooner
9/23/2011, 10:57 AM
Everyone agreed to keep the issues private. Texas makes a minor token concession and shoots down everything else, and Boren can come out and say we got all we wanted.

deweydw
9/23/2011, 11:03 AM
#1. We need 12 teams

#1. BYU
#2. West Virginia
#3. Air Force
#4. Cincinatti
#5. Louisville

One school not on that list is TCU. Apparently, UT fans would like to see TCU in the B12. A whorn fan friend of mine sent me this article.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1269088

Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com Columnist

The Big 12 presidents were scheduled to meet on a conference call at 5 p.m. CT tonight.

There is a lot to talk about, including the imminent resignation of commissioner Dan Beebe and the naming of former Big 8 commissioner Chuck Neinas as Beebe's interim replacement, two high-ranking Big 12 officials told Orangebloods.com.

The presidents will also discuss Big 12 expansion and whether to add one school or three schools, sources said.

And TCU may be rising up the list of candidates to become No. 10, two key sources said Thursday.

While BYU has been the popular thought as a replacement for Texas A&M, a key source close to the situation says BYU may no longer be interested in joining the Big 12 because of the recent instability.

While BYU seemed very interested in the possibility of joining the Big 12 a month ago, a key source close to the situation said, that was before all the rancor erupted involving Oklahoma, the Big 12 and OU's attempt to land in the Pac-12.

BYU would stand to grow exponentially financially with a move to the Big 12 because the Cougars made less than $2 million in TV revenue last year and would stand to make $18 million in the Big 12 next year.

But BYU is not hung up on money, the source said.

TCU is moving up the list of potential candidates because of its presence in college football under Gary Patterson. The Horned Frogs have announced they will leave the Mountain West for the Big East after this season. But those plans could be on hold, sources said.

Expanding outside the current geographic footprint of the Big 12 has always been seen as a priority of the league (it was verbalized by Dan Beebe last year) to draw more television sets. But it appears the TV partners of the Big 12 (ABC/ESPN and Fox) would be comfortable enough with TCU replacing A&M to continue paying out the money in their current contracts with the league, sources said.

Texas appears to want to grow only to 10 schools. UT athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Wednesday he favors 10 because the path to a BCS championship is more clear without a league title game. But Dodds said it will obviously be discussed by everyone in the Big 12.

The possibility of adding schools like Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati will be discussed by Big 12 presidents, sources said. But some wonder if that makes a lot of geographic sense. Others want the Big 12 to grow to 12 immediately to try and solidify the conference with more numbers.

Either way, keep an eye on TCU as a rising candidate to join the Big 12.

There was some concern early in the day that Missouri might still be entertaining thoughts of joining the Southeastern Conference. But Mizzou chancellor Brady Deaton, as the chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors, has been leading the charge to hold the Big 12 together over the past several days.

Sources indicate if the SEC were to make any move involving Missouri that the SEC would face the same kind of legal threat when Texas A&M was about to be added as the 13th member of the SEC.

Sources say the SEC had previously indicated it would not get involved with Missouri if would mean the Big 12 would unravel. But that was before Oklahoma caused such an uproar on Sept. 2, when OU president David Boren said no one was more active in looking at its conference options than OU.

The three weeks following Boren's comments have included the destabilizing of the Big East with Syracuse and Pitt joining the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Boren, a former governor of Oklahoma, has been trying to spin the Sooners' lack of a stand-along invitation to the Pac-12 since Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott announced on Tuesday night that his league would not expand.

Boren has ruffled even more feathers tonight by calling a press conference for 6:30 p.m. CT with athletic director Joe Castiglione and Bob Stoops to discuss OU's view of things.

That's because a press conference had been called much earlier in the day by Missouri chancellor Brady Deaton for 6:45 p.m. CT.

"What is Boren doing upstaging the chairman of the Big 12 Board of Directors?" one Big 12 administrator wondered aloud. "That's just uncalled for."

Stay tuned.

rekamrettuB
9/23/2011, 11:05 AM
Why would anyone want to join the Big XII - II - I - IV + II + II?

okie52
9/23/2011, 11:05 AM
Everyone agreed to keep the issues private. Texas makes a minor token concession and shoots down everything else, and Boren can come out and say we got all we wanted.

Boren...very weak, hand poorly played.

No amount of backtracking will make him look better.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 11:08 AM
Chip Brown just throws **** against the wall to see if it sticks.

He has consistently been wrong during this entire episode.

TCU would have to pay a large exit fee to leave the Big East, as stated earlier in the week by the Big East Conference.

Plexis22
9/23/2011, 11:31 AM
Boren...very weak, hand poorly played.

No amount of backtracking will make him look better.

Yeah, that's what I took away from it. OU, thanks to Boren, appears weak and solidified our image as Texas' little brother.

Not feeling good about this at all.

rekamrettuB
9/23/2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that's what I took away from it. OU, thanks to Boren, appears weak and solidified our image as Texas' little brother.

And, if it does, what's the big deal? Do you think OU will suffer in the polls this week due to this perception?

okie52
9/23/2011, 11:33 AM

Has anybody nominated Boren for the "Jimmy's, egg on your face" award?

Russ
9/23/2011, 11:34 AM
Chip Brown just throws **** against the wall to see if it sticks.

He has consistently been wrong during this entire episode.

TCU would have to pay a large exit fee to leave the Big East, as stated earlier in the week by the Big East Conference.

TCU could exit before joining the Big East with no issues. They were joining the Big East on the premise that the league was there. If people are leaving then they can back out of the contract before it happens. They have been paid nothing by the BE so far.

okie52
9/23/2011, 11:35 AM
And, if it does, what's the big deal? Do you think OU will suffer in the polls this week due to this perception?

Hopefully not. It is a shame that for all of his talk about academics he came off looking stupid.

badger
9/23/2011, 11:36 AM
Don't feel too bad. Boren publicly demanded the removal of Beebe and got it.

Boren publicly said that the conference revenue for tier 1/2 needed to be equally shared and got it.

And if Boren can somehow get his last public request to happen: Texas A&M to stay in the Big 12 even as it is mostly out the door... wow. Boren is a genius once again.

But at this point, I think the only thing that keeps Aggie in the conference is the Texas' legislature, the thread of big lawsuit money, or SEC withdrawing their acceptance. All three are possible.

If Aggie is truly out, NO NEGOTIATION. Full exit fee, no wiggle room. It's only withheld money anyway, so it's not like we're asking them to cut as a check. We just shouldn't give them anything that they are not entitled to... which is nothing.

Boren and everyone else knows that unless Aggie is forced to stay by something they cannot control, they will have one angry fanbase on their hands if they decide to stay on their own. The whole "sold out football season tickets next year" thing pretty much solidifies that.

Lott's Bandana
9/23/2011, 11:41 AM
Baj,

How about merging this thread into the stickied thread? They are both saying the same things...

okie52
9/23/2011, 11:44 AM
Don't feel too bad. Boren publicly demanded the removal of Beebe and got it.

Boren publicly said that the conference revenue for tier 1/2 needed to be equally shared and got it.

And if Boren can somehow get his last public request to happen: Texas A&M to stay in the Big 12 even as it is mostly out the door... wow. Boren is a genius once again.

But at this point, I think the only thing that keeps Aggie in the conference is the Texas' legislature, the thread of big lawsuit money, or SEC withdrawing their acceptance. All three are possible.

If Aggie is truly out, NO NEGOTIATION. Full exit fee, no wiggle room. It's only withheld money anyway, so it's not like we're asking them to cut as a check. We just shouldn't give them anything that they are not entitled to... which is nothing.

Boren and everyone else knows that unless Aggie is forced to stay by something they cannot control, they will have one angry fanbase on their hands if they decide to stay on their own. The whole "sold out football season tickets next year" thing pretty much solidifies that.

Beebe's removal was all window dressing....He11, Boren had just approved his pay raise 10 months ago. Bottom line was Boren/OU got turned down by the PAC while he wouldn't consider the SEC...a foolish move to take one conference out of play that was geographically and culturally more viable than the conference he sought. And to lay down your cards without an absolute
guarantee of a conference invite from the PAC was really stupid.

badger
9/23/2011, 11:45 AM
I would, but I'm not a real modador. I am a vModador. So, if you'd like vBookie option on how many realignment threads we can get going at once I could do that :D

I personally don't mind new information threads, but a lot of the new realignment that have been popping up are kind of unnecessary... the ones that could have the title "My opinion on realignment is..." for example.

Since there was a Boren presser last night, it isn't completely irrational to have a thread dedicated to it.