PDA

View Full Version : Gator Fans?

SoonerinSouthlake
12/8/2008, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know what kind of fans they are??

Meaning.... are they like Nebraska and Tex A&M fans...who overall are pretty good sports win or lose?

Are they Like Whorn Fans....who woulda, shoulda, coulda won every game and natl title since 1945, and think we are all envious of their big campus

OR are they like the LSU fans, who act like drunk obnoxious jackasses before during and after the game? ( Is LSU behavior an LSU thing, or an SEC thing)???

soonergirlNeugene
12/8/2008, 06:52 PM
I remember hearing from more than a few LSU fans down in New Orleans something along the lines of 'you think we're bad, Florida fans are much worse.' Of course they're rivals, so if you asked a whorn about Sooner fans, they'd probably paint a very different picture than say a Bammer fan.

I would recommend proceeding with hopeful caution. Let their actions determine your opinion.

AZOUFan
12/8/2008, 07:02 PM
I first moved to Phoenix in 1996, Nebraska played Florida for the NC that year in the Fiesta Bowl. I hate Nebraska football, but my roommate and some friends were big Husker fans, so I went along. We pulled into the parking garage and a guy from Florida had written "Florida is going to beat Nebraska like Lawrence Phillips beats his girlfriend" in his back window. (NU running back, arrested, suspended, reinstated for domestic violence right before the game). In the 1/2 mile walk from the garage to a bar on Mill Ave. I had turned into a Husker fan and bought a Nebraska shirt and hat to wear. Yes it burned my skin but it was worth it to ensure I wasn't associated with the classless band of drunk college idiots who's sole purpose in life was to yell and curse as loudly as possible.

Every single Gator fan, young and old alike sang the "It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's Great to be, a Flori..." ad nauseum. The bar we sat in was split down the middle just like the Cotton Bowl, and it was UGLY. The loudest, most obnoxious jerk fans in the world on that side. We're gonna spank you losers, Nebraska sucks, Tommy Frazier sucks, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator...man, I'm getting mad just reflecting on it now.

So as you know, Nebraska THROTTLED them 63 - 24 or something, don't remember, it was ugly. And perhaps that's why, they were so gracious in defeat. Not a peep, not a fight (that I saw), nothing. We were walking down Mill Ave. afterwards screaming in a drunken stupor and a carload of Gator fans simply smiled, shrugged their shoulders as if to say "yep, we got humiliated". Now, what would it have been like if the score was reversed? I predict an LA Riots type of scene.

12 years ago, a cross country trip and my lasting impression is that Gator fans by and large (yes I'm generalizing, pardon me) were back in the day, a bunch of classless jerks. I can't imagine how bad it might be on their home turf. Sorry to be a downer, maybe someone has a nicer story.

PS - I threw away the shirt and hat in the dumpster outside our apartment when we returned home that evening. Don't want anyone thinking badly of me here.

OK2LA
12/8/2008, 07:03 PM
I hear that they are big fans of jorts

olevetonahill
12/8/2008, 07:05 PM
Anyone got a Link to their message Brd ?

TheUnnamedSooner
12/8/2008, 07:09 PM
Meaning.... are they like Nebraska and Tex A&M fans...who overall are pretty good sports win or lose?

Apparently you didn't go to college station in 2000 or the big 12 championship game in 2006.

OUinFLA
12/8/2008, 08:08 PM
We've got 15 Million people down here. 60% of the football fans are Gators.
All the ones I know are respectful, love Bob Stoops, know a lot about football, but still believe the SEC is the best conference. They think it will be a "decent" game, but don't believe the Big XII knows a thing about defense.

However, like any fan base with several million fans, there will be a large number of .......... "football idiots"......... if OU wins they will have many excuses, if Florida wins they will say " I told you so".

The friends I have here don't behave that way. They don't make excuses, and they expect to win every game. But when they don't they are gracious and complementary of the opponent who beat them. Exception: FSU. Nothing FSU does is "fair, right, sportsmanlike, or legal" It is a hate far in excess of OU/texas. I don't know any Fla fan who ever wishes FSU does well in any game of football they play, no matter who it is they are playing against. They are...."for Florida and whoever is playing against FSU", every weekend of the season.

Now as to who shows up in Ft Lauderdale for the game. I wouldnt be to concerned that Gator fans will rule the area before or after the game. Because, now you are in Hurricane Country, and the fan base south of West Palm Beach is overwhelmingly Miami fans, and they hope Florida gets tosted in the game. They would like to think they are Florida's bitter rival, but that honor belongs to FSU.

It is NOT like OU going to the Sugar Bowl and playing LSU.

Frozen Sooner
12/8/2008, 08:18 PM
They're somewhat justifiably arrogant. Their opinion of the relative merits of their football team is a bit inflated (remember how Bob Stoops was going to jump at the chance to coach them?)

There's a big group of Gator fans who hang out at the same sports bar we do. For the most part they've been pretty cool. A lot of that probably has something to do with never playing each other.

Kind of a neauveau-riche fanbase. Reminds me in some respects of Missouri fan with an actual history of winning.

sooner59
12/8/2008, 08:20 PM
Apparently you didn't go to college station in 2000 or the big 12 championship game in 2006.

I never had a single problem with Nebraska in 2006, I actually gained respect for them. All of their fans were nice to me before the game, and after the game I got nothing but congratulations and good luck in the Fiesta Bowl.

nytehorn
12/8/2008, 08:30 PM
The Florida board that I go to.

gatorcountry.com

SoonerMom2
12/8/2008, 08:32 PM
Having spent time in Gainesville, I am less then impressed with their fans. The word that comes to my mind is arrogance and believing they are owed a championship, but then I don't care for Urban Meyers and his pulling strings to get this players out of trouble -- all of a sudden a strong case will disappear. Since it happened on my three visits, I would say the probability of it going on more often is very high. Even in the restaurants there is an arrogance about FL and the SEC from patrons and their looking down at other schools especially the Big 12. You can hear it when you are sitting having dinner. There is only one football conference and it is the SEC. FL fans I met in Gainesville remind me of TX fans only worse.

The good news is where we are going is Miami territory and they hate FL.

Osce0la
12/8/2008, 08:35 PM
Depends on who you ask...I will keep my opinions to myself though because I am more than a little biased ;)

SoonerEmpire
12/8/2008, 08:56 PM

Miami fans hate us too. I wonder who Miami fans will be pulling for since they hate both schools and both schools hate them? Granted, Hurricane country is used to us being in Miami for the bowl season throughout the years but still...

Should be interesting times in South Beach the first week of the new year.

bluedogok
12/8/2008, 08:56 PM
Depends on who you ask...I will keep my opinions to myself though because I am more than a little biased ;)
REALLY? Never would have guessed :D

We just might as well acquiesce to the fact that the worst team in the SEC would WHIP anyone in the NFL :rolleyes:

Rogue
12/8/2008, 09:01 PM
I met a buncha travellin' Gator fans in Knoxville this year.
Decent bunch as far as I'm concerned.

RedstickSooner
12/8/2008, 09:45 PM
I first moved to Phoenix in 1996, Nebraska played Florida for the NC that year in the Fiesta Bowl. I hate Nebraska football, but my roommate and some friends were big Husker fans, so I went along. We pulled into the parking garage and a guy from Florida had written "Florida is going to beat Nebraska like Lawrence Phillips beats his girlfriend" in his back window. (NU running back, arrested, suspended, reinstated for domestic violence right before the game). In the 1/2 mile walk from the garage to a bar on Mill Ave. I had turned into a Husker fan and bought a Nebraska shirt and hat to wear. Yes it burned my skin but it was worth it to ensure I wasn't associated with the classless band of drunk college idiots who's sole purpose in life was to yell and curse as loudly as possible.

Every single Gator fan, young and old alike sang the "It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's Great to be, a Flori..." ad nauseum. The bar we sat in was split down the middle just like the Cotton Bowl, and it was UGLY. The loudest, most obnoxious jerk fans in the world on that side. We're gonna spank you losers, Nebraska sucks, Tommy Frazier sucks, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator...man, I'm getting mad just reflecting on it now.

So as you know, Nebraska THROTTLED them 63 - 24 or something, don't remember, it was ugly. And perhaps that's why, they were so gracious in defeat. Not a peep, not a fight (that I saw), nothing. We were walking down Mill Ave. afterwards screaming in a drunken stupor and a carload of Gator fans simply smiled, shrugged their shoulders as if to say "yep, we got humiliated". Now, what would it have been like if the score was reversed? I predict an LA Riots type of scene.

12 years ago, a cross country trip and my lasting impression is that Gator fans by and large (yes I'm generalizing, pardon me) were back in the day, a bunch of classless jerks. I can't imagine how bad it might be on their home turf. Sorry to be a downer, maybe someone has a nicer story.

PS - I threw away the shirt and hat in the dumpster outside our apartment when we returned home that evening. Don't want anyone thinking badly of me here.

Okay, what am I missing here?

1) The lawrence phillips thing was inexcusable -- and Florida fans should've rubbed it into Nebraska fans' faces every chance they got.

2) They sing some song a lot? Seriously? Dude, do you have any idea how little other team's fans enjoy Boomer Sooner?

3) People were boisterous in a bar? Right before a ginormous bowl game? You think this would've been any different with any other team's fans?

4) So after the game's over, they're all real nice and *you* are the one screaming things to which they politely respond, "Yeah we got humiliated?"

Uhm... You make them sound like pretty decent fans. And you sound, well, kinda like a jerk in there. Either I'm missing something, or maybe you should re-write it a bit, explain what they did that you thought was worse than other fans, y'know? :)

For reference, here are some of the LSU "fan" behaviors I remember reading about after the Sugar Bowl:

1) Little kids running up screaming obscenities at OU fans. While their parents watched and laughed.

2) Endless taunting and jeering before and after the game.

3) Drinks thrown on OU fans.

4) Endless screams of "tiger bait, tiger bait", which ain't exactly a fight song -- it's just a rude taunt.

Far as I can tell, your Florida fans sang their song, yelled they were gonna win inside a bar, and were meek & friendly in defeat. If anything, you're sorta describing well-above-average fans. You can't hope for every game to be as friendly as Nebbish-OU fan relations usually are.

Fraggle145
12/8/2008, 09:51 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2364/2329386374_47b7d57a8e.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/jkswint01/GatorsWearJeanShorts.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_WeL00GGvLRk/RyHouu2aADI/AAAAAAAAAi0/zSGUFYBAYMU/s1600/gwjs23.jpg

westcoast_sooner
12/8/2008, 10:04 PM
We've got 15 Million people down here. 60% of the football fans are Gators.
All the ones I know are respectful, love Bob Stoops, know a lot about football, but still believe the SEC is the best conference. They think it will be a "decent" game, but don't believe the Big XII knows a thing about defense.

However, like any fan base with several million fans, there will be a large number of .......... "football idiots"......... if OU wins they will have many excuses, if Florida wins they will say " I told you so".

The friends I have here don't behave that way. They don't make excuses, and they expect to win every game. But when they don't they are gracious and complementary of the opponent who beat them. Exception: FSU. Nothing FSU does is "fair, right, sportsmanlike, or legal" It is a hate far in excess of OU/texas. I don't know any Fla fan who ever wishes FSU does well in any game of football they play, no matter who it is they are playing against. They are...."for Florida and whoever is playing against FSU", every weekend of the season.

Now as to who shows up in Ft Lauderdale for the game. I wouldnt be to concerned that Gator fans will rule the area before or after the game. Because, now you are in Hurricane Country, and the fan base south of West Palm Beach is overwhelmingly Miami fans, and they hope Florida gets tosted in the game. They would like to think they are Florida's bitter rival, but that honor belongs to FSU.

It is NOT like OU going to the Sugar Bowl and playing LSU.

I just got back from Jacksonville the weekend of the Tech game, went for a relative's birthday party. They are Florida alums and love their Gators. Overall, I think their fans are OK. They expect to win every game they play. Spurrier really took that team and built it into a college football power. I think they respect Coach Stoops. We were at their house for the first half of the Tech game and they had it on for me (I'm the only Sooner in the group), so that was pretty cool.

tator
12/8/2008, 10:37 PM
I never had a single problem with Nebraska in 2006, I actually gained respect for them. All of their fans were nice to me before the game, and after the game I got nothing but congratulations and good luck in the Fiesta Bowl.
Same here. I actually made friends with a family of dudes wearing only overalls, no shirts in the snow!

Wishboned
12/8/2008, 11:03 PM
I lived in Florida for 11 years.

Gator fans were the only ones I could tolerate.

One of my good friends is a Florida alum. I called him early Sunday morning and we spent the next two hours giving reasons why the other's team was going to get their *** beat.

ratedrsuperstar
12/8/2008, 11:41 PM
They are much better than FSU or Georgia Fans. I live 35 miles from FSU, 3 hours from Auburn, 4 hours from Georgia and about 4 hours from Florida. Fla. and AU are the best fans of these, but the Gators have already crowned themselves champs this year. Here's a few post I've seen.

OU avg 50 per game against crap defenses. but they will not have to outscore 50 as this will be the first time OU faces a real defense. I say Gators 34 OU 17.

this will be another SEC Blowout. game will be over by halftime. the 50 points per game stuff from oklahoma? thats what they were saying before they lost too. the Big 12 defenses are horrible. i don't know how many "great plays" i saw in the big 12 that were passes to wide open recievers with nobody in the picture.....but it was alot!

Roberto...eveyone is jumpin on the big 12 bandwagon, but what have they proved in the past few years...nothing.

Mr2Cents
12/8/2008, 11:56 PM
Does anyone know what kind of fans they are??

Are they Like Whorn Fans....who woulda, shoulda, coulda won every game and natl title since 1945, and think we are all envious of their big campus

OR are they like the LSU fans, who act like drunk obnoxious jackasses before during and after the game? ( Is LSU behavior an LSU thing, or an SEC thing)???

It's a large fanbase, so you'll find folks who fit just about every good and bad profile imaginable. I graduated from UF, been a fan since the early 80's, and have seen the best and worst of our fanbase. There's no denying Spurrier infused the fanbase with arrogance in the 90's and the label has stuck ever since. That, and plenty of jorts and mullet references. So, I guess we'd be the equivalent of Poke fans with an inflated sense of entitlement. :D

However, the majority of UF fans - from the gracious types to the mouth breathers - have tremendous respect for Oklahoma. In fact, many became de facto Sooner fans once Bob Stoops left for Norman and loved every second of the '01 Orange Bowl against FSU. I look forward to seeing us line up against a storied program like Oklahoma and hope both teams are at 100% come January 8th.

As for Florida discussion boards, I'm partial to gatorcountry.com (http://www.gatorcountry.com/) for the most civil and educated discussions about matchups and strategies. Non-insider registration is still free, I believe. Be sure to tell 'em Mr2Cents sent you! Florida's Scout and Rivals sites leave much to be desired, in my opinion, as they seem to be bastions of smack talk rather than substantive football discussion.

olevetonahill
12/9/2008, 12:10 AM
It's a large fanbase, so you'll find folks who fit just about every good and bad profile imaginable. I graduated from UF, been a fan since the early 80's, and have seen the best and worst of our fanbase. There's no denying Spurrier infused the fanbase with arrogance in the 90's and the label has stuck ever since. That, and plenty of jorts and mullet references. So, I guess we'd be the equivalent of Poke fans with an inflated sense of entitlement. :D

However, the majority of UF fans - from the gracious types to the mouth breathers - have tremendous respect for Oklahoma. In fact, many became de facto Sooner fans once Bob Stoops left for Norman and loved every second of the '01 Orange Bowl against FSU. I look forward to seeing us line up against a storied program like Oklahoma and hope both teams are at 100% come January 8th.

As for Florida discussion boards, I'm partial to gatorcountry.com (http://www.gatorcountry.com/) for the most civil and educated discussions about matchups and strategies. Non-insider registration is still free, I believe. Be sure to tell 'em Mr2Cents sent you! Florida's Scout and Rivals sites leave much to be desired, in my opinion, as they seem to be bastions of smack talk rather than substantive football discussion.

Ive been there most of the evening . Like you said Most are Great Fans . Some are A-holes .
Kinda Like here :D

Sooner98
12/9/2008, 12:30 AM

http://loserwithsocks.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/jorts02nt5.jpg

FranklinTN_SoonerFan
12/9/2008, 01:06 AM
I live in SEC country. Florida fans are the worst! Your right about LSUfan, there just drunk. Georgiafan, annoying. Tennesseefan, unimformed. Floridafan? obnoxious!!! Cant stand 'em! I've only met one Florida grad that wasn't a over the top central Florida redneck. And I had sex with her, so I might be a little biased.

Fraggle145
12/9/2008, 01:11 AM
They are much better than FSU or Georgia Fans. I live 35 miles from FSU, 3 hours from Auburn, 4 hours from Georgia and about 4 hours from Florida. Fla. and AU are the best fans of these, but the Gators have already crowned themselves champs this year. Here's a few post I've seen.

OU avg 50 per game against crap defenses. but they will not have to outscore 50 as this will be the first time OU faces a real defense. I say Gators 34 OU 17.

this will be another SEC Blowout. game will be over by halftime. the 50 points per game stuff from oklahoma? thats what they were saying before they lost too. the Big 12 defenses are horrible. i don't know how many "great plays" i saw in the big 12 that were passes to wide open recievers with nobody in the picture.....but it was alot!

Roberto...eveyone is jumpin on the big 12 bandwagon, but what have they proved in the past few years...nothing.

Are you f'ing joking? Auburn fans are pieces of trash... Damn near at LSU status. At a UGA game I got hit in the head 3 different times with cups full of whisky from three different people in the deck above us - All AU fans. UGA fans are not nearly that bad. UF fans are pretty cocky and do wear jorts, but are not as bad as AU or LSU, but not as classy as say my experiences with Bama or Nebbish fans.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/9/2008, 01:22 AM
I remember hearing from more than a few LSU fans down in New Orleans something along the lines of 'you think we're bad, Florida fans are much worse.' Of course they're rivals, so if you asked a whorn about Sooner fans, they'd probably paint a very different picture than say a Bammer fan.

I would recommend proceeding with hopeful caution. Let their actions determine your opinion.

I heard the same. "You think tiger bait is bad? Those gators never shut up!!!"

If anyone is game, please put a dildo in your pocket that reads GATOR BAIT.

Pull it out when necessary.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/9/2008, 01:25 AM

... and that is why you ROCK!!!

Plus your photoshopping is somewhat substantial.

OU_Sooners75
12/9/2008, 04:39 AM
gatorenvy.com

they seem respectful.

I will try to get some over here.

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 09:35 AM
... and that is why you ROCK!!!

Plus your photoshopping is somewhat substantial.

Thanks, I've been known to dabble in the software from time to time. ;) Back at ya, man. I've pimped your fark board for years and also think the Sooners are also the most creative folks when it comes to signs on ESPN GameDay.

Hopefully, the bad apples won't taint your perceptions of our entire fan base. The younger crowd who didn't endure the failtastic pre-Spurrier period can be pretty abrasive and are quite often chastised for their lack of humility by the old timers (known as Bull Gators). Florida fans pride themselves in showing up, packing the stadium, and giving the team lots of vocal support.... unless it's the SEC title game against Bama, in which case the opposing team's ticket allotment is about 30%, ha. Another plus: our band uses the school fight song more sparingly and it isn't nearly as grating as Rocky Top or the warchant.

I look forward to opinions from both sides. I've only seen OU a handful of times this year and they look scary good. Hands down, the best offense we'll see all season and your defense has already faced some pretty darn good offenses - something Florida's hasn't.

soonerbrat
12/9/2008, 09:50 AM

1) The lawrence phillips thing was inexcusable -- and Florida fans should've rubbed it into Nebraska fans' faces every chance they got.

2) They sing some song a lot? Seriously? Dude, do you have any idea how little other team's fans enjoy Boomer Sooner?

3) People were boisterous in a bar? Right before a ginormous bowl game? You think this would've been any different with any other team's fans?

4) So after the game's over, they're all real nice and *you* are the one screaming things to which they politely respond, "Yeah we got humiliated?"

Uhm... You make them sound like pretty decent fans. And you sound, well, kinda like a jerk in there. Either I'm missing something, or maybe you should re-write it a bit, explain what they did that you thought was worse than other fans, y'know? :)

For reference, here are some of the LSU "fan" behaviors I remember reading about after the Sugar Bowl:

1) Little kids running up screaming obscenities at OU fans. While their parents watched and laughed.

4) Endless screams of "tiger bait, tiger bait", which ain't exactly a fight song -- it's just a rude taunt.

Far as I can tell, your Florida fans sang their song, yelled they were gonna win inside a bar, and were meek & friendly in defeat. If anything, you're sorta describing well-above-average fans. You can't hope for every game to be as friendly as Nebbish-OU fan relations usually are.

OMG the tiger bait thing was horrible. I was in NO by myself and a group of LSU fans (all guys) followed me around calling me "tiger bait" and "sooner whore". I finally went up to a group of sooner fans and asked them to please pretend to know me so those guys would stop following me around.

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 10:06 AM

Heh. I thought the band kinda wore it out against WVU last year, but we hear much worse (see my comments about the warchant and Rocky Top).

Oddly enough, my six-year old daughter LOVES Boomer Sooner. She used to dance and run around in circles when she heard it. Sure hope I don't have to put her in the yard on January 8th.

1890MilesToNorman
12/9/2008, 10:21 AM
During my Sunday pool tournament 2 weeks ago I was talking to the only Gator fan I know about the possibility of an OU-FU NCG, I asked him if he might be interested in watching the game together if that happened. He was bluntly honest and said you don't want to be around me if that happens, I bought him a beer and we played out the tournament. At least this one was honest!

OUinFLA
12/9/2008, 10:25 AM
Welcome Mr2Cents, from a Sooner fan in Lakeland.
Apparently you have been around here a long time according to your post count.
I read some nice comments about you on Gatorsports and Gatorfans this past weekend, complementing your farking ability and levelheadedness in discussing opponents.
I'm trying to not even talk football to my best friend who is a 60 year Gator fan, as nothing I say makes him see the light............ well, nothing he says works for me either :D
Everyone in my Sunday School class was asking us on Sunday if we two were going to watch the game together? I answered "NO, cause I need my basketfull of nerf balls to throw at the screen" and didn't really want anyone from my Church hear the language I have been known to use during stressful times of OU football.
So, we talk about fishing instead.

soonerbrat
12/9/2008, 10:48 AM
my boyfriend's brother and sister are both Florida grads. His dad is an OU alum, but has been living in florida for 25 years and having 2 kids that graduated from Florida has made him a Florida fan. - we are staying with the brother in Orlando that weekend. Hope it doesn't get ugly.

tbl
12/9/2008, 11:02 AM
Exception: FSU. Nothing FSU does is "fair, right, sportsmanlike, or legal" It is a hate far in excess of OU/texas. I don't know any Fla fan who ever wishes FSU does well in any game of football they play, no matter who it is they are playing against. They are...."for Florida and whoever is playing against FSU", every weekend of the season.

This is the way it should be for OU/Texas, but inexplicably there are OU fans here that will root for Texas on occasion... which still baffles me.

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 11:09 AM
Welcome Mr2Cents, from a Sooner fan in Lakeland.....

Thanks, neighbor! I'm about an hour down the road in Treasure Island. I nodded my head all the way through the second paragraph. I maintain civil relationships with numerous Nole and Cane fans, but it's not wise be in the same place when our teams play each other.

I still remember the '96 'Fiasco' Bowl against the Huskers like it happened last week and have no qualms in admitting I'm plenty nervous about this year's title game. Having followed Stoops' tenure at Florida with great interest and enjoyment, I am very familiar with his defensive prowess - not to mention he's complemented it with an offense that is more balanced and more explosive than anything the 'ol ball coach ever had.

Ungabunga
12/9/2008, 11:14 AM
Any gator board you go to will have its share of the obnoxious ones who think florida will win by 40. You'll have to just cut them some slack (meaning ignore them) since they are most likely the younger variant. However you should also find meaningful discourse regarding the matchup. You guys have a great program and quality coach. I'm really looking forward to this game.

O-town Gator
12/9/2008, 11:19 AM
gatorenvy.com

they seem respectful.

I will try to get some over here.

Thanks - I'm one of the mods at Gator Envy; we're a Gator site that welcomes mature sports discussion and not trash talk. We also welcome Sooner fans to come join our discussions!

Like Mr2Cents said, Florida has some great fans and because of the fact that Bob Stoops was a part of the Gator coaching staff from 1996-98 which included our first National Championship team, we have a lot of respect for him and what he did for our program. True we have some jerks in our fanbase as well, but that holds true for any team. Those of us old enough to remember the 0-10-1 season under Charley Pell back in 1979 aren't as jaded as some of the younger Gator fans.

Looking forward to a great game on January 8!

tpapablo
12/9/2008, 11:32 AM
We aren't a bad lot. Generally speaking, SEC teams have large followings of passionate, knowledgable fans. That results from the many years of SEC football being the only game in the whole region. Traditions die slowly in the South. Florida fans fit into that general mold. We have a vast fan base, many of whom have followed the Gators their entire lives. We are passionate and loyal. We fill our stadium and travel well. We like to talk about our football (and basketball as of recent times). Do we have our jack-asses? Sure. Anytime you gather tens of thousand of people together and get them liquored up, you are going to have a few trouble-makers. I have had a few run-ins with drunk, obnoxious Gator fans myself. But most of us would love nothing more than to share a beer with opposing fans and talk football. Hell, my brother and I stood out in the cold for 2 hours after the SECCG talking to a couple of Bama fans about the game, the future of both programs and the BCS (they wished us luck in beating OU - "make the SEC proud"). Are we arrogant? Not the older fans (like me). We have seen far too much to get arrogant. The younger ones who came aboard after Spurrier arrived are probably a bit arrogant. They have never known a losing season or not going to a bowl game.

Oh, and the "jort" thing. Well, fellows, if you have ever had to sit through a 1 o'clock game in Gainesville on a hot, muggy September day, you should be glad we aren't showing up butt-naked. As it is, we do what we have to do.

The game: I am expecting one for the ages. As I see it, both offenses will get their points. I think it will come down to which defense can slow the opposing offense down the most. The thing OU should be most worried about is Tebow. Since the Ole Miss game (and the speech that followed that game) he has been a man possessed. If you saw the SECCG, you would know what I mean.

Sooner in Tampa
12/9/2008, 11:33 AM
Well, I have lived in Tampa for a almost 9 years. The majority of the fans here are part of the Gator Mafia. There are a few Noles...and even fewer obnoxious ******* Cane fans.

The Gator fans are pretty decent...for the most part. Of course they have their 10%. They are a very arrogant and cocky bunch and tend to think of themselves in the same category as other blueblood schools.

As you can imagine; talk radio is littered with the usual crap...UF will beat the crap out of us...we have not seen a Defense as good as UF's...we can't stop Tebow...the SEC is superior is EVERYWAY to the Big XII...Bob has lost the last 4 BCS games...yada yada yada

I just want the game to be played...I am already sick of the crap, I will probably have to stop listening to sports talk radio for a while.

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 11:33 AM
You guys have a great program and quality coach. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Likewise. I've really enjoyed this board over the years - especially coming over to rubberneck at your wisecracks & farks during rivalry weeks.

Hopefully, we'll show our good side over the next month and beyond as well. Ignoring the hardliners predicting a blowout is probably best. To quote a line from Stoops' favorite movie, "some men you just can't reach." Personally, I could see this game being anything from a shootout to a shocking low-scoring affair to a white-knuckler decided by a missed kick in triple overtime.

Cheers!
\\hoists a tall glass of Pepto

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 11:42 AM
Well, I have lived in Tampa for almost 9 years.

I just want the game to be played...I am already sick of the crap, I will probably have to stop listening to sports talk radio for a while.

Oh man ... I can't imagine what you must be going through. We probably listen to the same radio programs and most of the pro-UF callers that get air time make me cringe.

I keep hearing about Stoops' recent record in BCS games and how the SEC has gone 4 for 4 in BCS title games and you have to figure it might just be time for the law of averages to rear its head.

gatorCHOMP
12/9/2008, 11:45 AM
When you have a program with relatively recent success, you have some pretty hard-core fans that's been in drought for literally thier entire lives. The will live and die Gator... and they don't forget who brought them there.

Then you have some FSU bleed over starting in the 90's. Those are different fans.

badger
12/9/2008, 11:48 AM
Wow... 2cents leaves the Fark Board.
http://i35.tinypic.com/149uv85.jpg

;)

divealso
12/9/2008, 12:02 PM
As a Gator Fan that is new to your site, I will give you my insight on Gator fans. The majority of us love football and most things Gator football. There are the few out there that leave a lot to be desired.
I am also a Bob Stoops fan--he came from Florida. I am looking to see a well played, competitive ball game--which I hope the Gators win.
If the Sooners win, I will never hear the end of it from my sons girl friend--she is a die-hard Sooner--and a great person.
Good luck and I will be checking this board for updates.
(Heisman--either Teebow or Bradford)

Sooner in Tampa
12/9/2008, 12:02 PM
Oh man ... I can't imagine what you must be going through. We probably listen to the same radio programs and most of the pro-UF callers that get air time make me cringe.

1010 in the afternoon...The Killer B's.

And the nasty *** canes fans sweating us is probably the most nauseating part of all...kinda like sexat fans going to Gator boards.

spencebutz
12/9/2008, 12:09 PM
Hello Sooner Fans.
I am a Gator Alum from the late 60's early 70's. Just like in all sports (especially football) we have our share of fans that are obnoxious and unreasonable. We don't hold the patent on assholishness. Yes we are proud of our team and school and conference. Yes we do have a repetitive song that we sing often. It can't be as offensive or obnoxious as FSU's chop chant or the constant playing of Rocky Top in Tennessee.
Naturally, I believe the Gators will win the MNC game. If I didn't believe it, what kind of fan would I be. However, I don't believe it will be a blowout and if the Sooner's win, I would not be surprised. You all have a great team and coach. Stoops, as you know, was our defensive coordinator during our first national championship season. And if you remember we tried to lure him back to Gainesville as HC after Spurrier left. I have nothing but respect for your team.
I am originally from West Palm Beach and for those who think South Florida is Cane territory, you should know that there are more Gator Alum in south Florida than Canes or Seminoles combined. Neither team sells out their stadiums on a regular basis. I bought tickets for the FSU- Gator game in Tallahassee at the box office the day of the game.
All that said, I hope for an epic struggle for the National Championship. I
wish good luck, but not too much.

Go Gators

Jason White's Third Knee
12/9/2008, 12:10 PM
Ive been there most of the evening . Like you said Most are Great Fans . Some are A-holes .
Kinda Like here :D

Someone call me?

fadada1
12/9/2008, 12:12 PM
i did my masters at UF, so i spent 2 years thrown into the mix with gator fans. i was always a semi-fan of the gators growing up, so it wasn't/isn't hard to pull for them. of course, i will always be a SOONER more than anything, but UF is an easy 2nd.

i will say this, it is tough for gator fans to realize that before spurrier got there, they were just an OK team (with the occasional good season). charlie pell is still looked on with some respect, but he did get them into trouble with the ncaa a time or two. before spurrier played there, they were pretty much non-existent.

i will say that the majority of the fan base seemed to take on the personality of coach spurrier - arrogant, but not over the top; cocky, but not too crazy. they need to be reminded of their short football history - but seldom listen. out of the 3 major schools, UF has the most intelligent fan base and definitely love the gators. fsu fans are basically bama fans that can't locate alabama on a map, and it was easier to do the tomahawk chop. miami fans (the 2 dozen they have) could care less about anything related to the university.

don't try to argue about crowd noise with gators. it's as bad as arguing anything with horn fans. nobody can get within 30 decibels of the swamp - according to them. i've been to tennessee games and fsu games in the swamp - owen field is louder!!! maybe not sustained loud, but louder in spurts.

they have their quirky traditions - mr. 2bits, the gator chomp, the silly little jingle that you hear the band play at all sec schools, etc... overall, good fans with a ton of school pride. much like OU without the years of football tradition.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/9/2008, 12:30 PM
We aren't a bad lot. Generally speaking, SEC teams have large followings of passionate, knowledgable fans. That results from the many years of SEC football being the only game in the whole region.

Ok, but if I hear that OU would go 6-6 in the sec one ****ing time, I say ban your ***!

I set a record for getting thrown out of a bar in New Orleans because of that. The OU/texas game was coming on, so I head to a bar to watch it with my buddies. An lsu fan was there to watch the lsu/gator game. I walk in, the guy sees my hat and starts in with the "OU isn't all that great..." and "...would go 6-6 in the sec..." I couldn't take it ( had a big smile on my face before that. Really!) and I told him that I didn't want to talk and just wanted to beat his sorry, redneck ***. The bartendr told me to back off and since he was wearing a Bama hat, I asked him if that just earned him another championship.

2 minutes.

Game over.

O-town Gator
12/9/2008, 12:32 PM
i will say this, it is tough for gator fans to realize that before spurrier got there, they were just an OK team (with the occasional good season). charlie pell is still looked on with some respect, but he did get them into trouble with the ncaa a time or two. before spurrier played there, they were pretty much non-existent.

After 1979, Charley Pell started raising the bar as far as Florida football goes (a popular bumper sticker read "Give 'Em Hell Pell"); what led to his demise what that he didn't run his program clean, then he was fired and wound up getting the Gators put on probation. Galen Hall did OK, but he committed a small sin that wasn't kosher as far as the NCAA was concerned and ultimately lost his job. The one SEC championship we did win prior to Steve Spurrier taking over in the early 90's was stripped due to our being on probation.

gatorCHOMP
12/9/2008, 12:34 PM
You're right... It's an off year in the SEC.

OU would go 8-3.

1890MilesToNorman
12/9/2008, 12:37 PM

OU would go 8-3.

Now your teetering on the edge young fella? :P Keep the insults to a minimum and you'll do fine over here.

Sooner in Tampa
12/9/2008, 12:55 PM

OU would go 8-3.
Yeah...because UGA, Tenn, Ken, USC, Vandy, and Arkie really put the fear into us.

OH...and let's not forget about that I-AA powerhouse Citadel.

gatorCHOMP
12/9/2008, 01:03 PM
Ha.. that was my one, quick cheap jab. Let's talk football now.

What in the world are you guys going to do at backer? I heard you had an ex-construction worker there now. Tebow loves to run when the middle gets vacant. Just wondering, since it appears OU hates going nickel or dime. No fast LB there now, so what's the plan.

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 01:04 PM
comment redacted.

texas bandman
12/9/2008, 01:04 PM
If you guys want to get into a ****in' contest go to the smack board. :D

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 01:06 PM

What in the world are you guys going to do at backer? I heard you had an ex-construction worker there now. Tebow loves to run when the middle gets vacant. Just wondering, since it appears OU hates going nickel or dime. No fast LB there now, so what's the plan.

Stoops thinks Austin Box will be ready to go for the game.

Vs. Missouri Balogin didn't play a whole lot. Travis Lewis slid over to MLB and Nic Harris came down from safety.

OUinFLA
12/9/2008, 01:09 PM
I just read through Gatorenvy.com and it seems to be a reasonable place to talk football, if you're not a jerk. (JWTK take note :D)
Kinda like "most" of the threads here. a**holiness begats a**holiness.

Just like us feeling unappreciated for our defense and our conference's high scoring capabilities, the members of that board feel their stout defense and speed will contain our scoring. And of course there is no way we will convence them that Bradford is the best qb in the country, as they feel they have one that is slightly better. Unlike the other gator boards I have read where they feel like Bradford is Pop Warner league and Teabow is Superman.

Anyway, seems lile a decent place to register and speak your mind, but not your jacka**ery. They seem to respond in kind.

OUinFLA
12/9/2008, 01:20 PM

Austin Box should be healthy to play at linebacker. Our "construction worker" is a remarkable story in desire, perserverance and attitude, you might want to read up on his "story". He is no hot headed youngster, he's 24 I think.

However, we have 3 LB's other than those two who have made great strides in the MLB spot, they were forced into that position with the loss of our All-everybody's MLB Ryan Reynolds that went down with his 2nd knee injury in the Texas game. It seems we were unprepared to substitute someone in there that was qualified to fill the position and Texas was able to exploit his absence in the 4th quarter. It's really a shame as Reynolds was our team defensive leader and it left a gap that was unfillable during the game.

Since that time, the staff has found ways to overcome that defect in our MLB position, and within two weeks we put a hurt on the TTU offensive jugernaut that was very adept at passing into the MLB spot. Once that game was played, I quit worrying about the MLB spot..........until Box also got hurt. Now, again, I belive the staff has repaired the situation with our "construction worker" Bolunga(sp?) showing great moves in a short time at the position. Then in the Conference game I noticed that the coaching staff was shuffling 3 different players into that position depending on how they thought Missouri was going to play the down. Chase Daniels is ordinarily a pretty effective qb in exploiting the middle of the defense. I didnt think we got extraordinary pressure on Daniels with our defensive line, but, he didnt make those passes into the middle like he is accustomed to. So, I can only feel that the defensive scheme and the player shuffling was the effective answer.

So, to answer your question, is it a concern to us fans about our MLB position, well....... for me, no.

Sooner in Tampa
12/9/2008, 01:26 PM
^^^^^^^^ Dude...cliff notes please....I have A.D.D.

ecogator
12/9/2008, 01:31 PM
Having spent time in Gainesville, I am less then impressed with their fans. The word that comes to my mind is arrogance and believing they are owed a championship, but then I don't care for Urban Meyers and his pulling strings to get this players out of trouble -- all of a sudden a strong case will disappear. Since it happened on my three visits, I would say the probability of it going on more often is very high. Even in the restaurants there is an arrogance about FL and the SEC from patrons and their looking down at other schools especially the Big 12. You can hear it when you are sitting having dinner. There is only one football conference and it is the SEC. FL fans I met in Gainesville remind me of TX fans only worse.

It's Urban Meyer, try to learn the name of the coach of the team you'll be playing.

Arrogance?? Please don't hate us because we are beautiful.

The Miami fan base is pretty small unless they are winning regularly, which hasn't been the case in some time. Being the flagship university in the State of Florida, expect to be residing within the Gator Nation even in South Florida.

When is the wagon train pulling out of Norman?

cpayan
12/9/2008, 01:39 PM
Being the flagship university in the State of Florida, expect to be residing within the Gator Nation even in South Florida. Absolutely true. Miami's going to be as Gainesville-esque as it can be, what with all the alumni in the area, all the student a mere 5-6 hours away, and of course, all the Miami sports fans looking for a winner to go for.

O-town Gator
12/9/2008, 01:43 PM
but then I don't care for Urban Meyers and his pulling strings to get this players out of trouble -- all of a sudden a strong case will disappear. Since it happened on my three visits, I would say the probability of it going on more often is very high.

Just this year, Coach Meyer dismissed three players from the team (Ronnie Wilson, Jacques Rickerson and Cam Newton) for serious rule infractions, so he isn't exactly soft on discipline compared to how Ron Zook was.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 01:46 PM
Heh. I remember the Zooker and the team getting into a scrap at one of the fraternity houses.

Hadn't heard anything about Meyer putting up with criminal behavior.

Cameron Newton should spend more time practicing throwing footballs, not laptops.

OUinFLA
12/9/2008, 01:49 PM
^^^^^^^^ Dude...cliff notes please....I have A.D.D.

then read it in 4 sessions in between snack breaks.

hillbilly.

:D

Mr2Cents
12/9/2008, 01:49 PM
Cameron Newton should spend more time practicing throwing footballs, not laptops.

.... or at least improve his aim. Some of us have sardonically chuckled that Tebow or Brantley probably would have made the completion into the dumpster from the same distance.

soonermix
12/9/2008, 01:52 PM
Every single Gator fan, young and old alike sang the "It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's Great to be, a Flori..." ad nauseum.

and nobody in the history of the world has ever gotten tired of...

BOOMER!

SOONER!

;)

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 01:52 PM
.... or at least improve his aim. Some of us have sardonically chuckled that Tebow or Brantley probably would have made the completion into the dumpster from the same distance.

Who are you trying to kid?

Tebow would have just tucked the laptop and lumbered his way through the wall. :D

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 01:54 PM
And I ain't going to fault Urb for recruiting Newton at all. As I recall, we were on him pretty hot and heavy when Bomar was asked to leave.

O-town Gator
12/9/2008, 01:56 PM
Heh. I remember the Zooker and the team getting into a scrap at one of the fraternity houses.

Hadn't heard anything about Meyer putting up with criminal behavior.

That "Fratgate" episode at the Pi Kappa Phi house was downright embarrassing, not only for Zook but for our football team and UF as a whole. Instead of diffusing the situation like he was asked to do, he started dropping the "f" bomb and making threats to some of the brothers in that house. It could have turned uglier than it was.

Meyer has zero tolerance for anything he deems serious (carrying weapons, stealing, not telling the truth, violence against women, drugs) and those offenses usually wind up getting a player kicked off our team.

Frozen Sooner
12/9/2008, 01:58 PM
Wait, he got in a fight with Boy Pi Phis?

Wow, that IS embarassing. ;)

O-town Gator
12/9/2008, 02:03 PM
Wait, he got in a fight with Boy Pi Phis?

Wow, that IS embarassing. ;)

Trust me, I was a VERY happy Gator fan on 10/25/04 (the day Zook got fired) :)

OUMallen
12/9/2008, 02:12 PM

I did. They were consistently bad.

SOONERxWife73
12/9/2008, 06:29 PM
carry on, please. kinda enjoying this thread.

StrikePackageGator
12/9/2008, 08:54 PM
Like all fan bases there are different "classes" of fans. I am sure OU has it share as does Texas and Tex Tech etc.... Here I am a guest and I expect to act and to be treated as such. You don't go popping your mouth off in someone else's house. I would expect that you won't head over to Gatorcountry.com talking smack as I wouldn't here. Hell, I respect the hell out of Coach Stoops and happen to have a good friend that knew him in Youngstown, Ohio when his Pop's coached at Cardinal Mooney High. (OSU Fan and a confused sort). Bobby Stoops helped us win our first MNC in 1996 against our most hated rival reF$U! Most Gators that were at UF during that magical time know that he was a CRUCIAL part of that magical first MNC.

Our history doesn't go anywhere near as long as your program but, we like to think that we can compete every year for the MNC. I think Coach Meyer is the right fit for our program and I know that Coach Meyer went to Florida over ND because of a conversation he had with Bob Stoops. Bob told him he loved his time in "Hogtown" and that he had found his calling at OU but, he loved Gainesville. We also thank Coach Stoops for that.

The majority of UF fans that actually attended the University are very cordial. While I believe that you don't have to have a degree from UF to be a Gator, one rule of thumb is the smack talkers are usually high school kids or non graduates.

I look forward to a great clean fun game and to the "zebras" letting the fellas handle it on the field. GO GATORS!

StrikepackageGator:D

AZOUFan
12/10/2008, 01:33 AM

PM sent...

12/10/2008, 02:42 AM
I've been to many different stadiums around the nation and have determined that the worst fans are A: drunk, B: young, C: Male. My experience among the general fan base is the same, no matter the venue. Most people are grown-ups and realize it is a game.

My apologies to the well-behaving drunk, young males among us.

That said, the LSU crowd sucks butt.

gator.net
12/10/2008, 03:31 AM
We're not too bad. Hey OUinFLA, I am sure glad to have moved out of Polk County to get to Gainesville!

Sooner in Tampa
12/10/2008, 06:47 AM
then read it in 4 sessions in between snack breaks.

hillbilly.

:gary:

thx for the advice

O-town Gator
12/10/2008, 08:25 AM
Bobby Stoops helped us win our first MNC in 1996 against our most hated rival reF$U! Most Gators that were at UF during that magical time know that he was a CRUCIAL part of that magical first MNC.

Our history doesn't go anywhere near as long as your program but, we like to think that we can compete every year for the MNC. I think Coach Meyer is the right fit for our program and I know that Coach Meyer went to Florida over ND because of a conversation he had with Bob Stoops. Bob told him he loved his time in "Hogtown" and that he had found his calling at OU but, he loved Gainesville. We also thank Coach Stoops for that.

Agreed on all points; Urban Meyer and Bob Stoops seem to have a mutual respect for each other, and indeed the Meyers did inquire about their move to Gainesville with the Stoopses, for one.

Our first NC win in 1996 was very special, and since Bob Stoops was part of that coaching staff true Gator fans will always feel a sense of gratitude towards him for helping make that happen.

Besides a matchup on the playing field, this game will also be a battle of wits - Meyer and Stoops are two of the best coaches in all of present-day college football, as far as I'm concerned.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/10/2008, 03:08 PM
glad to see there are some sensible gator fans doing some posting here.

I'll just be happy if they arent LSU-like.

I can handle passion...or craziness about your team. Just that the LSU folk were obnoxious, rude and flat out insulting. Not just before the game, they were classless during and after the game....and more than just the "Tiger Bait" crap. Im talking personal insults and taunting.

Dont get me wrong...Im not thin skinned, just want to know what to expect.

O-town Gator
12/10/2008, 03:28 PM
I'll just be happy if they arent LSU-like.

I can handle passion...or craziness about your team. Just that the LSU folk were obnoxious, rude and flat out insulting. Not just before the game, they were classless during and after the game....and more than just the "Tiger Bait" crap. Im talking personal insults and taunting.

Dont get me wrong...Im not thin skinned, just want to know what to expect.

To Gator fans reading this, you're preaching to the choir - we know how obnoxious some LSU fans can be, especially after 2007 when somehow their fans obtained Tim Tebow's cell phone number and left him obscene messages.

Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama fans can be just as bad as far as the SEC goes, but then again there are good fans and idiots in every fanbase - including ours.

GatorTD
12/10/2008, 03:47 PM
There are three types of 'arrogant' fan bases.

Number One. The 'We've just recently had success, and we're going to enjoy it like we've always had it.' Miami and Florida (as much as I'd like to avoid saying it, I'm not a huge fan of our fan base sometimes) come to mind on this. Both programs were pretty much irrelevant nationally until the 80s-90s.

Number Two. The 'We've always been good, and we're going to let you know about it.' Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan (not this year), ect.

Number Three. Texas.

olevetonahill
12/10/2008, 03:51 PM

Number One. The 'We've just recently had success, and we're going to enjoy it like we've always had it.' Miami and Florida (as much as I'd like to avoid saying it, I'm not a huge fan of our fan base sometimes) come to mind on this. Both programs were pretty much irrelevant nationally until the 80s-90s.

Number Two. The 'We've always been good, and we're going to let you know about it.' Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan (not this year), ect.

Number Three. Texas.

I like yer thinkin .:D

O-town Gator
12/10/2008, 04:05 PM

That, and: "We're trying to find the next best thing to a legendary coach and won't settle for anything less" - as I see it Bama still lives in the shadow of Bear Bryant, Notre Dame in Knute Rockne, and Michigan in Bo Schembeckler.

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 04:27 PM
I could respond in a number of ways. Florida, like most schools, has a bunch of great fans and some that are ... well ... not exactly great. I have heard complaints about LSU fans more than any other school, but we do play them every year, so I am going to hear more about their fans than, say, Bama or Auburn fans. Personally, I have never seen any overwhelming indication than they are anything other than rabid fans like we all have, with their fair share of jackasses. I could be wrong, but I have been to Baton Rouge at least 5 or 6 times, plus home games against them another dozen, so I think I have seen enough to formulate an opinion. Tennessee is the rivalry which has the most intense fan factor for us. I think much of it is hyped up nonsense. There was a game in the nineties where rumors or "urine cups" swirled around. I have never encountered anyone on either side that had any first hand experience at all. But with Tennessee and Florida jockeying for the SEC east, and the likely BCS bid that comes with it, obviously the rivalry remains especially intense. When Spurrier was here, he took special pride in beating Tennessee and that certainly did nothing but fan the flames. I am sure you have heard some of his lines, but among them was that "you can't wpell Citrus without UT," in reference to Tennessee's streak of Citrus Bowl appearances. It continued when he was at Washington and even after he returned to the SEC with South Carolina. In his first year as a gamecock, they upset Tennessee in Knoxville. Before the game, a street outside the stadium had been renamed Peyton Manning Drive and at halftime, Peyton's jersey was retired. After the game Spurrier was asked about the fact that Peyton never beat the Gators and now when he returned his team couldn't beat Spurrier. His response was a doozy. He said that not only that, but that when he was at Washington, the Redskins beat the Colts in an upset. He then said, "yeah, he's our lucky charm. Maybe we should take him wherever we go to play." Vintage Spurrier!

Sorry about the long post, but the bottom line is that we are just like you. The vast majority of fans will get along and have a great time until the game starts. After that, one side will be significantly happier, but for the most part, classy either way.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/10/2008, 04:31 PM

Number Three. Texas.

Bingo!

tommieharris91
12/10/2008, 04:49 PM

Number Two. The 'We've always been good, and we're going to let you know about it.' Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan (not this year), Oklahoma, ect.

Number Three. Texas.

Just needed a little tweak, but still a nice post.

HiFiGator
12/10/2008, 05:35 PM
One more note about LSU fans: there is one exception that I have heard, and it was the '97 game. We had won the National Championship the year before, and went to Baton Rouge ranked #1. They beat us and from everyone I have talked to, they were downright rude and obnoxious. A really good friend of mine made a "Work 'em Silly Gators!" banner and he proudly hangs it at almost every game. Another friend of mine was at that '97 LSU game and I remember him telling me about seeing LSU fans tearing up his banner. This "banner" is actually homemade from a bed sheet and spray paint, so it isn't just some piece of cardboard. The funny part was that neither I nor Gator Dave knew Work 'em Silly Gators at that point. I met him the next year and then during baseball season the next year the two of them met, and Gator Dave was talking to him about how upset he was seeing them ripping up his banner and WES was trying to save it. The consensus from that game was that they were rabidly unruly, behaving in an almost tribalist fashion.

Don't expect that from us Gators!

soonerboomer93
12/10/2008, 05:37 PM
Heh. I thought the band kinda wore it out against WVU last year, but we hear much worse (see my comments about the warchant and Rocky Top).

Oddly enough, my six-year old daughter LOVES Boomer Sooner. She used to dance and run around in circles when she heard it. Sure hope I don't have to put her in the yard on January 8th.

here's to hoping your daughter is absolutely worn out and in bed by about 9pm that night

Mr2Cents
12/11/2008, 01:00 PM
here's to hoping your daughter is absolutely worn out and in bed by about 9pm that night

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. :D

I seem to recall the OU band was still in full spirit during the end of last year's bowl game, too. I kid, I kid (braces for an avalanche of negative spek). ;)

Expounding on what's been previously stated, you'll probably get different reactions from different age groups in the Florida fan base:

The over-40 crowd will probably be the most palatable. They endured the lean years prior to Charley Pell's arrival and most remain humble about Florida's accomplishments over the past two decades.

Folks in their 30's (like myself) who were privy to Spurrier's juggernauts during the 90's will probably carry a little more swagger and attitude. However, we also bore witness to the defensive transformation under one Bob Stoops that was instrumental in Florida's first national title, which lends us to treat Stoops and the Sooners with a degree of reverence.

The under-30 crowd: not entirely bad, but there are many who are ignorant of our runner-up roots and would have you believe Florida is the best program in the history of man. Forgive these types, as they know not what they speak.

If it's not been said already, thank you all for being gracious hosts and allowing our opinions. In my encounters with opposing fanbases leading up to a title game, this one has been the most enjoyable.

badger
12/11/2008, 01:14 PM
If it's not been said already, thank you all for being gracious hosts and allowing our opinions. In my encounters with opposing fanbases leading up to a title game, this one has been the most enjoyable.

How soon until this migrates to the fark board? :)

CivilLitiGator
12/11/2008, 03:57 PM
I like to think we are a decent bunch. Obviously, every fanbase has members they would like to disown. A few points:
1.) New Money: I am in my 20s and have been a Gators fan all my life, so to me the Gators have always been a powerhouse. While I understand the more tradition-rich programs (like OU) poking fun at the Gators' short history of successes, we have come on the scene hard and fast. With four straight SEC Titles in the early 90s, the '96 and '06 National Championships, and the B-ball, Football, B-ball trifecta of National Champtionships, I have no qualms with saying the Gators are one of the truly elite programs in the country (Along with OU, of course).
2.) Big XII Offense/SEC Defense: We say you play no defense, you say we play no offense. Let's split the difference somewhere in the middle. The OU games that I have watched all involved Bradford playing with what seemed like a non-contact jersey on. He had all day back there. If UF gives him that much time, then OU will get their 40+ and it will be a long day for Gators fans. Also, I also see OU WRs and TEs catching the ball fairly often with a 4-yard circle of space around them. To me, it seems like some of the defenders are abiding by elementary school rules and are afraid to invade the 'personal space' of your offensive players. It could be good route-running, I don't know. One thing is for sure, I know OU plays defense. I am not sure about other schools in the BIGXII, but I know that OU has the athletes and the gameplan to play sound defense.
3.) I lost track of what the F I am talking about. Sorry guys, I gotta go back to work.
Gators fans are decent people for the most part. It's gonna be a GREAT game 40 something to 30 something, somebody wins.
OUT.