Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gator Fans?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gator Fans?

Does anyone know what kind of fans they are??

Meaning.... are they like Nebraska and Tex A&M fans...who overall are pretty good sports win or lose?

Are they Like Whorn Fans....who woulda, shoulda, coulda won every game and natl title since 1945, and think we are all envious of their big campus

OR are they like the LSU fans, who act like drunk obnoxious jackasses before during and after the game? ( Is LSU behavior an LSU thing, or an SEC thing)???

vCash

Re: Gator Fans?

I remember hearing from more than a few LSU fans down in New Orleans something along the lines of 'you think we're bad, Florida fans are much worse.' Of course they're rivals, so if you asked a whorn about Sooner fans, they'd probably paint a very different picture than say a Bammer fan.

I would recommend proceeding with hopeful caution. Let their actions determine your opinion.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I first moved to Phoenix in 1996, Nebraska played Florida for the NC that year in the Fiesta Bowl. I hate Nebraska football, but my roommate and some friends were big Husker fans, so I went along. We pulled into the parking garage and a guy from Florida had written "Florida is going to beat Nebraska like Lawrence Phillips beats his girlfriend" in his back window. (NU running back, arrested, suspended, reinstated for domestic violence right before the game). In the 1/2 mile walk from the garage to a bar on Mill Ave. I had turned into a Husker fan and bought a Nebraska shirt and hat to wear. Yes it burned my skin but it was worth it to ensure I wasn't associated with the classless band of drunk college idiots who's sole purpose in life was to yell and curse as loudly as possible.

Every single Gator fan, young and old alike sang the "It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's Great to be, a Flori..." ad nauseum. The bar we sat in was split down the middle just like the Cotton Bowl, and it was UGLY. The loudest, most obnoxious jerk fans in the world on that side. We're gonna spank you losers, Nebraska sucks, Tommy Frazier sucks, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator...man, I'm getting mad just reflecting on it now.

So as you know, Nebraska THROTTLED them 63 - 24 or something, don't remember, it was ugly. And perhaps that's why, they were so gracious in defeat. Not a peep, not a fight (that I saw), nothing. We were walking down Mill Ave. afterwards screaming in a drunken stupor and a carload of Gator fans simply smiled, shrugged their shoulders as if to say "yep, we got humiliated". Now, what would it have been like if the score was reversed? I predict an LA Riots type of scene.

12 years ago, a cross country trip and my lasting impression is that Gator fans by and large (yes I'm generalizing, pardon me) were back in the day, a bunch of classless jerks. I can't imagine how bad it might be on their home turf. Sorry to be a downer, maybe someone has a nicer story.

PS - I threw away the shirt and hat in the dumpster outside our apartment when we returned home that evening. Don't want anyone thinking badly of me here.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OK2LA's Avatar
    vCash

I hear that they are big fans of jorts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Pryor View Post
    Rough day. Prior to today, Brown was at the helm of the 2 most embarrassing and humiliating losses in the history of Texas football. Black Saturdays I and II: outscored 128 to 27. Inexcusable games. Nothing, ever, will change that. Simply the 2 lowest moments in the history of our program. Our most bitter, hated, loathed and despised rival completely rap*ng our ***, having mercy on us, and running the ball into the line to avoid scoring 70. I never thought I'd see another Black Saturday. Wrong.

vCash

Anyone got a Link to their message Brd ?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerinSouthlake View Post
    Meaning.... are they like Nebraska and Tex A&M fans...who overall are pretty good sports win or lose?
    Apparently you didn't go to college station in 2000 or the big 12 championship game in 2006.

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

We've got 15 Million people down here. 60% of the football fans are Gators.
    All the ones I know are respectful, love Bob Stoops, know a lot about football, but still believe the SEC is the best conference. They think it will be a "decent" game, but don't believe the Big XII knows a thing about defense.

However, like any fan base with several million fans, there will be a large number of .......... "football idiots"......... if OU wins they will have many excuses, if Florida wins they will say " I told you so".

The friends I have here don't behave that way. They don't make excuses, and they expect to win every game. But when they don't they are gracious and complementary of the opponent who beat them. Exception: FSU. Nothing FSU does is "fair, right, sportsmanlike, or legal" It is a hate far in excess of OU/texas. I don't know any Fla fan who ever wishes FSU does well in any game of football they play, no matter who it is they are playing against. They are...."for Florida and whoever is playing against FSU", every weekend of the season.

Now as to who shows up in Ft Lauderdale for the game. I wouldnt be to concerned that Gator fans will rule the area before or after the game. Because, now you are in Hurricane Country, and the fan base south of West Palm Beach is overwhelmingly Miami fans, and they hope Florida gets tosted in the game. They would like to think they are Florida's bitter rival, but that honor belongs to FSU.

It is NOT like OU going to the Sugar Bowl and playing LSU.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

They're somewhat justifiably arrogant. Their opinion of the relative merits of their football team is a bit inflated (remember how Bob Stoops was going to jump at the chance to coach them?)

There's a big group of Gator fans who hang out at the same sports bar we do. For the most part they've been pretty cool. A lot of that probably has something to do with never playing each other.

Kind of a neauveau-riche fanbase. Reminds me in some respects of Missouri fan with an actual history of winning.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner59's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnnamedSooner View Post
    Apparently you didn't go to college station in 2000 or the big 12 championship game in 2006.
    I never had a single problem with Nebraska in 2006, I actually gained respect for them. All of their fans were nice to me before the game, and after the game I got nothing but congratulations and good luck in the Fiesta Bowl.

Kilgore,Tx---home of the 2004 Texas State 4A Champs
    vCash

The Florida board that I go to.

gatorcountry.com

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerMom2's Avatar
    vCash

Having spent time in Gainesville, I am less then impressed with their fans. The word that comes to my mind is arrogance and believing they are owed a championship, but then I don't care for Urban Meyers and his pulling strings to get this players out of trouble -- all of a sudden a strong case will disappear. Since it happened on my three visits, I would say the probability of it going on more often is very high. Even in the restaurants there is an arrogance about FL and the SEC from patrons and their looking down at other schools especially the Big 12. You can hear it when you are sitting having dinner. There is only one football conference and it is the SEC. FL fans I met in Gainesville remind me of TX fans only worse.

The good news is where we are going is Miami territory and they hate FL.

2013 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Osce0la's Avatar
    vCash

Depends on who you ask...I will keep my opinions to myself though because I am more than a little biased
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Besides, a bitch gotta party, yo.

Sooner Benchwarmer SoonerEmpire's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMom2 View Post
    The good news is where we are going is Miami territory and they hate FL.
    Miami fans hate us too. I wonder who Miami fans will be pulling for since they hate both schools and both schools hate them? Granted, Hurricane country is used to us being in Miami for the bowl season throughout the years but still...

Should be interesting times in South Beach the first week of the new year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Osce0la View Post
    Depends on who you ask...I will keep my opinions to myself though because I am more than a little biased
    REALLY? Never would have guessed

We just might as well acquiesce to the fact that the worst team in the SEC would WHIP anyone in the NFL

vCash

I met a buncha travellin' Gator fans in Knoxville this year.
    Decent bunch as far as I'm concerned.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by AZOUFan View Post
    I first moved to Phoenix in 1996, Nebraska played Florida for the NC that year in the Fiesta Bowl. I hate Nebraska football, but my roommate and some friends were big Husker fans, so I went along. We pulled into the parking garage and a guy from Florida had written "Florida is going to beat Nebraska like Lawrence Phillips beats his girlfriend" in his back window. (NU running back, arrested, suspended, reinstated for domestic violence right before the game). In the 1/2 mile walk from the garage to a bar on Mill Ave. I had turned into a Husker fan and bought a Nebraska shirt and hat to wear. Yes it burned my skin but it was worth it to ensure I wasn't associated with the classless band of drunk college idiots who's sole purpose in life was to yell and curse as loudly as possible.

Every single Gator fan, young and old alike sang the "It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator, It's Great to be, a Flori..." ad nauseum. The bar we sat in was split down the middle just like the Cotton Bowl, and it was UGLY. The loudest, most obnoxious jerk fans in the world on that side. We're gonna spank you losers, Nebraska sucks, Tommy Frazier sucks, It's GREAT to be, a Florida Gator...man, I'm getting mad just reflecting on it now.

So as you know, Nebraska THROTTLED them 63 - 24 or something, don't remember, it was ugly. And perhaps that's why, they were so gracious in defeat. Not a peep, not a fight (that I saw), nothing. We were walking down Mill Ave. afterwards screaming in a drunken stupor and a carload of Gator fans simply smiled, shrugged their shoulders as if to say "yep, we got humiliated". Now, what would it have been like if the score was reversed? I predict an LA Riots type of scene.

12 years ago, a cross country trip and my lasting impression is that Gator fans by and large (yes I'm generalizing, pardon me) were back in the day, a bunch of classless jerks. I can't imagine how bad it might be on their home turf. Sorry to be a downer, maybe someone has a nicer story.

PS - I threw away the shirt and hat in the dumpster outside our apartment when we returned home that evening. Don't want anyone thinking badly of me here.
    Okay, what am I missing here?

1) The lawrence phillips thing was inexcusable -- and Florida fans should've rubbed it into Nebraska fans' faces every chance they got.

2) They sing some song a lot? Seriously? Dude, do you have any idea how little other team's fans enjoy Boomer Sooner?

3) People were boisterous in a bar? Right before a ginormous bowl game? You think this would've been any different with any other team's fans?

4) So after the game's over, they're all real nice and *you* are the one screaming things to which they politely respond, "Yeah we got humiliated?"

Uhm... You make them sound like pretty decent fans. And you sound, well, kinda like a jerk in there. Either I'm missing something, or maybe you should re-write it a bit, explain what they did that you thought was worse than other fans, y'know?

For reference, here are some of the LSU "fan" behaviors I remember reading about after the Sugar Bowl:

1) Little kids running up screaming obscenities at OU fans. While their parents watched and laughed.

2) Endless taunting and jeering before and after the game.

3) Drinks thrown on OU fans.

4) Endless screams of "tiger bait, tiger bait", which ain't exactly a fight song -- it's just a rude taunt.

Far as I can tell, your Florida fans sang their song, yelled they were gonna win inside a bar, and were meek & friendly in defeat. If anything, you're sorta describing well-above-average fans. You can't hope for every game to be as friendly as Nebbish-OU fan relations usually are.

Drunky Town Limnologist Fraggle145's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK2LA View Post
    I hear that they are big fans of jorts

Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    your puny brain can't understand the awesomeness of God
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 westcoast_sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUinFLA View Post
    We've got 15 Million people down here. 60% of the football fans are Gators.
    All the ones I know are respectful, love Bob Stoops, know a lot about football, but still believe the SEC is the best conference. They think it will be a "decent" game, but don't believe the Big XII knows a thing about defense.

However, like any fan base with several million fans, there will be a large number of .......... "football idiots"......... if OU wins they will have many excuses, if Florida wins they will say " I told you so".

The friends I have here don't behave that way. They don't make excuses, and they expect to win every game. But when they don't they are gracious and complementary of the opponent who beat them. Exception: FSU. Nothing FSU does is "fair, right, sportsmanlike, or legal" It is a hate far in excess of OU/texas. I don't know any Fla fan who ever wishes FSU does well in any game of football they play, no matter who it is they are playing against. They are...."for Florida and whoever is playing against FSU", every weekend of the season.

Now as to who shows up in Ft Lauderdale for the game. I wouldnt be to concerned that Gator fans will rule the area before or after the game. Because, now you are in Hurricane Country, and the fan base south of West Palm Beach is overwhelmingly Miami fans, and they hope Florida gets tosted in the game. They would like to think they are Florida's bitter rival, but that honor belongs to FSU.

It is NOT like OU going to the Sugar Bowl and playing LSU.
    I just got back from Jacksonville the weekend of the Tech game, went for a relative's birthday party. They are Florida alums and love their Gators. Overall, I think their fans are OK. They expect to win every game they play. Spurrier really took that team and built it into a college football power. I think they respect Coach Stoops. We were at their house for the first half of the Tech game and they had it on for me (I'm the only Sooner in the group), so that was pretty cool.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner59 View Post
    I never had a single problem with Nebraska in 2006, I actually gained respect for them. All of their fans were nice to me before the game, and after the game I got nothing but congratulations and good luck in the Fiesta Bowl.
    Same here. I actually made friends with a family of dudes wearing only overalls, no shirts in the snow!
    he likes the fight in this post. he likes the resolve.

he'll take this post around and post it on any sucker's message board that's beat him 5 years in a row.

he learned stuff today.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

I lived in Florida for 11 years.

Gator fans were the only ones I could tolerate.

One of my good friends is a Florida alum. I called him early Sunday morning and we spent the next two hours giving reasons why the other's team was going to get their *** beat.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word