Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wyatt to SDSU?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Wyatt to SDSU?

talking with my uncle who is a longtime HS coach in Oklahoma and Texas, played for OU in the late 60's....and says of the most recent coaches clinics he's been to at OU that Wyatt was one of the more impressive young coaches he's seen.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

this may be a little controversial, but stoops has yet to promote a black assistant to coordinator. maybe they think they need to leave to get to the next level...

vCash

well, is he out of brothers and childhood buddies?

vCash

Not to mention the fact that Stoops has never promoted a parapalegic, left-handed, buddhist monk to a coordinator position either. I bet they would have to leave OU as well to get promoted.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

if sumlin moves into the passing game coordinator position, i'll stand corrected. however, he has hired/promoted a coordinator 5 times.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TXBOOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jdsmith
    haven't been impressed with the latest round of receivers. sure there are 1 or 2 that have stood out, but nothing like we had in 00-01-02. Perhaps a new coach would be good.

MK, JI and MJ are the best three true freshman WR's that I have ever seen on one team. At no time, have we had true freshaman WR's this talented. Wyatt is an outstanding recruiter and a great coach. I hope he stays right where he is at.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TXBOOMER's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
    this may be a little controversial, but stoops has yet to promote a black assistant to coordinator. maybe they think they need to leave to get to the next level...

I see your point. But, I would rather be the WR coach at OU than the OC at SDSU. Coach Wyatt will get his chance here if he is the best man for the job when the position is available. I think he believes that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    At the registration page taking my new name Readyfor9
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jdsmith
    haven't been impressed with the latest round of receivers. sure there are 1 or 2 that have stood out, but nothing like we had in 00-01-02. Perhaps a new coach would be good.
    You are an idiot. We just graduated the overall best group of recievers that the University of Oklahoma has ever seen. Fagan, Savage, and even Woolfolk were spectacular, but if they had 3 years under Wyatt they would be playing Sunday's now.

He is a great coach and will be missed, sorry to see him go. But, I expect many more coaching shakeups all over the College Ranks as soon as the NFL Coaches all pan out.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BASSooner's Avatar
    vCash

sooooooooooo that's it???? Wyatt is gone???

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Nope, at least not to SDSU.

OU assistant turns down Long's offer
    By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
    1/10/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Oklahoma assistant football coach Darrell Wyatt has turned down Chuck Long's offer to become offensive coordinator at San Diego State, but it remains unclear if Wyatt will stay at OU or pursue other options -- perhaps in the NFL.

Wyatt did not return messages left on his cell phone Monday, but Long confirmed that "Darrell is out" of consideration to join him at San Diego State.

"He just couldn't do it," Long said.

After four years as OU's offensive coordinator and six seasons as a Sooner assistant, Long was hired as the Aztecs' head coach on Dec. 17.

Wyatt joined the OU staff in 2002 and has been passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach under Long. He has tutored record-breaking receivers during four seasons in Norman.

Perhaps more importantly, Wyatt is a dynamic recruiter, instrumental is the Sooners' signing of many top players, including running back Adrian Peterson.

Last February, Wyatt, 38, turned down a job offer from the Green Bay Packers. But, with high coaching turnover among NFL teams this season, he has been reported as a candidate for a handful of openings.

Wyatt said last year that the NFL is "football at it's highest level,

but there's also a lot of enjoyment at our level, and a lot of enjoyment at the levels below us. I never want to try to get too far ahead of myself. There are some coaches that will say, 'I never want to coach in the NFL,' or, 'I never want to coach here.' I'm not one to say that. I started coaching football at Trinity Valley (Texas) Junior College. You just continue to work hard, and if you get opportunities, and if it's an opportunity you want to pursue, then you go that direction."

Long distance: Long, who was born in Norman and whose parents are OU alumni, said his mother and father "are excited about" his first head coaching job, even if that means his leaving their favorite school.

"I think they see it as, 'Hey, we can go down to San Diego.' I think they like that," Long said. "I know being an OU grad, my dad will still come to Oklahoma games. He has season tickets, so he wouldn't care where I was."

Sooner commitment: OU received its 25th verbal commitment on Sunday when defensive lineman Adrian Taylor of Mansfield, Texas, pledged. Taylor (6-4, 260) played defensive end in high school but could project as a tackle.

Taylor told recruiting service Scout.com that he chose OU over Texas A&M and UCLA.

Verbal commitments are nonbinding. Prospects can't sign letters of intent until the first day of the spring signing period, which this year is Feb. 1.

OU hopes to sign as many as four more high school players. The NCAA limit on initial scholarships is 25, but schools frequently oversign knowing some will not qualify academically and some may play elsewhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
    [email protected]

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

I've been hearing that the Chiefs are a bigger threat to take Wyatt than SDSU.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

There's another rumor about the Vikings. If he does leave, Art Kehoe should be the first guy Bob calls.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 The Consumate Showman's Avatar
    in the backfield with "indian" jack jacobs
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag
    There's another rumor about the Vikings. If he does leave, Art Kehoe should be the first guy Bob calls.

Didn't Art get fired by Cocker at Miami???
    I have too much sympathy for myself to feel any for you......

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

Yes.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 n8v_ndn's Avatar
    vCash

That's how I'm hoping for, Kehoe, but I also hope Coach Wyatt stays, our young WRs could use as much time w/ him as possible.
    "Texas is no closer to being a strong, physical team than it was before Mack’s proclamation he wanted to out-SEC his Big 12 opponents. OU owned both lines of scrimmage and, well, everything else. Texas remains a finesse team."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Wyatt is our best recruiter. I repeat, Wyatt is our best recruiter

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

No Wyatt = Sad NP
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

I honestly hope that Wyatt stays...but there is not one coach who is make or break for OUr staff...with the exception maybe of Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.