Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Construction @ I-35 & Robinson?

Does anyone know what is going to go up there? Are they going to tear down the dirt hill?

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Re: Construction @ I-35 & Robinson?

Yes. Super Target, among other things.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

I think its a shame that WWII-era firing range backstop is being leveled. It is a piece of Oklahoma and University history. An awful lot of young navy men who went out and helped win the war in the Pacific learned to shoot an M-1 and a M1911 automatic pistol at that exact spot.

I would hope they would at least try to save the concrete trench on the south side where the guys who marked and replaced the targets stood.

I guess we need really another big box retailer more. Of course, in 20 years when they decide to move to a different location because that location is all pitted-out and not economically feasible to renovate, we'll be left with a parking lot and an empty shell, but no historic remains of the former Navy firing range.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Partial Qualifier's Avatar
    vCash

I heard that they decided to leave the hill. And it would appear that's the case - they're prepping & smoothing out the surrounding area, if they planned to level the hill I'd guess they would've done that first.

as a kid, when we used to drive to OKC from Dallas, that hill was my landmark to let me know we'd arrived.....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nmsoonergirl's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    I think its a shame that WWII-era firing range backstop is being leveled. It is a piece of Oklahoma and University history. An awful lot of young navy men who went out and helped win the war in the Pacific learned to shoot an M-1 and a M1911 automatic pistol at that exact spot.

I would hope they would at least try to save the concrete trench on the south side where the guys who marked and replaced the targets stood.

I guess we need really another big box retailer more. Of course, in 20 years when they decide to move to a different location because that location is all pitted-out and not economically feasible to renovate, we'll be left with a parking lot and an empty shell, but no historic remains of the former Navy firing range.
    Homey, I generally LOVE your history lessons, but you clearly didn't do your research on this one. Growing up, my parents always told me the dirt mound was Bigfoot's grave. I know they wouldn't have lied to me about something so important.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerWood's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nmsoonergirl
    Homey, I generally LOVE your history lessons, but you clearly didn't do your research on this one. Growing up, my parents always told me the dirt mound was Bigfoot's grave. I know they wouldn't have lied to me about something so important.
    BIGFOOT DIED?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

sploosh...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nmsoonergirl's Avatar
    vCash

When I was six. Which was a lot of years ago. Don't know why they chose to bury him in Norman, but obviously they did. And of course they aren't going to dig up a stinky bigfoot grave just to build a Target.

Awesoministrator

vCash

No, no, no. Godzirra is buried there.

Awesoministrator

vCash

The development is called University North Park.

Norman Transcript article from September
    OU Daily article from July

If you want to read more about it, go to Norman Transcript and seach in the archives for 'TIF'.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

No, it's King Kong that's buried there. just wait until the new movie comes out, you'll all see that i'm right.
    When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OKC Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

I thought Jimmy Hoffa was buried there.
    There are three rules for winning a football game. Unfortunately, no one seems to know what they are.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

I am surprised the **** hasn't hit the fan about this stuff. I've been waiting for months.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUAndy1807
    I am surprised the **** hasn't hit the fan about this stuff. I've been waiting for months.
    If people really gave a crap about it, they wouldn't have left it an untoched hill of dirt for 30 (+?) years. We can't make every single thing a memorial. Not like we live in College Station or something.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OUAndy1807's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not talking about that stupid pile of dirt (), just about the development fo the land and the deals surrounding it.

Yacht Rocker

vCash

They just recently started the machinery. It was out of sight, out of mind. You know how that works.

Awesoministrator

vCash

So, what's the scoop on the rest of the stuff they're building over there right now?

I know there's a 240-room Embassy Suites Hotel and a 65,000-square-foot conference center, but what retail or restaurants?
    Last edited by Rhino; 4/3/2007 at 10:57 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Word is high end retail (as compared to the Norman mall) and more restaurants (PF Changs, another Ted's, etc.) from what I have heard. Check out the community forum discussions on the Norman Transcript's webpage for more info than you ever wanted, albeit politically divided.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Pei Wei, Circuit City, a drive-through Starbucks, Office Depot, Petco, Rack Room Shoes, Dress Barn, Maurice’s, TJ Maxx/Marshall’s.

Yuck.

Pei Wei is the only one interests me. Dress Barn? TJMaxx? Office Depot? I thought this was supposed to be an upscale shopping complex?