Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 landrun's Avatar
    vCash

Bob Stoops is no Barry Switzer

Don't get me wrong, Bob's a good coach. And I can't think of anyone who could replace him and do a better job. But I swear, we have had some really strange games with him running the program.

The USC blow out, losing multiple national championship games which we coulda, shoulda, woulda won on a normal day.
    Losing at home to the Pokes - Not just losing, but our d-backs getting toasted on play action series after series.
    Losing BCS bowl game after BCS bowl game.
    And I swear, I SWEAR we give up third and long more than any team I've ever seen. Infuriating!!
    Our back-up QB's never get playing time until something happens like tonight.

It's just strange to me. How we can be so good and then choke so much!

Switzer had his flaws. And he might have had losses like this from time to time. But oddities like tonight are pretty common with Stoops' system. I don't know what it is, but you can tell when it is about to happen. Mid-way through the first quarter of a season opener.

All I can think of is 2 yards. First and goal at the 2 and you can't get 2 yards?!! And the illegal motion penalties are inexcusable.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Bob Stoops is no Barry Switzer

You are absolutely right. Stoops is a good coach. But for whatever reason he lacks Switzer's ability to pull out the come from behind win in the big game.

Since the 2000 season, I can only remember the 2002 fourth quarter come from behind win in the big game against Alabama in Norman.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 MyT Oklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Barry Switzer was one of a kind. Bob Stoops is also one of a kind. But in Barry's day we had more damn talent than anyone else and he knew how to use it.

Bob brings in great talent but I am really beginning to wonder if he knows how to use it. He's the one making $4 million a year to coach the Sooners so I hope he gets it figured out before any of us do.
    OU 20 UT 36 "It is what it is." Mack Brown 10/12/13

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

methinks we need the likes of leach and mangino prowling the sidelines as assistants...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Crucifax Autumn's Avatar
    vCash

No one is the king. Jesus could be OUr coach and we'd complain!

When the Shooting Starts, We Kill What Moves
    Roland Deschain of Gilead
    ________

- Olevet Posse Gunslinger -

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Crucifax Autumn View Post
    No one is the king. Jesus could be OUr coach and we'd complain!
    I'm guessing Jesus could have come up with a better offensive gameplan than we've shown in our last two games.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Switzer won three. He didn't win the National Championship every year. From 1975 to 1985 there were folks just like you saying **** just like this.

After posting #3 he left.

I'm glad he's a part of Oklahoma University again.

Careful what you ask for is all I'll say.

Sooner Benchwarmer Crimson Blonde's Avatar
    vCash

what? you don't think "run up the middle" when the O line can't even protect the QB is a good idea? i for one kept saying, holy f'ing sh*t every time they called that play, what's more jesus like than that?
    "If we want to get better, we've got to improve."

--Bob Stoops, OU head football coach

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

We were talking about this after the game. We threw in Tom Osbourne as well as Switzer.

The difference between those guys and the coaches of today is that, if you opened the door for a Switzer or Osborne team, they'd walk through it. BYU gift-wrapped our two last possession, beggin us to beat them and our coaching staff badly squandered both of them:

(1) First and goal at the one due to a pass intereference. We'd run the ball down their throats to get inside the ten. So, what to we do, try to pass, run once without the fullback who'd been blowing up the linebackers in the second half, then try to sneak with a QB playing in his first game, then a penalty after more ridiculous checking down at the line. Too many inexperience players and too much at stake to have a guy chekcing off when you just need a yard - at the goal line! Snap it, hand it off, and be done with it already!

(NOTE TO COACHES GUNDY, HEUPEL AND WILSON: We're at the one yard line. Quit trying to be fancy. Put Clapp and Brown in there and take three cracks at it. A touchdown is worth six points even if it's a boring, old running play.)

(2) BYU's kick off goes out of bound, giving us the ball at the 40. We move down to the 32 with 1:38 remaining on the pass to our third string tight end. The longest field goal we made last year was from 47. So, we're 50 yards out for a field goal and square in the middle of the field in a dome where weather isn't going to be a factor.

So, what do we do to make the game-winning field attempt closer? Do we put Matt Clapp and Chris Brown in there and jam us 7 to 10 yards closer as we run the clock down? No, we pass, pass, and pass almost intercepted with a penalty mixed in for good measure.

Our 50 yard game winning attempt is now a 55 yard effort. Then, we run on a kicker who'd never kicked in a game. Predictably, he misses. Game over. Stoops is being payed millions and his assistants several hundred thousand apiece for this kind of nonsense.

The Bottom Line is this:
    -You've got four new lineman
    -You've got four new receivers
    -You've got two new tight ends
    -You've got a quarterback playing in his first game
    -Your experienced players at this point at fullback and halfback

Wilson, Heupel and Gundy ignore their experienced players when it counted and put it all on the shoulders of the inexperienced. It was, without question, the stupidest coaching you'll ever see out of that trio.

Switzer and Osborne would have played the percentages - put the ball in the hands of the experienced players and let them bang away to a win.

Utterly stupid. BYU tried to give us the game. Our offensive coaches were too dumb to oblige them. And, Stoops apparently was too asleep at the wheel to intervene.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 9/6/2009 at 01:21 AM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

It was just a nightmare that you couldn't believe...but before we jump the gun on stoops we do have to remember where we were before stoops came
    "I have had it with these motherf*ckin’ snakes on this motherf*ckin’ plane!” -Samuel L. Jackson

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    We were talking about this after the game. We threw in Tom Osbourne as well as Switzer.

The difference between those guys and the coaches of today is that, if you opened the door for a Switzer or Osborne team, they'd walk through it. BYU gift-wrapped our two last possession, beggin us to beat them and our coaching staff badly squandered both of them:

(1) First and goal at the one due to a pass intereference. We'd run the ball down their throats to get inside the ten. So, what to we do, try to pass, run once without the fullback who'd been blowing up the linebackers in the second half, then try to sneak with a QB playing in his first game, then a penalty after more ridiculous checking down at the line. Too many inexperience players and too much at stake to have a guy chekcing off when you just need a yard - at the goal line! Snap it, hand it off, and be done with it already!

(NOTE TO COACHES GUNDY, HEUPEL AND WILSON: We're at the one yard line. Quit trying to be fancy. Put Clapp and Brown in there and take three cracks at it. A touchdown is worth six points even if it's a boring, old running play).

(2) BYU's kick off goes out of bound, giving us the ball at the 40. We move down to the 32 with 1:38 remaining on the pass to our third string tight end. The longest field goal we made last year was from 47. So, we're 50 yards out for a field goal and square in the middle of the field in a dome where weather isn't going to be a factor.

So, what do we do to make the game-winning field attempt closer? Do we put Matt Clapp and Chris Brown in there and jam us 7 to 10 yards closer as we run the clock down? No, we pass, pass, and pass almost intercepted with a penalty mixed in for good measure.

Our 50 yard game winning attempt is now a 55 yard effort. Then, we run on a kicker who'd never kicked in a game. Predictably, he misses. Game over. Stoops is being payed millions and his assistants several hundred thousand apiece for this kind of nonsense.

The Bottom Line is this:
    -You've got four new lineman
    -You've got four new receivers
    -You've got two new tight ends
    -You've got a quarterback playing in his first game
    -Your experienced players at this point at fullback and halfback

Wilson, Heupel and Gundy ignore their experienced players when it counted and put it all on the shoulders of the inexperienced. It was, without question, the stupidest coaching you'll ever see out of that trio.

Switzer and Osborne would have played the percentages - put the ball in the hand of the experienced players and let them bang away to a win.

Utterly stupid. BYU tried to give us the game. Our offensive coaches were too dumb to oblige them. And, Stoops apparently was too asleep at the wheel to intervene.

Sadly, everything you say is right on point. Expect to be bashed for it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SOONER44EVER's Avatar
    vCash

Well said!
    THANK GOD I'M A SOONER!

Ready for Baseball Season tulsaoilerfan's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LawtonBoy74 View Post
    It was just a nightmare that you couldn't believe...but before we jump the gun on stoops we do have to remember where we were before stoops came
    Doesn't matter; Bob is getting paid 4 million a year, and this was one of the worst coaching efforts i have seen in many a year

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

(NOTE TO COACHES GUNDY, HEUPEL AND WILSON: We're at the one yard line. Quit trying to be fancy. Put Clapp and Brown in there and take three cracks at it. A touchdown is worth six points even if it's a boring, old running play.)
    I agree with most of what you're saying...but, we did try that against Florida and it didn't work either. I have NO idea what the answer is though.

vCash

kevin wilson called a horrible game all game long...not just with landry in. we had the reigning heisman trophy winner in at qb in the first half and we tried to run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and at one point in the 2nd quarter byu was putting 8 and 9 guys in the box to stop the run. bradford should've been picking their def apart with 9 in the box!!

For all the good stuff wilson did last year...this is the 2nd straight game that he sucked calling plays.

Bob is now 9-10 when facing a ranked team that has atleast 2 weeks to prepare for him...I thought he was supposed to be one of the best coaches in the country?!

vCash

Stoops' flaw isn't that he can't use good players well -- I think he works with the talent he gets pretty well, we just don't recruit as well as some of the other elite schools.

I think we also finally had to come down to earth with our wideouts this year. Up 'til now, every season, we've managed to have enough guys who catch everything thrown near them, to keep our offensive juggernaut humming along. Tonight Sam couldn't get started because guys kept dropping stuff they should've caught. If they were making those catches, I doubt BYU would've pinned the ears back and come after him. We'd have the W, he'd have his arm, and I'd be a much happier camper.

Doesn't take many drops to cause our offense to implode. They sap our confidence, inflate the other teams', and get our defense on the field instead of our offense.

Or am I flat-out crazy? I'll accept that possibility.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 batonrougesooner's Avatar
    vCash

This game was lost in August. The guys weren't ready to play.
    "I am batonrougesooner and I approved this message"

vCash

Stoops is a good coach he's not near the level of Bud or Barry. I still can't believe anyone compares him to those 2 coaches. Those guys were game changers. I think Bob is just another good coach in this era. There's a lot of coaches that are probably better than he is.

vCash

I always remember Oklahoma especially in the close games against Nebraska always finding a way to win. Ever since that Kansas St. game in Big 12 championship our team has never seemed to have "IT" when they are in a close game.

brougesooner......sure seems that way, at least offensively. They sure looked unprepared, even when Bradford was in. I thought except for their last TD pass, the defense did a reasonably good job.

Sooner Magic still seems to elude Stoops' teams every since his 2000 NC gang. OU used to always find a way to win the close ones, but nowadays it seems like if OU isn't leading by 10 points with a coupla minutes left, it's questionable.

I was afraid of this game all along. At least now it's out of the way.