Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer SoonerEmpire's Avatar
    vCash

Who Embellishes Their National Championship Claims and Who Does Not

Found the following from someone who goes by the name War Eagle Atlanta and thought it was pretty good!

Who Embellishes Their National Championship Claims and Who Does Not

Faithful readers of fanblogs will notice that a lot of what this article contains has been stated by me in the past. That's because I thought it as being so well-written that I could regurgitate it once again in order to preempt any more uniform threads from popping up like weeds in the parched earth here at fanblogs during the dry season.

The bee in my bonnet about national championships came last spring when Washington tried to slip one through the back door 47 years after the fact. Since then, I've quit wearing bonnets and have educated myself on the history of the national championship. I now feel qualified to be the final arbiter of which teams' national championship claims are legit, and which are as bogus as a Jeff Spicoli quip.

Here are the qualifications that I will use:

1) Only current Divison 1-A (FBS) teams with three or more MNCs will be considered.

2) Only AP championships (1934, 1936-present) UP championships (1935, 1950-1957) UPI championships (1958-1995) USA Today/ESPN championships (1997-present) and BCS championships (1998-present) are counted. However, prior to 1950, before the AP and UP polls ran concurrently, I will accept a preponderance of the other selectors. In other words, if your team claims MNCs from selectors not listed here, they are illegitimate. If none of this makes sense, just read on and complain about it later.

3) No back-dated titles will be considered. Using the definitions in (2) above, that means no MNCs before 1934. If you still don't know what a back-dated title is, sign up for my remedial newsletter at my link below.

4) Date utilized is primarily taken from College Football Data Warehouse.

I, Richard Dawson, and the Survey says!!!

Notre Dame, 12 NCs claimed, 1924, 1929, 1930, 1943, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1953, 1966, 1973, 1977, 1988. First three titles back-dated, 1953 illegitimate. Real total, 8 titles. Talk about winning one for the Gipper, they won three BEFORE the Gipper--and before national championships ever existed. One third of your titles bogus--pretty shabby.

Alabama, 12 NCs claimed, 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992. First 3 titles back-dated, 1934 and 1941 titles illegitimate. Real total, 7 titles. Bama is famous for throwing everything that sticks into the trophy cabinet. If you want a more detailed analysis of the Tide, read this.

USC, 10 NCs claimed, 1928, 1931, 1932, 1962, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1978, 2003, 2004. First 3 titles back-dated, all the rest legitimate. Real total, 7 titles. Not bad, other than the back-dated ones. Let's see: 60s and 70s, got that covered; 21st century--check. Hey, what happened to the 80s and 90s???

Michigan, 7 NCs claimed, 1901, 1902, 1923, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997. First 4 titles back-dated, the rest legitimate. Real total, 3 titles. Oh, snap! Don't worry, Go Blue. Batting .429 in the major leagues earns you bazillions a year...

Oklahoma, 7 NCs claimed, 1950, 1955, 1956, 1974, 1975, 1985, 2000. All legitimate! Real total, 7 titles. The first perfectly honest team. Naturally, OU owes Texas for all this glory--not!

Minnesota, 6 NCs claimed, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960 All legit! Real total, 6 titles. But what are you guys thinking about doing for the next half of the 20th century???

Pittsburgh, 6 NCs claimed, 1910, 1916, 1918, 1936, 1937, 1976. First 3 titles back-dated, 1936 illegitimate, other 2 fine. Real total, 2 titles. Only 33% of your claimed titles for real? We haven't seen this kind of illegitimacy outside of the Mugabe administration...

Miami, 5 NCs claimed, 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 2001. All legit. Real total, 5 titles. Still can't figure out how you got the nod in 1983 over a far superior Auburn team...

Nebraska, 5 NCs claimed, 1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997. All legit. Real total, 5 titles. Solid! Can't figure out why they can't duplicate this kind of success in the other corn-growing states...

Ohio State, 5 NCs claimed, 1942, 1954, 1957, 1968, 2002. All legit. Real total, 5 titles. Best in the Big 10(11). Best ever: Woody or The Vest?

Army, 4 NCs claimed, 1914, 1944, 1945, 1946. First is back-dated, the rest legit. Real total, 3 titles. Gee, if we could only have another World War to drain the nation's manpower again...

GA Tech, 4 NCs claimed, 1917, 1928, 1952, 1990. First 2 titles back-dated. 1952 illegitimate. 1990 legit. Real total, 1 title. "I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva embellisher..."

Illinois, 4 NCs claimed, 1914, 1919, 1923, 1927. All back-dated! Oh come on! Are you kidding me? Real total, ZIP!!! However, as luck would have it, the Zook era has arrived.

Tennessee, 4 NCs claimed, 1938, 1950, 1951, 1998. 1938 and 1950 illegitimate, the rest legit. Real total, 2 titles. The SEC's historic 2nd best team follows the SEC's historic best team, Alabama--in title embellishment.

Texas, 4 NCs claimed, 1963, 1969, 1970, 2005, all legit! Real total, 4 titles. Thanks Daryl Royal. Still wondering why they're so woefully behind Oklahoma in this category...

California, 3 NCs claimed, 1920, 1921, 1922. All back-dated! What?? Real total, ZERO titles. See admonishment to Illinois...

Michigan State, 3 NCs claimed, 1952, 1965, 1966. 1966 is illegitimate, although you probably got hosed! Real total, 2 titles. Not bad--only one behind your Ann Arbor cousins...

There you have it. Now let me have it. WEA will now take your stinging rebukes:

Posted by War Eagle Atlanta
    Last edited by SoonerEmpire; 10/1/2008 at 06:59 PM.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Re: Who Embellishes Their National Championship Claims and Who Does Not

ha,
    Ohio State was claiming 13 as late as last year. I heard Musburger say so.

who does.
    oh lets see, Alabama, USC, Ohio State, and probably countless others.

Who does not. Notre Dame and Oklahoma

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash

Sam must of had something to do with this because our efficiency once again is tops,

or close
    Last edited by okiewaker; 10/1/2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: not correct

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner518's Avatar
    vCash

pretty cool article. he says in this article that Bama has 7, but then he links to a post where he breaks it down even further and says they have only 6.

good to see that we're legit!
    Quote Originally Posted by bri
    NOW, WITNESS THE ORANGE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL HALF-EMPTY STADIUM!!!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerKnight's Avatar
    vCash

There's only one OU!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I live in TN, and have seen MANY Bama fans wear shirts that say, "Got 12? WE DO!!" I've tried to have an intelligent discussion and point out that some of those are bogus. I give them a good example of schools listing National Championships, you know, OU having 17 National Championships, but only claiming 7, due to most of them being bogus. Just doesn't work with these Bama guys. They'll stake claim to a title that was awarded by the same entity(Berryman) that awarded OU a championship..... in 2003!!

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_fo...st_champs.html

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

What does he mean by "back-dated."

While OU was on the 47 game win streak, who won the national titles that we did not win and why, how?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Teams that don't claim bogus titles:

Oklahoma, nebbish, cocaines, bucknuts and saxet

Teams that claim bogus titles:

Everyone else

Sooner Starter
    Football's godforsaken wasteland -- ACC country!
    vCash

Doesn't Ole Miss claim a bevy of national championships? I seem to remember them coming on our message boards before the 99 Indy Bowl and saying things like:

"Wow, what a great match up of historical powers! Oklahoma with 6 national championships, and Missippi with 7!" or something like that.

Seems liike they tried to claim the same as us, one more then us, something like that.
    --------------------------

OK, I checked a couple of sites, and they show Ole Miss claiming 3 national championships in 1959, 60 and 62. They are all bestowed by minor selectors, so none of them are legitimate.

I guess I was thinking of them saying something llike "Two teams with nine national championships." Seems like we just laughed at them.
    Last edited by KingBarry; 10/2/2008 at 11:51 AM.
    OU is about winning championships!!! osu is about whining about OU winning those championships!!! -- SoonerKnight, 10/31/2007

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SbOrOiNaEnR's Avatar
    vCash

I posted this in another thread, but it's worth mentioning here:

Quote Originally Posted by SbOrOiNaEnR View Post
    I did the math the other day and figured out we'd have something like 12 legitimate (AP/UPI/BCS) national championships if we'd won all the bowl games where there's been one on the line.

By my estimation:

- TGWWDNSO
    - 2004 Sugar Bowl
    - 1988 Orange Bowl
    - 1985 Orange Bowl (Surely, in the eyes of the voters a win by #2 OU over #4 Washington would've trumped #1 BYU's victory over a 6-5 Michigan team)
    - 1978 Orange Bowl
    "It was once said—only half facetiously—that the three greatest organizations the world has ever known were the Imperial German Army, the Roman Catholic Church and the Standard Oil Company. Inasmuch as the Imperial German Army was demobilized in 1918, it is doubtless high time that a new candidate be proposed to fill out the triumvirate, and one strong contender—most sport fans would agree—is the University of Oklahoma football team." ~ Tex Maule, Sports Illustrated, November 18, 1957

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 boomrsoonr's Avatar
    vCash

This needs to be a sticky!!!
    Danny

Written by a shortHorn: "OU is the only game where we’re humbled and placed on equal psychological footing with our opponent because we need this every bit as badly as they do. Any Texas fan who states otherwise is a ****ing liar or a contrarian to the point of masturbating idiocy."

vCash

LSU really has 4 national championships. 1908, 1958, 2003, 2007. In 1908, CFBDW for some reason recognizes Pennsylvania, but look at the records at the end of the year:

http://www.shrpsports.com/cf/stand.p...2012&B1=Submit
    "I think Auburn got away with one there! " - Steve Beuerlein, 9/16/2006

1) Lord loves a workin man
    2) Don't trust whitey
    3) See a doctor and get rid of it
    - Navin R. Johnson

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LSUdeek View Post
    LSU really has 4 national championships. 1908, 1958, 2003, 2007. In 1908, CFBDW for some reason recognizes Pennsylvania, but look at the records at the end of the year:

http://www.shrpsports.com/cf/stand.p...2012&B1=Submit
    Deek, in reference to your avatar, you guys do know that Nebbish has a few of those crystal footballs, too, right? It was one of their bragging points when they were announcing during pregame at the 2001 ou-neb game. They were all like "We have the most Sears trophies!" (no idea who sponsors it now) or something like that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Deek, in reference to your avatar, you guys do know that Nebbish has a few of those crystal footballs, too, right? It was one of their bragging points when they were announcing during pregame at the 2001 ou-neb game. They were all like "We have the most Sears trophies!" (no idea who sponsors it now) or something like that.
    http://www.afca.com/ViewArticle.dbml...&ATCLID=289347

I guess Nebbish does have a couple of coaches' trophies according to this link.

In fact, Miami has 3, Nebbish has 3, and Fl0rida has 2.

1986 Penn State- Joe Paterno
    1987 Miami (Fla.)- Jimmy Johnson
    1988 Notre Dame- Lou Holtz
    1989 Miami (Fla.)- Dennis Erickson

1990 Georgia Tech- Bobby Ross
    1991 Washington- Don James
    1992 Alabama- Gene Stallings
    1993 Florida State- Bobby Bowden
    1994 Nebraska- Tom Osborne
    1995 Nebraska- Tom Osborne
    1996 Florida- Steve Spurrier
    1997 Nebraska- Tom Osborne
    1998 Tennessee- Phil Fulmer
    1999 Florida State- Bobby Bowden

2000 Oklahoma- Bob Stoops
    2001 Miami (Fla.)- Larry Coker
    2002 Ohio State- Jim Tressel
    2003 LSU- Nick Saban
    2004 USC- Pete Carroll
    2005 Texas- Mack Brown
    2006 Florida- Urban Meyer
    "I think Auburn got away with one there! " - Steve Beuerlein, 9/16/2006

1) Lord loves a workin man
    2) Don't trust whitey
    3) See a doctor and get rid of it
    - Navin R. Johnson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The American Football Coaches Association Trophy (the big crystal ball, which has also been called by sponsor names The Gerrits Foundation Trophy, the Pepsi Trophy, the McDonald's Trophy, the Sears Trophy, the Circuit City Trophy, and currently, the ADT Trophy), has been awarded every year since 1986 (which means we missed having two by one lousy year...damn).

So as far as having a pair of balls (in response to badger's reference to LSUdeek's avatar)...the following schools have 2+

Nebbish (3)
    Miami (3)
    Free Shoe (2)
    Florida (2)
    LSU (2)

However, deek, you are the only school with two BCS National Championships (and legitimate post-1998...lookin' at you, SUC)...so props for that.
    "It was once said—only half facetiously—that the three greatest organizations the world has ever known were the Imperial German Army, the Roman Catholic Church and the Standard Oil Company. Inasmuch as the Imperial German Army was demobilized in 1918, it is doubtless high time that a new candidate be proposed to fill out the triumvirate, and one strong contender—most sport fans would agree—is the University of Oklahoma football team." ~ Tex Maule, Sports Illustrated, November 18, 1957

vCash

I think that embellishing National Championships is like the "I'm a football fan" version of lying about the girls that you've f*cked. Eventually, you're going to get caught with your pants down. As for the party that catches you; will they be impressed or not?

At OU, they're impressed. No lying. Just action.

At Alabama, when that dude drops his pants, it's a chick.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

I guess to be fair to Nebbish, they DID have the most balls then Of course, they lost all of their balls when after they won the coin toss in the 2002 Rose Bowl against Miami.

Brewmaster

vCash

The dude's math is off by one. USC only has 6 titles. 03 belongs to LSU because of the BCS.
    ... that's not food.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride View Post
    The dude's math is off by one. USC only has 6 titles. 03 belongs to LSU because of the BCS.
    Well, the writer did state that he was counting both AP and UPI/Coaches/BCS MHC's. As much as I hate to say it, 2003 does count for SUC since it was essentially a "split" title that year with SUC winning the AP and LSU winning the BCS using that as the basis.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Well, the writer did state that he was counting both AP and UPI/Coaches/BCS MHC's. As much as I hate to say it, 2003 does count for SUC since it was essentially a "split" title that year with SUC winning the AP and LSU winning the BCS using that as the basis.
    I just can't agree with that. By agreeing to be a part of the BCS System (which all the major conferences did, including the Pac-10), you automatically forfeit your claim to any title that's not conferred by the agreed-upon system in place at the time. You endorsed the BCS System to prevent AP/UPI split titles, and you can't reneg on what you signed up for just because it's more convenient to you later. To me, that's the whole essence of the arguement against embellishing national titles.