Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Messicans headed out of Oklahoma

reportedly in droves. They are reportedly worried about the effect of the new OK statute which goes into force on Nov. 1.

We shall see. Frankly, I have two data points to share.

1) Mrs Homey reports for the first time in anyone's recent memory, they have no hispanic newborns in her nursery/NICU at work. The norm is several.

2) At the QT (101st and S. Memorial) where I tank up on java and a brefus sammich each a.m., there are normally at least ten messican customers present. Lately, its down to just one or two.

Your thoughts?

Here's the TW story:
    Law cited in reverse migration

By ALEXIS CHARBONNIER World Correspondent
    10/28/2007

Uncertain what might happen, many illegal immigrants are leaving the state for Mexico.

CASA BLANCA, Mexico -- If Oklahoma's House Bill 1804 is supposed to force people to leave the state and return to Mexico, it's working.

The law goes into effect Thursday, but it is already causing a reverse migration of illegal immigrants -- and their U.S. citizen children -- to Casa Blanca, a north-central Mexican town that has long supplied hundreds of illegal immigrants to Tulsa.

''You don't hear people talking about anything else here,'' said Lilia Esparza, who has been the town nurse since 1986. ''Everywhere I hear the phrase 'they're coming back!' ''

The Tulsa World revealed the Casa Blanca pipeline in a 2006 series of stories, which showed some 3,000 Tulsa workers, mostly illegal, had ties to the area.

Now, facing fears of lost jobs, homes and children in the United States, the tide is flowing back.

Esparza's statistics show that 49 families and 88 other U.S.-born children returned to Casa Blanca in the month of September alone.

Whether that trend will continue after the law goes into effect is an open question, especially if there isn't a harsh police enforcement effort.

Those returning home face a bleak scenario: camping out in Tulsa-bought trucks or crumbling, burglarized adobe homes this winter, huddling around campfires in a lawless small town on the frigid Mexican highlands.

The Oklahoma law makes it illegal to knowingly transport illegal immigrants, and it throws up state barriers to hiring of illegal immigrants.

It also requires employers seeking state contracts to use the federal status verification system for its employees and requires identification and proof of citizenship before people can receive certain benefits.

But, to the people of Casa Blanca, the consequences are starker.

''People said, 'What if we just get deported without warning? Will the kids stay behind?' '' Esparza said. ''There were rumors of massive, forced adoptions. They thought even newborns would be taken away.

''In September, the rumor was that immigration officers would be coming into the classrooms in Tulsa, which is why so many young kids were sent back to Mexico,'' Esparza said.

Esparza said a woman came into the clinic recently in Casa Blanca. She had gotten pregnant in Tulsa, but decided to come home to Mexico to give birth because she was afraid her baby would be taken from her in the hospital.

Juan Becerra, 40, a farmer in Mexico, lived in Tulsa for seven years before returning in early October. Becerra laid water mains, built sewers, roads and sidewalks for a contractor, making $12 an hour.

''Rumors are running that they're going to start picking people up before Nov. 1, and on Nov. 2, they're going to pick up anyone they see walking around,'' Becerra said.

Fatima Soriano, a 24-year-old medical school resident serving the town, said although many parents of the children sent home to Casa Blanca are going to try to stay in Tulsa until they're deported, many workers expect to be laid off on Oct. 31, accelerating the return to Mexico.

Laying low in Tulsa: While Tulsans with U.S. citizen and permanent resident status will most likely stay put, those without legal documents have three options. The first is staying in Tulsa and adopting a wait-and-see attitude.

Antonio Barrera, 24, worked in construction in Tulsa for $13 an hour, helping to build St. Francis Heart Hospital. He returned home in early October.

''Most of them are going to chance it and stay in Tulsa to save their houses and trucks,'' Barrera said.

''They're more discreet,'' Becerra said. ''It's not like it used to be: drinking, shouting and gunshots. People are saying, 'I'll drink at home from now on.'

''The streets are deserted now. On Fridays, Mexicans just load up the car with groceries and go home.''

Moving east: The second option for illegal immigrants in Tulsa is to move on to another state with more lenient immigration laws.

Arkansas is the most frequently mentioned destination.

''It's safer there, and there's lots of work,'' said Becerra, who said that if he were to go back to the United States, he'd go to Arkansas.

''Lots of people are planning on moving there,'' he said.

Chicago, Dallas and Denver were other destinations mentioned, as many immigrants have family members in those cities.

Going home: Gustavo Bernal, 60, the mayor of Casa Blanca and a retired elementary-school teacher, described the return to Casa Blanca as ''a forced, panicked retreat.''

He said about 500 more people are expected to come home, putting an enormous strain on local services.

Tulsa residents are sending home whatever they own, mostly furniture and major appliances.

About 20 such trips have already made it to Casa Blanca, Bernal said.

Filled to the brim, these pickups and trailers are driven by people who hold visas. Casa Blancans in Tulsan who own two trucks are sending one home now and keeping the other for the return home.

Dr. Soriano has seen the signs of this phenomenon. Many people have come to her for medicine because they're going back north, not to immigrate, but to bring more truckloads of belongings back, she said.

Maria Elena Gaytan, 37, is a shopkeeper in Casa Blanca. Her brothers have been in Tulsa for seven years, and they're among the ones returning.

''People are coming back who lived in Tulsa for seven to 10 years,'' Gaytan said. ''They had kids, houses and belongings up there.

''They're coming back home with whatever they can salvage.''

Esparza said many of those returning are young families who had left for Tulsa in the last six years.

''They're sending home the kids, the ones that were raised in Tulsa. The American Dream fizzled out for them. They hadn't planned on coming back, but they were just so afraid.''

Reversing the trend: Cristian Becerra Bernal, 15, is a high school student in nearby Zacatecas. He's one of the potential migrants thinking twice about heading to Oklahoma.

''I wanted to go to Tulsa, but I don't want to anymore,'' he said. ''If I go, I'll get caught. I might go to a different place in the U.S. This has been all over the TV, and nobody wants to go north now.''

Mayor Bernal said: ''About 50 families a month are coming back. The tide has turned. Before, nobody was coming home.''
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Re: Messicans headed out of Oklahoma

Good.
    Riddance.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i have a lot of friends who are "messicans". good people.

loyal as the day is long, generous, they work hard, committed to family and don't drink Zima.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Thank you, Randy Terrill!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mongo's Avatar
    vCash

The Okie meth laws and now the new illegal immigrants laws have cleaned up this state and caused other states deal with our old problems. Best they adopt the same programs.

SanJoaquinSooner in 5,4,3.....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

''They're more discreet,'' Becerra said. ''It's not like it used to be: drinking, shouting and gunshots. People are saying, 'I'll drink at home from now on.'

''The streets are deserted now. On Fridays, Mexicans just load up the car with groceries and go home.''
    God f*%$ing forbid THAT.

Maybe I won't have to spend my time patching up so many bullet-ridden bodies now.

Am I the only one that got the gist that the article was pulling for a heartstring or two? Those poor illegal folks having to rip up their children after seven to ten years in Tulsa to haul theirselves back to Mexico? That same article that mentions how to save their houses and trucks in the Tulsa area, illegals are going to have to be discreet, buy groceries, and go home for the evening instead of drinking and carousing on the streets shooting up our blessed Tulsa?

Give me a damned break, Tulsa World.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

Hey Homey,
    Check out the area around 21st Street and Garnett. If that place is void of messicans I'll believe it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Check out the area around 21st Street and Garnett. If that place is void of messicans I'll believe it.
    Slowly but surely.

Kicker is, in my personal experience so far since the passage of the bill, there's more hit-and-run action, less hispanic serving business, and thankfully, fewer dead or dying hispanic bodies from lead poisoning in the area.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

vCash

I love American Mexicans who hold jobs like we do and are here to live the American Dream that many an American has defend this Country so we have the right to be free and live our lives.

Being of Irish decent...I welcome all who come here to continue to make this a great Country. I also welcome those who seek refuge from oppression and slaughter. May they get a chance to live safe and one day return to their homeland and teach their Countrymen the better ways of life.

None of this can happen without America remaining a free society that welcomes people of all race and creed.

We need to focus on the people who are trying to live here legally and assist them. The ones who are here to bilk the system and live like the sourge of the Earth, avoid paying taxes ect... They better get it together quick if they want to stay.

vCash

Kudos to the great state of Oklahoma for taking a strong stance against illegal immigration. If the rest of the nation would do the same we'd be better off, and by the rest of the nation I mean the individual states, because God knows the US Congress isn't going to do a d**n thing.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

This thread is worthless without pics.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rufnek05's Avatar
    vCash

crap. now who is going to build my deck.
    Thats what the internet is for--slandering others anonymously.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SleestakSooner's Avatar
    In a cardboard box... down by the Dempsey Dumpster.
    vCash

Gustavo Bernal, 60, the mayor of Casa Blanca and a retired elementary-school teacher, described the return to Casa Blanca as ''a forced, panicked retreat.''

He said about 500 more people are expected to come home, putting an enormous strain on local services.
    Better your people strain your local economy than ours. What are we supposed to do, allow all immigrants to suck our resources dry while they try to build up their own?

What burns my *** is to see that some of these people were earning nearly double the minimum wage while plenty of able bodied americans are left w/o jobs due to the fact that they would have to be offered benefits and employment protection.

The unscrupulous employers are the ones to blame for this fiasco and I personally hope that all contractors who have been predominately using illegals will soon be out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by pokefun
    it is not natural to be optimistic and a cowboy fan unless it is the off season.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

You're sending them down here aren't you?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

I live in a neighborhood that is half new houses, half houses under construction. I have 4 houses directly across the street from me that are under construction right now in fact. Usually the jobsites are filled with workrers. The last handful of days have been eerily quiet.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa_Fireman
    God f*%$ing forbid THAT.

Maybe I won't have to spend my time patching up so many bullet-ridden bodies now.

Am I the only one that got the gist that the article was pulling for a heartstring or two? Those poor illegal folks having to rip up their children after seven to ten years in Tulsa to haul theirselves back to Mexico? That same article that mentions how to save their houses and trucks in the Tulsa area, illegals are going to have to be discreet, buy groceries, and go home for the evening instead of drinking and carousing on the streets shooting up our blessed Tulsa?

Give me a damned break, Tulsa World.
    Feel how you want, these testimonies are proof that HB 1804 has had an effect, which up until now, people weren't sure the law would have an effect. After all, they broke the law once to enter the country, who said they would fear the law now?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rufnek05's Avatar
    vCash

Thats what the internet is for--slandering others anonymously.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

Well......... bye.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk
    Well......... bye.

Hot dang...that's me...Curly Bill
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    The Okie meth laws and now the new illegal immigrants laws have cleaned up this state and caused other states deal with our old problems. Best they adopt the same programs.

SanJoaquinSooner in 5,4,3.....
    In the case of meth laws it has had a different effect, after the rest of the surrounding states passed laws similar to the OK law it has moved meth production from the small local dealer making his own to cartel factories just across the border into Mexico where they are making stronger meth in mass quantities. Kinda of a bad with the good kind of thing.