Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spring Game

Getting it done
    vCash

Re: Spring Game

We truly need someone to step up as an explosive KO returner and punter returner. That is where we have been lacking for a while.

vCash

Gon8...

I thought the same thing yesterday when no one had names on their jerseys but I also was thinking that maybe it's something like who is going to earn their name on their jersey?

Maybe in late August they start walking around handing out jerseys to those that are making the Team and are going to be on the sidelines? Maybe some get RSs and others make the practice squad? Also with so many guys out of commission right now why use nice new jersies? Some of the ones I saw on them had been ripped and torn and sewn up and were just used for this scrimmage. I don't think i'd make to much out of it though.

vCash

Also....looks like they are thinking about using Roy Finch for returns?

It's hard to tell much from a scrimmage.

Some of those new guys are pretty impressive though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUInformant View Post
    It's hard to tell much from a scrimmage.
    Team wise, yes. But you can get a sense whether a player will be productive or not.
    I remember being excited about Tristen Ross after a spring once upon a time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Team wise, yes. But you can get a sense whether a player will be productive or not.
    I remember being excited about Tristen Ross after a spring once upon a time.
    Yep. And I'll say this....If you have been going to Spring Games and Regular Season Games every year....you really get a sense of just how the team is going to come together and what kind of talent they have.

For me....we will be lucky to win 10 games this year.

That can change but losing Broyles was devastating and I know lots of folks think Landry Sucks but it's not him. It's the WRs. I would have let Norvell go after the first year he was here. I just don't think he's getting to these kids. Josh was a great QB Coach and as Offensive Coordinator I think he'd be fine if we just had a WRs Coach instead of someone who was trying to prove his worth like Norvell is. Just an Opinion but it's how I've felt about Jay. He needs to be at another School in charge of his own Offense.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Heupel on Trey Metoyer: "He's going to have a big article in the paper tomorrow. Hopefully he doesn't read it.”
    Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Here are my impressions from the R-W:

1) I think in all of the years I've gone to the spring fling, the former player turnout this year was the lowest ever. May have had a dozen to 18 former players on the field before the game.

2) Nice of AD to show up and be recognized for his very generous gift. He has been a class act since day one he stepped on campus and I'm glad to see that he continues to support the Unverisity.

3) Metoyer is a man among boys. He has a presence similar to other great players that have played on Owen field. Not so bold prediction: Metoyer will be the No. 1 receiver come fall with Stills and Jaz in a battle for the No. 2. Competition is a great thing. It will be interesting to see how the young guns respond.

4) DB's competed admirably - felt bad for Javon on the long ball to Jaz, but he was there. Jaz made a great play on the ball to pull it in.

5) Low-light: Lack of focus by Stills as evidenced by numerous drops.

6) Run blocking was strong early, but it seemed as the game went on the DL became more assertive. That said, run game seemed to overpower the D with Millard toting the rock.

7) There is an embarrassing depth at QB. Jones, Allen, and Bell can all lead this team. Thompson adds a dimension that we haven't seen since JW had both of his knees. None of these kids look lost throwing the ball.

8) Not sure where Finch is going to fit in to the scheme.

9) There are no Butkus caliber LB's on this roster (well, maybe Millard if Bob would try my experiment suggestion).

10) Young TE's could be a factor in the passing game. Green and McNamara played well. They looked smaller than what they are listed at in the program, but I guess it is what it is.

Great day - great way to watch a scrimmage.

BOOMER

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Thoughts...

Like everyone else, Trey Metoyer is going to be great. He was even pretty good on his downfield blocking. Huge f'cking hands!

Trey Millard will need to get more touches.

Jordan Phillips is very athletic and quick. He must have 8 ft long arms!

Why does Trey Franks fall down so many times???

McNamara looked to have raw talent and made some good plays.

70 and 72 almost threw punches near the sideline.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

...and Danzel Williams is as wide and thick as he is tall.....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gore View Post
    ...and Danzel Williams is as wide and thick as he is tall.....
    He might still be reading this young lady's shirt.

Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

vCash

I didn't get to go, but I was watching some film of the game. Bell made some nice throws, but he doesn't seem to step into his throws as much as other quarterbacks. Watching Jones, his body breaks right over his feet while Bell seems to break a little behind. Could be just me, but that is what I observed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

As for Metoyer being the #1 come fall, don't forget we have our "best" guy coming in late summer. We can't count out the impact that JUCO can have for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Tulsa_Fireman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NormanPride View Post
    As for Metoyer being the #1 come fall, don't forget we have our "best" guy coming in late summer. We can't count out the impact that JUCO can have for us.
    All that, AND I remember a guy back in the day who's amazingly handsome and skilled stating that from watching 7 on 7s, it was without a doubt Joey Halzle's job to lose. ENA nabbed us a Big XII title that year.
    People don't know what it is to be a champion.

Oklahoma INVENTED it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    For me....we will be lucky to win 10 games this year.

That can change but losing Broyles was devastating and I know lots of folks think Landry Sucks but it's not him. It's the WRs. I would have let Norvell go after the first year he was here. I just don't think he's getting to these kids. Josh was a great QB Coach and as Offensive Coordinator I think he'd be fine if we just had a WRs Coach instead of someone who was trying to prove his worth like Norvell is. Just an Opinion but it's how I've felt about Jay. He needs to be at another School in charge of his own Offense.
    10 games? Really?! I don't think we're looking at an unbeaten year (given out tough end-of-year schedule), but we'll win at least 10.

I don't agree about Norvell. There are a ton of kids on this team we wouldn't have without his recruiting ability. I'd say he's hand's down, the best recruiter on the staff. Norvell is the guy in the trenches with the offensive skill positions (minus the QBs). I'd say he's more than earned his keep.