Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Thoughts on our upcoming NCAA seed

With two games left, there's still a lot to factor in, but it's never too early to start pondering our seeding.

Right now, Joe Linardi (ESPN) has us as a #3 seed in the West regional (playing South Dakota State in Louisville). If we go 1-1, or even 0-2 over the last two game and get out of the first round of the conference tournament, I think that's about where we stay (a 3 seed).

However, if we win the conference (either finishing 1-1 or 2-0), and get to the conference title game, I think the committee will have to put us in at a 2 seed. The Big XII is one of the toughest conferences in the country (the toughest in my opinion), so winning the regular season crown should provide enough boost to get a 2 seed. But, we'll have to win the regular season title and at least have a decent showing in the conference tourney.

If the bottom falls out, and we lose the last two games and get knocked out of the first round of the conference tourney, I think the worst that we get seeded is 4.

As regions, I think the committee puts us in the MidWest as a 2 seed (playing in Omaha), or the West as a 3 seed (Louisville). If we happen to get a 4, I suspect they'll put us wherever they need a 4 seed (in other words, I don't think we'll get preferential treatment with the region we get put in).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Thoughts on our upcoming NCAA seed

My guess:

If we went 0-2, I think we would be a 4 or a 5 seed if we went 1-1 or 0-1 in the Big XII tournament.

If we win our last two, and have a decent showing in the Big XII tournament, I think we grab the 2 seed.

If we go 1-1, and win 1 or 2 games in the tourney, I think we get a 3. This is the scenario I would guess.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sooner95's Avatar
    vCash

Hard to say, winning both games and even just one win in Big12 tourney would solidify a 3 seed, not sure about a 2. Would need current 2 seeders to falter as well.

Villanova, Wisc, Duke, KU... granted we could assist with moving KU down a line.

I would agree, Reg winner of Big12 has inside track to a #2 seed. Conf is tops this year.
    ========================================
    Bleeding Sooner Red on the East Coast since 2000.

vCash

BTW, I prefer this site..

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Takes in account all the numerous bracket possibilities out there.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

4 or a 5

vCash

"I'm so confused..." Vinnie Barbarino
    Scots, Wha Hae.
    Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled,
    Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
    Welcome to your gory bed
    Or to victorie!
    --- Robert Burns

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Im predicting a 4.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner95 View Post
    Hard to say, winning both games and even just one win in Big12 tourney would solidify a 3 seed, not sure about a 2. Would need current 2 seeders to falter as well.

Villanova, Wisc, Duke, KU... granted we could assist with moving KU down a line.

I would agree, Reg winner of Big12 has inside track to a #2 seed. Conf is tops this year.

You and I are kinda on the same page.

It is kind of a guessing game at this point.

I was looking at this past week, and the teams (ranked ahead of us) that lost are:

3. Gonzaga
    5. Wisconsin
    8. Kansas
    9. Notre Dame
    10. Northern Iowa
    12. Iowa State (twice)
    13. Utah
    15. North Carolina

Obviously the teams losing in the top 10 won't really affect our ranking, so I just threw those out. It's safe to say Iowa State will probably either fall just below us, or stay just ahead of us (in any event it doesn't matter, since we're playing them Monday). So, I figured we would move up to around 12/13 in the rankings this week. IF (and again, that's a big if) we go 2-0 this week, that would put us safely into the top 10.

The reason I bring up rankings is that I think the committee would almost feel obligated to put OU as a 2 seed if a) we were to win the conference regular season, and b) we are a top 10 team.

Even if we go 1-1 this week, I still think we grab a 2 seed.

The only thing that's in question (in my mind) is a 'worst case' scenario. I don't think we'll fall below a 4 seed (unless we just look terrible against KU/ISU and whoever we draw in the first conference tourney game). Then, I could see a possible 5 seed.

The best I think we can do is playing in Omaha as a 2. The worst is playing somewhere far away as a 4.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    My guess:

If we went 0-2, I think we would be a 4 or a 5 seed if we went 1-1 or 0-1 in the Big XII tournament.

If we win our last two, and have a decent showing in the Big XII tournament, I think we grab the 2 seed.

If we go 1-1, and win 1 or 2 games in the tourney, I think we get a 3. This is the scenario I would guess.
    I think we would have to have a total meltdown to end up a 5 seed. But, you never know when selection time rolls around.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

I think we have to win out...get to the championship game and win to get a #2.
    We win out and only go 1-1 in tourney a #3 seed
    We go 1-1 and get to the championship game we still might get a #3, win it and we will
    We go 1-1 and go 1-1 in tourney, #4
    We go 0-2 and get to championship game #4, MAYBE a #3 if we win it
    We go 0-2 and go 1-1 or worse a #5.

Just my guesses...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I think we would have to have a total meltdown to end up a 5 seed. But, you never know when selection time rolls around.
    5 seed was for if we lost to ISU and KU, and then lost our first game in the conference tournament. 5 seed means you're top 20, and I think we could potentially fall out of the top 20 with 3 straight losses.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Not sure it makes any difference. I don't see this team playing the second weekend of NCAA.

vCash

at this point...me neither. We'll see.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If we have a chance to win the Big 12, by all means make Kansas share.

I'd almost want that more than getting over our one-and-done NCAA roadblock at this point... mostly because I don't expect us to go far in the tourney.

But of course, I'd take a Sweet 16 over a shared Big 12 championship... I'd also take a Final Four over a Big 12 tourney championship... maybe I should make a flow chart?

vCash

I hope we can beat ku this sat...get the 3rd seed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

lookin like a 4 .

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    lookin like a 4 .

Agree.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

I'm hoping for the 3, because that could potentially help us out a lot in terms of a long tournament run, but yeah...we're probably stuck at the 4.

vCash

Notre Dames win, and ISU's run probably knocked us down to the 4 line.

Baylor is right there too so is as chance we could snag a #3 and they drop to 4.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Lunardi still has us as a #3 seed which seemed pretty generous until I looked at it a little closer. When it gets right down to it, which number 4 seed would bump us? The thing OU has going for them is that none of the current #4 seeds on Lunardi's bracket has as many RPI 1-50 wins as OU (12). Not really even close. North Carolina (7), Baylor (8) Northern Iowa (3) Louisville (3). OU has more than any of the number 3 seeds except ISU. As a matter of fact they have as many or more than any of the number 2 seeds.