Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: How can we STOP ABORTIONS?

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    How predictable! If one is using contraceptives, why would she need a morning after pill. IOW, no. If there's a pregnancy, that is abortion. This is not complicated, you know.
    Again, you're treating your subjective interpretation of things as if there can be no other reasonable alternative. Since at least 5 Supreme Court Justices always seem to disagree with you, that can't possibly be true.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    You're creating a strawman. You know the US has more people in prison per capita than most other nations. So are we being like the Taliban because we have rules and throw a bunch of people in prison for breaking those rules? Is having a society of laws where the law breakers are punished being like the Taliban or are we being like the Taliban because you don't like the laws favored by people you disagree with?

i disagree with on-demand abortion. I would change the law. Does that make me like the Taliban or are those who favor easy, on-demand abortion access like the racist founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger, acting like Nazis who felt the lower, poorer class needed to reproduce less?

Just maybe if we respected life a bit more and expected more personal responsibility out of people, especially in regards to being parents and raising children, we wouldn't have as many people in prisons.

Rules and laws are put in place so a society functions smoothly and is able to prosper to the point that future generations build on the success of past generations. Every society has rules based on somebody's opinion or principles. I happen to think progressive opinion and principles have been detrimental for our society but according to today’s(and apparently your) rules of civil discourse one is supposed to pay deference to opinions and actions of other people you feel and know to be harmful to a stable society.

Conservative voices of principle are being cowed into silence by political correctness and moral relativism. Meanwhile our prisons fill up past capacity, more and more children are ending up in poverty with little hope for escape and current generations are saddling future generations with crushing debt because more and more individuals think the government needs to be taking care of all our needs while we avoid our individual responsibilities to family and society.
    Again, you're treating your subjective interpretation of things as if there can be no other reasonable alternative. Since at least 5 Supreme Court Justices always seem to disagree with you, that can't possibly be true.

Sooner Benchwarmer sooneriniowa's Avatar
    vCash
    Copy/paste much? Typical lawyer saying the same crap and getting no where with it..if I say it enough it might stick...You can throw crap at the wall and it will stick also
    "With Paul Thompson at QB, Oklahoma will not win the Big 12."
    -Lee Corso "is a penis" 9/2/06

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooneriniowa View Post
    Copy/paste much? Typical lawyer saying the same crap and getting no where with it..if I say it enough it might stick...You can throw crap at the wall and it will stick also
    We just experienced the 40th anniversary of a ruling about a subject which no one ever changed anyone's mind in an internet forum (well maybe once or twice). I'm illustrating the simple fact that all of these "abortion is murder" type arguments stem from subjective conclusions about a subject which reasonable minds can differ. They are not objectively and absolutely correct. When life begins is a matter for philosophers, not scientists. Therefore, to restrict someone's fundamental liberty interest based upon a subjective conclusion about which reasonable minds can and do differ is not a step most Americans are comfortable with taking.

No matter how many times they re-order their arguments that abortion is murder, the response will always be the same--that their conclusions are based upon subjective assumptions about which reasonable minds can and do differ and nothing about that has changed since page 1 of this thread.

vCash

Most of those qualities you posses Mid...so in your words your mother should have chose abortion?
    Go **** yourself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner:3581648
    We just experienced the 40th anniversary of a ruling about a subject which no one ever changed anyone's mind in an internet forum (well maybe once or twice). I'm illustrating the simple fact that all of these "abortion is murder" type arguments stem from subjective conclusions about a subject which reasonable minds can differ. They are not objectively and absolutely correct. When life begins is a matter for philosophers, not scientists. Therefore, to restrict someone's fundamental liberty interest based upon a subjective conclusion about which reasonable minds can and do differ is not a step most Americans are comfortable with taking.
    Question: Does God exist? If no, then how was the earth created?

vCash

If God exists, how does that change anything about your subjective conclusions based upon data upon which reasonable minds can differ?

As to whether God exists, neither you nor I know.

As to what I'm guessing is the forthcoming recitation of Aquinas' ontalogical argument, quantum physics is a really interesting field about which my knowledge is limited to what I've heard on NPR's Science Fridays. That said, some of the theories (which are scientific theories, mind you) state crazy things like something comes from nothing and something becomes nothing all the time. Quantum physics has done to Aquinas what the field of chemistry did to Aristotle's 4 elements.

'cept it'll probably be a long time coming as far as universal understanding or acceptance because in my personal experience, math is hard--especially when you start involving lots of Greek letters.
    Last edited by Midtowner; 1/26/2013 at 01:26 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The courts made a decision based on compromise...

There are strong arguments to both sides...

A women's ability to control her body...

A DNA strand from a zygote, embryo, or fetus will definitely be tested as human...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner:3581652
    If God exists, how does that change anything about your subjective conclusions based upon data upon which reasonable minds can differ?
    You just stated that scientists play no part in when life begins...so what data are you using for your reasonable mind?

vCash

You just stated that scientists play no part in when life begins...so what data are you using for your reasonable mind?
    The fact that there is no scientific data which says life begins at X time at Y second and upon the occurence of Z. To do so would require the scientist to import his own subjective conclusions which aren't provided by a developing zygote, fertilized egg, embryo or fetus.

If you think it does or someone says they have the answer, I can tell you definitively that they don't understand what science is or what it does.

vCash

If there are dividing cells it is alive...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SanJoaquinSooner's Avatar
    vCash

How predictable! If one is using contraceptives, why would she need a morning after pill. IOW, no. If there's a pregnancy, that is abortion. This is not complicated, you know.
    That's not difficult to imagine. Suppose the guy is a clumsy brute and semen enters the vagina in spite of an attempt to use a condom. The female may choose to seek an after morning pill. Do you have any problem with her legally obtaining and using an after morning pill?
    Ingles solamente (¡no exepciones!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner:3581655
    The fact that there is no scientific data which says life begins at X time at Y second and upon the occurence of Z. To do so would require the scientist to import his own subjective conclusions which aren't provided by a developing zygote, fertilized egg, embryo or fetus.

If you think it does or someone says they have the answer, I can tell you definitively that they don't understand what science is or what it does.
    So all the scientists who have "proven" evolution, "proven" big bang...etc have also added their own subjective conclusions?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    If there are dividing cells it is alive...
    And that's one of many possible subjective conclusions as to when life begins.

vCash

So all the scientists who have "proven" evolution, "proven" big bang...etc have also added their own subjective conclusions?
    All of those are theories, they are not laws. They are not testable, demonstrable or immutable. However, they are extraordinarily likely, supported by literal mountains of data and are constantly being challenged with new data. They are also things which occurred over billions and trillions of years and are not remotely the same as the question as to when life begins, which is about as testable and demonstrable as the theory that exactly 79 angels can dance on the head of a pin (without discounting for the possibility of some of those angels being cherubs, and everyone knows .75 cherubs per angel).

And yes, I'm making fun of all of the folks who think they can objectively prove when life begins.... everyone knows that's when the Prophet Mohammad appears and breathes soul into the zygote 36 minutes after implantation.

vCash
    Who says the earth is billions/trillions years old? The same scientists that cant tell when life begins? I think you're starting to talk in circles. ..

vCash

Who says the earth is billions/trillions years old? The same scientists that cant tell when life begins? I think you're starting to talk in circles. ..
    Earth is billions of years old. 3.5 billion years. This is observable through dating, geology and what have you.

Kind of like how the Sun doesn't revolve around the Earth and if you try to sail from one end of the world to the other, you won't sail off the edge.

I'm only talking circles because I'm having to explain to you what science is and you're apparently not smart enough to grasp it.

Go read books.

vCash

Duh, Big Bang or First Cause...now, don't you DARE ask what created either of those, or the nature of the Creator. NOBODY knows that. BUT DON'T YOU CALL THAT (WHATEVER THING)GOD!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Duh, Big Bang or First Cause...now, don't you DARE ask what created either of those, or the nature of the Creator. NOBODY knows that. BUT DON'T YOU CALL THAT (WHATEVER THING)GOD!

vCash

Again, as I said, quantum physics is a really interesting field and worth looking into.