Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Re: When do you start blaming Bob Stoops for

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post
    If you had paid attention you would have seen that my point is that Bob needs to adjust the things he can control to put us in a better position to get a championship. You can't help injuries and attrition on your staff, players graduating/leaving for NFL. BUT, you CAN fix a defense that sucks when you have the measure of talent that we supposedly have.
    You do realize that our only loss this yr is to the #1 team in the nation and the game wasnt decided until the final 4 minutes or else we would be #1 and on our way to another Big 12 title and a possible natl title which we may still play for
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Radio ? whats that ?

Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by St. Louis Sooner View Post
    BV's problems are not that he can't handle the spread offenses, it's bigger than that; it's because O-coordinators have figured him out; they know how to attack his schemes, and they know how he thinks & teaches his kids; it all became obvious to me when our D gave up over 500 yards to one of the worst big12 teams on oct. 25;
    I think you're as close to actuality as anybody here. What I saw on Saturday was almost too-aggressive playiing...gambling for the turnovers (and got five) but missing a few that turned into big plays. And poor tackling, besides.

What I see as the weakness here is that the idea of blitzing has gotten crazy. It puts way too much pressure on successful coverage, or at least superb tackling in the secondary. Somehow the front four (or five) has to generate the pressure against these offenses. One of the telling comments I read after the Big 12 championship was Daniel grumbling at his line about not picking up the blitz...and then being informed that we weren't blitzing. Which was pretty much the case.

I don't think the current defense is that far off from being a pretty decent defense. Dominating? Probably not. But certainly very solid, and capable of stopping anybody when necessary. The second half looked a lot better than the first half did. The question comes up as to why adjustments were so necessary, but all I remember reading beforehand was how KSU would bring a good running game and then Freeman was throwing like crazy. If he was a more accurate passer, we'd have been in deeper doo-doo.

The defense to me is just weak enough that compounded with poor special teams play can be a killer. So far it's really hurt us once. We could be living on borrowed time, to use the cliche. Maybe we get it fixed. Maybe not. At least we have two respectable opponents to learn on for the next two weeks, followed by a bye. We're gonna need it.

vCash

BOB Stoops himself said that OU fans should expect him to win national championships. I was there the day he said it. He has said that winning championships is what every Sooner fan SHOULD expect. I understand that we are young on defense, were we young when USC torched us for 55 points? Were we young when Boise drove down the field to score on us? How about when Oregon went down the field like we weren't even there( sure, they shouldn't have had the ball, but still we could do nothing to stop them). This excuse about being young is getting rather lame for a staff that tells us to expect national championships.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cheezyq View Post
    If you had paid attention you would have seen that my point is that Bob needs to adjust the things he can control to put us in a better position to get a championship. You can't help injuries and attrition on your staff, players graduating/leaving for NFL. BUT, you CAN fix a defense that sucks when you have the measure of talent that we supposedly have.
    If you had paid attention to my post you would have seen that my issue was not with you pointing out the defensive ineptitude this year, but was in fact with the whole "we demand championships, and not the conference variety" pomp and circumastance in your original post. Its one thing to say, "The defense could be better, but I'm happy with the team overall," versus being a disgrutled fan who is unhappy with the current state of the team and thinks the coaching staff is doing an inadequate job (which is the vibe I got from your original post).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DangTire View Post
    Losing isn't bad. Giving up a million yards, and a ton of points, and looking like dog **** each and every time the defense takes the field is. If you don't mind looking like you haven't practiced in a month then you're as mediocre as Vulnerables. It's time he's shown the door. If Bobby can't see that or he keeps his buddy in a job he can't do then he's a part of the problem as well.
    The flip side of that equation is holding the opponent to 150 yards, a field goal and losing a la Auburn.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sooner n houston View Post
    Truely, who would you whiners suggest we replace Venables with?

He is one of the best in the business. We are not going to win every game, live with it!
    Bob Stoops.

I think it's kinda funny that you've got enough self-doubt about your position that you're calling us names. Whiners? Really? Weak sauce, dude.

I don't ask that we win every game we play -- but I do ask that our coaches "win" by putting superior units on the field at least 60 percent of the time. Vulnerables has managed to field superior defenses 1 year out of 5 since he's been calling the shots on defense.

That's an F in anybody's book.

Would you all please be so kind as to try and explain to me why anyone would think its Bobs fault? Thanks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Collier11 View Post
    You do realize that our only loss this yr is to the #1 team in the nation and the game wasnt decided until the final 4 minutes or else we would be #1 and on our way to another Big 12 title and a possible natl title which we may still play for
    Well, I *know* we hit that stupid iceburg, but we haven't sunk -- so *clearly* there's no need to worry!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia View Post
    Would you all please be so kind as to try and explain to me why anyone would think its Bobs fault? Thanks.
    Already did, Mama, back on the first page. I said there were a couple reasons: First, I said that if you asked *him* he'd probably say it was his fault, as he's not one to pass the buck. As head coach, it's like being captain of a ship -- doesn't matter *if* it's your fault; it's always your fault.

And, more specifically in his case, he's responsible because he chooses the staff. If there's a coaching problem from someone like Vulnerables, it's Stoops' decision to fire or not fire Vulnerables. So Stoops bears that responsibility.

The fact that someone is at fault doesn't mean you say they set out to do something wrong -- it means, in this instance, that Bob is head coach. He's the Big Cheese, and as Big Cheese, he bears both ultimate power, and ultimate responsibility.

vCash

My new answer to every complaint about anything in life is going to be to say:

At least it's not the 90's!

or how about this varient: Would you rather go back to Boo Blake?

Yes sir/mam I'm going to use this to counter every complaint I hear, whether it's about football, the economy, traffic, politics, you name it. By Gawd! I'm going to put these complainers in their places!!!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    My new answer to every complaint about anything in life is going to be to say:

At least it's not the 90's!

or how about this varient: Would you rather go back to Boo Blake?

Yes sir/mam I'm going to use this to counter every complaint I hear, whether it's about football, the economy, traffic, politics, you name it. By Gawd! I'm going to put these complainers in their places!!!
    The 2nd alternative is to challenge them to go apply for a coaching job at OU since they know so much.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    The 2nd alternative is to challenge them to go apply for a coaching job at OU since they know so much.
    You're both wrong. Duh.

You're supposed to tell them to root for another team

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RedstickSooner View Post
    You're both wrong. Duh.

You're supposed to tell them to root for another team
    That is another classic.

...and don't forget to throw in there: "we don't need bandwagon fans like you anyway."
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

We are becoming spoiled, crybaby fans that expect perfection.
    It isn't just the defense; it is also the kicking game.
    Do you think that we would be criticizing Venables if Lofton did not go pro? I doubt it. We would have beaten Texas and be number 1 right now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jdsooner View Post
    We are becoming spoiled, crybaby fans that expect perfection.
    It isn't just the defense; it is also the kicking game.
    Do you think that we would be criticizing Venables if Lofton did not go pro? I doubt it. We would have beaten Texas and be number 1 right now.
    Yes we would, look back to last years defensive meltdowns when Lofton was still here.

The players may change, but one thing that has stayed constant is that our defense under Venables has underachieved.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Stoops Re: When do you start blaming Bob Stoops for

I BLAME BOB!!

I blame Bob for restoring OU to glory.
    I blame Bob for a national championship.
    I blame Bob for 104 wins against 23 losses.
    I blame Bob for 5 Big 12 Championships.
    I blame Bob for the longest home winning streak.

Yeah, let's fire Brent and get rid of Bob.
    Get real. Get lost. Spoiled crybabies.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash

I blame Obama for all my problems

vCash

Oh yeah I forgot the other most fabulous counter to all complaints: Just call them crybabies, and you know...say something about being spoiled and stuff.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jdsooner View Post
    I BLAME BOB!!

I blame Bob for restoring OU to glory.
    I blame Bob for a national championship.
    I blame Bob for 104 wins against 23 losses.
    I blame Bob for 5 Big 12 Championships.
    I blame Bob for the longest home winning streak.

Yeah, let's fire Brent and get rid of Bob.
    Get real. Get lost. Spoiled crybabies.
    Someone take your lunch money from you today?

Olevet Posse Pistolero