Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Norman home owner people

I'm looking in the near future to buy a house. Would like to stay near Norman. My company is moving to dowtown OKC so the drive isnt bad at all. Any real estate agents you recommend? All the same? I'm a first time buyer. Any help is appreciated.

I should say any serious help is appreciated. TIA

vCash

Re: Norman home owner people

i'd avoid one if i had the chance to do it over.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

The wife and I bought ours last year for 132K...it's now worth about 150K.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

Go to Open House OK to get an idea of the market. Be sure to map the homes you like to get a feel. North Norman (north of Robinson) or West Norman are the best for commuters to OKC.

Agreed, you don't need a realtor.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBOI's Avatar
    vCash

I still have a condo in Norman. Best place to raise a kid. I miss Norman.

vCash

With all the craziness of the market and what not right now does that make it good for a home buyer? I honestly dont have a clue.

vCash

It is a buyer's market right now as sellers are having a tough time unloading houses, especially ones over $150k. You can get a steal compared to a year or two ago. I feel sorry for anyone building new in this market as construction costs are getting any lower despite the low turnover on existing homes.

So, yes, I would love to be in a position to buy in this market (too bad I would have to sell my house first).

If you're wanting to stay in the Norman area, I'd wait a couple of months. A friend of mine who's an agent told me the Norman market is going to get jolted into reality really soon.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn68
    If you're wanting to stay in the Norman area, I'd wait a couple of months. A friend of mine who's an agent told me the Norman market is going to get jolted into reality really soon.
    Been hearing that for over a year now. The market has slowed significantly, but I don't expect a fallout. I have noticed new home construction has taken the biggest fall as there just isn't much going on right now. Too much existing inventory I assume. There are tons of new or nearly new homes on the market that have significantly lowered their asking price.

Plus, you have to weigh the potential lower cost in the future with the almost certain increase in mortgage rates. Waiting too long may get you a cheaper house, but the same or higher payment if the rates shoot up.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn68

It wont be any time this year. My lease is up in May so I'd like to have a place by then obviously. I had considered renting one more year to save but I understand first time buyers can get better deals. What do you mean that the Norman market is going to get jolted into reality? Meaning the prices are going to come down cause no one is buying?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

What's the difference as a buyer as to whether you have a realtor or not?

Why would you not recommend one?
    one day

vCash

If you decide to build, stay away from Home Creations.
    Do it for the Polar bears.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

in the end you are gonna pay one way or another. either higher home prices or higher interest rates.

Also I bought my house w/o a realtor. There are some homes that have exclusive listings. if you are with a realtor there are some homes where they won't get the commission. Granted most will go ahead and split the commision but they aren't requrired too.
    I started out using a realtor but when he acted like his time was more important than showing me a house I said forget it. I'll do it myself.

vCash

IMHO, you only need a realtor as a buyer to spoon-feed you listings off the MLS. However, you can easily find these listings on numerous websites (openhouseOK, realtor.com, etc.) or driving around. Pretty easy stuff.

Also, as a seller, you might need a realtor to either show your home when you are unavailable or list it on the MLS for you. Otherwise, I don't see a need to pay 6% when they don't actually do a whole lot. Certain types of homes and neighborhoods need realtors more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Petro-Sooner
    What do you mean that the Norman market is going to get jolted into reality?
    Norman and Edmond homes typically run higher than the rest of the metro. I've been looking for a house in Norman for about 2 years & I've come to the realization home sellers here are just nuts. The market is flooded in Norman. Check out openhouseok.com . When I started looking there were about 250 houses listed. Last time I looked there were over 500--and each house was overpriced by several thousand dollars.

Two examples:

One house we looked on Greenbriar that was listed for $220K. This house sold 2 1/2 years ago for $148K. It was on the market for over a year & finally sold a couple of months ago for $160K. Pure greed.

There's an old Victorian house on N. Peters that was for sale toward the first of the year for $269K. It's partially restored, corner lot, WIlson school, 2300 sf. We looked at it but $269K was re-frickin-diculous. It went off the market for about 4 months. I drove by it last month & now it's FSBO for $209K. It's still $60K too high.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IB4OU2's Avatar
    vCash

Call the Dillard Co. and talk to Steve Williams....He's my BIL's brother and a really nice guy.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

and gives you a cut for any referral?

Awesoministrator

vCash

If you're a first-time buyer, a realtor is very good to have -- unless you decide to educate yourself on all the ends and outs of real estate.

Either way, you (as a buyer) lose nothing out of having a realtor. You have someone that works solely for your interests and gets paid by the seller.

Sooner All-World
    vCash

not true all the time Rhino. if your realtor is also working for the home buyer of the house you want.

They are in the business to make money.

Awesoministrator

vCash

We're all in the business of making money.

And, so long as your in a city that bigger (OKC, Tulsa, Norman), you aren't going to run into many realtors trying to pit their prospective buyers against each other in a bidding war. And if they do, you're going to catch wind of it fairly quickly if you're smart.
    Last edited by Rhino; 8/21/2007 at 01:39 PM.