Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was in a car accident last week

The girl who ran the stop sign and hit me and my Sooner mobile has the same insurance agent as I do. I'm pretty banged up and went to the doctor. He wanted to run some expensive tests but the letter I got says that she only has $5000.00 in medical coverage, and to make matters worse, I just found out that my medical insurance wont pay for car accident owies.

I have a lot more coverage than that. Is that the minimum amount of coverage that people can have in Oklahoma?

Any advice?

Re: I was in a car accident last week

I thought it was 10/20/10

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

We had a car get totaled in our driveway which ended up wiping out the neighbor's car too. The driver only had 10/20/10 but we had uninsured motorist so our car got fixed. Our insurance company ended up going after the guy personally for what his coverage didn't pay for.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

vCash

man, having the same agent, that's gotta be rough

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

I hope you are ok.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia
    The girl who ran the stop sign and hit me and my Sooner mobile has the same insurance agent as I do. I'm pretty banged up and went to the doctor. He wanted to run some expensive tests but the letter I got says that she only has $5000.00 in medical coverage, and to make matters worse, I just found out that my medical insurance wont pay for car accident owies.

I have a lot more coverage than that. Is that the minimum amount of coverage that people can have in Oklahoma?

Any advice?
    i think that means she only has $5000 medical coverage for herself. You can get her maximum policy. and if she doesn't have enough, you can make an un/derinsured motorist claim if you have UM coverage. Hopefully you have different adjusters.
    Whenever a boy comes you should always have something baking.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerbrat
    i think that means she only has $5000 medical coverage for herself. You can get her maximum policy. and if she doesn't have enough, you can make an un/derinsured motorist claim if you have UM coverage. Hopefully you have different adjusters.
    I would agree with brat. I've never seen one that would limit you to that low of an amount if it were here fault.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner_born_1960
    I hope you are ok.
    Thank you. It could have been much worse. I'm so worried that my insurance company will cancel me. I've had 3 hail damage claims, and now this. On one of the X-Rays, it looks like I have a chipped bone on my femur and my neck spine area is all messed up. I can barely walk because of some muscle or joint thing going on and my knee is really bad. The doctor said that he cant make any recommendations without further tests.

I really wish that my medical insurance would pay for the necessary tests. I have uninsured motorists but since she has insurance, would that pay for anything? The doctor wants me to have a couple of MRIs but since my insurance wont pay for it, I'm afraid to have them done.

I have State Farm.
    They sent me a letter wanting me to sign this form called...
    Authorization for Medical Release of Medical/Employment Information

Should I sign this right now or wait? I've only had one other traffic accident in my whole life, which was 20 years ago. I honestly don't have a clue as to what I should do.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Get better soon!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sooner_born_1960's Avatar
    vCash

I never would have thought my health insurance wouldn't cover me if I was in an automobile accident. Do you carry UM coverage. I think the "U" also stands for "under". You agent should explain what is and isn't covered.
    Where the hell is Mike Rich? He knows all about this stuff.

get an attorney

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Her BI coverage is the relevant coverage if she's at fault, not med pay. Med pay covers you and anyone in your vehicle when you're at fault.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member NormanPride's Avatar
    vCash

Get well soon, Mom!

You want I should go "collect" the money from this individual?
    Quote Originally Posted by badger
    I'm changing your sig while you're not looking while I borrow your computer.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Oh, yeah.

Official department vocabulary guidelines state that we no longer refer to them as "accidents" but as "collisions." "Accident" implies that there was nobody to blame.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

yet the policy, at least in texas, specifically covers an auto accident

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

It was a quote from "Hot Fuzz."

HMFIC
    vCash

Mama, I do this for a living. The minimum liability limits in Oklahoma are 25K/50K - there's plenty of coverage available to you. The 5K is medical payments coverage, which doesn't come out of the liability limits and pays medical bills arising out of an accident. Her med pay doesn't apply to you anyway, if it's on her policy. I'm not sure why they would have told you the med-pay limits on her policy anyway, since it's first-party coverage and would never apply to you. If you have med-pay on your policy, it will apply to pay your medical bills, and on top of that, you can recover for those bills again from her liability coverage. It's not unusual for a health insurer to refuse to cover bills related to a car accident.

Whatever the case, you should have the tests and treatment your doctor advises you to have. Worst case, you can have them file a lien on your insurance claim. Whatever you do, get the treatment/tests you need.

Check your PM.

vCash

HMFIC has spoken, you must obey
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMia
    I have State Farm.
    They sent me a letter wanting me to sign this form called...
    Authorization for Medical Release of Medical/Employment Information

Should I sign this right now or wait? I've only had one other traffic accident in my whole life, which was 20 years ago. I honestly don't have a clue as to what I should do.
    Don't sign anything, call the Texas Hammer! He'll get you money. Honestly, sounds like you need representation.

Hope you get better soon.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

...and, FWIW, instestingly, it makes no diff in OK whether its an "under" or "un-insured" sichiashun. If you have UM coverage, and the tortfeasor lacks sufficient coverage to pay your bills, I believe your carrier must pay from the "first dollar" under either circumstance.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes