Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 The Fake Don Dokken's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I AM THE GREATEST THREAD ENDER OF ALL TIME!!!

MSG for sure and UFO with Billy Sheehan.

Good times.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Billy Sheehan was in UFO? I actually got to sit in on a guitar (ok bass) lesson with him once. Was he in UFO before DLRoth?
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

vCash

Yes, it's all true. It was the band of Billy Sheehan's origin.

Lights out, lights out in London!

I saw Billy with Steve Vai at a 1986 DLRB concert. Too bad Dave was there.

vCash

The last few posts take me back to a time when Anthrax was actually a metal band and not some punk-yuppy group or something that is being mailed to political leaders.
    My kids rock the flock!

[loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by The Fake Don Dokken
    Yes, it's all true. It was the band of Billy Sheehan's origin.

Lights out, lights out in London!

I saw Billy with Steve Vai at a 1986 DLRB concert. Too bad Dave was there.
    Take it easy.... Dave was the best when he was in his prime. He did dlame out pretty haard though. A few years back I got to see Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Patrucci, and Paul Gilbert all on the same stage. I was front and center when Satriani played Satch Boogie. Sooooo awesome.

vCash

The Satchman is bald these days...and he still appears to weight in at 110. Super flyweight.

I enjoy The Ticket's renditions of The Fake Jerry Jones, The Fake Mark Cuban, etc. I also enjoy wondering what happened to spare metal stars of the mid-to-late 80s.

So, I decided to combine the two.

There were several people to choose from. I flirted with the idea of being The Fake Klaus Meine, The Fake Udo Dirkschneider, and The Fake Kip Winger. But, each had its own problem.

First, few would know that Meine was the lead singer of the Scorpions and Dirkschneider was the lead singer of Accept. Additionally, I couldn't really throw anyone from the Scorpions into the spare category once I really thought about it. And, Accept and Dirkschneider were too obscure with just one America hit, "Balls To The Wall."

So, I figured I'd go with a recognizable American metal spare who had named a band after himself. Winger was obvious. But, really, it's even shameful to air the Winger name, even in spoof.

Finally, there was Dokken. I remembered how cheesy Dokken was...the cheesy motto "State of the Art Rockin' With Dokken!"...the ubiquitous trite metal lyrics such as "I'm alone again, without you."

To me, Dokken rose above the Wingers, Warrants, and Poisons of the 80s metal deluge, but never quite attained the status of the Van Halens, the Scorpions, the Metallicas, etc.

I knew, then, that The Fake Don Dokken would be perfect. And, so, here I am...The Fake Don Dokken.

Just as an aside...I change screen names about once a year. Last year, I posted under the monkier MC Humpty Sooner. My M.O. there was to establish a Travian Smith Fan Club.

I'll change moniker again sometime late in the fall or early in the winter. And, again, I'm sure it'll be something to preserve the great 80s cultural cheese. A cursory brainstorm has brought forth the names of Crimson Hasselhoff and Big Red MacGyver.
    How about the Fake Stephen Pearcy? Big band, lots of tunes but not huge status.

vCash

Ratt was awesome in the day. They had a nice edginess to them, plus you could actually understand the lyrics to most of there songs.
    My kids rock the flock!

Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder
    Ratt was awesome in the day. They had a nice edginess to them, plus you could actually understand the lyrics to most of there songs.
    Agreed

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerV
    Agreed
    Sure they were borderline hair wussies, but Demartini was a player deluxe. He never really got his due either. Ricky Ratt.

vCash

Pearcy lacks the name recognition of Dokken. I liked Ratt until about 1988 when I heard their bass player say they were bigger than Led Zeppelin.

Hmmm. Perception problems in the band?

Dont get me wrong. I listened to every Dokken album there was. I think Tooth and Nail was my fav

vCash

CRUE!

My kids rock the flock!

vCash

Yes, Crue - before they all got fat

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

I recall growing up the serious guitar players I knew idolized Ratt's axeman (Demartini?)

vCash

Yeah, our little garage band played "Round and Round" and "Lay It Down." Good times.

vCash

"Lay It Down" is my favorite Ratt song of all times. "Wanted Man" is also a fav.

Did anyone else get into Cinderella's music? I always like there bluesy edge.
    My kids rock the flock!

vCash

I saw Cinderella twice - 1986 as the opening band for the David Lee Roth Band, and 1987 as the opening band for Bon Jovi.

Cinderella looked stupid on YV, but they were great live. Bon Jovi sucked live. David Lee Roth was an ***, but Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai rocked!

vCash

I saw Cinderella twice - 1986 as the opening band for the David Lee Roth Band, and 1987 as the opening band for Bon Jovi.

Cinderella looked stupid on YV, but they were great live. Bon Jovi sucked live. David Lee Roth was an ***, but Billy Sheehan and Steve Vai rocked!
    HEH!!! That is funny you mentioned that. I saw Cinderella at the Myriad when they opened for Bon Jovi on there 7800 Degrees Fahrenheit tour. Cinderella was awesome, and my nephew and I left half through Bon Jovi's set, because they sucked soooooooooo bad live. I'm glad I'm not the only one. At least Cinderella rocked that night. "Shake Me" is my favorite song of there's!
    My kids rock the flock!

vCash

Yeah, being at a Bon Jovi show back then - as now - is always the work of female companions. Women are teh greatest of God's creations, even if their musical tastes often suck.