Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Why does Capel make more $ than Coale?

I don't mean to slam him but what gives?Sherri has established the womans team as a national player and Capel is rebuilding a program that does not appear to be on par with the Lady Sooners.According to KWTV 9 Sherri got a $250,000 raise bringing her up to $595,000 and Capel makes $705,000 .It doesn't make sense to me.Sorry,I have no link just saw it on 6PM news.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hurricane'bone's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Why does Capel make more $ than Coale?

Coale's overall record with the Sooners is 232-118. OU regents on Wednesday approved $250,000 raise for Coale, bumping her annual guaranteed compensation to $800,000, and extended her contract by seven years to 2017.
    Story from The Oklahoman

Probably because womens basketball doesn't make half as much as mens basketball.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Same reason why I make more $$ than my wife. He's a man. pffftt

Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Ron
    Same reason why I make more $$ than my wife. He's a man. pffftt

That is EXACTLY what my wife said.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SOONER STEAKER's Avatar
    vCash

Mens basketball is considered a revenue producing sport whereas women's may not be considered a revenue producing sport.

Also, men coaches make more at the D-1 level and to get a good coach one has to pay the national average or above.

If a bigtime school made a run at Coale, I think she would be given a healthy raise which is what happened today, she was given a $250K raise and she now makes something in the neighborhood of $800K. Which isn't bad for a women's coach.
    Here I sit just a flexin, giving birth to another UT grad.

vCash

So basically what everyone is saying is that if you want to make it big without trying your hardest; their are 3 rules:

1)Drop Out of School
    2)Become a guy if not one already
    3)Go coach somewhere because your bound to make money.

You can't compare Coal's salery to Capel's, You compare Coal with other women's coaches. That's probably the best comparison.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The Womens program loses money...............

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CobraKai's Avatar
    vCash

The same reason the world's most successful teachers make less than an average doctor. The market sets the price for both.
    "That's a painting of me taking the bull by the horns. Its a metaphor. But that really happened."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jimminy Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by fwsooner22
    The Womens program loses money...............
    I believe the OU women are one of probably less than a dozen programs that actually turn a profit...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jimminy Crimson
    I believe the OU women are one of probably less than a dozen programs that actually turn a profit...

Not True.....Football is the only program that operates in the black.....read that in one of the OU circulars one month.....which, if they didn't have so many of those they might have a little more $$$

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWingSooner
    You can't compare Coal's salery to Capel's, You compare Coal with other women's coaches. That's probably the best comparison.

I compare coal with crude oil or solar power.....Now, Coale you are probably correct.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Off-season ya know!

vCash

Don't apologize. If people don't want to take the time to spell things correctly, and to put a premium on doing so when they allow their words and thoughts to appear in a public forum, then they are bringing the ridicule upon themselves. As for the jist of what he said though, it's dead-on.

Coale makes less because she coaches the women's team at OU. They don't make money. The men's team does historically... albeit barely lately, I'm sure. I'll bet Pat Summit makes more than Coach Caple.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

You pay what the market demands. It demands more for men's coaches.

vCash

Yep.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Streaker, Sooner in Heaven, Sooner 4 Ever
    Mens basketball is considered a revenue producing sport whereas women's may not be considered a revenue producing sport.

Also, men coaches make more at the D-1 level and to get a good coach one has to pay the national average or above.

If a bigtime school made a run at Coale, I think she would be given a healthy raise which is what happened today, she was given a $250K raise and she now makes something in the neighborhood of $800K. Which isn't bad for a women's coach.
    This arguement is not really valid any longer. Per Thursday's announcement (if I read correctly), Sherri Coale and OU has fully endowed every Sooner Women's Bball scholly through donations to the University. This would mean that it just got a lot less expensive to run the womens bball program. So the women's program may not be fully revenue, but it just got a lot closer and easier to that to happen. And, that kind of fund-raising should at least equal contract compared to Capel IMO.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

For the same reason female models make more money than male models? They generate more revenue. That's why Pat Summitt gets paid the big bucks.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SoonerInKCMO's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by the_ouskull
    Don't apologize. If people don't want to take the time to spell things correctly, and to put a premium on doing so when they allow their words and thoughts to appear in a public forum, then they are bringing the ridicule upon themselves. As for the jist of what he said though, it's dead-on.

Coale makes less because she coaches the women's team at OU. They don't make money. The men's team does historically... albeit barely lately, I'm sure. I'll bet Pat Summit makes more than Coach Caple.

the_ouskull
    Heh.
    We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics. FDR.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerInKCMO
    Heh.
    Don't . If people don't want to take the time to spell things correctly, and to put a premium on doing so when they allow their words and thoughts to appear in a public forum, then they are bringing the Heh upon themselves. As for the jist of what he said though, it's dead-on.