Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 73-74-75

UFC 73-74-75

There are some good ones coming soon.

Marquardt vs Silva
    Evans vs Ortiz
    Herring vs Nogueira - Waiting on this debut forever.

Couture vs Gonzaga
    Koscheck vs St-Pierre

Jackson vs Henderson
    Cro Cop vs Kongo
    Hamil vs Bisping

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – Ultimate Fighting Championship® President Dana White today announced that Croatian superstar Mirko “Cro Cop” will return to the Octagon™ in September and take on France’s Cheick Kongo in a featured heavyweight bout at UFC 75 in London’s new O2 Arena. White delivered the UFC 75 announcement today live from Las Vegas via satellite on ESPN’s The Hot List and discussed the upcoming bout with host Scott Reiss.

“Mirko ‘Cro Cop’ is fighting Cheick Kongo from France,” said White. “He’s six foot four and two hundred and forty pounds – he’s huge. They are both strikers. Cheick Kongo is a very good striker and he’s good with his feet, knees and hands – it’s going to be a very interesting matchup.”

White also commented on the UFC’s continued dominance in sports and his mission to hold events in countries all over the world.

“We’ve done so well over here in the last six years in the U.S., we have this product…it translates all the cultural barriers, language barriers and we know this can work worldwide. We opened an office in London and we will have done three events in the UK this year, and they will all have been successful. Our plan is to move out into Europe and next year go into Italy, Spain, Germany, France, etc.”

ESPNEWS was the first to deliver official news of Cro Cop’s Octagon-return since his loss by knockout to Brazil’s Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 70 in Manchester. The 2006 PRIDE Open Weight Grand Prix Champion was expected by many to defeat the Brazilian heavyweight and face Randy Couture for a heavyweight title fight at UFC 74. Instead, Gonzaga caught Cro Cop with a right leg kick to the head, sending him to the canvas in a stunning upset nine seconds before the end of the first round.

In a press conference held in London, Cro Cop spoke about his condition, his last fight and his desire to get back into the Octagon. He also stated his fight prediction and that he is already training full-time in preparation for UFC 75.

“I am one of the most dangerous strikers in the world,

but unfortunately, I did not prove that reputation in my last fight,” said Cro Cop.

“It was a great shock for me and I believe for all my fans and I was very disappointed. But I am a true professional and fighting is my life so I’m training harder than ever. And in the next fight I will be better than ever so I hope you will all be there to see it. I am going to beat my opponent. As I already told you, it was a shock for me and many people ask me if I am okay, if I am injured – it didn’t look good – that my ankle twisted, that my knee was looking bad, but it’s okay now. I have started running already, I started full training already and I am dying for my next fight.”

Cro Cop will take on Kongo, who like himself, is a kickboxer turned mixed martial artist. Not much was known of the 6’4” 240-pound Paris-native when he made his UFC 61 debut in July of 2006 against Gilbert Aldana. He had an impressive record and a stellar reputation as a fearsome kickboxer, but many wondered if he could compete in the MMA arena. He answered that question quickly as he halted the rugged Aldana in the first round. Kongo then jumped back and scored another first round stoppage at UFC 62, this one over Christian Wellisch. At UFC 70, the same night that Cro Cop was taken down, Kongo triumphed with a majority decision over popular Brazilian heavyweight Assuerio Silva, scoring his third win in the UFC.

Cro Cop vs. Kongo is the third bout announced for UFC 75. Last week the UFC announced the main event championship bout Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Dan “Hollywood” Henderson along with the special attraction Michael “The Count” Bisping in a light heavyweight battle vs. his bitter rival Matt “The Hammer” Hamill.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rufnek05's Avatar
    vCash

Re: UFC 73-74-75

whats the date for 75?
    Thats what the internet is for--slandering others anonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by rufnek05
    whats the date for 75?

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=event.ppvhome

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

who do you think Liddell will fight next or when?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TMcGee86's Avatar
    vCash

those are good fights. Evans/Ortiz is going to be interesting to watch.

I think Nogueira should destroy Heath, I watched him here in Houston and was not impressed at all.

Koscheck/ GSP will be fun to watch as well. I would imagine GSP pummels him but Josh is pretty strong if it goes to the ground I could see him controlling the fight.

Sooner Benchwarmer springs sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by usmc-sooner
    who do you think Liddell will fight next or when?

Wanderlei Silva sometime in the fall is the what Chuck said the other day. that winner is to then to fight the winner of Rampage and Hendo.

I read that W. Silva is taking the rest of the year off and it's total bullshi* that Liddell get's a title shot so quickly after a loss.

Dana White is a GIANT *ICK.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 HskrGrl's Avatar
    vCash

I want to make Tito my love slave, but unfortunately I just can't compete with Jenna Jameson.

Quote Originally Posted by HskrGrl
    I want to make Tito my love slave, but unfortunately I just can't compete with Jenna Jameson.

Heh. She's taken more shots to the face than Tito has......

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 HskrGrl's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KC//CRIMSON
    Heh. She's taken more shots to the face than Tito has......
    OMG! Major spek!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

Marquardt vs Silva
    Evans vs Ortiz
    Herring vs Nogueira - Waiting on this debut forever.
    Rashaad and Tito is going to be a fun fight to watch (I hope).

I'm anxious to see how Nogueira adapts to the Octagon.

Couture vs Gonzaga
    Koscheck vs St-Pierre
    Randy vs. Gabe . . . should be interesting.

Josh vs. George? I see a slapfest.

Jackson vs Henderson
    Cro Cop vs Kongo
    Hamil vs Bisping
    Now this is what I'm talkin' about . . . except that I would've loved for the rumor to have been true about Shamrock vs. Bisping.

Herb Dean fans will love this . . .

I'm anxious to see how Nogueira adapts to the Octagon.
    Nogueria and his style was made for the Octagon. It will fit him like a tailor made suit.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 rufnek05's Avatar
    vCash

i want to see cro cop fight again. his last fight was disappointing
    Thats what the internet is for--slandering others anonymously.

Sooner Benchwarmer springs sooner's Avatar
    vCash

I read that W. Silva is taking the rest of the year off and it's total bullshi* that Liddell get's a title shot so quickly after a loss.

i just saw that also. oh well i kind of think W Silva is overrated anyway.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

traditionally if a champion loses he gets a rematch fairly quickly but that is kinda quick.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc-sooner
    traditionally if a champion loses he gets a rematch fairly quickly but that is kinda quick.

His last fight was a rematch.

Also saw where Shogun is supposed to fight in UFC 76 opponet TBA.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member critical_phil's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner_Bob
    Rashaad and Tito is going to be a fun fight to watch (I hope)...
    i can't stand tito, but i don't think Rashaad is quite ready for him yet. i hope i'm wrong.

Josh vs. George? I see a slapfest.
    why? GSP is a very active fighter, and Josh seems to be getting much more aggressive as he gains experience.

. . except that I would've loved for the rumor to have been true about Shamrock vs. Bisping.
    Shamrock is going to be eating pureed peas in a nursing home @ age 50 if he keeps taking these fights. seriously, he's gonna get hurt. plus, the UFC just terminated his contract.

as far as the bisping-hamill fight, i sure hope hamill has improved or bisping will rock him. athletically, hamill may be the biggest freak in the UFC. just think how dominant he would be if he could ever get into shape and weren't so passive.

on a related note, the other day i noticed that the WEC is now showing fights on the VS. network (if you get that channel). most of the fighters aren't UFC caliber (except Uriah Faber, who is an animal @ 145. Brian Stann looks to have real talent as well). the talent is probably on par with, or a little less than, the IFL - but the WEC has a cage. and people, including me, like the cage. stopping a fight because of the ropes just kills the natural flow of a fight.

i guess Zuffa is trying to strike while the iron is hot - or they're trying to take over the world, depending on your point of view. i noticed they were already pimping a Pulver-Faber fight on the ultimate fighter finale the other night. i don't like Dana White, but he's a genius (or an idiot). time will tell.

also, it looks like Mark Burnett wants a piece of the pie.

This is how you could have beat who is probably the second best fighter in the world and blow it. Although, Nog has already beat him twice in the past.

http://pic7.piczo.com/MMA-FIGHTS71/?g=40857522

Big Nog is going to be around a while and has a good chance to be HW champion.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner_Bob's Avatar
    vCash

I can't believe Heath didn't finish Big Nog. It's like he expected the fight to get stopped or something.

Honestly, I'm surprised the fight wasn't stopped. Herb Dean would've probably stepped in.

I watched the WEC last Thursday and was pretty impressed with Faber.

vCash