Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner n houston's Avatar
    vCash

What are your thoughts about this professor?

Oklahoma U Crushes A Prof's Free Speech
    By David Deming
    FrontPageMagazine.com | February 2, 2004

I am associate professor of geology and geophysics at the University of Oklahoma in Norman. I receive teaching evaluations that run from average to outstanding. I have more scholarly publications than half the full professors in my department. But as I sit here writing, three of my four classes have been cancelled. I am scheduled to be moved out of the office I have occupied for the last twelve years into a dank hole in the basement that was never intended to be used as office space. Recent events are the culmination of four years of retaliation, intimidation, and harassment. You see, I don't have the right politics. What's worse is that I'm not submissive and I refuse to be bullied and intimidated.

My troubles began in March of 2000 when I published a "letter to the editor" in the campus newspaper that some people found offensive. Responding to a female columnist who claimed that possession of a firearm made every gun owner a potential murderer, I pointed out by way of analogy that her possession of an unregistered sexual organ made her a potential prostitute. For writing this letter, twenty-five charges of sexual harassment were filed against me by people I had never met. My attitudes, convictions, and beliefs were put on trial in a secret Star Chamber proceeding. After I admitted (gasp) that I was a member of the National Rifle Association, I was asked this question: do you think the Nazis were bad people?

For publishing "the letter," I received a formal letter of reprimand from Dean John T. Snow. After receiving the reprimand, I asked Dean Snow how the publication of my controversial letter would affect my position at OU with regard to issues such as promotion and raises. Instead of reassuring me that my expression of a political opinion would not affect my professional career, Snow said that the answer was "unclear." In a statement that I believe was intended to intimidate me, Snow said that in making future decisions he would "weigh in" how much I had learned from past experiences.

I forwarded a copy of Dean Snow's letter of reprimand to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE). Alan Kors, co-founder of FIRE, read Snow's remarks and said he found them to be "alarming." He wrote to Dean Snow:

(Y)our letter and other communications to Professor Deming strike at the heart of his, the university’s, Oklahoma’s, and this nation’s freedom of thought and expression.

Dean Snow retaliated for the FIRE letter by refusing to forward a routine application I made for funding. If I had received the funding, it would have benefited not just me but Snow's own College.

This was not my first experience with Dean Snow's intolerance. Years earlier, I had attended a College faculty meeting where Snow suggested that the University of Oklahoma should model itself after Pennsylvania State University. I naively pointed out that the expectation was unrealistic, as Pennsylvania was a much wealthier and populous state than Oklahoma. In retort, Snow glared at me and said that what was wrong with the College was attitudes held by "people like you." In other words, anyone who disagreed with John Snow was a problem—dissent would not be tolerated in Dean Snow's College.

Other faculty members at the University of Oklahoma have had similar experiences with Dean John T. Snow. A few years ago, the unanimous faculty of the Geology Department sent a letter to Dean Snow that said, "We question your willingness to work with us rather than dictate to us, and your respect for us as a faculty and as individuals." A professor who is now at a different institution said that he left OU because he was told bluntly that if he criticized the administration of Dean Snow's College he would "never get tenure" no matter how good his teaching and research were. When I questioned Snow's commitment to intellectual diversity, a colleague warned me that he expected Snow to "put your severed head on a spike."

In April of 2001, OU President David Boren proclaimed that a policy of "complete free speech" applied to the entire OU campus, but Boren's policy is nothing but empty rhetoric and public relations. Under David Boren's leadership, the degree to which academic freedom and free speech at OU have been suppressed is breathtaking, and perhaps unprecedented at an American university.

The archives for the campus newspaper, The Oklahoma Daily, that published my original letter and articles on the resulting controversy, have been deleted from the Daily's website. The records for the months covered by the controversy, February, March, and April, of the year 2000 are conspicuous by their absence. Columnist Wendy McElroy wrote that this was one example of "a politically-correct pattern of purging conservative views from student newspapers [that] seems to be spreading across American campuses." She went on to note that a central theme of George Orwell's classic novel 1984 was the falsifying of history by the Ministry of Truth. People who said or wrote the wrong things were simply purged from the historical archives.

OU vigorously pursued sexual harassment charges against me for writing the aforementioned "letter to the editor." The charges were only dismissed when my attorneys threatened a First Amendment lawsuit. OU agreed not to retaliate against me, but I have never been treated the same since. Now, when I write a "letter to the editor," it is cut out of the newspaper and placed in my personnel file.

On my professional evaluation for 2001, the Chairman of the OU Geology Department, Roger Slatt, marked me down for publishing a letter in the Oklahoma City newspaper that criticized OU's sexual harassment policy. In his words, my rhetoric showed "contempt and resentment" toward the University. I am sure there are numerous instances where a professor has claimed political bias in matters such as promotion, raises, and tenure. But I have never heard of another instance where an administrator openly discussed a professor's politics on his professional evaluation.

On October 15, 2002, several OU faculty published a letter in the campus newspaper that criticized President Bush's policy on Iraq. None of them were punished for doing so. The letter began with the statement that the signers were "dedicated to the idea that the university is one of the last places where free speech and open debate and dissent are possible.…" I noted with some astonishment that at least one of the signatories was a professor who had filed sexual harassment charges against me for doing the same thing she was now doing—expressing a controversial opinion.

That same year, it was shown to me in no uncertain terms what was expected of me. I published a letter in the campus newspaper that complimented President Boren's free speech policy. But my statement was interpreted by Geology Chairman Roger Slatt as a personal compliment for President Boren. He promptly rewarded me with an "outstanding" evaluation for "praising President Boren." I am not aware of any other American university where faculty are rewarded on their professional evaluations for publicly praising the university president. I know this sounds unbelievable, but it was done in writing—and I can produce copies.

In the spring of 2003 I went through post-tenure review. My "letters to the editor," written on political subjects totally unrelated to my professional work, were cut out of the newspaper and appended to my dossier by Geology Chairman Roger Slatt. They are still there. This unprecedented action was completely analogous to a professor stapling a student's political letters to their examinations. In a subsequent meeting, Dr. Slatt told me that in his opinion it is impossible for a faculty member to speak as an individual. I protested to OU Provost Nancy Mergler. She admitted to me that if I had used a student's political views as the basis for assigning a grade I would have been crucified. But she refused to reprimand Dr. Slatt or even ask him to apologize.

On November 21, 2003, Dean Snow's office circulated by e-mail an article that claimed there were not enough women faculty in the geosciences. The authors argued that women should not have to meet the same standards as men. I responded by circulating—on the same email list—an editorial I had written that argued against Affirmative Action for women. The gist of my argument was that inequalities in numbers do not necessarily imply inequities. I pointed out that although there may be relatively few women in disciplines like geoscience and engineering, females have advantages in other areas. For example, women live longer than men, receive higher grades in college, and are much less likely than men to end up in prison. Instead of addressing the issues, Geology Chairman Roger Slatt responded to my editorial with a personal attack. Acting with the imprimatur of his administrative authority, Roger Slatt circulated to all faculty, staff, and students in the College of Geoscience a statement that implied because I was against affirmative action I had dysfunctional relationships with women. I protested to Dean John Snow. But Chairman Slatt was not punished—I was.

Seven days before Christmas, I was summoned into the office of Dean John T. Snow. My tenure in the geology department was abrogated without due process. My geophysics class—for which I receive outstanding student evaluations—was taken from me without explanation. I was stripped of my right to supervise graduate students in geology and geophysics. I was evicted from my office and relegated to a small, dark room in a corner of the basement. No other faculty member in the entire College has office space assigned in the basement. Dean Snow glared at me and said that the fundamental problem was that I was not submissive to authority

The administration of the University of Oklahoma seems to want a generation of faculty that are servile, apathetic, and obsequious. No doubt that is what they will get.

After I contacted the media, two of my remaining classes were taken from me. Dean Snow has informed me that he nevertheless expects me to remain fully productive. The situation is not without precedent. The Egyptian Pharaoh punished rebellious Israelite slaves by requiring them to "make bricks without straw."

After taking office several years ago, OU President David Boren announced that the new mission of the University of Oklahoma was to attain "excellence," a goal which heretofore had been more commonly associated with companies that manufacture small kitchen appliances. For hundreds of years, it was universally understood that the mission of our universities was to pass on the core values of Western civilization through liberal education. The most important of these values are freedom of speech and thought; without them no scholarly pursuit or education is possible. My experience indicates that these values are now foreign to the University of Oklahoma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    David Deming is Associate Professor of Geology and Geophysics at the University of Oklahoma.
    "You learn so much from a loss like this," Ash said. "You learn what it takes to play at the level Oklahoma plays."

Administrator
    vCash

Re: What are your thoughts about this professor?

While I tend to agree with his political opinions, I think he's a complete dumbass, and pretty much deserves what's coming to him. Like it or not, free speech isn't neccesarily free. Sounds to me like he has an axe to grind more than anything.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

He's doing the exact same thing that he is bitching about by having this published...IMHO

caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow
    vCash

Sounds fishy. If he has a cause of action, then he needs to be presenting his case in court. Otherwise, he might take the opportunity to stfu.
    I got a bad mustache
    a recurring rash
    and not a lot of cash.
    I spend it on my stash.
    Man it's good to be a geek!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    A better idea would be for posters to stop being cockgobbling dooshrockets for the sport of it.

Trust me, this guy is a loony bin. The Geology Department has been trying to figure out some way of giving him the boot for a long time.

He's Grade A nuts. The sooner OU finds a way to get rid of him the better.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SweetheartSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm actually in one of his classes now. Wow.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KaiserSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I remember the whole article incident back in 2000, but didn't know that repercussions against Deming had gone this far.

As a graduate of the Geosciences College, I have to say that those actions by Dean Snow and Roger Slatt are rather disturbing.

It is akin to the Nazis pushing those professors who were unwilling to submit to the political will of the Nazi regime out of their teaching positions in the early 30s.

vCash

They should get rid of him because of his political opinions???

How would you like to lose your job because of your political opinions?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 bdfuge's Avatar
    vCash

Very common in today’s politically correct world. Liberal puke is taking over our universities and it sickens me.

I have read other letters like this one, and have seen studies on the number of conservative professors in some of the larger universities and the studies results are sickening.

Texas for example, forgive me I forget the real number but it was something like 98 Liberal professors and only 3 or 4 Conservative.

This number is basically the same at all the major Universities done in the study and it’s alarming.

They love free speech. …Well as long as it goes along with the Liberal mindset they are drilling into today’s youth, and that’s a fact.

Speak with conservative viewpoints on campus and watch as the left crucifies you.

Go ahead Sooner Boarder or Oregon and denounce the truth and I will only laugh my *** off.

http://www.academia.org/campus_repor...er_2002_5.html

http://studentsforacademicfreedom.or...enn091203.html

http://chronwatch.com/content/conten...y.asp?aid=2337

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0108/p12s02-legn.html

And we wonder why our country is quickly going to hell in a hand basket.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

As anyone who has ever worked at a job where they are not the big cheese knows, sh** rolls downhill. There are certain things which, although they may be correct, you don't say to your superiors, or not at all. When you do something that causes them trouble, they're going to cause you trouble. That's just the way it works.

BTW, he could easily have found a much less controversial, but just as effective, example to refute the gun ownership claim than what he used--he was just looking to take a shot and stir up trouble.
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

His statement that started the whole thing is ridiculous anyway. Anyone can choose to carry a gun, but I didn't choose to be born with these sex organs I carry.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Born Sooner Bred
    His statement that started the whole thing is ridiculous anyway. Anyone can choose to carry a gun, but I didn't choose to be born with these sex organs I carry.
    Whether you agree with his opinion or not (and I certainly don't), he shouldn't lose his job over it.

Administrator
    vCash

Kaiser,

Time-out. Don't you think the whole "nazi" comparison is a little out there?

This guy sends a controversial letter to the editor. His boss reads it. He gets warned that in his position at OU these types of letters might be detrimental/embarrassing. He basically says "go **** yourself, I'm gonna say/do anything I want and there's nothing you can do about it."

Looks to me like OU is saying "wanna bet?"

People who pursue things like this (I've known a hundred of em' in my lifetime) - for whatever reason they're doing it for, are usually nut jobs.

If I popped off some letters to the editor that may cause my employer embarrassment, I should expect to hear about it. This guy is no different.

vCash

C&C, I understand what you're saying, but any university, as an employer, knows it has employees with unpopular, if not controversial, opinions. Universities are forums for debate and bizarro opinions should be (and often are) expected and tolerated.

So for OU to push this right-winger out of his job because it was "embarrassed" by his opinions or simply didn't agree with them is extremely weak.

And yes, that is precisely what the Nazis did at German universities. It took several months, if not years, but the Nazis purged their schools of anybody that didn't profess the same political beliefs.

Awesoministrator

vCash

I remember that whole incident. He was stupid for saying what he was saying.

Not to mention it garbaged up the papers for weeks.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Stoop Dawg's Avatar
    vCash

When did "freedom of speach" come to mean "freedom from social consequences of saying stupid things"?

So long as he hasn't been arrested yet, his freedom to say what he wants is still in tact.

vCash

"Well, I was told that I could listen to the radio at a reasonable volume."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

From what I can tell, this guy is a moron who is too big for his britches. There are lots of professor like that. I bet he's got tenure, which many folks like to use as a license to "say whatever I damn well please." At least it sounds like he's still doing his work, despite the time he's taking away from it trying to be a horse's ***. Another trait that sometimes accompanies tenure is sudden diminution of work output.

I wonder where he got his degrees from. Not to stereotype, since it's a proven fact that *******s live EVERYWHERE, but I bet he's not from around here...

Oh, and finally...

No professor should expect any less than what he's getting as a result of shooting off his mouth like that. It's easier to run a guy off than to fire them sometimes, and making them move all their crap down to the "dank basement" is a good way to accomplish that. I think it's funny, and I am impressed that the "powers that be" actually had the cajones to slap him down. That DOESN'T happen a lot more than it does.

Administrator
    vCash

Kaiser,

From reading his letter, it doesn't look to me like "the University is pushing him out of his job." It looks to me like he's pushing himself out of his job. The university merely asked him to cease and desist. Everything that's gone down since has been due to his own inability to "let it die."

He looks to be one of those numbskulls who has to make a "case" out of everything. And now, he's gone too far and has to play it out to the end. And, in the end, he'll lose. Deservedly so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member RacerX's Avatar
    vCash

Just don't take his stapler!