Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BASSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Angry texass is WAYYYYY overhyped, sportswriters are more biased than ever

Who's with me?

Apparently all sportswriters need to research is Colt McCoy and they are automatically #2 according to Athlon Sports.

The typical sportswriters these days don't do ANY research whatsoever.

John David Booty is automatically a 1st team all-american...oh really now why is that? Is he really that good to Carson Palmer and Matt Leinhart? HELL no. I guess if I go to NYC and put on a trojan jersey I have automatic admission to the heisman ceremony. JDB is good, don't get me wrong, but he isn't as super-star like his other QB buddies. Brian Brohm should be taking his spot as the first team all american. USC's LBs should be the spotlight in LA, not JDB.

Sportswriters, you all shouldn't be doing jack**** until you actually do some more in depth research on teams!!!!!!!

Let's talk about texas now. I hate em as we all do but I am going to try to be as unbiased as I possibly can about them. I do study my sooners but I also study texas very well(in order to beat your enemy, you must know them). Like every year they are a top 10 team and that is correct. HOWEVER, They should NOT be sitting up ANYWHERE in the top 3 spots and I will tell you why. Colt McCoy had an amazing season and threw for the highest percentage out of any other quarterback in the big 12. He threw for 29 TDs and ran for some, great executable QB although I give a lot of the credit to the offensive line that helped cushion his timing when throwing to receivers and/or scrambling. He had about 5-10 seconds to pass the ball EVERY single play. That juggernaut OL is now more powerless than it has been for a while. The only guys returning with experience and great talent are Ulatoski and Tony Hills Jr(both OTs)

Texas had one of the worst pass defenses in the country even with a jim thorpe award winner and an additional 1st round pick in the NFL draft. This next season they lose their entire secondary except for one man, marcus griffin and unless he's the second coming of OUr roy williams, I doubt their pass defense gets any better. Larry Macduff won't be called a savior just yet. To texass fans, MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MIND ABOUT AKINA! You guys flip-flop WAYYY too much about the guy. Do you like him now that he's taking over or do you want him out of austin?

Oh and a 3rd thing about texass, let's recap on what nearly happend to these guys last season as far as winning games:

-they got beat by ohio state...who could blame them?
    -needed a miracle to beat texas tech
    -got AMAZINGLY lucky to win against nebraska thanks to husker stupidity
    -got beat by a horrible KSU team that scored 45 points on them
    -got owned on their own turf against the aggies
    -nearly blew it in their bowl game against a mediocre iowa team.

This texass team had an OL and a secondary and DEs that are now all gone and you are gonna tell me that THIS team is going to be #2 in the NATION????? Please...I'll be surprised if this team even makes the trip to aggieville. They couldn't even establish a run game this season and why should they this season? Jamal Charles has proven to be a complete bust and we are going to hear all kinds of hype about vondrell mcgee and foss whitaker and how both RBs will be "future heisman candidates".

One thing that Greg Davis and Mack Daddy did that was INCREDIBLY stupid and probably could possibly cost them the big 12 championship. If you are being interviewed by the media, do you honestly reveal anything that shouldn't be revealed to the media? "We might run a similar offense to Florida's Leak/Tebow". Note to coaches: start watchin florida games, and you have that system beat down on the spot! Mack and Greg, you guys are MORONS!!!!!!!!! We would like to know what you guys are doing on defense as well . I mean we had an idea that they were going to use chiles and harris in someway last season but i thought chiles would go to WR and harris would play just a backup role...thanks for the info mack!

OUt of all the teams that texas plays, they have 5 opponents that should be labeled as question marks because they won't be easy wins(TCU...yes they could do it, they have a stellar DL and LB squad,aTm, us, nebbish, and okie state)

Is this team #2? you make the choice.
    "You know OU has won five conference championships and UT has only one so it's like......ok?"

- R.J. Washington

SoonerFans.com Elite Member soonerhubs's Avatar
    vCash

Re: texass is WAYYYYY overhyped, sportswriters are more biased than ever

Let them hype the team. I'll enjoy the shock they receive in October. Oh, and nice post btw.

It;s not hype if you back it up and it's not kinky if you do it more than once.

vCash

so are you saying that they are all hype or not hype coming into the season?
    "You know OU has won five conference championships and UT has only one so it's like......ok?"

- R.J. Washington

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by InTexasandImStuck
    It;s not hype if you back it up and it's not kinky if you do it more than once, every 35 years.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BASSooner
    so are you saying that they are all hype or not hype coming into the season?
    The whorns are all hype.

vCash

It;s not hype if you back it up and it's not kinky if you do it more than once.
    I'm sorry I don't quite understand your post. If you are saying that they are NOT hype, then I would like evidence and facts to back that up.

If you say that they are just plain hype, thank you for agreeing with me.

Oh and one thing I can NOT understand, even from some of OUr own soonerfans is that they seem to not even woner without a doubt that we lose to texas. It drives me insane! I almost yell at the computer when I see writers put this chickensh*t down! I think we can beat them! Wanna know how? See what they lost and see what we gained. and there you have it. I'll be here for the rest of the week AND weekend.

On a side note: I can show you PROOF how we could beat texas not easily but steadly. I could go step by step evaluating each team's positions and how well they compare to their counterparts.
    Last edited by BASSooner; 6/20/2007 at 06:08 PM.

- R.J. Washington

I'm sorry I don't quite understand your post. If you are saying that they are NOT hype, then I would like evidence and facts to back that up.

If you say that they are just plain hype, thank you for agreeing with me.
    I am saying until the season starts and a team flounders it isn't hype... Last yeart Kirk Kickmetothecurbstreit picked Miami and ND to play for the NC. Big time overhype looking back but then again if someone had said last spring that Wake Forest and GT would play in the ACC Championship game they would have been checked into the Houston Nutt house.

What I am saying is it isn't overhype until they fail. And if Syracuse and Baylor end up in the NC game well then all the experts are idiots.

I said Biiiiiiiitch-- goingoneight's Avatar
    vCash

I want 'em undefeated an ranked No. 2 in the nation coming into Dallas. Although I'd giggle like an aggie alone in a barn if they lost to TCU or K-State again.
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

Here's some Dallas Morning News hype for UT

SOUTH

1. Oklahoma
    Record: 10-2, 6-2

League losses: at Colorado, Texas

Bottom line: The Sooners are starting a first-year quarterback, which could make them vulnerable to a couple of early conference losses. But the defending Big 12 champs should be hard to beat by season's end with talent everywhere else. OU wins the South on tiebreakers.

2. Oklahoma State

League losses: at Nebraska, at OU

Bottom line: This program has serious momentum after pounding Nebraska last season and beating Alabama in the Independence Bowl. Road games at Georgia, Troy, Texas A&M, Nebraska and OU will be daunting, but the Cowboys have lots of fearless, young talent.

3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M

Bottom line: The passing game and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.

4. Texas A&M
    Record: 7-5, 4-4

League losses: Okla. St., at Nebraska, at OU, at Mizzou

Bottom line: Quarterback Stephen McGee is a stud on an offense that mauls people. But key losses on defense and a road schedule that includes Miami (Fla.), Texas Tech, Nebraska, OU and Missouri will trip up the Aggies.

5. Texas Tech
    Record: 7-5;3-5

League losses: at Okla. St., Texas A&M, at Mizzou, at Texas, OU

Bottom line: Tech has only four starters back on offense and only five back on defense. If Mike Leach hasn't been recruiting well, it will show. A typically soft nonleague schedule should ensure Tech remains the only Big 12 team without a losing season since the conference was formed.

6. Baylor
    Record: 3-9, 0-8

League losses: All of them

Bottom line: After manhandling bowl-bound Kansas State last year and beating Colorado on the road, the Bears have lost too much manpower to succeed in 2007. Baylor is starting over at quarterback, receiver and in the secondary. Coach Guy Morriss will need more time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OSUAggie
    3. Texas

League losses: at Okla. St., at Texas A&M, *Oklahoma

Bottom line: The passing game if the offensive line questions can be answered and run defense should be among the best in the country, and TCU is the toughest nonconference opponent. But the Longhorns must answer serious questions from last year about their pass defense and inability to run the ball.
    *possible loss, mostly a tossup
    fixed.

haha we lose to colorado? wow we are hated. I like hawkins and he will jump his program up to pretty good status soon but he isn't there yet...

- R.J. Washington

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ash's Avatar
    vCash

I am saying until the season starts and a team flounders it isn't hype... Last yeart Kirk Kickmetothecurbstreit picked Miami and ND to play for the NC. Big time overhype looking back but then again if someone had said last spring that Wake Forest and GT would play in the ACC Championship game they would have been checked into the Houston Nutt house.

What I am saying is it isn't overhype until they fail. And if Syracuse and Baylor end up in the NC game well then all the experts are idiots.
    It's hype if there's little or nothing to base it on. What about the team indicates that they'll be better than everyone except one team next year?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ash's Avatar
    vCash

fixed.

haha we lose to colorado? wow we are hated. I like hawkins and he will jump his program up to pretty good status soon but he isn't there yet...
    That is laughable. My guess is they're banking on the fact the Buff D was decent last year. Of course, it doesn't matter if their offense can't gain a yard.

vCash

Well, all things considered... CU can't be much worse. Their Offensive MVP was their kicker last year. Cody Hawkins could play blind-folded and probably play better than Jackson did.

Still calling OU big in this one. And the road win can help tremendously going into Dallas.

OSU 10-2??? How many times has OSU won ten games? And no, aggy... adding Gundy's season tallies doesn't count. Serious momentum??? On offense, yeah... but to predict 10-2 is to assume they bought Florida's defense. They have won ONE BIG 12 road game under Gumby... against KANSAS. Improved team? Yes, I believe 7 or 8 wins, but 2nd in the South? Tell Boone thanks for the advance.

Methinks it goes like diss:

1. (barely eeks victory in College Station to save the South representation in San Antonio).
    2. OU (turnovers and sloppy defense does us in in a "shocking loss," don't want to see it... but I'm being realistic... a n00b wil turn it over at the worst times, and high-scoring RRS loss)
    3. Tx Tech (just when you thought the pirates were gone)
    4. OSU (3rd place Tie-breaker goes to Tech in Stillwater, losses to TT, UT, NU, OU)
    5. FRANchise (stupid decision in LSS costs Fran his 6th loss and turns the gas up on his hot seat)
    6. Baylor (Morris resigns )
    "One has to wonder about the structural integrity of the Vintage Cotton Bowl the last 14 years. There's been a lot of weight on that Oklahoma side."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by goingoneight
    Well, all things considered... CU can't be much worse. Their Offensive MVP was their kicker last year. Cody Hawkins could play blind-folded and probably play better than Jackson did.

Still calling OU big in this one. And the road win can help tremendously going into Dallas.

OSU 10-2??? How many times has OSU won ten games? And no, aggy... adding Gundy's season tallies doesn't count. Serious momentum??? On offense, yeah... but to predict 10-2 is to assume they bought Florida's defense. They have won ONE BIG 12 road game under Gumby... against KANSAS. Improved team? Yes, I believe 7 or 8 wins, but 2nd in the South? Tell Boone thanks for the advance.

Methinks it goes like diss:

1. (barely eeks victory in College Station to save the South representation in San Antonio).
    2. OU (turnovers and sloppy defense does us in in a "shocking loss," don't want to see it... but I'm being realistic... a n00b wil turn it over at the worst times, and high-scoring RRS loss)
    3. Tx Tech (just when you thought the pirates were gone)
    4. OSU (3rd place Tie-breaker goes to Tech in Stillwater, losses to TT, UT, NU, OU)
    5. FRANchise (stupid decision in LSS costs Fran his 6th loss and turns the gas up on his hot seat)
    6. Baylor (Morris resigns )
    OSU has won 10 games 3 times in the last 25 years.

You completely contradict yourself by saying that OSU will beat A&M in College Station but lose to Tech in Stillwater not more than two seconds after you make the point that OSU has won 1 conference road game in Gundy's extensive tenure.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Hey be fair about things! OSU has definately won 10 games before. If you combine the last 2 years they've won 10. If you combine the last 4 years they've even won 10 games against D1 teams!

vCash

someone has to be on crack to pick OSU to be 2nd in the South

i don't care how young Texass is, i have a hard time believing the Pukes can have a better record than the Pirates, Wh0rns and the Aggies

plus winning AT Georgia? yeah, right

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Statalyzer's Avatar
    vCash

No way in hell does OU lose to Colorado. The Buffs might be able to keep the margin of loss down to around 10 points or so. I'd expect more like 28-7.

As far as the original analysis of Texas, it's fair enough, but hardly "unbiased as possibly can be."

-needed a miracle to beat texas tech
    It wasn't a miracle. We outplayed Tech and won a close game.

got AMAZINGLY lucky to win against nebraska thanks to husker stupidity
    Forcing a fumble is not luck, and it was hardly stupid of NU to try and make the first down.

A close game does not = a lucky win. Would you be using that same standard on OU? Was the Okie State win a lucky win b/c Zac Robinson missed the pitch for an easy walk-in touchdown and then fumbled inside the 1 yard line?

they got beat by ohio state...who could blame them?
    -got beat by a horrible KSU team that scored 45 points on them
    -got owned on their own turf against the aggies
    -nearly blew it in their bowl game against a mediocre iowa team.
    Now, that is all exactly correct. Can't blame us for the OSU game in hindsight, but no excuses on the other games. Those were just both plain embarassing. Sure, Colt being injured hurt us, but the offense still scored 42 on KSU without him, and Colt's arm isn't going to help our defense stop A&M from going on 8-minute long scoring drives in the fourth quarter or make our OL learn to run-block any better.

Iowa felt like a good win because it was our 3rd straight bowl win, it was an exciting game, and we came from behind to do it, but objectively looking back, it was exciting b/c the teams were evenly matched. That doesn't mean evenly good. We were evenly average teams, we played down to the level of a team that didn't even deserve to go to a bowl.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OSUAggie
    OSU has won 10 games 3 times in the last 25 years.

You completely contradict yourself by saying that OSU will beat A&M in College Station but lose to Tech in Stillwater not more than two seconds after you make the point that OSU has won 1 conference road game in Gundy's extensive tenure.
    To predict 10 wins is to predict the following.

at Georgia = ???
    Popcorn State = W
    at Other Trojans = W
    Bomar Tech = W (they could have Barrry Sanders and will still lose, sorry Rhett)

... you with me? that's three guaranteed and one iffy...

TX Tech = ??? (No one ever knows how they'll do in shootouts with Leach... you can assume, but we all know what happens when we assume things)
    aTm = W (I honestly don't see you all OR Texass losing here. This is the season that does Fran in, IMHO. If Calahan can do it, y'all can)
    at Nebraska = ??? (I'll give you the edge... but I won't put money on it. Nebraska's tough when they want revenge at home)
    K-State = W (fart)
    = L (just my opinion, I don't see it happening... especially looking at how McCoy handled the game at Tech last year)
    Kansas = W (Manginowned!!!)
    at Baylor = W (Floyd Casey is no one's nightmare... 2005 was a fluke for you all there)
    at Oklahoma = L (Stoops remembers a lot of things... especially what happens when you underestimate a team with nothign to lose playing their "rival." To add, you all shot yourselves in the foot by moving this to the final game of the year when you consider Stoops's teams improvements year in and out. It won't be 42-14, but we'll win solidly.)

I see 8 gimmes. If you want to coutn an under-matched bowl game contest, then yeah... 10-3 is possible if you eek one of those iffy matchups.

It's not contradicting yourself to assume Franchione is a choke-job. And it's not out of reason to say that Tech wins a lot of those last-minute games. That's been Mike Leach's specialty throughout his entire TT career.

I will predict OSU is ranked by season's end... there's your improvement.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Statalyzer
    No way in hell does OU lose to Colorado. The Buffs might be able to keep the margin of loss down to around 10 points or so. I'd expect more like 28-7.
    Agreed. We ran a totally boring offense and OUr defense tried to let them score several times last year but they just couldn't manage a completion.

As far as the original analysis of Texas, it's fair enough, but hardly "unbiased as possibly can be."
    I think a lot of people are talking out their asses about you all. I still see 11 likely wins for you all no matter how much "rebuilding" you have to do.

It wasn't a miracle. We outplayed Tech and won a close game.
    You all shut them out in the 2nd half. No one can call that a miracle. In fact, they need to watch Colt McCoy's performance against them if they want to even think of calling him overrated or not good in tough situations.

Forcing a fumble is not luck, and it was hardly stupid of NU to try and make the first down.
    It wasn't exactly a jarring hit, the TE just freaking dropped the ball. It was like he thought "Alright, I got it!" and just put it on the grass. That, WAS a miracle for Texass. Whether you want to admit it or not, not just anyone gets lucky enough to pick up a fumble in FG territory in the fianl moments of the 4th quarter to take the lead.

A close game does not = a lucky win. Would you be using that same standard on OU? Was the Okie State win a lucky win b/c Zac Robinson missed the pitch for an easy walk-in touchdown and then fumbled inside the 1 yard line?
    Agreed, for the most part.

The Okie State game was a great game, but we owned their defense well enough that day that if we absolutely needed points, we'd have gotten them. It was like the Fiesta Bowl, except Stoops did the out-coaching the opponent here. These things happen. Keep in mind that about 16 plays in that game were just securing the ball and running out the clock. The final OU possession was basically utitlized to take away OSU's timeouts, which IMHO was brilliant on Stoops's part.