Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Jon Stewart article

I noticed the Jon Stewart vs. Gary England thread and came across this and thought a few might be interested

What a joke
    Traditional TV news is laughable compared to Jon Stewart's journalism, says Rick Rojas
    By: Rick Rojas
    Posted: 6/19/07
    The Daily Show and broadcast news include all the same parts: a congenial anchor and a staff of correspondents on a flashy set, interviewing big name guests. The difference is one is a parody, while the other is the real deal - but deciphering which is which seems to become harder every day.

Jon Stewart, the host of The Daily Show, is the often pinned in the media as the Walter Cronkite for this generation of younger Americans - who we watch, who we get our news from, who we trust. Though such a contention is somewhat hyperbolic, it is a testament to how the media are failing us.

Stewart reported on his program how Tony Snow made a boldfaced lie in a press conference in saying the firings of several U.S. attorneys had nothing to do with politics. In a split screen, one box had Snow in a March 15 press conference saying, "It's pretty clear that these things are based on performance and not on some sort of attempt to do political retribution."

They played the tape from last Wednesday's briefing. A reporter asked if the firings were based on performance, not politics, as he had said. His response: "No…we have never said that."

What's more troubling than blatant mistruths coming from the White House is learning of them from a comedy show - because, besides Stewart, only a Washington Post columnist and a few others outside the mainstream media reported this.

In the same episode, Stewart interviewed actress, humanitarian, and the female half of the "Brangelina" tabloid craze, Angelina Jolie. Comparing Stewart's interview with Ann Curry's on The Today Show was like night and day. The comedian's, sadly, was the brighter of the two.

In between the punch lines and sophomoric cracks, Stewart asked Jolie about the rumor of her request that journalists sign a contract stating they wouldn't ask any questions about her personal relationship with the other "Brangelina" half, Brad Pitt, and her supposed request that the Fox News Channel not be allowed at the premiere of her new movie.

Meanwhile, Curry looked like a schoolgirl wanting to become Jolie's best friend. She not only avoided any tough questions, her queries were so indulging of the superstar I thought her next question would be, "How are you so awesome?"

Even worse, valuable time on the public airwaves was dedicated to Curry's lobbing of softball questions instead of issues of greater importance.

Of course, this is an old and common argument against television news. CNN spent hours following O.J. Simpson in the white Ford Bronco. Laci Peterson, whose murder mystery was a live-action Lifetime movie. Then, Anna Nicole Smith - and Larry King and Nancy Grace's investigations into who could be the father of her baby.

And the network executives wonder why they can't keep younger viewers. Last summer, CBS thought after the forced retirement of 76-year-old anchorman Dan Rather, it would be a time to spiffy up the newscast for the much-desired younger audience. Their solution: Katie Couric. In their minds, they revolutionized the CBS Evening News by bringing in more features such as "exclusive" photographs of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' baby, and an anchorwoman who has as less journalism gravitas than Stewart.

Couric is, no surprise, a colossal failure now with fewer viewers than Rather at his lowest point. Newscasts are going gaga over Paris Hilton, wasting airtime over an irrelevant airhead, analyzing a molehill as though it's a mountain. And, besides a few islands of sanity, such as Keith Olbermann, the TV viewer is left to watch Jon Stewart for hard-hitting questions and the competent analysis of current events - even if it does come from a comedian. All the while, TV news is giving Stewart a run for his money by being a parody of themselves.

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/s...-2916123.shtml

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Jon Stewart article

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are the best hour of "political commentary" on TV today.

I still watch CNN for breaking news. I also check out Fox News to see how the far right is spinning things and Keith Olbermann when I want to see the far left. I never sniff CBS, NBC, or ABC Nightly News. Those formats are dead.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas
    I never sniff CBS, NBC, or ABC Nightly News. Those formats are dead.
    what are you high? the MSM controlls your mind and even though don't watch/read it.....that's what's so insidious.

vote Lenin.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

I'm never home early enough to watch the national 5:30 p.m. news anyway. Most young people get their news through RSS so they don't have to be subjected to all the crap they don't care about.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are the best hour of "political commentary" on TV today.

I still watch CNN for breaking news. I also check out Fox News to see how the far right is spinning things and Keith Olbermann when I want to see the far left. I never sniff CBS, NBC, or ABC Nightly News. Those formats are dead.
    Oh YES! Stewart and Colbert are RIGHT ON! Both are particularly sweet on Market Economics, and are the REAL "Fair and Balanced" newscast.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Hatfield's Avatar
    vCash

clip of him on crossfire.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE
    In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

vCash

Even Dennis Miller has appeared on The Daily Show as of late....

He even realizes that things have changed so drastically that Jon now is using Dennis as a Schtick, calling him for "One Liners" to use when talking about current events...

Miller has always been a classic for talking over peoples heads with his wit...

Stewart and Miller could quite possibly take over any Major Networks format and improve on them without even an appearance from either of them, is my guess...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield
    that is awesome.
    I taste terrific.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

I hope you're kidding.

I've seen Stewart before he was popular. He's gotten better but anybody can poke fun and show cute clips. He has no real answers.

It's a jackoff tv show.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JohnnyMack's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    it's a jackoff tv show.
    No. Those cost $12.99 and can be found in hotel rooms.

Or so I hear.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU4LIFE's Avatar
    vCash

well, it's not supposed to be a news show.....it's comedy.

But in that crossfire clip, he wears those guys out.
    I taste terrific.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

I guess you missed the "political commentary" part. The quotation marks means I am using the term very loosely.

Fact is I would watch these before the drones on Fox, MSNBC, or CNN and still feel like I get more out of two comedy shows. Like the article says......these shows know what they are. Other shows are trying to be serious and come of looking no better than two programs on comedy central.

vCash

that much?

my point is yeah he's funny, yeah he makes everyone in the political spectrum look stupid with his clips and comments but that's it.

it ain't news.

vCash

I guess you missed the "political commentary" part. The quotation marks means I am using the term very loosely.
    I understood that part.

Fact is I would watch these before the drones on Fox, MSNBC, or CNN and still feel like I get more out of two comedy shows. Like the article says......these shows know what they are. Other shows are trying to be serious and come of looking no better than two programs on comedy central.
    That's where you get fuzzy.

vCash

if Dennis Miller is talking "over yer head".....it's kinda weak sauce.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OU4LIFE
    well, it's not supposed to be a news show.....it's comedy.
    right, I realize that. It seems though that some of these younger knobs don't get that part.

I remember seeing Stewart on the old Maher show on HBO, Politically Incorrect. He was really funny, witty and impressive. But, he would have gotten stroked if he had to actually try to give any real solutions to things.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    right, I realize that. It seems though that some of these younger knobs don't get that part.

I remember seeing Stewart on the old Maher show on HBO, Politically Incorrect. He was really funny, witty and impressive. But, he would have gotten stroked if he had to actually try to give any real solutions to things.

the old "solutions" argument is weak sauce. one of the lamest diversionary trick bags in the GOP playbook.

i'm not a Dem but i hate this rhetorical dodge.

what are the GOP solutions, lies about no taxes, small government? freedom while clamping down on civil rights "in the name of the people".

mother ****er, please.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Hatfield's Avatar
    vCash

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    the old "solutions" argument is weak sauce. one of the lamest diversionary trick bags in the GOP playbook.

i'm not a Dem but i hate this rhetorical dodge.

what are the GOP solutions, lies about no taxes, small government? freedom while clamping down on civil rights "in the name of the people".

mother ****er, please.
    sorry I missed the GOP playbook memo. and I'm not a straight party shooter.

I can go on tv and poke fun at everyone but that doesn't mean I know jack ****. Same as John effin Stewart.
    and, I agree on the GOP crap concerning taxes. that's why the last group of 'em on the hill got sent home.

but, don't get too high up on that soapbox you power to the peoples and free speech types because you, just like everyone else, only wants to hear your side o the bitching.

vCash

I think the thing that seems to trouble most of the critics of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report is the fact that they have become popular by making fools out of people who were supposed to be well informed and doing a service to their audience via their opinions and research.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report mostly find these shows weak sauce and capitilize by showing just how full of beans most of them have become.

The other shows seem to be ****ed off because The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are getting better ratings and their shows are faced with the reality that people are worn out by their Nightly Dribble which ultimately has solved nothing and created even more confusion in most viewers minds.

People whether Red or Blue or in-between are just sick of these shows and the Politicians / Political Parties that have made them.