Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Advice

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerObsession's Avatar
    vCash

Computer Advice

My computer that I now own is a Sony Vaio Pentium 4, 1.6ghz with 564mb of ram. I'm wondering if I should upgrade the ram to 1 gig or just get a new machine. My wife does not want to spend more than $500 on a new cpu. Would the upgrade be better or just get a new computer? The problem we are having with our current computer is that it needs to be reformatted every 6 months to run right. I get really tired of having to reinstall everything and then getting 2 hours worth of windows xp updates, antivirus, and all that jazz updated. Any advice? I've already been advised not to get Vista because it's such a resource hog.

vCash

Re: Computer Advice

i'd bet if you added 1GB of RAM it would run tons better

if you are reinstalling that often, i'd bet you are having either fragmentation problems or spyware

have you thought about Linux?

party pooper
    vCash

564MB of ram? thats a bit of a wierd number.

But yeah, you can go to a gig of ram for about 30 bucks, and will help a bit with speed. Unfortunately with most Windows distributions, they tend to slow down over time as the registry becomes cluttered up. A registry cleaninig program might do you more good as well.

If my laptop wasn't dead right now, I'd let you know what I am running, which has worked pretty well.

And yeah, I wouldn't touch vista with a 10 ft pole right now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

It kind of depends on what you do with it. I have a couple of P4 1.7Ghz boxes at work that are absolute boat anchors. It bogs down badly just playing youtube videos or flash videos. I can't recall at the moment but it has at least 1GB of RAM. If all you did was Word and email, bumping up to 1GB would likely help. Otherwise, you may be better off upgrading (note that it will not be easy to get a new machine without Vista, but that's another issue).

Your other issue is having to reformat every 6 months. I'd be curious to hear more about why you're having to do that and what it's gaining you.

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom

have you thought about Linux?

Or a Mac? The only reason I'm not worrying about my now dead laptop is that my new employer is buying me a Macbook

party pooper
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen
    It kind of depends on what you do with it. I have a couple of P4 1.7Ghz boxes at work that are absolute boat anchors. It bogs down badly just playing youtube videos or flash videos. I can't recall at the moment but it has at least 1GB of RAM. If all you did was Word and email, bumping up to 1GB would likely help. Otherwise, you may be better off upgrading (note that it will not be easy to get a new machine without Vista, but that's another issue).

Your other issue is having to reformat every 6 months. I'd be curious to hear more about why you're having to do that and what it's gaining you.
    Dell still sells XP machines.

vCash

mmm... MacBook

vCash

Interesting. A lot of OEM's have gone Vista-only (HP/Compaq for example)

vCash

yeah, i remember seeing stuff about Dell allowing XP because so many people were griping about Vista

i don't really care either way, i install my own OS from scratch when i get a new machine anyway

party pooper
    vCash

yeah, i remember seeing stuff about Dell allowing XP because so many people were griping about Vista

i don't really care either way, i install my own OS from scratch when i get a new machine anyway
    Have you ever tried to get "the windows refund"? I'm told it's possible, but a bit of a haggle.

vCash

heh, no

that would be nice

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerObsession's Avatar
    vCash

I guess I should rephrase...I don't have to reformat, but my computer runs much better when I do. I'm really careful about spyware and viruses. I keep my drives defragmented regularly. I just want to be able to start my computer and not have to wait 2 minutes for it to start up. No matter what web browser I use, I frequently have close the browser because it freezes up. I would probably go with Macintosh if they were not so expensive and if my wife's transcription software would run ok with it. I went to a local computer shop today and looked into getting 1gb of ram and he says my system's ram is hard to come by and that it would probably be more expensive than most. I looked on ebay, but I'm not sure why some ram is so cheap and the same kind (different brand) is so much more expensive. Is there a brand I should stay away from if I go with RAM?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerObsession
    Is there a brand I should stay away from if I go with RAM?
    I don't know about any brands to avoid, but Crucial is definitely on my recommend list.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

I've had good luck with Kingston ValueRam. YMMV.

vCash

i guess with that speed of Pentium, it probably uses RDRAM, i would have thought that stuff would have gotten cheaper, but probably not

another problem with Windows is that all the junk that you install wants to have some crap that starts up with the computer and you kinda have to turn all that crap off

i'd run msconfig.exe and see what is in the startup tab there, almost any of that stuff can be disabled

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

i
    another problem with Windows is that all the junk that you install wants to have some crap that starts up with the computer and you kinda have to turn all that crap off

i'd run msconfig.exe and see what is in the startup tab there, almost any of that stuff can be disabled

Not such an easy thing to do with Vista Basic.
    Im about to chunk a new machine that came with Vista because of this little feature.
    It appears with vista basic, you can't disable any of the startup programs you really didn't want.

Im either buying a new machine with XP, or a new drive and XP operating system for the current machine.

I *^*(**%^% Vista.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Buy a new computer. The 90's wants their's back.

vCash

you can ship it to me

do you not have an XP CD laying around somewhere?

i'd think you could just buy XP somewhere and boot off the install CD, you shouldn't need to buy a new machine or hard drive

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by crawfish
    Buy a new computer. The 90's wants their's back.
    that should be from the 2000's

barely

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

you can ship it to me

do you not have an XP CD laying around somewhere?

i'd think you could just buy XP somewhere and boot off the install CD, you shouldn't need to buy a new machine or hard drive

heck no, all my new machines came with xp installed, and no CD. Just a recovery disc.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...