Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Hey Air Force types

So yesterday, I was out golfing poorly, and about every ten min. a fighter jet would fly overhead at a fairly low altitude. It seemed that they were flying in a sort of a circular pattern. Either way, I thought this was odd because we only have a refueling wing of the Air National Guard in Lincoln, and the pattern seemed to indicate they were flying there instead of Offut. What's the deal with this?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Hey Air Force types

Hell if I know...at Randolph, we have a HUGE flying training wing...and they do that crap ALL THE TIME!!! My dorm room is right next to the T-38 engine run up area...and it irritates the **** outta me that they do engine tests at 10 PM nearly every freaking night!

T-38 engine= the loudest goddamn engine EVAR!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 HskrGrl's Avatar
    vCash

Heh, I was just about to ask if you were gofling in Bellevue (or Papillion for that matter). I think they are still doing some work on one of the runways at Offutt and redirecting some of the traffic to the Air National Guard.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    So yesterday, I was out golfing poorly, and about every ten min. a fighter jet would fly overhead at a fairly low altitude. It seemed that they were flying in a sort of a circular pattern. Either way, I thought this was odd because we only have a refueling wing of the Air National Guard in Lincoln, and the pattern seemed to indicate they were flying there instead of Offut. What's the deal with this?
    They're called "overhead patterns." It is a visual approach designed for tactical aircraft that allows a relatively large number of jets to be safely recovered while keeping them very close to the airdrome. It's flown based on visual references on the ground. I presume there is a runway close to where you were playing pasture pool?
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

It was probably the MSM keeping tabs on you.
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

golf is a noun, not a verb. YWIA, hillbilly.

the Sooners did not football a touchdown, by analogy.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    They're called "overhead patterns." It is a visual approach designed for tactical aircraft that allows a relatively large number of jets to be safely recovered while keeping them very close to the airdrome. It's flown based on visual references on the ground. I presume there is a runway close to where you were playing pasture pool?
    Yes, I was a couple miles south of the Lincoln Airport/Air Guard base. If they are working on Offut, and redirecting through Lincoln that would likely be what they are doing. Usually, there aren't smaller planes flying around Lincoln unless it's air show time, or they brought in something cooler than the refueling planes to do the football game flyover.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

we get the air force academy guys showing off sometimes up here in the northern part of the Front Range. it's pretty cool.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

vCash

Drown Their Kittens Re: Hey Air Force types

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerStormchaser
    yadda yadda yaddda...

I guess you haven't enjoyed the ear-splitting loudness of A-10s then.

Hey Air Force types...do you ever wish you'd joined branch of the MILITARY instead?

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill
    You go Boy trying to follow your logic here Is like chasin a chicken .

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    I guess you haven't enjoyed the ear-splitting loudness of A-10s then.

Hey Air Force types...do you ever wish you'd joined branch of the MILITARY instead?

yeah, yeah. at least we don't enlist convicted felons and have a hard rule requiring a high school diploma to enlist. That's cuz you gotta be smarter than the average rock to be in Big Blue. The dirt-based services OTOH...
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    One of my cousins who was in the Army once related how, when he was sleeping in a freezing mudhole in Kosovo, he wished he'd followed my grandfather's advice and joined the Air Force.

Ever feel that way?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

T-38 Tweety Bird, the Air Force's 1 million dollar noisemaker.
    posse member

vCash

Actually, the T-37 is the Tweet...and Randolph just got rid of em last month. The T-38 is the Talon...and I'd take the Tweet over it any freaking day of the week!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Actually, the T-37 is the Tweet...and Randolph just got rid of em last month. The T-38 is the Talon...and I'd take the Tweet over it any freaking day of the week!
    I stand corrected. I've been out a while.
    posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    yeah, yeah. at least we don't enlist convicted felons and have a hard rule requiring a high school diploma to enlist. That's cuz you gotta be smarter than the average rock to be in Big Blue. The dirt-based services OTOH...
    I think all but the Army require this...I could be mistaken
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Newbomb Turk's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    golf is a noun, not a verb. YWIA, hillbilly.
    I couldn't golf my ball worth a crap today. I had a case of the "lefts".

frustrating.

Hell if I know...at Randolph, we have a HUGE flying training wing...and they do that crap ALL THE TIME!!! My dorm room is right next to the T-38 engine run up area...and it irritates the **** outta me that they do engine tests at 10 PM nearly every freaking night!

Louder than an F-4 ???

am i the only one that finds it hysterical that an air force officer would complain about the noise of an air force jet?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NYSooner1355
    I think all but the Army require this...I could be mistaken
    Army says Ya have to at least have a GED. see they wanta make sure your serious Plus on the asfab ? test you have to score higher than a dude or dudet with a diploma
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock
    Louder than an F-4 ???

Yah...an F-16 is almost as loud as a T-38...but the Talon beats it by about 15 dB's. F-4 is actually quieter than an F-16...go figure.