Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blake Griffin to wear 23?

Check out the link to Parrish's column on CBS sportsline. He will have big shoes to fill picking that number. About 3/4 the way down in the stories in the link

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/we...rrish_thoughts

What do you guys think? Gutsy or Crazy or is there a difference?

vCash

Re: Blake Griffin to wear 23?

Odd that they are allowing him to wear a retired number, but hopefully he can make a huge impact.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sooner518's Avatar
    vCash

apparently Wayman OK'd it, so im fine with it. Sounds like hes confident in himself and I sure hope he can back it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bri
    NOW, WITNESS THE ORANGE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL HALF-EMPTY STADIUM!!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

Wow. Talk about embracing expectations!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

i've never seen blake play. is he really going to make a big difference for us? someone help me out here.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddogbbq
    i've never seen blake play. is he really going to make a big difference for us? someone help me out here.
    Yes, he is going to make a huge impact! Granted, he played 2A basketball, but his size and athletic ability are amazing. Also, he dominated in AAU games. Blake plays higher above the rim than i have ever seen in any level. minus MJ, and a handful of others i suppose
    An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

So...

I'm TOTALLY down with this, as long as Wayman signed off on it. I think it's great...

As far as next year, just having another guy on the court, even if he doesn't live up to his athletic billing, he really seems to "get" the game of basketball, so having another person on the court who "gets" the game, and can also play it, will help tremendously.

the_ouskull
    Skull=the most underrated poster in SoonerFans.com history. -- gdc, 09/05

skull makes people want to go sit in the corner and hang their heads in shame when he responds to their posts. -- birddog, 01/09

skull makes you feel like you are the dumbest motherf*cker on the planet... -- soonerinabilene, 08/09

My staff is getting tired of me making them read your posts. -- birddog, 10/09

As is pretty much always the case, I agree with Skull. -- A Sooner in Texas, 11/09

vCash

Wearing Ryne Sandberg's number is a great honor...and I am a Cardinals fan!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

I haven't seen him play and he may be the biggest bust in OU history, but I love the balls it takes to take this on.

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas
    I haven't seen him play and he may be the biggest bust in OU history, but I love the balls it takes to take this on.
    vegas loves the balls.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

NTTAWWT

I agree. Sounds like Blake understands the pressure and is willing to embrace it. Looks like Wayman signed off on it so I have no problem. But the kid better deliver or it's going to be a long fall down.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

it's dumb to compare the kid to Wayman. "long fall down"....it's a number. you can't put that kind of expectation on a kid.

Rocky Calmus wore # 20, did we drag the kid down because he wasn't Billy Sims?
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer.....
    Odd that they are allowing him to wear a retired number, but hopefully he can make a huge impact.
    OU doesn't retire numbers, they retire jerseys. Blake's just the first one in a long time (& btw, Wayman was not the last to wear #23) to ask for that number. Capel's call to Wayman was basically out of courtesy (& the classy thing to do, IMO), not necessity.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

I'd like to see Wayman play bass with the band at some home games.

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson
    it's dumb to compare the kid to Wayman. "long fall down"....it's a number. you can't put that kind of expectation on a kid.

Rocky Calmus wore # 20, did we drag the kid down because he wasn't Billy Sims?
    You obviously didn't read the article because when Blake asked Capel to wear the number, Capel brought up Wayman and Blake already knew it. He compared himself to Wayman in that they both are from Oklahoma and Wayman obviously made a huge impact and so does Blake.

As far as Rocky is concerned, Rocky was a LB and Sims is a RB. You can't compare those two. You can compare Wayman and Blake. Blake is 6'8 and Wayman was a 6'9 F/C. Concerning expectations, Blake knew what he was doing in asking for the number, thereby asking for the expectations. Nobody was comparing him to Wayman until he requested the number. It's just like a guard asking to wear #23 in obvious comparison to Michael Jordan. It's the same thing here (and ironically the same number).

Brewmaster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by william_brasky
    I'd like to see Wayman play bass with the band at some home games.
    I guarantee, Wayman's too funky for that band to keep up.
    ... that's not food.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHavePride
    I guarantee, Wayman's too funky for that band to keep up.
    That's what I'm sayin'.

Wayman could funk that band up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonervegas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPzYqv3H3mE
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

vCash

isn't blake 6 ft 9 or 6 ft 10? don't know y everyone always has him down as 6 ft 8 i guarantee u he's taller then that his bro's 6 ft 7 and blake's more then 1 inch taller then him