SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Building a website

I am trying to put together a couple of websites and really would rather not bother with the whole code thing if I can avoid it. I once used a program similar to word to put a site together, but I don't remember what it was. It allowed me to import pics, links, whatever I wanted in a pretty straight forward way. Any suggestions as to some easy to use programs that I could use? Preferably free?
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Petro-Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Building a website

I had a fortran class once if that helps ya any.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro
    I am trying to put together a couple of websites and really would rather not bother with the whole code thing if I can avoid it. I once used a program similar to word to put a site together, but I don't remember what it was. It allowed me to import pics, links, whatever I wanted in a pretty straight forward way. Any suggestions as to some easy to use programs that I could use? Preferably free?

This cannot be said strongly enough: DO NOT USE MICROSOFT PRODUCTS TO MAKE WEB PAGES. You can use Word to do it, but you shouldn't. Front Page is Microsofts's dedicated web development tool, but it sucks. Hard. It sucks as hard than anything else that really sucks hard--if not harder. Do not use Front Page. Or Word. Or anything else Microsoft. For real.

Dreamweaver is the best web development software that I've ever used, but it's certainly not free...unless you're OU faculty, staff, student. Dreamweaver lets you work in text mode (typing all the markup by hand) or design mode (like using PowerPoint or Word).

You don't need special software at all. You can do everything you need to do with a text editor. I recommend doing everything by hand, even if--especially if--you're a beginner. For a simple web site, it shouldn't be too difficult. This is a great tutorial/reference web site: http://www.htmldog.com He's hung up on XHMTL, but I really like his core philosophy: X/HTML for layout, CSS for design. That is the way to go. Using tables for layout (which is many WYSIWYG editors do) is teh lose.

Whatever you do, don't use Front Page or Word. Or PowerPoint. Or anything else from Microsoft.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

I use Macromedia (Adobe) Dreamweaver. It's not free, but that's what I've got. I like it alot. This is my creation: unicoreok.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handey
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

vCash

Anything from Microsoft should work.

vCash

I actually have dreamweaver but man do I have a lot to learn!

Sooner All-World
    vCash

Frontpage Rocks!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Hire a high school kid.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

vCash

Like me!!!!!!!!!

No, but seriously I'd do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Handey
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 landrun's Avatar
    vCash

I actually have dreamweaver but man do I have a lot to learn!
    Then you have all you need. Well ... that and photoshop.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by landrun
    and photoshop.
    and here is where we have a problem.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

While I agree about not using FrontPage to CREATE web pages, I disagree about it being totally unusable. If you are someone who can edit HTML efficiently, and know what the code is supposed to look like, FP can be a helpful WYSIWYG editor for toggling back and forth between an HTML view and a browser view.

It's especially useful for working in framesets and viewing tables. Obviously, Dreamweaver and other products are preferable. However, if you know what you're doing, know when and where FP likes to try to change your code and avoid those situations, and don't use it to create your initial code, it can be a nice editing solution, especially if you don't have other, more expensive software available.
    Well, crap.

Sooner Benchwarmer mxATVracer10's Avatar
    vCash

I agree with BRJ on this one... I'm currently working on a website for a friend's DJ/karaoke bid'ness and FP is what they purchased before I came into the picture. They already had a site up that they had paid someone else to build, but they didn't like it and couldn't get them to cooperate so they told them to f off. So in I step with my web design associates degree from '03 and a horrible memory. Luckily I kept two of the books from back then instead of getting around $50 bux back on those $175 books() and they have helped me get through it. You do have to be careful with FP but once you figure out all of the extra coding crap that it throws in, you'll be good to go.
    Proud Sponsor of the "Big D - F'n Hillbillies" 2007 Ruf/Nek Shotgun

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

But seriously, anyone attempting to build a website should at least have a basic knowledge of HTML. Don't be frightened off thinking it's something difficult. BASIC page coding is not. You can teach yourself with a book or online tutorial in a day or so. You should understand the basic building blocks so that you can look at your code and understand where something went awry. Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors can add BS code and gunge things up every bit as much as FP can, if you do the wrong thing.

Even if you're building a really simple website, spend a little bit of time learning the basics of how HTML works. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.
    Well, crap.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedJed
    While I agree about not using FrontPage to CREATE web pages, I disagree about it being totally unusable. If you are someone who can edit HTML efficiently, and know what the code is supposed to look like, FP can be a helpful WYSIWYG editor for toggling back and forth between an HTML view and a browser view.
    Excellent point.

It's especially useful for working in framesets and viewing tables.
    Framesets are now widely considered A Bad Thing. Even if done with due diligence (which isn't very often), they create some fundamental usability problems. Bookmarking, for example.
    I'm not happy until you're not happy.

vCash

Seems like on the old low/no cost software thread someone suggested first page.
    If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people - their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties - someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad; if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." - John F. Kennedy

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mdklatt
    ...Framesets are now widely considered A Bad Thing. Even if done with due diligence (which isn't very often), they create some fundamental usability problems. Bookmarking, for example.
    I agree. I hate them, as a user and as a developer. Sometimes you're stuck editing a site that utilizes them, though.
    Well, crap.