Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

What debt should you pay extra on to pay off early?

Let's say a guy has three notes, two for vehicles and one for a house.
    He has 32 months left on one @9.75% , 53 months on one @6.5%, and the last has 360 months @ 6.625%.

Should he put all of his money for extra payments towards one note or split them up equally between all three?
    one day

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Re: What debt should you pay extra on to pay off early?

The 9.75% one.

Then the 53 month one.

Then the mortgage. While it's a higher rate than the other car loan, at least you get to write off the interest on that one.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member OU-HSV's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    The 9.75% one.

Then the 53 month one.

Then the mortgage. While it's a higher rate than the other car loan, at least you get to write off the interest on that one.
    exactly

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDaugIn2000's Avatar
    vCash

according to my church debt seminar, pay off the one you owe the LEAST on first, no matter what the interest rate is, while paying the minimum on the others. Then once that one is paid off, pay what you are paying for it PLUS the minimum of the next until it is paid, and work your way up.

vCash

Thanks. I was thinking the same but then thought that maybe it should be the house first because although it's cheaper than the 9.75 it costs more in the long run and the 9.75 payment is the smallest.

Thanks guys.

also, I was thinking that the sooner I got to the 20% paid mark on my mortgage I would stop paying PMI sooner for an added savings.
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member dolemitesooner's Avatar
    vCash

**** debt and **** church debt semiars...wtf

i get the whole argument of paying off the smallest.....but i'd pay off the one charging the highest interest

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    i get the whole argument of paying off the smallest.....but i'd pay off the one charging the highest interest
    who asked you?

one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDaugIn2000's Avatar
    vCash

the guy that held the seminar is Bob Marette, he has several books out there, but I'm sure you can find his theory online. What he says makes perfect sense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Mjcpr's Avatar
    vCash

First thing I'd do is stop funding scholarships.

Then pay off the 9 percenter.

vCash

More important:
    Why do you have 2 vehicles and who hates you so much that you got a 9.75% vehicle loan? Did you pee on the bank's rug? (That rug really tied the room together.)

vCash

the scholly didn't cost me a dime. Apparently all kids in Chickasha don't need any extra money for school as nobody filled out the app. Or the POS counsellors didn't tell them about it.
    one day

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDaugIn2000
    the guy that held the seminar is Bob Marette, he has several books out there, but I'm sure you can find his theory online. What he says makes perfect sense.
    It does make sense in that it's the easiest plan to follow-so from the standpoint of what will end up getting the average person out of debt as opposed to what would theoretically be the better way it does make sense.

In this particular case, it appears that both Marette and I agree on which loans to pay off the fastest. I always go in with the assumption that if someone asks me for advice they're going to follow it. Probably a bad assumption.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

oops, it's not 9.75. That was for a little handshake type loan I had a few months ago.

The trailer has 44 months left and is 6.25, not 32 and 9.75.

To recap with correct figures:
    44 mos @ 6.25
    53 mos @ 6.5
    360 mos @ 6.625

So the advice would be pay off the 6.5 then the 6.25 then the 6.625?
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

The 9.75% one.

Then the 53 month one.

I have been wondering about this.

When I was in banking, it was good to pay off the mortgage. But then mortgage rates were over 10% .At this point in time, I could pay off my house which is at 5.75% or keep on invested where I have been avging 12-13% annual return.

So would it be advisable to pay the mortgage anyway. I really would not save very much per month.
    OBAMA= One Big A** Mistake America!

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    oops, it's not 9.75. That was for a little handshake type loan I had a few months ago.

The trailer has 44 months left and is 6.25, not 32 and 9.75.

To recap with correct figures:
    44 mos @ 6.25
    53 mos @ 6.5
    360 mos @ 6.625

So the advice would be pay off the 6.5 then the 6.25 then the 6.625?
    Yep. Depending on your marginal tax rate, you're paying an effective rate of around 4.8% on the mortgage-plus, it's debt that is leveraging an investment.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 85Sooner
    I have been wondering about this.

When I was in banking, it was good to pay off the mortgage. But then mortgage rates were over 10% .At this point in time, I could pay off my house which is at 5.75% or keep on invested where I have been avging 12-13% annual return.

So would it be advisable to pay the mortgage anyway. I really would not save very much per month.
    How close are you to retirement?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Just to complicate matters, which ones are assets that can be sold, and are you intending to sell any of them any time soon?

(Reason I ask is that depending on when you intend to sell the assets, and how quickly you can pay them off, it may make sense to take into account the rate of depreciation.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 85Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

How close are you to retirement?

I am 43.
    OBAMA= One Big A** Mistake America!

vCash

Well, on the 44 mos 6.25, my trailer, I have it on a three year depreciation schedule and I deduct 100% of my payments being as it is for work. On my truck, the 53 monther, I only deduct mileage used for work.
    one day