Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

How Fortunate Was OU And Sooner Fans

when the crazy guy blew himself up outside of the stadium a couple years ago?

I will always be convinced that that guy meant to hurt other people. It seems that security guards turned him away twice at the gates and I think he was waiting for the game to end to detonate his bomb as people leaving the game filed by.

It is sad that the psycho at VT couldn't be stopped earlier but it does, on relfection, make me feel very fortunate that the stadium security personnel kept the bomber out of the stadium.

College campuses are so vulnerable as are any large gathering of people attending events like sporting events. It's really a sad development that there seems to be a proliferation of people who are so angry and isolated from the rest of their community that they resort to these mass revenge-suicide killings.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 4/16/2007 at 09:21 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Re: How Fortunate Was OU And Sooner Fans

We just need to keep in mind it is dang near impossible to prevent a killer from doing his deeds if he doesn't mind getting killed in the process. Therefore, I hope folks aren't too hard on the VT administration.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

I'm still not convinced that dude was some crazy, depressed loner. The fact he was associated with the Islamic Society of Norman still looms large in my mind.

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

to be honest I've thought about it since 9/11. people packed in at these sporting events. thank God it hasn't happened.

btw, I was in the crapper when the kid blew himself up.

vCash

it sounded a lot like the ROTC cannon... i didn't really think much when i heard it

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jdsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I thought about that night and hearing that explosion. It is my belief that he was a suicide bomber who meant to take some people with him. If he wanted to die alone, he could have put a gun to his head at home.

I was watching Fox News today & gun control was bought up. The comment was if concealed carry was allowed on college property much of today's tragedy might have and could have been stopped

Guns & God clinger-to'er.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBorn68
    I was watching Fox News today & gun control was bought up. The comment was if concealed carry was allowed on college property much of today's tragedy might have and could have been stopped
    One witness stated the perp stopped firing to reload several times. if somebody had been carrying in accordance with a Virginia CCP, this might have ended sooner...but then again, the VT Board of Trustees voted to make VT gun-free as they were allowed to do under VA state law, meaning no CC at VT.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

Administrator
    vCash

Oh no, time ****ing out here. "Legal concealed carry?" What a joke. I couldn't care less if a dude had just broke out of prison and robbed a sporting goods store of a rifle, and then shot the dude. I carry, and no, not "legally." I don't care. I live by the age-old adage "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

Awesoministrator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    We just need to keep in mind it is dang near impossible to prevent a killer from doing his deeds if he doesn't mind getting killed in the process. Therefore, I hope folks aren't too hard on the VT administration.
    Yep.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerus's Avatar
    vCash

Given the questions about the delay between V.Tech first shooting...
    ... and the subsequent carnage and questions about why the University did not seal off the campus after the first shooting....Here is my question, why did OU not seal off the campus after the bombing outside the stadium two years ago.... I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...

vCash

This reminds me of a discussion I had with the guy I go to football games with. We were waiting for one of the Nebraska games to kickoff, and began to discuss how effective the cops with guns would have been if somebody would have opened fire inside Memorial Stadium. The discussion was sparked by the fact that some weeks we would have to walk through a metal detector and get patted down, and other weeks I would walk with in a heavy coat with no checking. If somebody would have gotten into the Stadium it would have been quite easy to cause a lot of harm before the handful of cops could have done anything. Our basic consensus was that if you aren't going have consistent security outside the stadium, a few cops with guns inside weren't going to do a whole lot other than make it worse.

But really when you think about it, a mass event like a football game with large crowds, it would be very easy for a shooter to cause a lot of harm even if there were a bunch of people packing, if their main goal was to kill as many as they could as fast as they can.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    This reminds me of a discussion I had with the guy I go to football games with. We were waiting for one of the Nebraska games to kickoff, and began to discuss how effective the cops with guns would have been if somebody would have opened fire inside Memorial Stadium. The discussion was sparked by the fact that some weeks we would have to walk through a metal detector and get patted down, and other weeks I would walk with in a heavy coat with no checking. If somebody would have gotten into the Stadium it would have been quite easy to cause a lot of harm before the handful of cops could have done anything. Our basic consensus was that if you aren't going have consistent security outside the stadium, a few cops with guns inside weren't going to do a whole lot other than make it worse.

But really when you think about it, a mass event like a football game with large crowds, it would be very easy for a shooter to cause a lot of harm even if there were a bunch of people packing, if their main goal was to kill as many as they could as fast as they can.
    better place for a bomb...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerus
    better place for a bomb...
    At UNL it would be much easier to get close with guns, than it would with bomb because of the traffic set-up.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

... and the subsequent carnage and questions about why the University did not seal off the campus after the first shooting....Here is my question, why did OU not seal off the campus after the bombing outside the stadium two years ago.... I have always been angry I was not told and given the option of leaving...we, as fans, were left in the dark, I have always resented that...
    I honestly think there would have been a stampede of major proportions. too many idiots out there who overreact.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    I honestly think there would have been a stampede of major proportions. too many idiots out there who overreact.
    Should that not been our decision to leave or not...instead the decision was made for all of us...OU is darn lucky ....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

I was at the game, and all I can say is thank God no one told the stadium that some moron blew himself up outside. Do you have any idea how many people would have been seriously injured, and possibly killed, if they made that announcement and people went into a frenzy trying to get out of the stadium? Individual people can be very smart and look at situations rationally. Groups of people turn into a mob.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

vCash

For everyone who's just now figuring out how prime and vunerable of targets major sporting events are...1975 has a message for you.

We already figured that one out.
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

vCash

It could have been handled section by section...many options were available....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

Should that not been our decision to leave or not...instead the decision was made for all of us...OU is darn lucky ....
    I have come down on you for years about your mistreatment of Nate Hybl and his contribution to OU football, but in all that time, I have never seen you type something that ridiculous.

You are darn lucky that you can sit at your computer and not have to make a decision that could put peoples' lives at risk. If they would have made an announcement about the bomb and somthing awful had happened, than you would be saying they shouldn't have told us . That is, if you didn't die in the chaos that would have followed such an statement.

The OU administration, just like the VT administration, is made up of human beings, and human beings are fallible. Like it or not, they had to make a decision and make one quickly. I, for one, am glad they made the right one.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson