Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turgeon

Turgeon

so Turgeon is rumored to be the leading contender to be hired by a&m in the wake of Gillespie going to Kentucky

makes me think about what could have been.....if things would be any different at all

i'm not griping about Capel....but i know the comparisons will be made..even though Turgeon takes over a program left in much better shape than what Capel got

i look at our program and unless we pull in a huge recruit sometime soon, i see this program taking another 4-5 years to improve over what we are now

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Turgeon

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    so Turgeon is rumored to be the leading contender to be hired by a&m in the wake of Gillespie going to Kentucky

makes me think about what could have been.....if things would be any different at all

i'm not griping about Capel....but i know the comparisons will be made..even though Turgeon takes over a program left in much better shape than what Capel got

i look at our program and unless we pull in a huge recruit sometime soon, i see this program taking another 4-5 years to improve over what we are now

We can all thank Calvin for the 4-5 years......Our basketball program was left in more of a mess than any of us care to admit........If you look at the kids Calvin ran off (Drew Lavendar, L-Mac and others), then he found a way to put us on probation and then left, causing the best recruiting class in 20 years to leave. Calvin would call someone who did something like that "selfish".....Hmmmmmmm......It will always be about Calvin in Calvins world....

well, if the big recruits had stayed with their original LOI, then things might be different....that was my point...we'll never know of course, but you always wonder if a different hire would have been able to keep one or more of those kids.....

my thoughts are that kelvin was a good coach and did alot of good things for our program....but i'm also of the opinion that he's the kind of coach that can only take a program about as far as he took ours......i think IU will get about the same thing from him that we did......

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CobraKai's Avatar
    vCash

Loadholt is huge. And he plays basketball. Does he count?
    "That's a painting of me taking the bull by the horns. Its a metaphor. But that really happened."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

So, we're gonna do this whole Sampson thing again? Awesome.

Mental note to unsubsribe.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

no need, i was really reflecting on what could have been after he left....just sparking conversation

mods are free to lock it up if necessary

vCash

no need, i was really reflecting on what could have been after he left....just sparking conversation

mods are free to lock it up if necessary
    Oh, I know what you were doing. Vaild thread wit ha good point, but I just know what it will turn into when the sampson defenders get here dispute fwsooner22's claim.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

vCash

He has been gone one season..........Does anyone still talk about Billy, Switzer, Gibbs, of course they do..........That's what makes it fun.....instead we could talk about....oh nevermind....I know Colleyville knows what I am trying to say

vCash

Yeah, I know, but that's not what JK's thread was about.

Yes, JK, I think if we can get a big time recruit, like Jai Lucas, we can turn it around quicker.

I really can't wait to see how Blake griffin adjusts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner

Yes, JK, I think if we can get a big time recruit, like Jai Lucas, we can turn it around quicker.

JK's thread was about how long it will take to turn it around. Calvin is a factor in the product. Always will be. For the most part though you are right but there are no threads about Calvin anymore and I just cannot help myself..........

Quote Originally Posted by colleyvillesooner

getting Lucas would be a HUGE coup for Capel......but i just dont see a kid like that coming here, especially considering his other choices and the situations there

we need a point guard more than sic'em needs to get laid

vCash

zing!

fw - Jk's thread was alot less about Sampson and alot more about the hiring process and the recruiting aftermath.....Turgeon was on the short list, or so it seemed.....maybe he really wasnt.......at the time, OU would appear to have been a much hotter spot to transfer into than A&M is now.....based on performance and recruits....and then we hire Capel who is REALLY young and unproven with alot of upside.....

now A&m is near the top of the conference with a strong tourney showing and strong recruiting class, and Turgeon will take that program over rather than ours.....

just funny how things work out

vCash

getting Lucas would be a HUGE coup for Capel......but i just dont see a kid like that coming here, especially considering his other choices and the situations there

we need a point guard more than sic'em needs to get laid

I thought it was all immaculate down there in Waco.....Ya mean they do that stuff.........wow

The sprawling metropolis of Manhattan, Kansas.
    vCash

I think A&M could have done a little better than this.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Well, as an ardent Kelvin supporter (at one time), what I heard on these boards is people were tired of Kelvin's "snore" ball. In which case, you'd get more of the same with Turgeon.

No doubt Capel's greatest failure in his first year was not keeping the recruits we had, but I'm willing to give him a few years. I wouldn't feel any better about our situation if Turgeon were the coach and there's certainly no certainty that he would have kept Reynolds, etc.

i'm not sure i'd call letting the recruits go a failure of Capel......i dont think thats fair imo.....now, what he does with the program forward from here is all him

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm not really holding it against Capel for losing the recruits. He tried to keep them, but he did not recruit them and they were not familiar with him and did not have a lot of time to become familiar with him. I understand why they went elsewhere and the University was right to let them out of the LOI.

It still was a failure though, because they were signed and he wasn't able to keep them. But overall I was happy with what I saw on the court with the talent on hand. I really didn't expect us to be competitive with the upper echelon teams.

vCash

Your two paragraphs kinda go against each other. How can it be a failure? He tried to keep some players that he didn't recruit, and as much as some people don't want to believe, the player commits to a coach, not a school.

He tried his best to keep them, but I don't see it as a failure.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KStatePike
    I think A&M could have done a little better than this.
    Interesting... who would you have gone for, were you Bill Byrne?

For the record, I think he is a solid fit for A&M. Family man, (back me up on this, Micco... College Station is THE perfect family town) and it was a step up for him.

Basketball folks are starting to know who Texas A&M is. Who knew WSU were the "Shockers" before all of this?