Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 frankensooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: What did Imus say?

Anybody remember when Beth Ringle got canned for dropping a GD on Channel 8 in Tulsey town. Those were the days.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    But then again, spitting at somebody transcends all race/creed/color/sex/religion. Which is a great point. Spitting at someone is offensive at it's core.
    That's always been my planned response for if a woman were ever to raise her hand to me.
    La ola es mía.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bao
    I can't believe you guys are serious.

There is PC and then there's common decency.

There is purposely hurtful and there's funny.

There are people who deserve all of the ridicule and more and there are some who don't.

We're talking about unpaid student athletes whose only incentive is their love of the sport and to represent their school to the best of their ability. As their coach pointed out, they've represented very well with pride and dignity.

If Imus described your sister or daughter as white trailer trash whores, are you going to just say: "okay, well Imus is Imus and he just speaks his mind."?

And, what if he hacked a looggie on your car?

Okay, go ahead and neg spek me.
    and we're talking about a guy who has a radio show and is a shock jock wannabe real journalist type.
    he should only have to answer to those who listen to him and his employer/advertiser.
    this ain't a government official.

if we're going to bust a nut on this then let's go after Tokyo Rosie and the whole lot of 'em.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Chuck Bao's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    and we're talking about a guy who has a radio show and is a shock jock wannabe real journalist type.
    he should only have to answer to those who listen to him and his employer/advertiser.
    this ain't a government official.
    Good points there, pic. I do get this whole shock jock thing.

Funny how several posters in this thread mentioned the Thailand blocking of youtube. Before the block, that offensive video clip had 6,000 hits. In the 24 hours after the block the youtube hits rose to over 60,000.

Anyway, I ain't a government official either and I can freely express my own opinion. This **** isn't much entertainment.

I still say fire his sorry boney white arse.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pricetag
    That's always been my planned response for if a woman were ever to raise her hand to me.
    I'd just knock the bitch out.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

There are people who deserve all of the ridicule and more and there are some who don't.

We're talking about unpaid student athletes whose only incentive is their love of the sport and to represent their school to the best of their ability. As their coach pointed out, they've represented very well with pride and dignity.

If Imus described your sister or daughter as white trailer trash whores, are you going to just say: "okay, well Imus is Imus and he just speaks his mind."?

You had better get a med exam, as you and I are in agreement on this...besides, I have always found Imus particularly repulsive.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

I don't disagree that what he said was stupid, but so is calling for him to be fired. You know what you should do? Vote with the radio dial. Don't listen to him. Trust me, the radio stations take notice of stuff like that, especially when their advertisers start walking. My biggest complaint with the damn PC movement is that they take away the element of choice for everyone. If I feel that something said on the radio is offensive or that I don't like it, I turn the station and I don't listen to it anymore. Censorship is bad, even if it is censoring people like Imus, because censorship hurts everyone, not just the people you don't like.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

why do I feel that this crowd would be bitching about Jimmy The Greek being fired back in the day.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

Quote Originally Posted by Scott D
    why do I feel that this crowd would be bitching about Jimmy The Greek being fired back in the day.
    Scott - its not a black white thing....at least not for me......what he said was idiotic and highly insensitive, and wrong

but i just dont think people should be fired for their comments.......people in goverment positions? sure......radio and tv? no...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    Scott - its not a black white thing....at least not for me......what he said was idiotic and highly insensitive, and wrong

but i just dont think people should be fired for their comments.......people in goverment positions? sure......radio and tv? no...
    Well here's the catch-22. Ultimately the radio and tv are responsible to their sponsors and board of directors. It's when sponsors threaten to pull ads that they get nervous, and I think that would be more likely to get Imus fired than Sharpton and Jackson making public noise about it.

Truthfully, Imus should have been fired back in the 90s for just flat out sucking.

The Jimmy the Greek reference was more along the lines of the "well the jackass said something stupid, but he shouldn't be fired for saying something stupid." response.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

hell Scott, you make it sound like he invented the word 'nappy'. Words are just words. They have no power. If someone chooses to be offended by words then that's their business. It's sad that we have to censor words because a minority of the population doesn't like them.
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    hell Scott, you make it sound like he invented the word 'nappy'. Words are just words. They have no power. If someone chooses to be offended by words then that's their business. It's sad that we have to censor words because a minority of the population doesn't like them.
    Easier to say for the group that is on the other side of offending words most often.

vCash

how do I do that 1tc? I've only stated that Imus should have been fired long ago for a) not being funny, b) not being relevant, c) being useless and wasting airspace for the last decade+.

I also simply said that it's more dependant on the sponsors for the station on whether or not Imus'd get fired than by anything Sharpton or Jackson say. I'm not offended by anything Imus said at all. I'm not surprised that something stupid came out of his mouth that has made news, it's about the only time anyone remembers he still exists.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by sanantoniosooner
    Easier to say for the group that is on the other side of offending words most often.
    water is wet. kudos to us for pointing out the obvious.

You ever been on the winning side of a discrimination lawsuit against the State, the Higher Ed Regents, the OU Regents and OU? I have.
    one day

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    You ever been on the winning side of a discrimination lawsuit against the State, the Higher Ed Regents, the OU Regents and OU? I have.
    Yes.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

Wow.

You must be right about everything.

vCash

I was wrong once. In 1988. I still remember that day.
    one day

vCash

hoe's isn't racial. I know some white ones.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso
    hoe's isn't racial. I know some white ones.
    It's not, and nobody has claimed it is. It's sexist.

Describing a person of color as "nappy-headed" is racist.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    It's not, and nobody has claimed it is. It's sexist.

Describing a person of color as "nappy-headed" is racist.
    I was joking ruffled feather guy.

I know some nappy headed white hoe's too. we all need shampoo ya know.