Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer OklahomaSooners's Avatar
    vCash

Teryy Bowden says college football playoffs are inevitable.

Of all colors, Why burnt orange?

Drunky Town Limnologist Fraggle145's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Teryy Bowden says college football playoffs are inevitable.

Thats how I would want it. 4 teams. Probably dont need anymore.

This makes sure that if there are 3 undefeateds they all get a chance, but still keeps the regular season extremely valuable, unlike the pros or college bball.

I think that the one loss teams will whine, but the deal is if you wouldnt have lost you wouldnt be whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    your puny brain can't understand the awesomeness of God
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Octavian's Avatar
    vCash

I'm not too worried about Terry's "guaran-dadgum-tee," supported by a slew of of "trust me's," and "Don't think for a minute's."

Quote Originally Posted by OklahomaSooners

It's all about money and that simply means that a full blown play-off system will eventually occur. Higher revenues will drive the whole thing.

Just my take.

vCash

Were gonna win no matter what, so it doesn't matter.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

One of the presidents' arguments against a playoff is that it would take players out of the classroom at the end of the semester. First, a playoff could be scheduled around finals and prep for the same. But an examply of fallacy of this excuse is simply that the recent basketball tournament has taken the team members out the classroom and they let that be OK. The mens national basketball finals started at 9 PM in Atlanta. The women's final is played on Tuesday. Regular season basketball games are played on "school nights" sometimes halfway across the nation. Why do university presidents get so concerned about football playoffs interferring with classwork as the games are usually on Saturday, and not the least bit concerned about the scheduling of other sports?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

the system is fine, why change it?

caught in the undertow, just caught in the undertow
    vCash

If Terry Bowden knew what college presidents might do, he'd still be coaching.
    I got a bad mustache
    a recurring rash
    and not a lot of cash.
    I spend it on my stash.
    Man it's good to be a geek!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    A better idea would be for posters to stop being cockgobbling dooshrockets for the sport of it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CobraKai's Avatar
    vCash

I think Terry Bowden is an a$$hat, but I agree with him on this one.
    "That's a painting of me taking the bull by the horns. Its a metaphor. But that really happened."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

BOSIE would have still been screwed last year.

Michigan Ohio St Florida and USC

Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Yeah, let's listen to a guy that porks the daughter of a rich donor he has employed as his secretary...
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

I heard on the radio that the SEC was going to come out as the first conference to officially request and back an 8-team playoff. If that happens, and other conferences get on board, it might just speed up the time table. I was thinking it would be something like this:

4-team playoff: reorganizing in 2010
    8-team: 5-10 more years
    12-team: around 15 years
    16-team: around 20 years

I really believe it's going to happen, its just a matter of when. Also, when the NCAA see's how much money their making, they will expand it. However, if there are conferences backing it and more people behind it, we just might get a speed up of that last time line, and maybe, just maybe, we might get an 8-team playoff in 2010. However, that might be too much to ask. I really believe that a playoff and proper backing of the National Title game would make this event bigger then the super bowl. The Tourney is already bigger then the NBA playoffs.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

The SEC is ridiculous for doing this. They are the ones that have all of their "traditions" down South and now they want to rid the college football landscape of perhaps its most sacred of traditions, the bowl games. All of this because they have convinced themselves they play in the super-hardestest conference God ever invented and there is no way that a team could possibly go undefeated down there, otherwise they'd win every dadgum title ever invented for college football.

I hope none of the other conferences fall in line with them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by poke4christ
    I heard on the radio that the SEC was going to come out as the first conference to officially request and back an 8-team playoff. If that happens, and other conferences get on board, it might just speed up the time table. I was thinking it would be something like this:

4-team playoff: reorganizing in 2010
    8-team: 5-10 more years
    12-team: around 15 years
    16-team: around 20 years

I really believe it's going to happen, its just a matter of when. Also, when the NCAA see's how much money their making, they will expand it. However, if there are conferences backing it and more people behind it, we just might get a speed up of that last time line, and maybe, just maybe, we might get an 8-team playoff in 2010. However, that might be too much to ask. I really believe that a playoff and proper backing of the National Title game would make this event bigger then the super bowl. The Tourney is already bigger then the NBA playoffs.
    Doesnt matter for you... your team will never make it. and an 8 team play off would suck. we need the bowl tradition and the importance of the regular season, that is what sets college football apart.
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

vCash

Just rename the playoff games as bowls if that is so important.

Personally, I think the bowls are f'n stupid.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganSooner
    One of the presidents' arguments against a playoff is that it would take players out of the classroom at the end of the semester. First, a playoff could be scheduled around finals and prep for the same. But an examply of fallacy of this excuse is simply that the recent basketball tournament has taken the team members out the classroom and they let that be OK. The mens national basketball finals started at 9 PM in Atlanta. The women's final is played on Tuesday. Regular season basketball games are played on "school nights" sometimes halfway across the nation. Why do university presidents get so concerned about football playoffs interferring with classwork as the games are usually on Saturday, and not the least bit concerned about the scheduling of other sports?
    It's just a cop-out by the presidents. The lower divisions do it, including some pretty highly-ranked universities, so that's not a valid reason. Also, a lot of spring sports have tournaments during second semester finals. Doesn't seem to affect them that much.

Just the higher-ups reaching, that's all.
    at this point in the process, I can only assume it was a typo and they meant to say "cram"...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Seamus's Avatar
    vCash

Not to threadjack, but years ago there was a picture of Terruh Bowden drunk as hell trying to mack on this young coed. I would love to see that photo again, if anyone has it.

As for the playoffs, I'm down with a 4- to 8-team field. The major bowls would rotate as they do now. For instance, the Rose could be the title game, the Fiesta and Orange could be the semifinals, and the Sugar and Cotton (in JerryWorld) could be the opening round, along with 2 other bowls in nice locales (Citrus, Holiday?).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 batonrougesooner's Avatar
    vCash

I think a playoff shouldn't be any bigger than eight teams. I think more risks diluting the regular season.
    "I am batonrougesooner and I approved this message"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

heh... and it's Teryy, not Terry.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jaux
    I'm amazed Terry Bowden doesn't have a major network analyst position. He has the skills and insight.
    you forgot the
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib