Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubby Smith

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Tubby Smith

Does Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky for Minnesota give us the upper-hand on Jai Lucas?

And does Kentucky go after Gillespie now?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Tubby Smith

I think Gillespie would be crazy to not take that job. He can recruit, he can coach, and he would have amazing support. Just look at what he did at sh*t holes such as utep and a&m
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDawg's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerAcesUp
    Does Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky for Minnesota give us the upper-hand on Jai Lucas?
    I hope so.

And does Kentucky go after Gillespie now?
    I hope so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

1. I hope so. Sounds like Tubby is now in get-fat-no-stress-retirement mode.
    2. I hope so. Both parties would be stupid for not doing so. It's a top 5 job, and he is a top 5 coach (excluding coaches at the other top 5 schools). I don't see them entertaining Caliparie or Pitino (again), and I don't see Donavon/Self/Barnes leaving their schools.

How about Scott Sutton No family history there.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Taxman71's Avatar
    vCash

That's a goocher. I guess it is unanimous.

I think it helps us a bit with Jai. It depends on who they hire.

I don't think Gillespie would take that job. He's a small town Texas boy, and the A&M program is his program. Whatever success he has at A&M is truly appreciated. At Kentucky, if don't get to the Sweet 16, people want you fired.

I think he'd be crazy to take the Kentucky job, unless the money is just frickin' ridiculous.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

I think Kentucky just spent an unhappy several years with a tough defensive-minded coach who didn't light up the scoreboard. They hated him.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    I think Kentucky just spent an unhappy several years with a tough defensive-minded coach who didn't light up the scoreboard. They hated him.
    That sounds familiar....
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

And now they'll probably end up not being as good.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

You have to think Jai was waiting to see what would happen with Kentucky regarding Patterson/Tubby, which would lead one to believe that UK is probably out of it, so that can do nothing but help the schools in on Jai not named Kentucky (unless UK hits a homerun with their new coach... and quickly).

vCash

Man, nothing says "I don't like pressure" quite like leaving Kentucky to coach at Minnesota.

And I remember when Tubby was first getting his start at Tulsa; his teams were considered uptempo teams that pressed and shot the 3. I guess when you can't shoot the 3, that just leaves defense...
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

the aggies better be saying their prayers, because i'm thinking UK will come after Gillespie pretty hard......and for an up and comer like him, thats a hard job to turn down

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OSUAggie's Avatar
    vCash

The only question is will he crawl there.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    the aggies better be saying their prayers, because i'm thinking UK will come after Gillespie pretty hard......and for an up and comer like him, thats a hard job to turn down
    that's what i think.

now, ATM has money out the wazoo and will have the Billy g.=Aggie basketball success desperation.

will be interesting to see how quickly the rumor mill fires up if a&m loses tonite

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jk the sooner fan
    will be interesting to see how quickly the rumor mill fires up if a&m loses tonite
    Dude, texags already has posts about "not needing this distraction"
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

this is sorta like Mike Stoops leaving for Zona before the big bowl game huh?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

The word here in Lexington, KY, is Tubby was in a power struggle with AD Barnhart, and when Barnhart insisted on taking control of the basketball program, Tubby decided to look elsewhere. The fact UK fans are largely a bunch of spoiled, impossible to please, hypercritical, really never wanted Tubby, whiners, made the decision rather easy.

Tubby is a fine coach and an even better person. He sure did not play a very exciting style of ball, but he did win almost 80% of his games in his UK career with annually one of the toughest schedules in college hoops. He has one national title and many SEC titles, but there is no pleasing UK fans. And yes, having known many UK fans, there has truly always been an undercurrent of uneasiness or even blatant intolerance with Tubby's race.

UK fans will want Billy Donovan, but Billy would be crazy to come here and put up with this kind of scrutiny and pressure.

vCash

You have to want the money pretty bad to deal with those crazy ***holes in Lexington. ATM has got the scratch, and have a slightly less crazy group of ***holes for basketball fans. Kentucky's basketball search may resemble Nebraska's football search.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

they do have Ashley Judd though