Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Yermom

vCash

Hey Yermom

The laptop thread is what brought this up, but I'm thinking of building my own system. I'm going to start buying the components piece-meal but if I list the components I intend to buy then could you give me an idea if there is any conflict, incompatibility, or a better choice?

At one time or another, I've replaced everything in a computer but I've never put one together from scratch.

Anyone else is free to offer an opinion.

my post count betrays me leavingthezoo's Avatar
    somewhere between normal and insane. NINSANE!
    vCash

Re: Hey Yermom

learn to change a tire first.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by leavingthezoo
    learn to change a tire first.
    I don't have a problem with electronics.
    I have a problem with mechanics.

vCash

buy a Dell with a PCI-e slot

i don't build my own, i don't think it's worth it

i like using computers, not working on them

i don't know too much about compatibility, but i can help you out where i can, i guess

Drunky Town Limnologist Fraggle145's Avatar
    vCash

I've built two... not to say I really knew which parts went together, I asked my techie friends for that... but putting them together is cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by yermom
    your puny brain can't understand the awesomeness of God
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

vCash

buy a Dell with a PCI-e slot

i don't build my own, i don't think it's worth it

i like using computers, not working on them

i don't know too much about compatibility, but i can help you out where i can, i guess
    Well, I've sort of considered doing something like that. What would you think about buying a cheap system and then just building up from there?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle145
    I've built two... not to say I really knew which parts went together, I asked my techie friends for that... but putting them together is cake.

well, it's not the putting them together that is the problem, it's dealing with crap when it's DOA, etc...

instead of trying to figure out if it's the Intel CPU, or the Via board or the power supply that came with your case that is causing the the thing to not power up is a bitch

crap, now which one is still under warranty? i hope it's the part i shipped back to them that's broken, that restocking fee kinda sucks

now if you have a lot of similar machines laying around, this isn't that bad, because you can pull parts and test stuff, but i'm not really running a lab or anything in my house

it's pretty hard to beat some pre-built deals from the OEMs unless you have some high-end needs and want some killer motherboard or something

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor
    Well, I've sort of considered doing something like that. What would you think about buying a cheap system and then just building up from there?
    with the PCI-e slot you can always upgrade to a kickass video card later if you need to, but they can cost about what the whole system does, depending on what your needs are

the Dell deals with 17"-19" monitors are usually pretty good, then you can upgrade the RAM from somewhere else, and storage if you need it

they are outrageous on their upgrades for those...

vCash

well, it's not the putting them together that is the problem, it's dealing with crap when it's DOA, etc...

instead of trying to figure out if it's the Intel CPU, or the Via board or the power supply that came with your case that is causing the the thing to not power up is a bitch

crap, now which one is still under warranty? i hope it's the part i shipped back to them that's broken, that restocking fee kinda sucks

now if you have a lot of similar machines laying around, this isn't that bad, because you can pull parts and test stuff, but i'm not really running a lab or anything in my house

it's pretty hard to beat some pre-built deals from the OEMs unless you have some high-end needs and want some killer motherboard or something
    Agreed... IT used to be a lot harder than it is now... they have almost made it idiot proof. The bare bones systems are pretty nice... I just hate all that crap you get on a new machine, they always feel unclean to me...
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

vCash

that's why the first thing you do is wipe and reinstall them

and sicem, the first thing you have to do, is choose a processor. from their you can choose your mainboard and then the rest of your parts
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

vCash

Once you know what you are looking for I recommend shopping at these two sites. Their customer service is pretty good for both in my experience.

http://www.outpost.com/

http://www.newegg.com/
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

vCash

outpost is fry's which sometimes has questionable goods (atleast in their retail stores they did)

newegg though, can't be beat
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer93
    that's why the first thing you do is wipe and reinstall them

and sicem, the first thing you have to do, is choose a processor. from their you can choose your mainboard and then the rest of your parts
    yeah, i always wipe new machines, the OEMs always install a bunch of goofy crap

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer93
    outpost is fry's which sometimes has questionable goods (atleast in their retail stores they did)

newegg though, can't be beat
    i've never had problems with outpost

i buy most of my crap from newegg.com though

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Watch out for Fry's/Outpost's return policy. It makes it difficult to return anything.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04

vCash

I didnt have any problem returning to fry's... just my experience though.
    Olevet Posse - Dirty Lib

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

this is where I call you a sicem
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

i've never had those problems, i've just watched other people have them, and learned from their mistakes

i've never built my own system, but i've replaced about every component in one

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

I must be smart in buying. This system has been up and running for over two years now. The most I've had to do was buy more fans, and I've replaced a couple of the cheaper plastic ones you get for $10 with the $20 ones that run at higher rpms lowering my system temp by about 10 degrees.
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

vCash

honestly, I've never got a doa part from newegg. I did twice get bad memory from mushkin (I was really suprised about this). Luckily they're located in Denver about 15 miles from where I lived, so I just drove down there and exchanged it.

Bud Wilkinson