Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member TopDaugIn2000's Avatar
    vCash

polyurethane applying knowledge possessors

so when I bought my cork flooring they said "when you get finished, roll on a coat of polyurethane."
    I first bought water based, but once I got it home I read not to use it on floors because it will wear in high traffic areas. I then went back and bought oil-based. I rolled on the first coat sunday night and when I went back monday there were little bubbles in it, and it was sticky in some places. I knew I must have put it on too thick, but the coverage wasn't even at ALL. So I read online monday and found info saying to sand it lightly with a fine steel wool, thin down the poly (to prevent bubbles), and apply a thin second coat to fill in the "craters". Did that monday night, applied it with a wool-like pad for oil based poly. Went back yesterday and it was STILL not even. Shiny in some spots, dull in others. If I lay it on thick, it bubbles. If I lay it on thin, it's not even and doesn't cover. ARGH!. So I applied ANOTHER coat last night, didn't thin it, but spread it on very thin. If I STILL have thin spots, I'm not sure what to do. Should I thin down another gallon (to prevent bubbles) and lay it on thick in order to get even coverage? ANyone with experience with this PLEASE HELP!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member sanantoniosooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: polyurethane applying knowledge possessors

I would let it set for an extra day and go back with some thin coats.

My understanding is that the waterbased actually wears better, and doesn't yellow, but perhaps not the brand you originally selected.

I've never worked with cork, but most woods can be spotty about how they soak up a sealer. Thick coats are never a good idea. Most polys I've seen don't take kindly to thinning. I would use it full strength but only thick enough to give a "wet" look.

I don't know how many coats it recommends, but I'd probably would have expected to put at least two, lightly sand, and add a final coat.

3. 3/14/2007, 09:26 AM

vCash

apparently the cork already HAS three coats of sealer from the factory, and after laying it just needs one last coat to seal the cracks. I just talked to my mom, she is there, says it looks much better today. Maybe one more thin coat tonight will do the trick.

vCash

If it was prefinished, there is the possibility that the finishes weren't compatible.

This would account for some bubbles. It probably would have been a good idea to research the original finish and try to use the same type of coating.

vCash

Spray it on next time.

Also...wear an organic mask and make sure there is plenty of fresh air.

You'll hate the way you feel if you coat your lungs.

vCash

I wouldn't recommend spraying unless you have experience. A lot of the waterborne urethanes actually recommend using the lambskin applicator. Spraying tends to stir up stuff and the floor is where it will settle.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

The cork floor I put in the Byron G Rogers courthouse had the same problems. People that got paid money to know how to install and finish cork floors had problems.

Good luck.
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner Born Sooner Bred's Avatar
    vCash

What are the advantages to cork floors? That sounds like a pain in the *** to me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Born Sooner Bred
    What are the advantages to cork floors? That sounds like a pain in the *** to me.
    It's a little softer than other types, if that appeals to you.

Perhaps if you have a kid that could have seizure and fall suddenly.

I'm not sure what other reasons would be for it to appeal to someone.

vCash

It's quiet to walk on. I think that's why they wanted it for the courtrooms.
    one day

vCash

how well does it hold up though?
    “If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

vCash

quieter
    warmer
    softer
    natural fire retardant
    waterproof
    ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY
    25 year warranty

vCash

is it really environmentally friendly if you have to slosh all of that poly on it? The job I was on was a LEEDS job and they could only use the water based poly.
    one day

vCash

Cork flooring advantages
    Cork flooring is a natural and silent flooring alternative to hardwood floors. Its unique cellular structure contains air pockets that provide acoustic insulation.

Cork floorings special quality
    What makes cork so unique is its naturally occurring 14-sided durable cellular structure that makes it flexible, waterproof and airtight. Cork is actually a bark that is harvested from the cork oak tree in Europe.

Cork flooring is environmentally friendly
    A green choice for flooring, harvested from trees in a sustainable manner every 10 years, cork continues to grow and is a renewable resource. Removing the bark of a tree can cause damage, but regulations in most growing areas restrict the frequency of harvesting and the amount that can be removed at any one time.

Cork dampens noise
    Cork flooring is a natural acoustic insulator and is an excellent choice for apartments and condominiums as it muffles the sound of heavy foot traffic. Cork is also a good underlayment choice for other floating floor systems to reduce the “hollow echo” sound and to give your floors a more permanent natural sound.

Feels good to walk on
    Cork is soft underfoot and has a gentle give under pressure. It has good memory and bounces back to its original shape. It also provides a cushioning effect for items that are dropped on it, often preventing them from breaking.

Cork has many resistive qualities
    Cork is fire resistant and will not spread flame, naturally repels insects, has antimicrobial qualities that resist rot.

Cork flooring is a good insulator
    Cork is a decent flooring thermal insulator that provide better insulating r-values that most carpets. This is another benefit of cork flooring that can help reduce heating costs over time and help pay for itself.

Antistatic and hypoallergenic
    Cork does not shed gases or fiber or attract dust and debris, so it makes for very easy cleaning.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller
    is it really environmentally friendly if you have to slosh all of that poly on it? The job I was on was a LEEDS job and they could only use the water based poly.
    yeah, well, that was a goof on my part. live and learn

vCash

I wasn't trying to be snarky, honest. More of thinking out loud trying to remember.

Once you get the poly figured out it'll be beautiful.
    one day

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 opksooner's Avatar
    vCash

I am one who knows concerning this. "Knowe. aboute." gets censored.

Use a lambs wool applicator in the future. The roller is what caused the bubbles.
    .....and that's all the news from out here on the old Santa Fe Trail.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TopDaugIn2000
    Cork flooring advantages
    Cork flooring is a natural and silent flooring alternative to hardwood floors. Its unique cellular structure contains air pockets that provide acoustic insulation.

Cork floorings special quality
    What makes cork so unique is its naturally occurring 14-sided durable cellular structure that makes it flexible, waterproof and airtight. Cork is actually a bark that is harvested from the cork oak tree in Europe.

Cork flooring is environmentally friendly
    A green choice for flooring, harvested from trees in a sustainable manner every 10 years, cork continues to grow and is a renewable resource. Removing the bark of a tree can cause damage, but regulations in most growing areas restrict the frequency of harvesting and the amount that can be removed at any one time.

Cork dampens noise
    Cork flooring is a natural acoustic insulator and is an excellent choice for apartments and condominiums as it muffles the sound of heavy foot traffic. Cork is also a good underlayment choice for other floating floor systems to reduce the “hollow echo” sound and to give your floors a more permanent natural sound.

Feels good to walk on
    Cork is soft underfoot and has a gentle give under pressure. It has good memory and bounces back to its original shape. It also provides a cushioning effect for items that are dropped on it, often preventing them from breaking.

Cork has many resistive qualities
    Cork is fire resistant and will not spread flame, naturally repels insects, has antimicrobial qualities that resist rot.

Cork flooring is a good insulator
    Cork is a decent flooring thermal insulator that provide better insulating r-values that most carpets. This is another benefit of cork flooring that can help reduce heating costs over time and help pay for itself.

Antistatic and hypoallergenic
    Cork does not shed gases or fiber or attract dust and debris, so it makes for very easy cleaning.
    and it floats!
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by opksooner
    I am one who knows concerning this. "Knowe. aboute." gets censored.

n00b

“If a team is to reach its potential, each player must be willing to subordinate his personal goals to the good of the team.”

Bud Wilkinson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Highheels ruin cork floors.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04