Picking Oklahoma's carcass proves to be nourishing

ouch.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10058201

Picking Oklahoma's carcass proves to be nourishing
    March 13, 2007
    By Gregg Doyel
    CBS SportsLine.com National Columnist
    Tell Gregg your opinion!

The mushroom cloud continues to rise over Norman, Okla., where the Oklahoma Sooners were left out of the NCAA Tournament, the NIT and a juco invitational next month in Kansas.

This time last year, the Sooners were coming off a ninth consecutive 20-win season. They had one of the top five recruiting classes in the country. They were, as usual, going places.

When you see Scottie Reynolds and Kelvin Sampson in the West Regional, think about Oklahoma. (US Presswire)
    Into the dumper, as it turns out.

If you think I'm happy about it, you're wrong. Oklahoma doesn't deserve to fall off college basketball's cliff. But after going 16-15 this season and losing two of its top three scorers, OU must rebuild around next year's solid, not sensational, freshmen. It doesn't look good.

But the possible death of Oklahoma basketball has given life to three other schools, each of which made it into the 2007 NCAA Tournament with help from OU refugees. Indiana and Villanova, specifically, should split their tournament proceeds with Oklahoma, which has become college hoops' jelly-of-the-month club -- the gift that keeps on giving, the whole year.

To Indiana, OU basketball gave coach Kelvin Sampson. While at Oklahoma he racked up record numbers of wins and cell phone minutes, numbers that are related. He parlayed his advanced work ethic, as he liked to call his remorseless cheating, into relationships with high school kids who chose to play for the Sooners and their telephonically gifted coach.

Sampson probably would have left for Indiana regardless, but with NCAA investigators closing in, Sampson couldn't flee that sinking ship fast enough. What was Indiana thinking? Indiana was thinking about the bottom line -- wins and losses -- and Sampson has delivered. The Hoosiers do not have NCAA Tournament talent, but they have an NCAA Tournament team, and a No. 7-seeded team at that. That is all Sampson. He's a great coach. A cheater and a liar and a hypocrite. But a great coach.

To Villanova, OU basketball gave Scottie Reynolds. He's the McDonald's All-American guard who signed with the Sooners but was released from his scholarship when Sampson took the Indiana job.

Reynolds is possibly the most dynamic player in the Big East, and definitely the reason Villanova scraped into the NCAA Tournament at 22-10. The Wildcats lost guards Randy Foye, Allan Ray and Kyle Lowry to the NBA and didn't adequately replace them on the recruiting trail. After winning 52 games and reaching the 2005 Sweet 16 and the 2006 Elite Eight, Villanova was going to crash in 2007. It's Newton's law of gravity.

But then came Oklahoma's law of cavity: If it falls out of our decaying program, you can have it. And the next thing you know, Villanova lucked into one of the best point guards in the country. Reynolds averaged 14.5 points and 4.1 assists, and by late February had figured out how to take over games. The Wildcats were 18-9 and squarely on the NCAA/NIT bubble when Reynolds went off, averaging 29 points over four straight victories to get Villanova into the 65-team field.

Thank you, Oklahoma.

Texas also sends along its gratitude. The Longhorns don't owe their entire season to an Oklahoma refugee -- Texas owes that to Kevin Durant -- but the Longhorns wouldn't be the NCAA championship threat they have become without power forward Damion James. He averages 7.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, and is second only to Durant among Big 12 freshmen with four double-doubles.

James was another member of Sampson's final recruiting class who asked to leave when the coach bolted for Indiana. The thing is, Oklahoma could have said no. Oklahoma could have told James that he had signed his national letter of intent with "Oklahoma," not with "Kelvin Sampson," and that unless he had the money to pay his way for a year at another school, he was stuck with the Sooners.

In a matter of weeks, Oklahoma had seen its entire program come crashing down. The NCAA was looking at blatant cheating. The coach left for Indiana. His best three recruits -- Reynolds, James and Jeremy Mayfield -- asked to be set free. Mayfield didn't lead UAB into the NCAA Tournament, but the Sooners could have used his 6-10, 240-pound presence and his 4.5 ppg and 4.1 rpg.

The Sooners could have used Mayfield. They could've used James and Reynolds. They could have lashed out at any or all of them. It wouldn't have been the right thing to do, but Sampson has carved out a nice career for himself proving to the OU administration that "the right thing to do" isn't the best way to get ahead in college basketball.

But the Sooners did the right thing. They rolled over. They played dead. They hired Jeff Capel and they released everyone who wanted to be released and they went 16-15 and they are finished this college basketball season while 97 teams continue to play.

So go ahead and watch Sampson lead Indiana and Reynolds lead Villanova in the West Regional. Watch Texas try to ride Durant, with plenty of help from James, out of the East Regional and on to the national championship.

Just don't forget the school that made it all possible. Don't forget the poor bastards left behind at Oklahoma.
    Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

Sooner Benchwarmer garland sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Picking Oklahoma's carcass proves to be nourishing

yeah. It's retarded that when you do sign a letter of intent, you want to leave when the coach leaves.

vCash

that whole thing really torques me off

how do you go to Texas? i mean that is a slap in the face.

Awesoministrator

vCash

Sampson probably would have left for Indiana regardless, but with NCAA investigators closing in, Sampson couldn't flee that sinking ship fast enough. What was Indiana thinking? Indiana was thinking about the bottom line -- wins and losses -- and Sampson has delivered. The Hoosiers do not have NCAA Tournament talent, but they have an NCAA Tournament team, and a No. 7-seeded team at that. That is all Sampson. He's a great coach. A cheater and a liar and a hypocrite. But a great coach.
    Ouch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Scott D's Avatar
    vCash

gee all the guy forgot to do was find a way to mention what Drew Lavender and Lawrence McKenzie are doing now
    "The mark of a great player is in his ability to come back. The great champions have all come back from defeat." - Sam Snead

SoonerFans.com Elite Member colleyvillesooner's Avatar
    Out back...in the hot tub, you know, hanging out
    vCash

Sometimes I think I drink alot, then I see, like, the Motley Crüe behind the music, and realize I'm a huge *****.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Big Red Ron's Avatar
    vCash

Don't forget the poor bastards left behind at Oklahoma.
    This is why we have had all the Calvin Simpson threads. We didn't do anything wrong, Sampson did.

I can only hope that Capel can pick up a PG half as good as Reynolds.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,
    a thousand victories. - Sun Tzu (500 B.C.)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CtheB's Avatar
    vCash

This is going to be bliss for the Calvin bashers, and ridiculous to the Kelvin lovers.

I think the article has a lot of truth with a lot of edge. It may not be the best or truthful representation of Sampson, but without a doubt, it is a good representation of OU basketball, its administration, and its new coach.

For that, I have to give the article a thumbs up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member IronSooner's Avatar
    vCash

**** off dip**** [Doyel].

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I do take issue with ONE thing the article said however,that being that OU basketball is dead.He says that we have to rebuild arond a good but not great freshman class and I say ,SO WHAT? OU basketball was built on good but not great recruiting classes.IN the combined 26 years of the Sampson -Tubbs eras we had a total of 3 McDonald-Parade All-American type players(Tubbs-Jeff Webster,Wayman Tisdale/Sampson -Ryan Humphrey)but somehow managed to win612 games in that spanagainst 241 losses, had 2 FINAL FOUR teams,4 SWEET 16,and 2 ELITE 8 teams.

With Blake Griffin's arrival we have a 4th McDonalds-Parade All-American type player and ALL other recruits to this point are TOP 150 players.IMHO OU basketball is FAR from dead.I fully expect Capel to have OU back at 20+ wins and at at 9-7 or so in conference.I don't know if that means we are in THE DANCE next year or not but I'm willing to bet by year 3 we ARE DANCING again.Capel has rhe same kind of pedigree that Sampson and Tubbs had when they got here,good coaches from a non powerhose program.He also has something they didn't a father who is in the NBA coaching ranks.That sure can't hurt as an added resource for Jeff.

DO I know that Capel can return us to the Tubbs-Sampson level of excellence eand maybe even beyond? No,but based on what I saw this year I do BELIEVE he can.Rumors of OUR basketball death are greatly exaggerated.
    Last edited by stoopified; 3/18/2007 at 12:04 PM.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

To Indiana, OU basketball gave coach Kelvin Sampson. While at Oklahoma he racked up record numbers of wins and cell phone minutes, numbers that are related. He parlayed his advanced work ethic, as he liked to call his remorseless cheating, into relationships with high school kids who chose to play for the Sooners and their telephonically gifted coach.
    Man this guy didn't pull any punches.

I really do feel sorry for Sampson. In a serious way, he's damaged his national persona for a long time.

It is kind of interesting that Sampson and Sutton, Sr. had such a similar style and now Kelvin has that, "Yeah but he was a cheater." tag on him like Sutton too.

Both he and Eddie are great coaches but people don't respect them as much as other coaches.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

I think it was a fair and honest article. For all kelvin Sampson did for OU which I will not deny, he ultimately stuck it straight up our hind parts when he left! This is why it is rediculous that all sanctions dont follow the accused when they are convicted and bolt! We did the right thing in every aspect and Its good to finally see someone credit us for that even if it shows how we dropped off because of it!
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

vCash

Man, it took that article to make me realize that we're pretty much circa-2003 Baylor, sans murder.
    "If you don't become an actor you'll never be a factor" - Lupe Fiasco

vCash

After watching Blake Griffin for the past three years, I can say that he will be a big boost to the offense next year.

He far exceeds solid. He is sensational.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Collier11's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CtheB
    After watching Blake Griffin for the past three years, I can say that he will be a big boost to the offense next year.

He far exceeds solid. He is sensational.

So was his brother and we are still waiting on Taylor to become consistent!
    Ranger Reese of OVJ country, Patrollin tha hood.

I Survived Drunkytown with OleVet and all I got was this rash!

With a record of 109-23 (.826) and six Big 12 championships in 10 seasons, Stoops has reason to be arrogant. But he is not. He is somewhere between humble and unimpressed.
    ~ Ivan Maisel

http://sportslife11.blogspot.com/

vCash

Collier, I've watched them both extensively. Blake and Taylor are as different as night and day. Blake is significantly better than Taylor offensively at this point in his career.

vCash

I have read that now, like five times. I think the only thing he left out and that I would have mentioned that the 25 year post season streak ended.

But it's pretty obvious that he thinks the University of Oklahoma did the right thing but that Sampson is the alpha and omega of this firestorm, and I agree 100%.
    Know thy self,
    know thy enemy.
    A thousand battles,

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bri
    Man, it took that article to make me realize that we're pretty much circa-2003 Baylor, sans murder.
    The year's not over!
    Well, crap.

vCash

You could have it worse. You could be Nebraska basketball fans.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Mmm... ...ribs.

vCash

Nebraska has basketball?
    Well, crap.