Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member tbl's Avatar
    vCash

Workout/gym etiquette

So I make the mistake of going to the gym tonight at 6:00. Usually I go on my lunch break and there aren't many people there... but regardless, I run into this issue a lot.

When I work out, I do 4 sets (12, 10, 8, 6) of ascending weight. Since I'm in a gym where other people need to use the equipment, I do one set on one machine (or free weight), then move on to the next, essentially doing all my 12's in a series, then the 10's and so on.

I don't sit at the lateral pulldown machine and do my 12, 10, 8, & 6, all in a row, essentially bogarting the machine. However I see people do this ALL the time. I mean, if you're gonna do that, at least get up in between sets and let other people work in a set. More than a couple of times I've asked people if I could get in a set when they're just sitting there, and it's usually not a problem, but you can sometimes feel the tension.

I just don't understand why people can't do the same method, especially when its crowded, and even moreso when you have 2-3 guys working out together using the domination method. I had to wait on these three dudes the other day to work in three sets a pieces on one machine, and it's obvious I can't sneak in one on them since there's already three dudes... Am I wrong? Is it proper gym etiquette for somebody to sit at one machine and occupy it for 4 sets, essentially undisturbed? Am I the one out of line getting in 1 set at a machine then leaving, only to return 6 exercises later? Am I out of line by asking somebody if I can squeeze in a single set when it's obvious they're gonna be there for a while? I could understand if we're talking about free weights and the hassle of changing the weight around, but on a machine its just a matter of moving a small piece of metal. My way seems to make it flow MUCH better.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Workout/gym etiquette

do your set and move your ***.

vCash

I do all my sets in one shot at a station. I do let people in if they ask, but I generally prefer people use a machine and get done rather than wandering around doing stuff piecemeal. Then again, I always workout at off peak times so it doesn't matter that much. However, most people where I work out follow the same pattern I do. This leads me to conclude that you out of touch with standard gym mores.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

i always ask if someone wants to get one in and i get up from the machine..but i hate when someone just comes up and takes the machine without asking first..

usually I do all 4 sets on a machine but get up after every set and see if anybody else needs to get one in
    Bazinga

vCash

So far it's 2 to 1 royal, so get with the program!

Think about it though... You're ready to move on to reverse butterflys, and there's one machine in the gym. There's 2 buddies that decided they're working chest and shoulders today, so they sit down one at a time, start the butterflies, do 4 sets, then do the reverse flies, 4 sets. That's a LONG time to be hogging one machine, holmes. It's bulljive.

vCash

yeah, you do sets at a station or with free weights but you CAN move your *** while you rest between the sets.
    I hate these posers who sit/hog a spot when they could be getting a drink, posing in the mirror or fixing the camel toe they've got going in their stretch pants.

oh and grandpa, please don't put your leg on the bench when you're buck in the locker room. too much saggy skin there pops.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BOOMERBRADLEY's Avatar
    vCash

Make fun of the guys who can't walk past ANY mirror without staring at themselves.

At least that's what I do

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp
    i always ask if someone wants to get one in and i get up from the machine..but i hate when someone just comes up and takes the machine without asking first..

usually I do all 4 sets on a machine but get up after every set and see if anybody else needs to get one in
    Now that's acceptable. If he's a fellow 4 setter at once, I assume you just alternate.

The only time I've taken a machine without asking was when the guy was wandering around and wasn't making it obvious that he was between sets. However most of the jerkheads I'm referring to just sit there, doing their 30-45 second breather sitting on the machine. Not cool.

Sometimes it is just inconvenient to cycle like that for me. I don't mean getting up and rotating machines but once I start benching I'm geared up for that and I like to finish a particular exercise before going to something else. I guess it works for you but it seems to me that it would throw me off to do flat bench, flyes, incline press, and all the way back. Usually if someone is using a machine I need I work on a different exercise until they are done. Think of it this way: is it any different if everyone does 5 one minute sessions on the machine or one five minute session? It just seems a bit unnecessary to switch when you are going to be at it for the same total amount of time.

Although I will agree with the groups that take up something for an hour. At my gym groups of 3-4 guys will work out together and spend half their time standing around the machine gossiping when I just want to do my thing and get out.

Which brings up another gym issue. The gym isn't a social event. I go there to exercise and then leave, and yet people will try to talk to me. I don't mean to be rude but we aren't going to have a meaningful interaction in a gym. If you need a spot,fine, but I don't need corny jokes or chitchat from people I don't know when I'm trying to work-out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tbl
    So far it's 2 to 1 royal, so get with the program!

Think about it though... You're ready to move on to reverse butterflys, and there's one machine in the gym. There's 2 buddies that decided they're working chest and shoulders today, so they sit down one at a time, start the butterflies, do 4 sets, then do the reverse flies, 4 sets. That's a LONG time to be hogging one machine, holmes. It's bulljive.
    We have two machines though. I also set a blistering pace when I am in the gym. I do three sets in the time most people do one. Too many people **** around in the weightroom, and treat it as social time instead of work time. If people ****ed around less, there wouldn't be any problems.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMERBRADLEY
    Make fun of the guys who can't walk past ANY mirror without staring at themselves.

At least that's what I do
    I don't know any guy alive that can go into a gym and not look at themselves in the mirror at least once, including myself. When you get all pumped up and the veins are rocking, it's pretty cool.

vCash

I like to sprint past the old people on the indoor track. I sometimes even talk smack.

"c'mon granny, gotta pick that pace up to play with the big boys."

I also groan and scream on the treadmill.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Now that's acceptable. If he's a fellow 4 setter at once, I assume you just alternate.

The only time I've taken a machine without asking was when the guy was wandering around and wasn't making it obvious that he was between sets. However most of the jerkheads I'm referring to just sit there, doing their 30-45 second breather sitting on the machine. Not cool.
    yeah those guys irritate me too.my philosophy on it that if your not lifting, stand up. i know sometimes i ll notice somebody doing one set at a time on a machine and if i see its what im working that day, i ll tell him to jump in as he works around
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by piusbovis
    Which brings up another gym issue. The gym isn't a social event. I go there to exercise and then leave, and yet people will try to talk to me. I don't mean to be rude but we aren't going to have a meaningful interaction in a gym. If you need a spot,fine, but I don't need corny jokes or chitchat from people I don't know when I'm trying to work-out.
    Easy solution:

I'm in my world and I don't talk to a single person, other than "excuse me" or asking to get in a set.

I see your point about getting in the zone, but I like to progress all my muscles on the same cycles. I'm doing bi's, tri's, and shoulders one day, chest and back the next, and abs and legs the 3rd. When I'm doing them, I like to feel the intensity pick up on each of them, culminating with the heavy 6 to finish it off.

I guess ultimately it's just fine to do your sets all at once, as long as you get up and allow another guy to get in a set between.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp
    yeah those guys irritate me too.my philosophy on it that if your not lifting, stand up. i know sometimes i ll notice somebody doing one set at a time on a machine and if i see its what im working that day, i ll tell him to jump in as he works around
    You're a good man.

So now that we've established it's ok to do all the sets so long as you allow for others to get in, is it ok to confront the sitters? I do anyway, but I've hesitated with giving complete attitude, for fear of breaking an unwritten gym rule.

I don't think we've resolved the group of guys doing multiple sets. IMO, that's a no-no. Even if they are hitting it hard, it still takes up a lot of time.

vCash

What about someone doing their leg pull ups and when they lift and contract their stomach rip a big fart.. Do you acknowledge or not?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by H8HOGS
    What about someone doing their leg pull ups and when they lift and contract their stomach rip a big fart.. Do you acknowledge or not?
    If it's another dude, you compliment him. If it's a female, you walk away and pretend it didn't happen.

vCash

You're a good man.

So now that we've established it's ok to do all the sets so long as you allow for others to get in, is it ok to confront the sitters? I do anyway, but I've hesitated with giving complete attitude, for fear of breaking an unwritten gym rule.

I don't think we've resolved the group of guys doing multiple sets. IMO, that's a no-no. Even if they are hitting it hard, it still takes up a lot of time.
    Practices may very by location too. When in Rome, you know. Also, am I the only one who assumes guys who show up to the gym wearing matching clothes with their hair gelled at 8 A:M are gay no matter how much bigger than me they are?

vCash

The fart comment made me think of another one....

Body odor can happen to anybody. HOWEVER, when one comes to the gym, they should NOT already be stinking (their body or their clothes). They should also have much DO applied to prevent as much funk as possible. Correct?

I was there the other day and there was a couple that were literally making my gag reflex go off. When they got up from a machine, I got the spray and made broad, sweeping gestures to spray the whole machine down in a cloud, then wiped with long and hard strokes to overemphasize the point that they needed to get the F out of there. I ended up leaving b/c it was so bad that you couldn't go within 4 machines without them funking up your nose.

Is there any way to address that issue?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BOOMERBRADLEY's Avatar
    vCash

I don't know any guy alive that can go into a gym and not look at themselves in the mirror at least once, including myself. When you get all pumped up and the veins are rocking, it's pretty cool.
    The act of working out yes....

simply walking by, nay