Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Border Collie vs. Blue Heeler

My officemate and I were debating the relative merits of this two breeds of dog. I plan on getting a dog once I start running cattle on my own place, and right now I favor getting a blue heeler, my officemate says I should get a border collie. Do you folk on the board have an opinion of the merits of these dog breeds.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Border Collie vs. Blue Heeler

One is more annoying than the other. I hope that helps.

Of course, the more annoying one may be best suited.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

vCash

English Bulldog.
    I adore mine.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor
    English Bulldog.
    I adore mine.
    can it work cattle? If it can't it's more useless than a cat or rat terrier.
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    It can grab the SOB by the snout and wrestle it to the ground!

Administrator
    vCash

Border collie.

The only reason I say that is that they're a little more social, good with kids, etc. Heelers are great dogs - but they're very much a one-person dog.

Both are great working dogs. There's a guy out by me who advertises that he'll round up all your "hard to catch" cattle or it's free. He uses a couple heelers and a border collie and his horse. It's incredible to watch those dogs work. Of course when he dismounts and calls the dogs the heelers run up to about 6 feet behind him and lay down. If he moves, they move with him keeping the same distance at all times. If he stops, they lay.

The border collie just comes up to get petted, and will climb in his lap.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by royalfan5
    Oh, so you ain't got mice or rats in Nibbish? I won't own a cat, but my rat terriers are far from useless.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Oh, so you ain't got mice or rats in Nibbish? I won't own a cat, but my rat terriers are far from useless.
    My scale goes working dog>rat terrier or cat>other dogs. I love rat terriers and had several when I was younger, but cats do a better job on swallows and sparrows.

Soonerfans.com Elitist sooneron's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean
    Border collie.

The only reason I say that is that they're a little more social, good with kids, etc. Heelers are great dogs - but they're very much a one-person dog.

Both are great working dogs. There's a guy out by me who advertises that he'll round up all your "hard to catch" cattle or it's free. He uses a couple heelers and a border collie and his horse. It's incredible to watch those dogs work. Of course when he dismounts and calls the dogs the heelers run up to about 6 feet behind him and lay down. If he moves, they move with him keeping the same distance at all times. If he stops, they lay.

The border collie just comes up to get petted, and will climb in his lap.
    Yep, this was along the lines of what I was thinking.
    Oh sweet jesus. Its like watching the special olympics in high definition on here now.
    Soonerinabilene

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 skycat's Avatar
    vCash

Border Collie all the way. They can be a little dog aggressive, but they are very people friendly. (at least that's true of my particular dog).

Of course, his primary "job" is chasing frisbees. He would have made a fine working dog though.

vCash

the Border Collies i have been around are annoying as hell

the Blue Heelers seemed more reserved

Don`t think you can go wrong with either one,both are good working dogs if trained properly.My preference would be the blue heeler though.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Human Stupidity"

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Or you could go my route and get a mixed breed border collie blue heeler. I dont use mine as a working dog though. It is hard to do wrong with either breed. I feel that the heeler are a little more sturdy.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Also you want to make sure you get them from a working bloodline, whichever breed you choose.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 LilSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Had both, but I love blue heelers. I like that they are a one person dog, but then again I'm a selfish brat that needs the validation of a dog
    "Yea, and the shins of the wicked were smote."-Lil 22:18

and behold I looked in the sky, and saw a rider on a pale horse, the rider's name was death, and Lil Sooner followed after,....Revalations

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by LilSooner
    Had both, but I love blue heelers. I like that they are a one person dog, but then again I'm a selfish brat that needs the validation of a dog
    I like blue heelers more myself. It's funny to see blue heelers out in a yard with other dogs nipping at their feet trying to hurd them around.
    "Scientists announced that they have located the gene for alcoholism. Scientists say they found it at a party, talking way too loudly." -Conan O'brien

SoonerFans.com Elite Member proud gonzo's Avatar
    vCash

border collie.

they're cuter
    "I'm a mother****ing party all by myself."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BeetDigger's Avatar
    vCash

A Boarder Collie vs. Blue Healer thread getting a bunch of play. This isn't the SO that I know.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member crawfish's Avatar
    vCash

If you want those kind of dogs, make sure you spend lots and lots of time with 'em. They get neurotic when they're bored.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BajaOklahoma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeetDigger
    A Boarder Collie vs. Blue Healer thread getting a bunch of play. This isn't the SO that I know.
    Boarder Collie > Blue Heeler.
    I would actually take an OES, except they require a lot of grooming for a working dog.

The Westminster dog Show is going on. I am sad that Smokin' didn't make it as Best of Breed (OES). I'm thinking about a Komador for the next dog.
    The fans on here are known for their objectivity, fair play, open minded welcoming of others, debating in an upfront, firm, but respectful manner.....TexasLidig8r 11/21/04