Thread: Helicopters?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okla-homey's Avatar
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof...
    vCash

Helicopters?

The DoD has confirmed the last four helos we lost in SWA in recent weeks were shot down by the jihaadis. Methinks it's time for new tactics.

I am reminded of what Adolf Galland said about airpower generally: " a thunderbolt launched from an eggshell."

Methinks helicopters are much more eggshell-ly than fixed wing aircraft.

Has their relevance on the modern battlefield become eclipsed by the relative ease at which they can be taken out by Achmeds with MANPADS?

Discuss.
    "Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever they can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser; in fees, expenses and waste of time." -- Abraham Lincoln, (1809-1865) Lawyer and President who saved the United States.

"Without opportunities on the part of the poor to obtain expert legal advice, it is idle to talk of equality before the law"-- Justice Chas. Evans Hughes

vCash

Re: Helicopters?

It does seem that our helicopters can be hit with disturbing ease by every Mahmoud, Fuad, and Ali but is there a better way of accomplishing the missions done by helicopters? Do we have an effective helicopter substitute?
    For the good old American lifestyle: For the money, for the glory, and for the fun... mostly for the money.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 reevie's Avatar
    vCash

What do you want to see Homey? AC-130s or A-10s?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okla-homey
    Has their relevance on the modern battlefield become eclipsed by the relative ease at which they can be taken out by Achmeds with MANPADS?

Methinks helicopters are much more eggshell-ly than fixed wing aircraft.
    Personally, I don't think helicopters are obsolete, but I do think they'll want to change to unmanned versions soon. You get rid of the need to carry a person, and you can make the thing much much smaller, which in turn makes it much harder to hit, and you have the added bonus of not having to worry about the person in it -- if the thing gets shot down, just drop a bomb on it or activate a self-destruct to prevent enemy salvage.

(Of course, fixed wing will probably want to go this way too, for those reasons and the fact that machines are much more tolerant of G-forces. And all of this assumes you can be reasonably confident of the security and robustness of your communications.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member 1stTimeCaller's Avatar
    vCash

I think a change in tactics would probably do the trick
    one day

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jerk's Avatar
    vCash

I think that when we find out Iran is the one who's selling the jihadis small light portably AA missiles, we will then have an excuse to do what needs to be done.

bye bye amehnutjob
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Fred Bastiat

vCash

Double poster!
    Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill
    You go Boy trying to follow your logic here Is like chasin a chicken .

vCash

Wink Re: Helicopters?

I really think things will be fine in Iran once we sit down and talk....