Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

We'll be laughing at this by 2020....

From CNN

Report to link global warming to humans
    POSTED: 1:39 p.m. EST, February 1, 2007
    Story Highlights• Climate experts putting final touches on global warming report
    • Panel says it is "very likely" that climate change is caused by humans
    • Report could influence government and business policy worldwide

Adjust font size:
    PARIS, France (AP) -- Officials from 113 countries agreed Thursday that a much-awaited international report will say that global warming was "very likely" caused by human activity, delegates to a climate change conference said.

Dozens of scientists and bureaucrats are editing the new report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in closed-door meetings in Paris.

Their report, which must be unanimously approved, is to be released Friday and is considered an authoritative document that could influence government and industrial policy worldwide.

Four participants told The Associated Press that the group approved the term "very likely" in Thursday's sessions. That means they agree that there is a 90 percent chance that global warming is caused by humans.

"That is a big move. I hope it is a powerful statement," said Jan Pretel, head of the department of climate change at the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute.

"I hope that policymakers will be quite convinced by this message," said Riibeta Abeta, a delegate from the island nation of Kiribati, which is worried about being overrun by rising seas. "The purpose is to get them moving."

The last report, in 2001, said global warming was "likely" caused by human activity. There had been speculation that the participants might try to change the wording this time to "virtually certain," which means a 99 percent chance. (Watch climate experts talk about our planet's grim future )

But the Chinese delegation was resistant to strong wording on global warming, said Barbados delegate Leonard Fields and Zimbabwe delegate Washington Zhakata.

China has increasingly turned to fossil fuels, which emit the greenhouse gases blamed for boosting the planet's temperature, to feed its huge and growing energy needs.

Delegates said the Chinese won the removal of the official definition of "very likely" from the text -- although scientists are not changing the definition.

The group also won approval for a footnote qualifying the "very likely" wording by suggesting it could change in the future: "Consideration of remaining uncertainties is based on current methodology."

The U.S. government delegation was not one of the more vocal groups in the debate over the "very likely" statement for man-made warming, said other countries' officials. Several delegates credited the head of the panel session, Susan Solomon, a top U.S. government climate scientist, with pushing through the agreement in just 90 minutes.

U.S. President George W. Bush acknowledged for the first time last month that global warming is occurring, but he remains opposed to mandatory regulations to cap greenhouse gas emissions that many nations favor.

The report will also say that global warming has led to stronger hurricanes, including those on the Atlantic Ocean such as 2005's Katrina, said Fields and other delegates. (Watch a preview of the report )

The panel did note that the increase in stronger storms differs in various parts of the globe, but that the storms that strike the Americas are global warming-influenced.

In 2001, the same panel had said there was not enough evidence to make such a conclusion.

This week's report will also mark a departure from a November 2006 statement by the World Meteorological Organization, which helped found the IPCC. The meteorological organization, after contentious debate, said it could not link past stronger storms to global warming.

Fields -- of Barbados, a country in the path of many hurricanes -- said the new wording was "very important. ... Insurance companies watch the language too."

The delegates, staring at a countdown clock showing how little time they have left before Friday's deadline, went into Thursday's talks well behind schedule and planned a late-night session.

A draft of the report predicts a temperature increase of between 1.5-5.8 Celsius (2.5-10.4 Fahrenheit) by the year 2100, though that could be adjusted.

Another contentious issue is predictions of sea level rise. Scientists are trying to incorporate concerns that their early drafts underestimate how much the sea level will rise by 2100 because they cannot predict how much ice will melt from Greenland and Antarctica.

In early drafts, scientists predicted a sea level rise of no more than 58 centimeters (23 inches) by 2100, but that does not include the ice sheet melts.

The report is being edited in English, then must be translated into five other languages. It will be a 12- to 15-page summary for policymakers in most of the world's countries. (Watch what would happen to San Francisco if sea levels rose 3 feet )

As the delegates hold their evening session, the Eiffel Tower, other Paris monuments and concerned citizens in several European countries were expected to switch off their lights for five minutes to call attention to energy conservation, heeding a call by French environmental campaigners.

Some experts said that while well-intentioned, the lights-out could actually consume more energy than it would conserve by requiring a power spike when the lights turn back on -- possibly causing brownouts or even blackouts.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jacru's Avatar
    vCash

Re: We'll be laughing at this by 2020....

pfft! I'm laughing now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm achieving "old fart" status. I'm not quite old enough yet, but I got the fart part nailed.

Soon to be Memphibian

Anchorage-->Tuscaloosa-->Memphis-->Huntsville
    vCash

Well, you guys living far from the coasts will be at least.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KABOOKIE's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Well, you guys living far from the coasts will be at least.
    If sea levels rose 3 feet in Alaska would anybody notice?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Harry Beanbag's Avatar
    vCash

I can't believe klatt hasn't made it in here yet.

2013 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS Osce0la's Avatar
    vCash

GLOBAL WARMING **** YEAH
    Quote Originally Posted by C&CDean View Post
    Besides, a bitch gotta party, yo.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KABOOKIE
    If sea levels rose 3 feet in Alaska would anybody notice?

I WOULD BE!

I'm at just about sea level.
    "The choices we discern as having been made in the Constitutional Convention impose burdens on governmental proceses that often seem clumsy, inefficient, even unworkable, but those hard choices were consciously made by men who had lived under a form of government that permitted arbitrary governmental acts to go unchecked." INS v. Chadha, 462 U.S. 919 (1983) (Burger, C.J.)

Yacht Rocker

vCash

Yeah, but don't you have a levee or something?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 jacru's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoarder
    ...and didn't you have a butt-load of gov't $ to improve it in case something bad happened? wait... is this NOLA?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm achieving "old fart" status. I'm not quite old enough yet, but I got the fart part nailed.

Soon to be Memphibian

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoarder
    Nope, but I do have some handy mountains to run to.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Kind of like how we now laugh at the 1970's global ice age hysteria.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rich
    Nope, but I do have some handy mountains to run to.
    you'll have a "bridge to nowhere" right?
    I'M A RULE BREAKER!

Lakeland, Fl - Where hurricanes cross paths.
    vCash

screw it, Im just getting a bigger air conditioner.
    An Education is what you get when you Read the Instructions,
    Experience is what you get if you don't...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUinFLA
    screw it, Im just getting a bigger air conditioner.
    If the Sea rises 3 feet , you will then have a House boat so you can just go where its cooler .
    Cause see Fla. will disapear

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill
    If the Sea rises 3 feet , you will then have a House boat so you can just go where its cooler .
    Cause see Fla. will disapear
    Heck 3 feet will only put me about 5 miles closer to the boat ramp.
    Im needing about 35 feet in order to have nice waterfront property.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 soonervegas's Avatar
    vCash

My bet is that it is nervous laughter.

vCash

I sat by a woman with a PhD in Geo Chemstry on a plane recently. She travels as a consultant on global warming relate issues and gives lectures at various universities. She had me extremely discomfited with the things she said concerning the environment and the world we will live in 50 years from now.

But after hearing all you experts chime in I feel much better.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUinFLA
    Heck 3 feet will only put me about 5 miles closer to the boat ramp.
    Im needing about 35 feet in order to have nice waterfront property.
    Hell I thot ALL of Fla was only like 2 ft or so above sealevel
    shows waht I know

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit
    I sat by a woman with a PhD in Geo Chemstry on a plane recently. She travels as a consultant on global warming relate issues and give levtures at various universities. She had me extremely discomfited with the things she said concerning the environment and the world we will live in 50 years from.

But after hearing all you experts chime in I feel much better.
    Im glad we could be a comfort for you .
    WTF is a levtures tho ? that might scare me to .

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill
    Im glad we could be a comfort for you .
    WTF is a levtures tho ? that might scare me to .
    It has to do with being up off the ground.
    Heck dude, he told you he was on an airplane.